Car Rental in Paphos
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Paphos?
Paphos is a great place to explore by car. Some of the famous beaches in Paphos are near the city center; however, many beautiful coastal areas can only be accessed with a private car. With your own vehicle you can also travel to historic sites, charming little inland villages, and other famous cities of Cyprus.
One-Way Car Rentals in Paphos
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Paphos and drop off in another city include:
- From Paphos to Larnaca - 194 offers from 12.34 USD per day
Top ways to enter Paphos
- Paphos International Airport: Served by around 25 different airlines, Paphos Airport offers flights to and from many destinations in Europe, as well as some in the nearby Middle East. The airport is just 6.5km (4 miles) southeast of the city center and is easily reached by car.
- Larnaca International Airport: The busiest international airport in Cyprus, Larnaca-Glafcos Clerides handles more than 8 million travelers every year. As of 2019, the airport is served by more than 60 different airlines. Larnaca Airport is less than two hours drive east of Paphos.
- By ferry: It is also possible to travel to nearby Limassol by ferry and pick up a rental car at the Port of Limassol. Limassol is about an hour’s drive east of Paphos.
Useful city facts
Like the rest of Cyprus, Paphos has a subtropical semi-arid climate. Winters are mild, but quite wet while summers are hot and extremely dry with practically no precipitation from mid-May to September. The average temperature is 25°C (77°F) in July and August, though significantly higher on many individual days. The average temperature is 12°C (54°F) in January and February.
Inhabited by ancient Greeks and Romans, Paphos has an impressive history. According to legend, Paphos is the birthplace of Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love and beauty. Because of its well-preserved remains, the entire city of Paphos is a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site. Its historical importance was the main reason why the city was selected as a European Capital of Culture in 2017.
Top destinations and activities
- Paphos Archaeological Park. Containing a large part of an old Greek and Roman city, part of the Paphos Archaeological Park is still under excavation. Here you can visit lavish ancient villas like the House of Dionysos and the House of Theseus, see the ruins of the Odeon Theater, and marvel at the colorful mosaic floors.
- The Tombs of the Kings. Although no ancient ruler actually ever lived here, this underground burial place carved into the rock is no less impressive. Eerie and awe-inspiring at the same time, some of the more luxurious resting places feature ornaments like Doric columns and frescoes on the walls. A must-visit if you’re ever in Paphos.
- Aphrodite Water Park. With plenty of slides, rides, and wave machines, this water park is the perfect place for families and anyone else who ever goes tired of the beach. In addition to the mentioned attractions, the water park also offers different swimming pools, saunas, and a large, youthful crowd regardless of the season.
Traffic and parking tips
- Unlike most EU countries, Cyprus drives on the left-hand side of the road.
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 100km/h (62mph) on highways, 80km/h (50mph) on most of the other motorways, 65km/h (40mph) on many countryside roads, and 50km/h (31mph) inside cities, villages, and other built-up areas.
- While most national highways are in great shape, some countryside roads and mountainous inland roads can be in a considerably worse condition. Always plan your driving route in advance and look up the roads on which you are going to drive.
- Like in other cities of Cyprus, many streets in Paphos can be quite narrow, so choosing a large rental car might result in some problems. On the other hand, some nature and mountainous areas might require a rather powerful vehicle to travel safely. Many 4x4 vehicles are available for rent in Paphos.
- Compared to many other European countries, Cypriot drivers like to use their car horns quite a lot. It might come as a bit of a cultural shock, but do not get upset about this - nobody means any harm, it is just a part of the local driving culture.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.02% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines, an EU-wide license ban, or even imprisonment.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
Although there have been plans to introduce them in the future, as of May 2019 there are no toll roads in Cyprus.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Troodos Mountains. A large mountain range in the center of Cyprus, Troodos has impressive vistas, forest hiking paths, highland villages with ancient churches, and slopes for skiing in the winter. The mountains are also home to many unique and endangered species like the Cypriot Mouflon. Thanks to the scenic serpentine roads, the area is especially enjoyable to travel through by car. The nearest part of the mountains is less than one hour’s drive north of Paphos.
- Dhiarizos. A beautiful river valley not far from the small village of Nikoklia, Dhiarizos is another calm green area. A perfect place for birdwatching and long walks in nature, it feels like another world when compared to the crowded beaches of the coast. Dhiarizos is just a 30-minute drive east of Paphos, but if you don’t feel like traveling back to the city, you can stay at one of the family-run guest houses in the area.
- Limassol. The second city of Cyprus is a famous beach destination, with its long and golden shores attracting visitors from all over Europe. Not as well known, but just as exciting are its old magnificent castles and churches, distinct colorful neighborhoods, and many local festivals. Located on the Akrotiri Bay about 74km (46 miles) east of Paphos, Larnaca can be reached in about one hour by car.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Paphos is the Nissan Micra, although many travelers also pick the Kia Picanto and the Suzuki Splash. The most popular rental car type is an economy, followed by mini and compact.
- Larnaca. Known for its salt lake that is home to flocks of flamingos every winter, beautiful churches and mosques, and some of the best diving opportunities in Europe, Larnaca is a place that’s hard to leave. It takes about two hours to reach by car from Paphos, with most of the road winding east right along the coast.
- Nicosia. The atmosphere divided capital is quite different than its coastal counterparts. It is known for its Old Town with the Venetian walls, many impressive museums like the Byzantine Museum and the Nicosia Municipal Arts Center, and plenty of atmosphere to savor. About 158km (98 miles) east of Nicosia, it can be reached in two hours by car.
- Ayia Napa. The easternmost city of Cyprus is named Saint Napa after its patron saint. It’s not known whether he approves of the city’s hedonistic lifestyle, but it’s hard to argue against Ayia Napa’s title as the party capital of Cyprus (and, indeed, the Eastern Mediterranean). The very central Nissi Beach and Makronissos Beach are where it’s at with beach bars, DJs, and countless parties creating the atmosphere. Should you ever grow tired of the festivities, drive to the nearby Grecian Bay Beach, the quietest tranquil spot in the area. Ayia Napa is 215km (133 miles) east of Paphos and can be reached in about two and a half hours.
Car Rental Prices in Paphos
- Station wagons - from $40 per day
- Large cars - from $41 per day
- Medium cars - from $30 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $86 per day
- Premium cars - from $152 per day
- Small cars - from $20 per day
- SUVs - from $93 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Try these simple tricks to get a good car rental deal in Paphos:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Paphos is the cheapest in February when renting a car is a whopping 74% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 5 Cities near Paphos
Larnaca Car Rentals from $7.01 per day105.5 km / 65.5 miles away
Limassol Car Rentals from $8.86 per day55.8 km / 34.7 miles away
Nicosia Car Rentals from $8.86 per day93.4 km / 58.0 miles away
Ayia Napa Car Rentals from $11.70 per day142.0 km / 88.2 miles away
Protaras Car Rentals from $11.70 per day146.0 km / 90.7 miles away
Top 10 Locations near Paphos
Paphos Airport Car Rentals from $7.01 per day9.9 km / 6.1 miles away
Limassol Hotel Delivery Car Rentals from $19.72 per day58.8 km / 36.5 miles away
63.6 km / 39.5 miles away
96.3 km / 59.9 miles away
Larnaca Airport Car Rentals from $7.01 per day111.7 km / 69.4 miles away
Ayia Napa Hotel Delivery Car Rentals from $41.43 per day146.9 km / 91.3 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $11.70 per day147.8 km / 91.9 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $11.70 per day151.7 km / 94.3 miles away
Protaras Hotel Delivery Car Rentals from $41.43 per day152.1 km / 94.5 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Paphos?
What’s the usual rental length in Paphos?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Paphos?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Global Rent a Car||Toyota Aygo||4||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Volkswagen Up||4||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Toyota Yaris||3||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Volkswagen Up||3||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Nissan Note||4||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Kia Ceed||4||1||Medium cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Nissan March||4||1||Small cars|
|RightCars||Chevrolet Matiz||4||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Suzuki Alto||4||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Toyota Yaris||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 15 Suppliers in Paphos in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email