Car Rental at Heraklion Airport
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Airport Car Rental
The main city on Crete, Heraklion is a great destination to visit. Home to ancient sites, interesting museums, and splendid beaches, it packs a surprisingly diverse array of attractions. Heraklion can also serve as a hub for exploring the rest of Crete, especially the eastern part of the island. Here are three of its most interesting attractions:
- Palace of Knossos. Sometimes called Europe’s oldest city, the Palace of Knossos was a political and sacred center of the Minoan civilization. Predating even the Ancient Greeks, little is known about this fascinating culture, so the archaeological site with its remaining frescoes and chambers offers a fascinating insight into their lives. According to legend, Knossos was also where the labyrinth of the Minotaur was located. The palace is located about 5 km (3 miles) south of the modern Heraklion center and can be reached by car in about ten minutes.
- Koules. Although much more recent, the Koules Fortress is another emblem of Heraklion and Crete. While research suggests it might have first been fortified during the 9th century when the island was a Muslim emirate, the fort acquired its present, well-known form during Venetian rule in the 16th century. Having protected the city during numerous fights and sieges, the fortress symbolizes the resilience of Cretans.
- Rethymno. Located roughly halfway between Heraklion and Chania, the two largest cities of Crete, little Rethymno is a great destination for a day-trip. Retaining much of its historical architecture, including the beautiful old town, the town has a special atmosphere, and the beaches are usually less busy than those around Heraklion. The trip from Heraklion to Rethymno takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes by car.
Top international routes
Most popular types of rental car
Car rental desks
Services and facilities
Nearest gas station
Popular one-way rentals
- Agios Nikolaos (62 km / 38 mi). Located on the northeastern coast of the island, Agios Nikolaos is one of the most popular tourist destinations on Crete. Thousands of travelers come here every year to enjoy its nice beaches, quaint surrounding villages, and nearby islands that can be accessed by boat.
- Chania (142 km / 88 mi). The other large city of Crete, Chania has plenty of sites to visit and things to do. Some of the highlights are the well-preserved Etz Hayyim Synagogue, the Archaeological Museum, the old Venetian port, and some of the best restaurants on Crete.
- Hersonissos (25 km / 15 mi). A small city located roughly halfway between Heraklion and Agios Nikolaos, Hersonissos is a classical coastal party town - come summer, its long and built-up coastal strip will be full of beach bars, restaurants, and impromptu celebrations.
- Ierapetra (96 km / 59 mi). Another beach city, but with a much more relaxed vibe, Ierapetra and the surrounding southeastern coast is a great day-trip destination from Heraklion. The town is often claimed to be the warmest place in Europe and is nearly equidistant from mainland Greece, Turkey in Asia, and Libya in Africa. In addition to beautiful beaches, the town is also home to a nearby donkey sanctuary.
Crete Airport Heraklion (HER)
- IATA: HER
- ICAO: LGIR
- Name: Crete Airport Heraklion (HER)
- Size: Large Airport
- Aircraft movements (per year): 50,754
- Passengers (per year): 7,480,408
- Distance from City: 3.1 miles / 5 km E of town
- Phone: 302810397800
- Email: email@example.com
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices cheapest at Heraklion Airport?
What’s the most popular rental length at Heraklion Airport?
Which is the busiest car rental month at Heraklion Airport?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Ok Rent A Car||Nissan Micra||4||2||Small cars|
|RightCars||Hyundai i10||4||1||Small cars|
|RightCars||Toyota Aygo||3||1||Small cars|
|RightCars||VW Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Suzuki Celerio||5||1||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Fiat Panda||5||2||Small cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.