Car Rental in Lamezia Terme
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Lamezia Terme?
Lamezia Terme is a great place to visit. Although it is one of the smallest cities in Italy that has an international airport, there’s plenty of history to explore, from Norman and Arabic heritage to small picturesque villages that surround the city. Lamezia Terme is located in central Calabria, and many famous beach destinations of the region, such as Vibo Valentia, Capo Vaticano, and Cosenza, are easily reached from here, as are the famous neighboring regions, Campania, Basilicata, and Sicily.
One-Way Car Rentals in Lamezia Terme
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Lamezia Terme and drop off in another city include:
- From Lamezia Terme to Palermo - 162 offers from US$ 21.95 per day
- From Lamezia Terme to Brindisi - 153 offers from US$ 24.31 per day
- From Lamezia Terme to Naples - 41 offers from US$ 24.31 per day
- From Lamezia Terme to Reggio di Calabria - 100 offers from US$ 21.95 per day
- From Lamezia Terme to Catania - 162 offers from US$ 21.95 per day
Top ways to enter Lamezia Terme
- Lamezia Terme Airport: A small, but busy airport, it handled 2.7 million travelers in 2018. The airport is served by many low-cost carriers, including Ryanair, Volotea, and Eurowings. The airport is located near the sea coast, about 10km (6.2 miles) southwest of the city center, and can be reached in about 12 minutes.
- Crotone Airport: Another small Calabrian airport, as of 2019 Crotone-Sant’Anna only serves four routes connecting the city of Crotone to Milan, Bologna, and Verona in Italy as well as Nuremberg in Germany. Crotone Airport is about 90km (56 miles) east of Lamezia Terme and can be reached in one hour.
- Reggio di Calabria Airport: Serving the capital of Calabria region, as of July 2019 this airport only hosts domestic flights connecting it to a number of destinations in Central and Northern Italy. The airport is 136km (84.5 miles) southwest of Lamezia Terme, a distance that can be traveled in about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Brindisi Airport: Also known as Brindisi-Casale and Brindisi-Salento, this airport in the Apulia Region handled 2.4 million travelers in 2018. In addition to serving domestic routes, it also connects Southern Italy to Spain, the United Kingdom, Germany, Switzerland, and other European countries. The airport is 340km (211 miles) from Lamezia Terme and can be reached in about three and a half hours.
- Catania Airport: The busiest airport in Sicily, Catania-Fontanarossa serves about 10 million travelers every year. The airport is especially active during the summer months when it hosts flights by more than 20 airlines. Lamezia Terme is about 240km (149 miles) northeast of Catania and can be reached in about three hours. To get from Sicily to the Italian mainland, you’ll have to take a ferry, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- By rail: If you arrive in the city by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Lamezia Terme Centrale Railway Station.
Useful city facts
- Like the rest of Calabria, Lamezia Terme enjoys a Mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers. There is very little or no precipitation from May to August. Winters are mild and slightly more humid. The average high temperature is 29°C (85°F) in August, the warmest month, and 14°C (57°F) in January.
- Although the area’s history dates back to the Ancient Greek and Roman times, the municipality was officially only created in 1968 when settlements Nicastro, Sambiase, and Sant’Eufemia Lamezia were joined together to form Lamezia Terme. Nowadays, the city’s population is just over 70,000. The inhabitants of Lamezia Terme are called lametini.
Top destinations and activities
- Norman Castle. First built by the Ancient Greeks, the castle of Lamezia Terme was later significantly remade by Norman and Angevin rulers. Over the centuries, the castle crumbled under invasions and during earthquakes with only ruins surviving to this day. However, there is a haunting beauty about the place, especially since it sits on a hilltop at a height of 320m (1,050ft), and, naturally, the views of the city below are magnificent.
- The Bastion of the Knights of Malta. Built in the mid-16th century by the Spanish king of Naples, the bastion was given as a gift to the Military Order of Malta who at the time was in charge of protecting the coast from Ottoman attacks from the sea. Although life is much safer nowadays, the bastion has lost none of its historic grandeur.
- The Diocesan Museum. Over centuries, Calabria has been (and remains) home to many Catholic monasteries and dioceses. The Diocesan Museum of Lamezia Terme honors this heritage by displaying religious paintings and sculptures, sacred objects, and other relics. Many of the exhibits were in bad shape when the museum opened in the 1990s but have been carefully restored back to resemble their original form. In addition to Christian artifacts, the museum also has an impressive 12th-century Arab-Norman ivory case on display.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30km/h.
- Main highways are limited to 130km/h, non-major highways to 110km/h, and local roads to 90km/h. When it is raining, the limits are respectively lowered to 110km/h, 100km/h, and 80km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on your choice of route and the type of vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Pizzo Calabro. Let’s be honest - although there’s great historical and cultural heritage to be found in Lamezia Terme, most people visit the area for its stunning beaches. Located on a cliff over the Gulf of Saint Euphemia, Pizzo and its surrounding coast is one of the best places in the area to enjoy the sun and the sea. Just 28km (17 miles) southwest of Lamezia, Pizzo can be reached in about 20 minutes.
- Tropea. More than just a single settlement, the coastal stretch between Tropea and Capo Vaticano is arguably the most famous area of beaches in Calabria. Thousands of visitors come here every summer to suntan, swim, and do watersports. But there’s plenty to do in Tropea, too, from seeing the Norman church with its black Madonna to trying delicious local pastries. Located 61km (40 miles) south of Lamezia, Tropea can be reached in about one hour.
- Pollino National Park. The largest national park in Southern Italy, it includes a large stretch of the southern Apennine Mountains. A place of rugged beauty, it is great for hiking and is home to many wildlife species like the Italian wolf, Egyptian vulture, European otter, and lanner falcon. About 150km (93 miles) north of Lamezia, the national park can be reached in 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Lamezia Terme is the Peugeot 308, although many travelers also go for the Opel Crossland X and the Peugeot 108. The most popular rental car types are compact, mini, and intermediate.
- Naples. One of the oldest continuously-inhabited cities in Europe, Naples can even match Rome and Paris when it comes to impressive history. With a blend of unique architectural styles, landmarks like San Francesco di Paola church, and the nearby site of ancient Pompeii, it can be explored for days, if not weeks. Naples is 375km (233 miles) north of Lamezia and can be reached in four hours, but there are many fascinating stops on the way.
- Apulia. A unique and somewhat remote region, Apulia is a place of beautiful medieval cities like Bari (the region’s capital), Andria, and Alberobello, ancient olive gardens, and long Adriatic coastline. Although culturally influenced by Albanians and Greeks, Apulia is very much its own place. Bari is 325km (202 miles) northeast of Lamezia Terme and can be reached in about 3 hours and 40 minutes.
- Sicily. Home to a proud and unique culture, dramatic landscapes, delicious cuisine, and ancient cities, the island of Sicily would have enough attractions for a separate country. Most travelers stay around its coastal areas, but with a rental car, you can also explore the lesser-known, but magnificent inland parts. Start at Messina, the city nearest to the Italian mainland that’s just 130km (80 miles) southwest of Lamezia, then make your way from there. Keep in mind that Sicily can only be accessed by a ferry, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit you taking a rental car on one. If not, you can go to Messina by public transportation and pick up another rental car there.
Car Rental Prices in Lamezia Terme
- Station wagons - from $51 per day
- Large cars - from $79 per day
- Medium cars - from $37 per day
- Premium cars - from $304 per day
- Small cars - from $26 per day
- SUVs - from $52 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Follow these tips to land a great rental car in Lamezia Terme:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Lamezia Terme is the cheapest in March when renting a car is about 80% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 90% cheaper than renting a car in April. Come visit Calabria in early spring!
Top 20 Cities near Lamezia Terme
Rome Car Rentals from $13.28 per day446.1 km / 277.2 miles away
Milan Car Rentals from $12.80 per day969.4 km / 602.4 miles away
Naples Car Rentals from $11.32 per day276.1 km / 171.5 miles away
Turin Car Rentals from $14.12 per day995.6 km / 618.6 miles away
Venice Car Rentals from $11.43 per day800.5 km / 497.4 miles away
Bari Car Rentals from $10.98 per day252.1 km / 156.7 miles away
Pisa Car Rentals from $11.77 per day721.5 km / 448.3 miles away
Bologna Car Rentals from $13.18 per day748.6 km / 465.2 miles away
Bergamo Car Rentals from $15.12 per day924.3 km / 574.3 miles away
Pescara Car Rentals from $10.98 per day428.9 km / 266.5 miles away
Florence Car Rentals from $13.18 per day688.3 km / 427.7 miles away
Brindisi Car Rentals from $10.98 per day243.3 km / 151.2 miles away
Verona Car Rentals from $13.18 per day845.5 km / 525.4 miles away
Treviso Car Rentals from $18.83 per day820.1 km / 509.6 miles away
Padua Car Rentals from $20.15 per day808.1 km / 502.1 miles away
Reggio di Calabria Car Rentals from $12.87 per day106.1 km / 65.9 miles away
Modena Car Rentals from $12.55 per day775.9 km / 482.1 miles away
Genoa Car Rentals from $13.18 per day867.3 km / 538.9 miles away
Trieste Car Rentals from $10.98 per day802.5 km / 498.7 miles away
Bolzano Car Rentals from $20.28 per day930.7 km / 578.3 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Lamezia Terme
Lamezia Terme Airport Car Rentals from $12.87 per day2.1 km / 1.3 miles away
Crotone Airport Car Rentals from $13.82 per day71.8 km / 44.6 miles away
Reggio di Calabria Airport Car Rentals from $12.87 per day108.1 km / 67.2 miles away
Lecce Train Station Car Rentals from $79.54 per day227.7 km / 141.5 miles away
Salerno Train Station Car Rentals from $20.68 per day232.6 km / 144.5 miles away
Brindisi Airport Car Rentals from $10.98 per day241.2 km / 149.9 miles away
Bari Train Station Car Rentals from $20.68 per day249.8 km / 155.2 miles away
Bari Airport Car Rentals from $10.98 per day250.2 km / 155.5 miles away
Napoli Port Car Rentals from $20.68 per day273.0 km / 169.6 miles away
Naples Airport Car Rentals from $11.32 per day275.4 km / 171.1 miles away
Foggia Railway Station Car Rentals from $20.68 per day289.2 km / 179.7 miles away
Frosinone Ferentino Car Rentals from $41.39 per day399.6 km / 248.3 miles away
Pescara Airport Car Rentals from $10.98 per day427.7 km / 265.8 miles away
Rome Ciampino Airport Car Rentals from $13.28 per day445.6 km / 276.9 miles away
Rome Via Tuscolana Car Rentals from $20.68 per day452.3 km / 281.0 miles away
Rome Centocelle Car Rentals from $17.11 per day454.4 km / 282.3 miles away
Rome EUR Car Rentals from $19.23 per day455.4 km / 283.0 miles away
Rome Via Appia Car Rentals from $22.57 per day455.7 km / 283.2 miles away
Rome di Portonaccio Car Rentals from $20.14 per day456.9 km / 283.9 miles away
Rome Rebibbia Car Rentals from $25.55 per day457.0 km / 284.0 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Lamezia Terme?
What’s the usual rental length in Lamezia Terme?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Lamezia Terme?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Sicily By Car||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|Ecovia||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Fiat 500X||5||3||Medium cars|
|Optimo Rent||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Optimo Rent||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Opel Corsa||5||2||Small cars|
|Noleggiare||Citroen C1||2||1||Small cars|
|Maggiore||Citroen C1||3||1||Small cars|
|Ecovia||Citroen C3||4||2||Small cars|
|Locauto||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|