Another factor many overlook when booking a rental car is where they will actually pick it up. Many just assume that if they find a car at the airport it will be quick and easy.
Some pick-up location types can be a hassle, especially if your flight is delayed.
It's best to choose a supplier that is either in the terminal or in the car rental center of the airport.
Those that offer free shuttle service are also convenient, though it will take more time for you to get to their location.
Suppliers that offer Meet & Greet can provide great service, but it may be a struggle if your flight is delayed, as they may leave the airport after waiting a certain amount of time.
Here's a complete description of each type:
- In terminal - An easy way to pick up your rental is by choosing a supplier with a desk in the airport terminal. Most of these desks are right in the baggage claim area.
- Meet & Greet - Someone will meet you at the airport. They may either bring the car to the airport for you or take you to their location to pick it up. It's important that you enter your flight number if you choose Meet & Greet.
- Free shuttle service - You'll have to find a shuttle (usually right outside the terminal) to the supplier's location, which could be at the airport or just outside of it. The shuttle usually takes no more than 15 minutes.
- Car rental center - You'll go to the center where all of the suppliers at the airport are located. At some airports, this center is right next to the terminal, while others are a shuttle ride away — this shuttle will be the same for all suppliers.
- Outside of terminal - You'll find the supplier's desk outside the terminal but on the grounds of the airport. Usually, it will be within walking distance of the terminal or the car rental center.
You can filter to see just offers with the pick-up type you want on the sidebar of the search results. When searching on the mobile version, you can find the filters in the upper-right corner under All Filters.