Car Rental in Germany
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Germany?
Germany is a great place to travel around by car. Although the country is rather large, it boasts some of the best highways in the world, and the route between the north and the south or the east and the west can be done in a matter of hours. With beautiful cities and impressive nature areas, Germany is a place to discover.
One-way Car Rentals in Germany
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Germany and drop off in another country:
- From Germany to Poland - 1225 offers from 84.50 USD per day
- From Germany to Italy - 534 offers from 58.07 USD per day
- From Germany to Switzerland - 293 offers from 73.29 USD per day
- From Germany to Austria - 681 offers from 56.87 USD per day
- From Germany to Hungary - 316 offers from 61.22 USD per day
Top ways to enter Germany
- Munich Airport: Located in the capital city of the Bavaria region, Munich Airport is the best way to enter Southern Germany.
- Frankfurt Airport: Busiest in Germany and one of the largest in Europe, Frankfurt Airport hosts flights to and from all parts of the world.
- Düsseldorf Airport: Serving the Rhine-Ruhr metropolitan region, Düsseldorf Airport is a hub of numerous low-cost carriers.
- By land: It’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Germany. Some large international airports near Germany are Brussels Airport in Belgium, Amsterdam Airport in the Netherlands, and Zürich Airport in Switzerland.
Top cities and places to visit
- Berlin: Germany's capital is one of Europe's most popular travel destinations thanks to its colorful neighborhoods, bustling arts scene, and free spirit.
- Hamburg: Hamburg is popular with travelers both for its history as an important port city and its laidback lifestyle in areas like St. Pauli.
- Bavaria: The region's main attraction is its grand capital, Munich, but you shouldn't overlook its national parks, stunning mountains, and cozy towns, either. Historic Augsburg should also not be missed.
- Leipzig: One of Germany's best kept secrets, during the last decade Leipzig has quickly become a cultural, arts, and science center.
- Frankfurt: There's more to Frankfurt than just finance and business as the city is also famous for its museums, architecture, and Hessian cuisine.
- Bonn: The capital of Germany between 1949 and 1990, Bonn is a smaller city with an abudance of cultural life.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Germany is the VW Golf, but the Opel Astra and the Audi A3 are also popular among travelers.
Germany shares a border with Denmark, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, and the Netherlands. Germany is a member of the Schengen Area and so are all of its neighboring countries. If you’ll need a visa to enter the Schengen Area, the same will also permit you to enter any of the Germany’s neighboring countries.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Germany is an Economy, closely followed by compact and fullsize.
Top driving routes
Munich - Frankfurt (392 km / 243 mi) The route through Southern Germany will take you near interesting cities like Stuttgart and Heidelberg which you can explore on the way.
Hamburg - Copenhagen (473 km / 293 mi) Thanks to Hamburg’s proximity to Denmark, you can be in Scandinavia in just a few hours.
Berlin - Amsterdam (655 km / 407 mi) Although these two legendary cities are quite a distance from one another, great roads let you travel between them in under seven hours, meaning that you can have breakfast in one capital and dinner in the other.
Car Rental Prices
- Convertibles - from $107 per day
- Station wagons - from $73 per day
- Large cars - from $67 per day
- Medium cars - from $58 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $123 per day
- Premium cars - from $97 per day
- Small cars - from $49 per day
- SUVs - from $86 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Germany:
- Compare rates of different car providers
- Book your rental car as early as possible
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Germany is the cheapest in October when renting an automobile is almost 30% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Most Popular Cities in Germany
Car Rental in Berlin from $64.99 per day
Car Rental in Munich from $57.59 per day
Car Rental in Frankfurt from $54.80 per day
Car Rental in Dusseldorf from $42.67 per day
Car Rental in Hamburg from $52.90 per day
Car Rental in Cologne from $61.89 per day
Car Rental in Stuttgart from $39.51 per day
Car Rental in Nurnberg from $53.30 per day
Car Rental in Dortmund from $58.20 per day
Car Rental in Bremen from $40.89 per day
Car Rental in Hannover from $40.66 per day
Car Rental in Mannheim from $54.80 per day
Car Rental in Leipzig from $31.34 per day
Car Rental in Dresden from $53.46 per day
Car Rental in Flensburg from $38.77 per day
Car Rental in Weeze from $41.36 per day
Car Rental in Memmingen from $50.28 per day
Car Rental in Friedrichshafen from $50.28 per day
Car Rental in Baden-Baden from $51.98 per day
Car Rental in Essen from $29.47 per day
Top 20 Most Popular Locations in Germany
Car Rental at Munich Airport from $48.72 per day
Car Rental at Frankfurt Airport from $44.51 per day
Car Rental at Berlin Tegel Airport from $58.08 per day
Car Rental in Berlin (Downtown) from $48.85 per day
Car Rental at Berlin Central Station (Hauptbahnhof) from $56.78 per day
Car Rental at Berlin Schoenefeld Airport from $55.60 per day
Car Rental at Munich Central Train Station from $57.59 per day
Car Rental at Munich Laim Train Station from $55.44 per day
Car Rental at Dusseldorf Airport from $42.67 per day
Car Rental at Frankfurt Central Station from $54.80 per day
Car Rental at Hamburg Airport from $52.90 per day
Car Rental at Dusseldorf Train Station from $61.12 per day
Car Rental at Cologne Bonn Airport from $36.89 per day
Car Rental at Stuttgart Airport from $39.51 per day
Car Rental at Hamburg Central Train Station from $67.96 per day
Car Rental at Cologne Train Station from $61.89 per day
Car Rental at Stuttgart Train Station from $52.92 per day
Car Rental at Dortmund Airport from $58.20 per day
Car Rental at Nurnberg Airport from $53.30 per day
Car Rental at Berlin Gendarmenmarkt/Hilton Hotel from $56.13 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Germany?
What’s the average rental length in Germany?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Germany?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Global Rent a Car||Renault Clio||4||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Ford Focus 5d||5||2||Medium cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Toyota Aygo||3||2||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Ford Tourneo Connect||5||2||People Carriers/Vans|
|Buchbinder||VW Polo||3||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Opel Corsa||4||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Ford Focus||4||2||Medium cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Kia Sportage||5||2||SUVs|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 14 Suppliers in Germany in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email