Car Rental in Darwin
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Darwin?
The capital of the remote Northern Territory, Darwin offers a lot to those who go the extra mile to get there. Increasingly easy to reach, the city has turned into a hub of historic sites, quality museums, and vibrant cultural life. The main draw of Darwin, however, remains its access to the tropical forests of northern Australia.
One-Way Car Rentals in Darwin
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Darwin and drop off in another city include:
- From Darwin to Melbourne - 8 offers from US$ 380.59 per day
- From Darwin to Alice Springs - 8 offers from US$ 61.64 per day
- From Darwin to Perth - 8 offers from US$ 216.19 per day
Top ways to enter Darwin
Darwin Airport: By far the busiest airport in the Northern Territory, it offers flights to both remote regional destinations and the largest Australian cities like Brisbane and Melbourne. An international airport, it also has flights to Singapore, China, Indonesia, and East Timor. Located about 12 km (7.4 miles) northeast of Darwin, the airport can be reached in about 15 minutes.
Top destinations and activities
- Museum and Art Gallery of Northern Territory. Having a surprisingly diverse collection, Darwin’s main museum can more than hold its own against counterparts from larger Australian cities. The museum is especially rich in exhibitions of Aboriginal Australian, Oceanic, and Southeast Asian traditional art. On a more recent note, Sweetheart, the 5.4 m (18 feet) long crocodile who used to terrorize the area’s boats in the 1970s, is also on display here.
- Aviation Museum. Also known as the Aviation Heritage Center, this museum honors Darwin’s role in the early development of the aviation industry. Many of the pioneers of the field, including Amelia Earhart and Amy Johnson, flew to and from Darwin during the first three decades of the 20th century. The museum has many of the original aircraft, as well as a Boeing B-52 bomber, on display. The museum is about 11 km (6.8 miles) northeast of the city center but can be easily reached by car.
- Charles Darwin National Park. Although not the largest national park in the Northern Territory, or even in the proximity of Darwin, it is one of the most famous and most visited. The park is home to prehistoric middens built by the original inhabitants of the area, World War Two bunkers, as well as bush trails and flora characteristic of the Darwin area. Located on a peninsula just east of Darwin’s center, the national park can be reached in just ten minutes by car.
Traffic and parking tips
- One of the largest road hazards in Australia is the wildlife. Take extra caution when driving in bad weather or after dark as this is when most of the collisions with wildlife take place.
- Mobile coverage is very rarely available outside of major highways and population centers, so take extra caution when traveling in rural areas.
- Another great risk when traveling outside of main highways is the heat. The temperatures can reach extremes very easily, especially during the summer months and in inland areas. Always stay properly hydrated and plan your route in advance to be able to supplement your water supplies.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The primary, nationwide emergency number in Australia is 000.
While there are many toll roads in Australia, none of them are in the Northern Territory.
Car Rental Prices in Darwin
- Large cars - from $47 per day
- Medium cars - from $46 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $98 per day
- SUVs - from $64 per day
Top 20 Locations near Darwin
Darwin Airport Car Rentals from $35.54 per day6.5 km / 4.0 miles away
Katherine Airport Car Rentals from $35.02 per day281.7 km / 175.0 miles away
Kununurra Airport Car Rentals from $48.86 per day434.9 km / 270.2 miles away
Tennant Creek Airport Car Rentals from $53.02 per day874.7 km / 543.5 miles away
Broome Airport Car Rentals from $38.19 per day1106.4 km / 687.5 miles away
Alice Springs Airport Car Rentals from $42.43 per day1302.4 km / 809.2 miles away
Ayers Rock Airport Car Rentals from $85.88 per day1415.0 km / 879.2 miles away
Port Hedland International Airport Car Rentals from $34.79 per day1571.0 km / 976.2 miles away
Cairns Airport Car Rentals from $51.04 per day1677.6 km / 1042.4 miles away
Newman Airport Car Rentals from $37.40 per day1685.8 km / 1047.5 miles away
Karratha Airport Car Rentals from $34.49 per day1755.8 km / 1091.0 miles away
Paraburdoo Airport Car Rentals from $37.05 per day1825.3 km / 1134.2 miles away
Townsville Airport Car Rentals from $51.04 per day1862.2 km / 1157.1 miles away
Exmouth Airport Car Rentals from $34.69 per day2080.9 km / 1293.0 miles away
Whitsunday Coast Airport Car Rentals from $37.86 per day2086.7 km / 1296.6 miles away
Mackay Airport Car Rentals from $47.78 per day2176.5 km / 1352.4 miles away
Emerald Airport Car Rentals from $37.03 per day2207.1 km / 1371.4 miles away
Kalgoorlie Boulder Airport (KGI)) Car Rentals from $36.70 per day2254.2 km / 1400.7 miles away
Rockhampton Airport Car Rentals from $35.02 per day2402.0 km / 1492.5 miles away
Broken Hill Airport Car Rentals from $31.54 per day2429.2 km / 1509.5 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Darwin?
What’s the usual rental length in Darwin?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Darwin?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Bargain Car Rentals||Hyundai Accent||5||2||Medium cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Large cars|
|Thrifty||Toyota Yaris||4||1||Small cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Nissan X-Trail||4||2||SUVs|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Hyundai Kona||4||3||SUVs|
|Thrifty||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Medium cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Holden Commodore||4||2||Large cars|
|Thrifty||Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross||5||2||Station wagons|
|Alamo||Kia Cerato||4||2||Large cars|