Car Rental in Kefalonia
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Kefalonia?
The 6th largest island in Greece, Kefalonia (also sometimes written as Cephalonia, Kefallinia, and Kephallenia) is a fascinating place to explore. Travel around it in your rental car, and you’ll soon discover that there’s a lot more to this place than its world-class beaches, with stunning inland nature areas, ancient cult sites, and idyllic olive farms being just some of its attractions.
Top ways to enter Kefalonia
- Kefalonia Airport: Located near the island’s largest city, Argostoli, Kefalonia hosts flights by more than 20 different airlines and served nearly 800,000 travelers annually.
- Zakynthos Airport: Located on nearby Zakynthos island, this airports sees more than twice as much annual air traffic as Kefalonia Airport.
- Patras Airport: Located in the nearby Peloponnese Region on mainland Greece, this airport serves the city of Patras which is connected to many Ionian islands, including Kefalonia, by a frequent ferry service.
- Preveza Airport: Also located on the Greek mainland, Preveza Airport (sometimes also known as Aktion Airport) is mainly active during the summer months when it hosts flights by more than 15 different airlines.
- Like many other Greek islands, Kefalonia enjoys a hot Mediterranean climate. The temperature quite often exceeds 30 °C (86 °F) from June to September. Winters are mild, and the days are rarely colder than 10 °C (50 °F), although there is a significant increase in rainfall.
- Although the question is still hotly debated, some researchers assume that the Greek mythical hero Odysseus was supposed to be from Kefalonia. According to one version, he hailed from the island’s northwestern peninsula Paliki.
- Kefalonia is famous not only for its olives, but also for very good dry white wines. Do try them on a day when you’re not driving!
Top destinations and activities
- Argostoli. The island’s main town might not be as spectacular as some other Greek cities, but it’s a great place for first impressions. Learn more about Kefalonia’s unique history in the Archaeological Museum and the Folk Museum, visit some of the best restaurants on the island, and use Argostoli as a base for visiting many nearby beaches and nature areas.
- Melissani Cave. There are a number of famous and beautiful caves in Kefalonia, but Melissani is perhaps the standout one among them thanks to its azure water that fills the cave from and underground spring, the impressive stalactites, and its historic religious importance as a worshipping place for the Ancient Greek god Pan and different water nymphs. Melissani is located near the town of Sami, about 40 minutes drive east of Argostoli.
- Fanari Road. More an experience than a single destination, driving along the picturesque and coastal Fanari Road is one of the best ways to get to know Kefalonia, whether you choose to visit the Lighthouse of Saint Theodoroi or to make for a relaxing stop at one of the secluded beaches along the road.
Traffic and parking
- There are no highways in Kefalonia (nor on any other Greek islands).
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 90 km/h (55.9 mph) on roads outside populated areas, and 50 km/h (31 mph) in populated and built-up areas.
- While the larger Kefalonia roads are in good shape, the smaller roads might have poor surfacing and potholes. Be careful when driving on them, especially after dark.
- Many gas stations might be closed during the weekends and public holidays.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to high fines and a licence ban. Exceeding the limit of 0.08% is a criminal offence and can lead to up to two years of imprisonment.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112. The police number is 100, the ambulance number is 166, and the fire brigade number is 199.
There are no toll roads in Kefalonia. There are a number of toll roads, tunnels, and bridges on mainland Greece. Many travelers find them very hard to navigate and some choose to avoid using the toll roads altogether because of the very complex toll road system that is in place. Different toll roads are administered by different private companies and so there is not a single, nationwide (or even region-wide) toll road system in place.
For most toll roads, the payment can be either made by cash at a toll gate, by a credit card, or by coins at an automatic toll slot machine. For some roads, an electronic transponder that’s in a car might be used to pay for using the toll road. Some rental cars might be equipped with such an electronic transponder. However, because of the aforementioned different toll road systems that are in place, this payment method might work for some toll roads, but not for others. Set out your route in advance and ask your car rental provider about the best way to pay for all the toll roads that you plan to use.
Find out more about toll roads in Greece on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Beaches. Kefalonia is nothing without its beautiful sea coast. Myrtos Beach is the most famous one, often frequently mentioned as one of the best beaches in the world thanks to its spectacular location between two high mountains. Should you ever find it too busy, the picturesque Petanoi Beach and the calm Dafnoudi Beach are just a short drive away.
- Assos. Located just north of the Myrtos Beach, the village of Assos is a perfect place to spend a relaxing day or two. Visit one of its local taverns or, if you’re up for something more challenging, go on the steep climb to the beautiful Venetian castle that’s located here.
- Mount Ainos. The tallest mountain in Kefalonia and sometimes also called Monte Nero or Black Mountain in Italian, Mount Ainos stands 1,628 meters (3,541 ft) high. You can drive for a part of the distance towards the summit, then make the last steps on foot through a forest of firs. The view from the top will be more than rewarding.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental cars in Kefalonia are the VW Polo, the Suzuki Celerio, and the Opel Corsa. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
Although the island’s territory is rather small, you’ll find decent mountains in Kefalonia. If you’re eager to explore them (as you should be), getting a more powerful rental car might be a good idea.
- Corfu. Not the largest, but perhaps the best known of the Ionian Islands, Corfu is a great holiday spot thanks to its Ancient Greek history, unique cuisine, and beautiful monasteries. It’s possible to take a rental car on a ferry, but first get in touch with your rental car provider to make sure if they permit it.
- Zakynthos. With even older roots of civilization than Kefalonia or Corfu, Zakynthos combines interesting history with spectacular nature. Many Greeks consider it to be the most beautiful place in all of the country. It’s possible to take a rental car on a ferry, but first get in touch with your rental car provider to make sure if they permit it.
- Patras. Famous for its varied architecture, flamboyant carnival, and the nearby Mount Panichaiko, Patras is an interesting destination on the nearby mainland. Specific landmarks include Patras Castle (or Kastro), the Archaeological Museum, Turkish baths, and the Roman Odeon. As with all the other destinations, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit you to leave Zakynthos with the car.
- Athens. One of the most interesting European capitals not just for its splendid past, but also present, Athens is both the birthplace of democracy and a modern metropolis full of culture and entertainment. The trip from Zakynthos takes about 4 hours and 30 minutes. Ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it
Car Rental Prices in Kefalonia
- Station wagons - from $238 per day
- Large cars - from $183 per day
- Medium cars - from $173 per day
- Vans - from $186 per day
- Small cars - from $137 per day
- SUVs - from $225 per day
Here are some of the things you can do to land a non-pricey rental car in Kefalonia:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Kefalonia is the cheapest in March when renting a car is about 35% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Kefalonia
Heraklion Car Rentals from $32.45 per day536.7 km / 333.5 miles away
287.8 km / 178.9 miles away
141.3 km / 87.8 miles away
Rhodes Car Rentals from $26.62 per day701.2 km / 435.7 miles away
Chania Car Rentals from $51.57 per day453.7 km / 281.9 miles away
Thessaloniki Car Rentals from $25.86 per day307.5 km / 191.1 miles away
Kos Car Rentals from $55.04 per day615.8 km / 382.6 miles away
Zakynthos Car Rentals from $65.83 per day63.0 km / 39.1 miles away
Mykonos Car Rentals from $56.59 per day433.7 km / 269.5 miles away
Santorini Car Rentals from $71.87 per day487.7 km / 303.1 miles away
Naxos Car Rentals from $100.42 per day448.1 km / 278.4 miles away
Preveza Car Rentals from $76.39 per day57.7 km / 35.9 miles away
Faliraki Car Rentals from $26.62 per day711.3 km / 442.0 miles away
Skiathos Car Rentals from $50.67 per day264.3 km / 164.2 miles away
Paros Car Rentals from $73.09 per day431.5 km / 268.1 miles away
Samos Car Rentals from $16.92 per day539.2 km / 335.1 miles away
Kalamata Car Rentals from $58.96 per day200.6 km / 124.7 miles away
Rethymno Car Rentals from $79.51 per day488.2 km / 303.4 miles away
Kavala Car Rentals from $41.75 per day440.6 km / 273.8 miles away
Lefkada Car Rentals from $91.72 per day29.7 km / 18.4 miles away
Top 19 Locations near Kefalonia
Kefalonia Fiskardo Port Car Rentals from $101.55 per day
Kefalonia Sami Port Car Rentals from $101.55 per day24.1 km / 15.0 miles away
Meganisi Vathi Port Car Rentals from $16.24 per day28.5 km / 17.7 miles away
Lefkada Port Nidri Car Rentals from $91.72 per day29.7 km / 18.4 miles away
Kefalonia Lixouri Port Car Rentals from $101.55 per day31.5 km / 19.6 miles away
Kefalonia Argostoli Port Car Rentals from $137.16 per day31.6 km / 19.6 miles away
Kefalonia Hotel Delivery Car Rentals from $137.16 per day34.0 km / 21.1 miles away
Kefalonia Lasi Car Rentals from $123.72 per day34.2 km / 21.2 miles away
Kefalonia Xi Beach Car Rentals from $101.55 per day36.1 km / 22.5 miles away
Lefkada Aghios Nikitas Car Rentals from $89.43 per day36.5 km / 22.7 miles away
Kefalonia Airport Car Rentals from $77.46 per day38.6 km / 24.0 miles away
Kefalonia Poros Port Car Rentals from $101.55 per day39.4 km / 24.5 miles away
Kefalonia Pessada Port Car Rentals from $101.55 per day39.5 km / 24.5 miles away
Lefkada Bus Station Car Rentals from $131.54 per day42.1 km / 26.2 miles away
Lefkada Port Car Rentals from $131.54 per day42.6 km / 26.5 miles away
Lefkada Hotel Delivery Car Rentals from $131.54 per day42.8 km / 26.6 miles away
Preveza Aktion Airport (Lefkada) Car Rentals from $76.36 per day54.1 km / 33.6 miles away
Agios Nikolaos Port Car Rentals from $65.83 per day63.0 km / 39.1 miles away
Patras Airport Car Rentals from $71.68 per day81.8 km / 50.8 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Kefalonia?
What’s the usual rental length in Kefalonia?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Kefalonia?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Avance Rent a Car||Skoda Citigo||5||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Suzuki Alto||4||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Opel Corsa||5||2||Small cars|
|Avance Rent a Car||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|Alma Car Hire||Toyota Aygo||5||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Alma Car Hire||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|Dirent a car Greece||Seat Mii||5||1||Small cars|
|Dirent a car Greece||Nissan Note||5||2||Medium cars|
|AddCar||Opel Astra||5||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.