Car Rental in Hungary
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Hungary?
From majestic castles to cave baths, from Lake Balaton to Budapest, Hungary is a great country to travel around by car. The distances are small, the locals are hospitable and the cuisine is among the best you’ll find in Europe. Hungary’s equally fascinating neighbors offer plenty of opportunities for fun side trips.
One-way Car Rentals in Hungary
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Hungary and drop off in another country:
- From Hungary to Austria - 170 offers from $36.82 per day
- From Hungary to Slovakia - 104 offers from $39.76 per day
- From Hungary to Germany - 25 offers from $37.98 per day
Top ways to enter Hungary
- Budapest Airport: Hungary’s largest airport hosts flights to and from nearly European country and many locations beyond.
- Debrecen Airport: Although much smaller than the one in Budapest, this international airport has flights to and from Munich, Moscow, London, Tel Aviv, and many other destinations.
- By land: It’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Hungary. Some large international airports near Hungary are Vienna Airport in Austria, Belgrade Airport in Serbia, and Ljubljana Airport in Slovenia.
Top cities and places to visit
- Budapest. It is fair to say that Budapest, the primate city of Hungary and the former imperial capital, is one of the most interesting destinations in Europe. In addition to monumental architecture in a well-preserved city center, you’ll also find distinct neighborhoods, heritage sites from different eras, a busy cultural life, and interesting cuisine.
- Lake Balaton. Sometimes called the Hungarian Sea, Lake Balaton is not just the largest body of water in this landlocked Central European country, it’s also one of its most popular tourist destinations. From lakeside churches and castles to sandy beaches, hot springs to protected nature areas, the Balaton does not disappoint, especially if visited during the summer months.
- Szeged. Sometimes called the sunniest city in Hungary and also known for its large student population, Szeged is a fun place to visit. Located in the south of the country near the borders of Serbia and Romania, it boasts plenty of notable Art Nouveau buildings, eclectic religious architecture, thermal baths, and fun nightlife.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Hungary is the Opel Astra, but the Audi A3 and the Skoda Fabia are also in high demand.
Driver's license requirements
- Hungary accepts all driver licenses issued in the European Union (EU).
- If your driver license is issued by a non-EU country, for it to be considered valid you’ll need a Hungarian visa. Another requirement is to have been in the EU for no more than six months at the time of the rental. If you’ve been in the EU longer, you’ll need a driver license issued by an EU country.
- If your driver license is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) or an official translation of your license into English or Hungarian.
- You must carry your driver license, not its copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver license for at least one or two years, depending on the car provider’s requirements.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car provider and car category, so make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking.
Hungary is bordered by Slovakia, Ukraine, Romania, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, and Austria. Hungary is a member of the Schengen Area, as are Slovakia, Austria, and Slovenia. Having a Schengen visa will permit you to enter Hungary as well as these three countries. Ukraine, Romania, Serbia, and Croatia are not members of the Schengen Area. Each of these countries has an individual visa policy, and you may or may not need a visa to enter them. We advise you to contact your Ministry of Foreign Affairs to find out about the visa requirements citizens of your country have for visiting each of these countries. Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The type of automobile most often rented in Hungary is economy, but intermediate and compact are also popular.
Top driving routes
- Hortobágy National Park. Located in the east of the country, Hortobágy is not only the largest national park in the country, but it is also one of the most distinct ones. Made up of a vast grassy steppe as far as the I can see that reminds of landscapes of Central Asia, the park is home to cultural sites like the Nine-arched Bridge, traditional villages that host exhibitions of local culture, and local wildlife like the red-footed falcon, water buffalo, and the wild (and extremely rare) Przewalski's horse. The drive from Budapest takes just over two hours.
- Bükk Mountains. Mostly made up of the aforementioned grasslands, Hungary is not blessed with the same impressive mountains as some of its neighbors like Slovakia, Austria, or Romania. Despite that, the most notable range in the country — the Bükk Mountains — can be lovely to explore. Located in the north of the country near the historic city of Eger (a worthwhile destination in its own right), the mountains and the national park of the same name are a great place for hiking and exploring its deep canyons and caves.
- Győr. Located in the west of the country, the historic city of Győr is best known for its well-preserved old town where architectural gems such as the Bishop’s Castle and Palace, Győr Basilica, and a number of other churches survive to this day. For a city of its size, there is also an impressive number of museums and galleries. The drive from Budapest takes only about 90 minutes, and Győr is about the same distance from Vienna and Bratislava, the capitals of neighboring Austria and Slovakia. While you might understandably be tempted to take a short trip across at least one of the borders, ask your rental car provider in advance to make sure they permit it.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $14 per day
- Large cars - from $13 per day
- Medium cars - from $8 per day
- Vans - from $33 per day
- Premium cars - from $84 per day
- Small cars - from $6 per day
- SUVs - from $13 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Hungary:
- Compare rates
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Hungary?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the average rental length in Hungary?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Hungary?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||19|
|Popular suppliers||Klass Wagen, Flizzr, Schiller Rent, GreenMotion, Dryyve|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Station wagons|
|Lowest price||$6 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||Klass Wagen|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Flizzr||Citroen C3||5||2||Small cars|
|Klass Wagen||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Klass Wagen||Peugeot 208||5||1||Small cars|
|Klass Wagen||Toyota Aygo||3||2||Small cars|
|Flizzr||Renault Captur||5||1||Medium cars|
|Klass Wagen||Skoda Scala||5||2||Medium cars|
|Klass Wagen||Volkswagen T-Cross||5||2||SUVs|
|Flizzr||Citroen C3 Aircross||5||3||Medium cars|
|Klass Wagen||Peugeot 2008||5||3||SUVs|
|Flizzr||Opel Corsa||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.