Car Rental in Australia
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Australia?
Australia is one of the true great destinations of our planet. From famous cities like Sydney and Melbourne to a very diverse nature that includes deserts, tropics, endless beaches, and the Great Barrier Reef, the country offers plenty to keep you excited. While the sheer size of the country means you probably won’t get to explore all of it on a single trip, getting a rental car is one of the surest ways to take in as much as you can.
Top ways to enter Australia
- Sydney Airport: The busiest in Australia, Sydney Airport serves more than 40 million passengers annually.
- Melbourne Airport: Known as Tullamarine by locals, this airport serves flights to and from destinations in the rest of Australia, as well as in Oceania, Asia, and even the U.S. state of Hawaii.
- Brisbane Airport: Arriving in Brisbane is the best way to reach Queensland’s capital and the beautiful beaches that surround it.
- Perth Airport: The main airport of the vast Western Australia state.
Top cities and places to visit
- Sydney. Sydney is one of the most famous cities on the planet and a visit here will be a highlight of any trip to Australia. The city is notable for its architecture that includes not just the famous opera house, but also many fine Georgian and Victorian buildings. Other highlights include the Art Gallery of New South Wales, National Maritime Museum, Sydney Fish Market, and Royal Botanic Gardens. The city also offers access to the neighboring Blue Mountains.
- Melbourne. The capital of the state of Victoria, Melbourne is Australia’s second-largest city and, more importantly, a hub of culture, creativity, and cuisine. Notable for its distinct neighborhoods and free spirit, it boasts attractions like the Royal Exhibition Building, Immigration Museum, East End Theater District, and Melbourne Observatory.
- Brisbane, Gold Coast, and Sunshine Coast. The capital of sunny Queensland, Brisbane is a large and modern metropolis notable for its skyline, museums, and many green areas. Two of Australia’s most popular beach hubs, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, are located to the south and north of the city, respectively, and other destinations like the Glass House Mountains National Park are also within your reach.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Australia is the Hyundai i20, followed by the Toyota Corolla and the Kia Rio.
Driver license requirements
- Australia recognizes valid foreign driver’s licenses if you’re visiting on a trip that’s shorter than six months. If you’re visiting for a longer period or are living in the country permanently, you need to obtain the local license instead.
- If your driver’s license is printed in a non-Latin script (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP instead.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
Most popular types of rental car
Most popular rental car types in Australia are economy, standard, and compact.
Top driving routes
- Great Barrier Reef. One of the natural wonders of the world, the Great Barrier Reef is another place that you should absolutely visit if you’re in the northeast of the country. There are many tours and jumping points that take off for the reef and its many islands, with the city of Cairns probably the most notable among them.
- Western Australia. The great western state of Australia is very remote — you’re probably going to fly in and out — but offers plenty of excitement if you get there. The capital, Perth, is a sophisticated and modern city with plenty to enjoy, but the region’s endless beaches, otherworldly landscapes, and indigenous sites are just as fascinating.
- Tasmania. Located on the mainland (Melbourne is the nearest big city), the island of Tasmania is distinct both in terms of nature and culture. The region’s mountains, bays, and woodlands are among the most scenic in the country, and you can also visit refuges of wildlife like the distinct Tasmanian devils. Tasmania is also a good place to see the Southern Lights, especially from June to September.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $41 per day
- Large cars - from $98 per day
- Medium cars - from $79 per day
- Vans - from $122 per day
- Premium cars - from $89 per day
- Small cars - from $69 per day
- SUVs - from $107 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Australia:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Australia is the cheapest in October when renting a car is about 48% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Most Popular Cities in Australia
Car Rental in Sydney from $85.95 per day
Car Rental in Melbourne from $45.51 per day
Car Rental in Brisbane from $36.78 per day
Car Rental in Perth from $24.19 per day
Car Rental in Cairns from $37.54 per day
Car Rental in Hobart from $50.05 per day
Car Rental in Adelaide from $63.38 per day
Car Rental in Gold Coast from $26.14 per day
Car Rental in Newcastle from $39.50 per day
Car Rental in Launceston from $46.51 per day
Car Rental in Darwin from $27.89 per day
Car Rental in Avalon from $59.40 per day
Car Rental in Marcoola from $35.34 per day
Car Rental in Canberra from $32.12 per day
Car Rental in Townsville from $37.54 per day
Car Rental in Ballina from $62.17 per day
Car Rental in Proserpine from $94.56 per day
Car Rental in Surfers Paradise from $37.55 per day
Car Rental in Alice Springs from $61.40 per day
Top 20 Most Popular Locations in Australia
Car Rental at Melbourne Airport from $40.25 per day
Car Rental at Sydney Airport from $46.81 per day
Car Rental at Brisbane Airport from $36.78 per day
Car Rental at Sydney Domestic Airport (SYDT02) from $103.70 per day
Car Rental at Cairns Airport from $30.84 per day
Car Rental at Brisbane Domestic Airport (BNET02) from $97.98 per day
Car Rental at Hobart Airport from $50.05 per day
Car Rental at Perth Airport from $67.96 per day
Car Rental at Gold Coast Airport from $26.14 per day
Car Rental at Adelaide Airport from $35.98 per day
Car Rental at Launceston Airport from $46.51 per day
Car Rental at Cairns Domestic Airport (CNST02) from $37.54 per day
Car Rental at Sunshine Coast Airport from $35.34 per day
Car Rental at Avalon Airport from $59.40 per day
Car Rental at Darwin Airport from $27.89 per day
Car Rental at Newcastle Airport from $45.65 per day
Car Rental in Newcastle Charlestown from $58.41 per day
Car Rental at Canberra Airport from $37.07 per day
Car Rental in Sydney Alexandria from $50.93 per day
Car Rental in Sydney Artarmon from $28.35 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Australia?
What’s the average rental length in Australia?
What's the most popular time of year to rent a car in Australia?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Bargain Car Rentals||Hyundai Accent||4||2||Medium cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Hyundai Kona||4||3||SUVs|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Large cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Nissan X-Trail||4||2||SUVs|
|Jucy||Toyota Corolla||5||3||Medium cars|
|NoBirds||Toyota Corolla||5||1||Medium cars|
|EastCoast Car Rentals||Hyundai Kona||5||2||SUVs|
|SIXT||MG HS Aut.||5||3||SUVs|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.