Car Rental at Crete Airport Heraklion
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Airport Car Rental
The main city on Crete, Heraklion is a great destination to visit. Home to ancient sites, interesting museums, and splendid beaches, it packs a surprisingly diverse array of attractions. Heraklion can also serve as a hub for exploring the rest of Crete, especially the eastern part of the island. Here are three of its most interesting attractions:
- Palace of Knossos. Sometimes called Europe’s oldest city, the Palace of Knossos was a political and sacred center of the Minoan civilization. Predating even the Ancient Greeks, little is known about this fascinating culture, so the archaeological site with its remaining frescoes and chambers offers a fascinating insight into their lives. According to legend, Knossos was also where the labyrinth of the Minotaur was located. The palace is located about 5 km (3 miles) south of the modern Heraklion center and can be reached by car in about ten minutes.
- Koules. Although much more recent, the Koules Fortress is another emblem of Heraklion and Crete. While research suggests it might have first been fortified during the 9th century when the island was a Muslim emirate, the fort acquired its present, well-known form during Venetian rule in the 16th century. Having protected the city during numerous fights and sieges, the fortress symbolizes the resilience of Cretans.
- Rethymno. Located roughly halfway between Heraklion and Chania, the two largest cities of Crete, little Rethymno is a great destination for a day-trip. Retaining much of its historical architecture, including the beautiful old town, the town has a special atmosphere, and the beaches are usually less busy than those around Heraklion. The trip from Heraklion to Rethymno takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes by car.
Top international routes
Most popular types of rental car
Car rental desks
Services and facilities
Nearest gas station
Popular one-way rentals
- Agios Nikolaos (62 km / 38 mi). Located on the northeastern coast of the island, Agios Nikolaos is one of the most popular tourist destinations on Crete. Thousands of travelers come here every year to enjoy its nice beaches, quaint surrounding villages, and nearby islands that can be accessed by boat.
- Chania (142 km / 88 mi). The other large city of Crete, Chania has plenty of sites to visit and things to do. Some of the highlights are the well-preserved Etz Hayyim Synagogue, the Archaeological Museum, the old Venetian port, and some of the best restaurants on Crete.
- Hersonissos (25 km / 15 mi). A small city located roughly halfway between Heraklion and Agios Nikolaos, Hersonissos is a classical coastal party town - come summer, its long and built-up coastal strip will be full of beach bars, restaurants, and impromptu celebrations.
- Ierapetra (96 km / 59 mi). Another beach city, but with a much more relaxed vibe, Ierapetra and the surrounding southeastern coast is a great day-trip destination from Heraklion. The town is often claimed to be the warmest place in Europe and is nearly equidistant from mainland Greece, Turkey in Asia, and Libya in Africa. In addition to beautiful beaches, the town is also home to a nearby donkey sanctuary.
Crete Airport Heraklion (HER)
- IATA: HER
- ICAO: LGIR
- Name: Crete Airport Heraklion (HER)
- Size: Large Airport
- Aircraft movements (per year): 50,754
- Passengers (per year): 7,480,408
- Distance from City: 3.1 miles / 5 km E of town
- Phone: 302810397800
- Email: email@example.com
Top 20 Locations near Heraklion Airport
Car Rental at Heraklion Port from $8.14 per day1.1 km / 0.7 miles away
Car Rental Kokkini Hani Arina Beach Resort from $6.45 per day7.8 km / 4.8 miles away
Car Rental Hersonissos Lyttos Beach hotel from $6.73 per day17.5 km / 10.9 miles away
Car Rental in Hersonissos with Hotel Delivery from $12.94 per day19.8 km / 12.3 miles away
Car Rental Malia Ikaros Beach Resort & Spa from $6.73 per day26.9 km / 16.7 miles away
Car Rental at Agios Nikolaos Port from $19.82 per day52.9 km / 32.9 miles away
Car Rental at Sitia Public Airport from $23.05 per day86.8 km / 53.9 miles away
Car Rental at Crete Airport Chania from $8.22 per day93.7 km / 58.2 miles away
Car Rental in Chania with Hotel Delivery from $8.22 per day104.9 km / 65.2 miles away
Car Rental at Chania Old Port from $8.22 per day105.1 km / 65.3 miles away
Car Rental at Santorini Port from $17.51 per day119.5 km / 74.3 miles away
Car Rental at Santorini Airport from $10.08 per day121.2 km / 75.3 miles away
Car Rental at Milos Airport from $16.62 per day162.6 km / 101.1 miles away
Car Rental at Karpathos Airport from $18.58 per day180.5 km / 112.2 miles away
Car Rental at Paros Airport from $12.84 per day185.7 km / 115.4 miles away
Car Rental at Paros Port from $23.05 per day194.1 km / 120.6 miles away
Car Rental at Naxos Airport from $20.95 per day194.4 km / 120.8 miles away
Car Rental at Naxos Port from $20.95 per day197.3 km / 122.6 miles away
Car Rental at Kythira Airport from $18.58 per day219.1 km / 136.2 miles away
Car Rental at Syros Airport from $14.84 per day232.3 km / 144.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices cheapest at Crete Airport Heraklion?
What’s the most popular rental length at Crete Airport Heraklion?
Which is the busiest car rental month at Crete Airport Heraklion?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Carwiz||Suzuki Celerio||5||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Hyundai i20||5||2||Medium cars|
|AddCar||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Opel Corsa||5||2||Small cars|
|RightCars||VW Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Toyota Aygo||3||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Skoda Citigo||4||1||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Fiat Panda||5||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||Peugeot 308||5||3||Large cars|