Car Rental in Launceston
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Launceston?
The second-largest city of Tasmania is home to just 85,000 people but has more than its fair share of delights. These include unique architecture, interesting museums, city festivals, and scenic nature nearby. Launceston can also serve as a hub for exploring the rest of northern Tasmania.
One-Way Car Rentals in Launceston
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Launceston and drop off in another city include:
- From Launceston to Hobart - 41 offers from $36.13 per day
Top ways to enter Launceston
- Launceston Airport: The main airport of northern Tasmania, it handled nearly 1.4 million travelers in 2019. The airport offers flights to the largest Australian cities like Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane, as well as nearby islands like Flinders, King, and Cape Barren. Located 15 km (9.3 miles) southeast of the city center, the airport can be reached in about 15 minutes.
- Devonport Airport: Serving the North Tasmanian city of the same name, Devonport Airport only has flights to and from Melbourne. Located some 100 km (62 miles) from Launceston, the airport can be reached in about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Hobart Airport: The largest airport in Tasmania has flights to and from some locations that Launceston Airport doesn’t serve like the national capital Canberra and Perth in Western Australia. Located 190 km (118 miles) south of Launceston, Hobart takes 2 hours and 15 minutes to reach by car.
Top destinations and activities
- Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery. The largest museum in Australia that’s not located in a state capital, QVMAG is one of the main attractions of the city. Celebrating its 130th birthday in 2021, this vast museum has collections of everything from European and Australian art to local history and natural history, as well as a planetarium and a fully-preserved Chinese temple that was built by the Chinese miners who worked in the city in the 19th century.
- Cataract Gorge. One of the most famous natural wonders in Tasmania, the Cataract is a scenic river gorge just outside of the center of Launceston. Famous for the Alexandra suspension bridge which crosses it and the longest chairlift in the world, the gorge also has beaches that are good for swimming, walking tracks, playgrounds, and everything else for a pleasant and relaxing day outdoors.
- Tamar Valley. Another popular scenic area just a short drive from Launceston, Tamar Valley is best known as a destination for wine. If you’re traveling with a friend who can drive, sampling local beverages is a must; but even if you can’t, visiting the wineries is still a fun experience. The valley is also home to the Tamar River Conservation Area, a wetlands preserve that’s a prime bird-watching spot.
Traffic and parking
- One of the largest road hazards in Australia is the wildlife. Take extra caution when driving in bad weather or after dark as this is when most of the collisions with wildlife take place.
- Mobile coverage is very rarely available outside of major highways and population centers, so take extra caution when traveling in rural areas.
- Another great risk when traveling off of the main highways is the heat. The temperatures can reach extremes very easily, especially during the summer months and in inland areas. Always stay properly hydrated and plan your route in advance to be able to supplement your water supplies.
- Laws concerning driving under the influence differ from territory to territory in Australia. In Tasmania, the legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers and drivers with provisional licenses. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines and a driver’s license ban.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The primary, nationwide emergency number in Australia is 000.
There are a number of toll roads in Australia, mainly in the states of New South Wales, Victoria, and Queensland. There are no toll roads on Tasmania.
Most toll roads in Australia use an open toll system with mainline barrier toll points. All toll roads in Australia use a cashless payment system. You can purchase a prepaid pass for most toll roads. Some rental cars in Australia are equipped with electronic transponders, the price of which may or may not be included in the rental price. Ask your car rental provider about it in advance.
Different toll roads are operated by different companies, so there is no nation-wide system in place.
Car Rental Prices in Launceston
- Large cars - from $163 per day
- Medium cars - from $130 per day
- Small cars - from $98 per day
- SUVs - from $149 per day
Top 20 Cities near Launceston
Sydney Car Rentals from $46.27 per day918.1 km / 570.5 miles away
Melbourne Car Rentals from $48.78 per day450.4 km / 279.9 miles away
Hobart Car Rentals from $50.23 per day145.6 km / 90.5 miles away
Avalon Car Rentals from $81.80 per day454.9 km / 282.6 miles away
Canberra Car Rentals from $39.95 per day712.1 km / 442.5 miles away
Devonport Car Rentals from $48.01 per day77.6 km / 48.2 miles away
Wollongong Car Rentals from $31.42 per day855.7 km / 531.7 miles away
Albury Car Rentals from $55.90 per day608.9 km / 378.3 miles away
Mildura Car Rentals from $44.10 per day929.3 km / 577.4 miles away
Wagga Wagga Car Rentals from $47.79 per day710.4 km / 441.5 miles away
Merimbula Car Rentals from $36.17 per day565.1 km / 351.1 miles away
929.8 km / 577.7 miles away
614.1 km / 381.6 miles away
Parkes Car Rentals from $69.21 per day938.5 km / 583.1 miles away
Griffith Car Rentals from $58.83 per day817.3 km / 507.8 miles away
689.2 km / 428.2 miles away
Bowral Car Rentals from $35.06 per day834.5 km / 518.6 miles away
Sale Car Rentals from $35.34 per day382.6 km / 237.7 miles away
Geelong Car Rentals from $53.32 per day450.4 km / 279.9 miles away
535.9 km / 333.0 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Launceston
Launceston Airport Car Rentals from $46.80 per day13.5 km / 8.4 miles away
Devonport Airport Car Rentals from $48.01 per day66.4 km / 41.3 miles away
Devonport Ferry Car Rentals from $128.87 per day70.9 km / 44.0 miles away
Hobart Airport Car Rentals from $50.23 per day158.6 km / 98.5 miles away
Melbourne Frankston Car Rentals from $58.51 per day404.6 km / 251.4 miles away
Melbourne Dandenong Car Rentals from $49.72 per day417.6 km / 259.5 miles away
Melbourne Bayswater Car Rentals from $52.21 per day431.8 km / 268.3 miles away
Melbourne Brighton Car Rentals from $41.76 per day433.9 km / 269.6 miles away
Avalon Airport Car Rentals from $81.80 per day441.4 km / 274.3 miles away
Melbourne Richmond Car Rentals from $76.85 per day441.9 km / 274.6 miles away
South Melbourne Car Rentals from $57.57 per day442.4 km / 274.9 miles away
Melbourne Hoppers Crossing Car Rentals from $45.61 per day447.0 km / 277.8 miles away
Melbourne Tullamarine Car Rentals from $58.51 per day459.2 km / 285.3 miles away
Melbourne Airport Car Rentals from $45.96 per day462.5 km / 287.4 miles away
Merimbula Airport Car Rentals from $36.17 per day556.8 km / 346.0 miles away
Bendigo Epsom Car Rentals from $46.67 per day579.8 km / 360.3 miles away
Albury Airport Car Rentals from $55.90 per day597.2 km / 371.1 miles away
Wagga Wagga Airport Car Rentals from $47.79 per day698.6 km / 434.1 miles away
Canberra Airport Car Rentals from $56.97 per day704.6 km / 437.8 miles away
Griffith Airport Car Rentals from $58.83 per day804.5 km / 499.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Launceston?
What’s the usual rental length in Launceston?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Launceston?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Bargain Car Rentals||Hyundai Accent||4||2||Medium cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Hyundai Kona||4||3||SUVs|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Nissan X-Trail||4||2||SUVs|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Large cars|
|EastCoast Car Rentals||Hyundai Kona||5||2||SUVs|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Holden Acadia||5||3||SUVs|
|EastCoast Car Rentals||Mitsubishi Outlander||5||2||SUVs|
|SIXT||MG HS Aut.||5||3||SUVs|
|SIXT||Toyota Yaris||5||Small cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Toyota Hiace||4||4||Vans|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.