Car Rental Catania
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Catania?
Catania is a good place to visit by car. There’s plenty to explore in all parts of the city, and having your own ride will also let you to visit nearby villages, beaches, and other interesting sites
Top ways to enter Catania
- Catania Airport: Located just 4.3 km (2.6 mi) from the city center, Catania Airport serves nearly 10 million passengers every year.
- Comiso Airport: The small and cozy Comiso Airport is located about 85 km (53 mi) from Catania and provides connections with both domestic destinations and countries like Malta, the United Kingdom, Belgium, and Germany.
Useful city facts
- Catania enjoys extremely hot summers, with temperatures often exceeding 30 °C (86 °F). Winters are mild and see significantly more precipitation than summers.
- Catania is famous for its cuisine, and many iconic Italian dishes like Pasta alla Norma originate in the city.
Top destinations and activities
- The city center. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Catania’s center has some of the most impressive baroque architecture in the whole Italy. Important sites like Piazza del Duomo square with its Elephant Fountain and Sant’Agata Cathedral that houses Diocesan Museum.
- Roman Theater. First made by Greeks, then rebuilt by Romans, the theater and the neighboring Odeon are reminders of the civilizations that once populated Catania.
- Via Etnea. This avenue, often called Las Ramblas of Catania after its famous Barcelona counterpart, is the most active part of the city, thanks to its central location, many attractions, and beautiful architecture.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of a vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Mount Etna. With its solid lava rivers and dramatic views of the city below, the famous volcano is fascinating place to explore. Do keep in mind that its summit is more than 3000 m (9840 ft) above sea level, therefore it’s always cold there. The mountain’s northern side, Etna Nord, cannot be reached by public transportation, so you’ll need your own rental car.
- The Riviera dei Ciclopi. Northeast of Catania, these three villages are as rich in legends and cliff top castles as they are in atmosphere.
- Ragusa. With history on every step, nearby Ragusa is one of Sicily’s most interesting inland cities.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Italy is the Fiat Panda, although travelers also tend to pick the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500 a lot. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Palermo: Sicily’s capital and Catania’s rival, Palermo is famous for its churches, ships, and wines.
- Inland Sicily: Most travelers only explore the perimeter of Sicily’s coastline, but traveling into its wild and hospitable heart.
- Mainland Italy: Large and diverse, the mainland can be reached in just a couple of hours and make for a great next stop on your vacation.
Car Rental Prices in Catania
- Station wagons - from $85 per day
- Large cars - from $85 per day
- Medium cars - from $39 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $172 per day
- Small cars - from $25 per day
- SUVs - from $188 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are many things you can do to get a good rental deal in Catania:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Catania is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 57% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 6 Locations near Catania
Catania, Downtown Car Rentals from $16.09 per day
Catania Fontanarossa Airport Car Rentals from $23.09 per day
Comiso Airport Car Rentals from $30.70 per day66.3 km / 41.2 miles away
Palermo Airport Car Rentals from $32.09 per day190.6 km / 118.4 miles away
Trapani Airport Car Rentals from $32.11 per day232.2 km / 144.3 miles away
Pantelleria Airport Car Rentals from $4.46 per day283.9 km / 176.4 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Catania?
What’s the usual rental length in Catania?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Catania?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Sicily By Car||Ford Fiesta||4||1||Small cars|
|Car2Move||Citroen C1||2||Small cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|JoyRent||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Optimo Rent||Toyota Aygo||3||2||Small cars|
|Car2Move||New Lancia Ypsilon||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 20 Suppliers for Catania in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.6 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email