Car Rental Greece
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Greece?
Greece is a great country to visit by car. From historical landmarks and beautiful cities to endless beaches and untamed nature areas, it is a special place with a lot to offer. Having your own car is the best way to experience all of it.
Top ways to enter Greece
- Athens Airport: Greece’s largest airport hosts flights to and from most European countries, as well as destinations in Asia and the Greater Middle East.
- Heraklion Airport: Mostly active during summer, Crete’s largest airport is served by about 60 airlines.
- Thessaloniki Airport: The airport in Greece’s second city is the best way to access the country’s north.
- By land: If your rental car provider permits it, it is possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Greece. Do keep in mind, however, that different visa requirements may be in place for citizens of different countries. Some large international airports near Greece are Sofia Airport in Bulgaria, Tirana Airport in Albania, and Istanbul Airport in Turkey.
- Hotels: It is also worth noting that rental cars can be picked up at various hotels across Greece. This is a convenient option if you plan to stay at the resort most of the time but would like to make a day trip or two at some point. Examples locations where this is available are the Atlantica Princess Hotel on Rhodes, the Lindian Village Hotel also on Rhodes, and the Grecotel Olympia Oasis Hotel in the Peloponnese.
- Small Airports and Ferry Terminals: As many rental car providers may not allow you to take your rental car on ferries, rental cars a widely available at ferry terminals. In addition, many small airports on the islands also have rental cars available if you chose to fly rather than sail. Mytilene International Airport on Lesbos is a good example.
Top cities and places to visit
- Athens: Birthplace of Classical Greece, Athens is home to ancient landmarks like the Acropolis, the Ruins of the Temple of Zeus, and the Ancient Agora. The top of Lykavittos Hill is the place to get the view of the whole city.
- Crete: Greece’s largest island and once the home of the Minoan Civilization, Crete is historic and fun in equal parts.
- Thessaloniki: Not only an interesting destination in its own right, but Thessaloniki is also less than three hours from Mount Athos and Meteora.
- Aegean Islands: Though there are too many to name, the Greek islands of the Aegean Sea have many of the best beaches in Europe.
- Ionian Islands: Influenced by nearby Italy and once part of the Venetian Empire, the Ionian Islands have a unique culture and atmosphere. Corfu is the largest and most fun, while Zakynthos (also known as Zante) is often claimed to be the most beautiful.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Greece is the VW Polo, but travelers also love the Volkswagen Up and the Fiat Panda.
Driver licence requirements
The minimum age at which one can rent a car in Greece is 19 (from Centauro, for example). As in most other countries, drivers are required to have held a license for at least one year. Also, drivers under a certain age are charged a young driver fee. This fee is included in the price in the search results when you indicate your age.
One thing that is somewhat unique to Greece, is the requirement of an International Driving Permit. All renters from outside the European Union are required to show an International Driving Permit. Not having one can lead to the rental company refusing to provide you a car and the loss of any payment made.
Greece is bordered by Albania, North Macedonia, Bulgaria, and Turkey. Greece is a member of the Schengen Area, but none of its neighbors are (even though Bulgaria is a member of the European Union, it is not a member of the Schengen Area).
Each of Greece’s neighboring countries has its own visa policy. Depending on your citizenship, you may or may not need a visa to enter them. We advise getting in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs to find out about the visa requirements in each country that you’d like to visit.
In many European countries, it is almost a given that you can travel from one country to another with a rental car. In Greece, though, this is not the case. Only a few rental companies allow cars rented in Greece to leave the country. Enterprise and Alamo are two of these companies, though they only allow their cars to be taken to countries in the European Union (i.e., only Bulgaria from Greece’s immediate neighbors). For this, they also charge 90 euros for a green card and 10 euros per day.
Hertz, Avis, and Carwiz also allow their cars to be taken out of the country, though you must arrange this at least five days prior to the start of your rental period.
Most other rental companies in Greece explicitly state that they do not allow their cars to be taken outside of the country and that doing such will lead to hefty fines and/or void any insurance coverage.
Another popular question is whether it is possible to take a rental car on a ferry. This is asked time and time again on online travel forums often with no clear answer. Rental companies often respond to the question by stating that renters can take their cars on ferries but that the renter is fully responsible for any damage to the car which occurs boarding, on, or disembarking the ferry.
Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt, Hertz, Autounion, Carwiz, and Greenmotion all explicitly allow their cars to be taken on ferries. However, all require both advance notice and charge an extra fee (that is either per ferry trip or for the enter rental period). If you absolutely plan on taking your rental car on a ferry, then it is best to rent from one of these companies. Be aware, that, in most cases, you must return to the location where you picked up the car. Even if you were able to take the car to an island (or another island) and drop it off there, you would be charged not only a one-way rental fee but also the ferry fare for the car’s return trip (as the company will have to relocate it).
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular type of rental car in Greece is a mini, closely followed by economy and compact.
Top driving routes
Thessaloniki - Athens (501 km / 311 mi) The road between Greece’s two biggest cities will take you through nearly all of the mainland eastern Greece.
Heraklion - Chania (157 km / 95 mi) The route between the two largest cities on the island of Crete can be done in about three hours, but don’t be in a rush as there is plenty to explore on the way in terms of beaches, villages, and historic landmarks.
Athens - Kalamata (238 km / 148 mi) Starting in Athens and traveling southwest, you’ll soon reach the traditional region of Peloponnese, and its capital, Kalamata.
Car Rental Prices
- Convertibles - from $60 per day
- Station wagons - from $33 per day
- Large cars - from $47 per day
- Medium cars - from $33 per day
- People Carriers / Vans - from $79 per day
- Premium cars - from $110 per day
- Small cars - from $25 per day
- SUVs - from $66 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Greece:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Greece is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 65% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Most Popular Cities in Greece
Car Rental in Athens from $3.93 per day
Car Rental in Heraklion from $7.09 per day
Car Rental in Thessaloniki from $4.65 per day
Car Rental in Corfu from $6.16 per day
Car Rental in Chania from $9.00 per day
Car Rental in Rhodes from $7.86 per day
Car Rental in Santorini from $7.21 per day
Car Rental in Zakynthos from $5.06 per day
Car Rental in Mykonos from $10.43 per day
Car Rental in Kefalonia from $11.88 per day
Car Rental in Samos from $10.62 per day
Car Rental in Kalamata from $11.88 per day
Car Rental in Preveza from $5.25 per day
Car Rental in Kos from $11.88 per day
Car Rental in Paros from $7.45 per day
Car Rental in Naxos from $15.45 per day
Car Rental in Skiathos from $11.88 per day
Car Rental in Lesvos from $11.88 per day
Car Rental in Ioannina from $13.79 per day
Car Rental in Chios from $11.88 per day
Top 20 Most Popular Locations in Greece
Car Rental at Athens Airport from $3.93 per day
Car Rental at Heraklion Airport from $7.09 per day
Car Rental at Thessaloniki Airport from $4.65 per day
Car Rental at Corfu Airport from $6.16 per day
Car Rental at Chania Airport from $9.00 per day
Car Rental at Rhodes Airport from $7.86 per day
Car Rental at Santorini Airport from $7.21 per day
Car Rental at Zakynthos Airport from $5.06 per day
Car Rental at Mykonos Airport from $10.43 per day
Car Rental at Kefalonia Airport from $11.88 per day
Car Rental at Samos Airport from $10.62 per day
Car Rental at Kalamata Airport from $11.88 per day
Car Rental at Preveza Airport from $5.25 per day
Car Rental at Kos Airport from $11.88 per day
Car Rental at Paros Airport from $7.45 per day
Car Rental at Skiathos Airport from $11.88 per day
Car Rental at Naxos Airport from $15.45 per day
Car Rental at Athens, Downtown from $11.88 per day
Car Rental at Ioannina Airport from $13.79 per day
Car Rental at Lesvos, Airport Mytilene (Lesbos) from $11.88 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Greece?
What’s the average rental length in Greece?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Greece?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Rental Agent||Make / Model||Doors||Luggage||Type|
|Surprice||Toyota Aygo||3||2||Small cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Up||5||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Surprice||Hyundai i20||5||2||Medium cars|
|Surprice||Citroen C1||5||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Nissan Micra||5||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Suzuki Alto||4||1||Small cars|
|Autounion||Citroen C1||4||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Opel Corsa||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 20 Suppliers for Greece in 2019
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.6 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email