Car Rental at Cairns Airport
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Airport Car Rental
The gateway to Far North Queensland, Cairns has long served as a popular tourist destination. A gateway not only to the Great Barrier Reef but also the ancient rainforest of the Daintree, the cool hinterlands of Atherton, and the road to the remote Cape York Peninsula, Cairns holds the keys to some of the country's most remarkable natural wonders.
- Great Barrier Reef. A unique ecosystem and one of the seven natural wonders of the world, the Great Barrier Reef is the main attraction of Northern Australia. Whether you visit one of the islands, go scuba diving or snorkeling, or simply enjoy the views, this is one attraction that is not to be missed. A number of reef tours take off from Cairns, as well as some of the surrounding towns and villages.
- The Daintree. Where the forest meets the reef, the Daintree Rainforest some 100km north of Cairns is one of Australia’s most awe-inspiring natural wonders. The rainforest here is estimated to be over 135 million years old, some of the last remnants of the vast forest that once covered the entire continent of Australia. Its striking beauty, unfathomable age, and incredible diversity make it one of the country's most sought-after destinations.
- The Atherton Tablelands. A high plateau behind coastal Cairns, the Atherton Tablelands is renowned for its lush rainforest, incredible waterfalls, native fauna, and local produce. The towns of Millaa Millaa, Yungerburra, and Kuranda and the waterfall circuit are just some of the highlights of this spectacular region.
- Cape York. The trip to the most northern point of Australia is no easy feat. One of the country's final frontiers, traversing this untamed wilderness makes for a challenging journey, one where self-sufficiency is demanded. Rough dirt roads, unpredictable weather and long stretches between outpost towns Cape York is a true adventure but one that will reward travelers with astonishing natural beauty.
- National Parks. While the reefs and beaches are undoubtedly amazing, there’s also a lot of nature to enjoy away from the coast. Cairns is surrounded by an absolute wealth of nature preserves a couple of hours' drive (or less) from the city. These include the Kuranda State Forest and Hann Tableland National Park to the north; Danbulla National Park to the west; and Gadgarra, Wooroonooran, Tully Falls, and Tully Gorge National Parks to the south. The most adventurous will also try to travel to the truly wild and pristine national parks of northernmost Queensland, though reaching these parts require a lot of planning and the help of a tour or a guide.
- Cairns Botanic Gardens. Though there are a lot of truly tropical areas and nature preserves within a day’s ride of Cairns, it’s also possible to enjoy true forest without leaving the city. Divided into different sections, like the Mangroves and Rainforest Boardwalks and the Aboriginal Plant Use Garden, the area also has both saltwater and freshwater lakes and is home to a large number of tropical birds.
Top international routes
There is no need to worry about toll roads unless you plan a road trip that includes traveling south to Brisbane or the states of New South Wales or Victoria. See their respective articles for more information about how to pay for the tolls.
Most popular types of rental car
Car rental desks
Services and facilities
Nearest gas station
Popular one-way rentals
- Townsville (352 km / 219 miles)
- Mackay (738 km / 459 miles)
- Rockhampton (1,070 km / 665 miles)
- Brisbane (1,689 km / 1,050 miles)
Cairns Airport (CNS)
- IATA: CNS
- ICAO: YBCS
- Name: Cairns Airport (CNS)
- Distance from city: 3.1 miles / 5 km
Top 20 Locations near Cairns Airport
Car Rental at Townsville Airport from $33.14 per day284.3 km / 176.7 miles away
Car Rental at Whitsunday Coast Airport from $79.73 per day497.2 km / 308.9 miles away
Car Rental at Mackay Airport from $57.71 per day597.2 km / 371.1 miles away
Car Rental at Rockhampton Airport from $33.14 per day874.0 km / 543.1 miles away
Car Rental at Gladstone Airport from $55.80 per day962.9 km / 598.3 miles away
Car Rental in Downtown Bundaberg from $36.65 per day1120.5 km / 696.2 miles away
Car Rental at Bundaberg Airport from $40.32 per day1121.9 km / 697.1 miles away
Car Rental in Downtown Hervey Bay from $41.04 per day1183.2 km / 735.2 miles away
Car Rental at Hervey Bay Airport from $39.74 per day1193.4 km / 741.5 miles away
Car Rental at Sunshine Coast Airport from $19.41 per day1318.9 km / 819.5 miles away
Car Rental at Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport from $37.42 per day1343.5 km / 834.8 miles away
Car Rental in Brisbane Brendale from $73.85 per day1377.4 km / 855.9 miles away
Car Rental at Brisbane Airport from $22.71 per day1391.1 km / 864.4 miles away
Car Rental in Brisbane Ascot from $32.89 per day1392.8 km / 865.4 miles away
Car Rental at Brisbane Fortitude Valley from $29.62 per day1393.4 km / 865.8 miles away
Car Rental in Brisbane (Downtown) from $27.45 per day1393.5 km / 865.9 miles away
Car Rental in Brisbane Tingalpa from $35.10 per day1398.0 km / 868.7 miles away
Car Rental in Brisbane Rocklea from $35.10 per day1400.7 km / 870.4 miles away
Car Rental in Brisbane Archerfield from $74.34 per day1402.6 km / 871.5 miles away
Car Rental at Alice Springs Airport from $36.57 per day1454.7 km / 903.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices the lowest at Cairns Airport?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
For how long do renters keep their vehicles at Cairns Airport?
What is the most popular time of year to rent a car at Cairns Airport?
Car Rental Information
|Popular suppliers||Bargain Car Rentals, EastCoast Car Rentals, Jucy, SIXT, Alamo|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Medium cars, Large cars, Small cars|
|Lowest price||$32 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||Bargain Car Rentals|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Bargain Car Rentals||Kia Stonic||4||2||SUVs|
|Jucy||Hyundai Accent||5||2||Medium cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Hyundai Accent||4||2||Medium cars|
|EastCoast Car Rentals||MG ZS||5||2||SUVs|
|Jucy||Toyota Corolla Sedan||4||2||Large cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||MG HS||4||2||SUVs|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Large cars|
|EastCoast Car Rentals||Hyundai i30||4||2||Large cars|
|EastCoast Car Rentals||Kia Picanto||5||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Hyundai Kona||5||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.