Car Rental at Catania Fontanarossa Airport
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Airport Car Rental
Lying in the shadow of Mount Etna, the mighty volcano that erupted spectacularly (albeit not too dangerously) as recently as 2021, Catania can feel like a unique place to visit — and the impression is only heightened by the city’s monumental history and scenic, accessible coastline. Those always hungry for new adventures can also use Sicily's second city as the base for exploring all of the island’s eastern coast. With that in mind, here are four interesting travel destinations in and around Catania:
- Piazza del Duomo. The main square of the city, Piazza del Duomo is both Catania’s beating heart and the location of many of its most notable historic attractions. No visit to the city is complete with at least some time spent here. Landmarks include the Duomo itself (also called the Cathedral of Saint Agatha of Sicily), the Amerano Fountain, the Diocesan Museum, and two palaces.
- Castello Ursino. Built in the 13th century at the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II’s behest, the distinctive Ursino Castle is one of the most impressive buildings on Sicily. Nowadays, it is home to the interesting Catania Civic Museum which has fascinating artifacts from the Greek, Etruscan, and Roman civilizations that are centuries older than the building itself.
- Roman Theater. About 2,000 years old, the Roman Theater used to hold spectacles for as many as 7,000 visitors at a time. Next to it is the smaller, slightly younger, but equally interesting Odeon, another ancient performance space. Other Roman sights around Catania include an amphitheater and the Achillean Baths.
- Mount Etna. Provided that the volcano is not erupting when you visit (check the forecast, although you can simply just look outside your window from many places in the city ), visiting Mount Etna is one of the greatest experiences in Catania. You can get quite high up the mountain by car — the main road from the city is Highway 18 and there is reasonably priced paid parking at the end of the road. The lava-covered valleys of the mountain are just as fascinating as the views of the city and sea below. Hiking around the top part of Mount Etna requires hiring a guide.
Top international routes
Most popular types of rental car
Car rental desks
Services and facilities
Nearest gas station
Popular one-way rentals
- Palermo (205 km / 127 mi). The capital of Sicily, Palermo is one of the largest and most interesting cities in Italy. Palermo was ruled by Greeks, Moors, Normans, and other great civilizations at different times in history, and this rich heritage can be found in the city’s art, architecture, and cuisine.
- Comiso (91 km / 56 mi). A scenic town on the southern coast of Sicily, Comiso is a lovely place to visit. Its more famous neighbor, Ragusa, is also worth seeing thanks to its great concentration of historic churches and palaces.
- Naples (601 km / 373 mi). The capital of the Campania region is a long drive from Catania (including a ferry trip from Sicily to the Italian mainland), but the trip north is worth it. Located right next to Mount Vesuvius and with one of the largest old towns in the world, it is a mecca of history, culture, and cuisine.
- Trapani (311 km / 193 mi). Located in the northeastern corner of Sicily, Trapani is home to a beautiful city waterfront and long surrounding beaches. The city has other attractions as well, with the Museum of the History and the Sea the chief one among them.
- Noto (93 km / 58 mi). The small city of Noto is a very popular day-trip destination for both inhabitants and visitors of Catania. Located a few kilometers away from the coast, it is home to absolutely amazing Baroque architecture, with the San Nicolo Cathedral and Ducezio Palace the two brightest jewels in that crown.
- Tropea (220 km / 137 mi). Located in the region of Calabria, Tropea’s beautiful Tyrrhenian Sea beaches have been praised by visitors for millenia and continue to attract the lovers of the sun and the sea to this day. The city is also famous for its red onions, so much so that there’s even a gelato ice cream made out of it - trying it will be a highlight of any trip to Tropea.
Catania Fontanarossa Airport
- IATA: CTA
- ICAO: LICC
- Name: Catania-Fontanarossa Airport (CTA)
- Distance from city: 2.5 miles / 4 km
Top 7 Locations near Catania Fontanarossa Airport
Car Rental at Catania Port from $17.40 per day4.3 km / 2.7 miles away
Car Rental at Comiso Airport from $18.10 per day66.3 km / 41.2 miles away
Car Rental at Pozzallo Port from $35.09 per day85.9 km / 53.4 miles away
Car Rental in Palermo Mondello from $252.48 per day174.1 km / 108.2 miles away
Car Rental at Palermo Airport from $1.42 per day190.6 km / 118.4 miles away
Car Rental at Trapani Airport from $5.33 per day232.2 km / 144.3 miles away
Car Rental at Pantelleria Airport from $38.48 per day283.9 km / 176.4 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices the lowest at Catania Fontanarossa Airport?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
For how long do renters keep their vehicles at Catania Fontanarossa Airport?
What is the most popular time of year to rent a car at Catania Fontanarossa Airport?
Car Rental Information
|Popular suppliers||Surprice, Felirent, RentSmart24, Viaggiare, RentalPlus|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Station wagons|
|Lowest price||$1 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Viaggiare||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|RentalPlus||Fiat Panda||5||1||Medium cars|
|Surprice||Hyundai i10||3||1||Small cars|
|Felirent||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|Viaggiare||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|ACARENT||Citroen C1||5||1||Small cars|
|RentSmart24||Fiat Panda||5||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|ACARENT||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|GaldieriRent||Citroën C3||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.