Car Rental at Hobart Airport
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Airport Car Rental
The capital and most populous city of Tasmania, Hobart is a great place to visit. Not only an exciting destination in its own right, it can also serve as a gateway to the beaches, villages, and nature areas of the southern part of the island. Here are some intersting facts about Hobart:
Hobart is the capital city of the Australian island state of Tasmania and the second oldest capital city in the country (after Sydney). It was founded in 1804 initially as a penal colony during the convict era.
The city is situated beneath the towering peaks of Mount Wellington (kunanyi), a 1271-meter mountain with amazing hiking trails and waterfalls.
Hobart is home to the annual Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race, which is a famous Australian sailing event taking place yearly on Boxing Day (December 26).
With a population of just 206,000 people, Hobart is visited by close to 2 million tourists annually.
With its unique historical position, wedged between Mount Wellington and the River Derwent, the city is a hub for nature lovers and fans of Australian history. Here are some exciting Hobart attractions to add to your list of things to do and see in the region. You can find more things to do in this great guide to Hobart.
Mount Wellington trails. Hobart’s famous mountain, known as kunanyi is host to an extensive network of walking and mountain biking tracks. Hike to the summit or explore the many waterfalls and forest trails that are within walking distance of Salamanca Place.
Top of Kunanyi / Mount Wellington. The summit of Kunanyi offers wonderful views of Hobart and southern Tasmania. While you can walk, there is also a road (often closed in Winter) leading all the way to the summit, where travelers will find an information center and many excellent lookout points.
Salamanca Markets. The most famous weekly market in Tasmania. Salamanca Markets are held every Saturday at Salamanca Place near Hobart’s waterfront district. This market is known for its vibrant atmosphere and friendly stalls selling everything from local crafts to fresh Tasmanian produce.
- Antarctic attractions. Australia is usually associated with extreme heat rather than cold, but the southern part of the country, including Tasmania, is actually one of the main access points for Antarctica, and there are many attractions in Hobart that are dedicated to Antarctic research. These include the visitor’s center of the Australian Antarctic Division, the Mawson’s Huts Replica Museum dedicated to the expedition of the seventh continent by one of Australia’s most famous explorers, the exhibitions of ‘Islands to Ice’ at the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, and the Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens which houses many unique subantarctic plants. Tasmania is also one of the best places in the world to view the Aurora Australis, or the southern lights, with many companies in Hobart offering watching tours, especially during the southern hemisphere’s winter which lasts from June to August.
- Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. Celebrating its 40th birthday in 2021, the Bonorong is dedicated to the protection of Tasmania’s unique and threatened species, as well injured individual animals. Visitors of the sanctuary can learn about the conversation efforts, as well as observe inhabitants like Forester kangaroos, wombats, koalas, and cockatoos. Located north of the city, the center can be reached in about 30 minutes.
- Forestier and Tasman Peninsulas. Two wild, fascinating areas just southeast of Hobart that can be easily reached by car, the peninsulas are great either for a day-trip or a longer, slower expedition. Sparsely populated and with a truly stunning coastline, they are home to attractions like the Tasmanian Devil Conservation Unzoo, a number of national parks, and former penal sites that have been turned into heritage destinations.
- Maritime Museum of Tasmania. Covering such varied topics as shipbuilding, whaling, and the lighthouses of Tasmania, this is one of the most interesting museums in Hobart. The museum also deals with the arrival of the Europeans (which, naturally, took place over water) and even has a fascinating exhibition on Indigenous Tasmanian sailing. Visit the museum’s official website to learn more.
- Freycinet National Park. Located on the island’s eastern coast, Freycinet takes up most of the peninsula of the same name. Best known for the beautiful beaches around Wineglass Bay, this is also a nature preserve and home to such unique inhabitants as echidnas, flame robins, and blotched blue-tongued lizards. A car trip from Hobart takes about 2 hours and 20 minutes.
Top international routes
Most popular types of rental car
Car rental desks
Services and facilities
Nearest gas station
Popular one-way rentals
- Launceston (192 km / 119 mi)
- Devenport (272 km / 169 mi)
- Melbourne (711 km / 442 mi)
Hobart Airport (HBA)
- IATA: HBA
- ICAO: YMHB
- Name: Hobart Airport (HBA)
- Distance from city: 10.6 miles / 17 km
Top 20 Locations near Hobart Airport
Car Rental in Hobart (Downtown) from $27.61 per day15.9 km / 9.9 miles away
Car Rental at Launceston Airport from $22.41 per day145.6 km / 90.5 miles away
Car Rental at Devonport Airport from $25.49 per day205.7 km / 127.8 miles away
Car Rental in Melbourne Frankston from $38.40 per day559.2 km / 347.5 miles away
Car Rental in Melbourne Dandenong from $33.69 per day573.2 km / 356.2 miles away
Car Rental in Melbourne Bayswater from $36.74 per day588.1 km / 365.4 miles away
Car Rental in Melbourne Brighton from $44.86 per day588.6 km / 365.7 miles away
Car Rental at Avalon Airport from $48.90 per day592.1 km / 367.9 miles away
Car Rental in Melbourne Richmond from $46.94 per day596.9 km / 370.9 miles away
Car Rental in South Melbourne from $46.94 per day597.1 km / 371.0 miles away
Car Rental in Melbourne (Downtown) from $26.59 per day599.2 km / 372.3 miles away
Car Rental in Melbourne Hoppers Crossing from $51.40 per day600.2 km / 372.9 miles away
Car Rental in Melbourne Tullamarine from $53.81 per day613.9 km / 381.5 miles away
Car Rental at Melbourne Airport from $27.90 per day617.0 km / 383.4 miles away
Car Rental at Merimbula Airport from $33.09 per day689.9 km / 428.7 miles away
Car Rental at Albury Airport from $51.54 per day754.1 km / 468.6 miles away
Car Rental at Canberra Airport from $34.41 per day849.7 km / 528.0 miles away
Car Rental at Wagga Wagga Airport from $56.22 per day853.7 km / 530.5 miles away
Car Rental at Griffith Airport from $37.47 per day962.8 km / 598.3 miles away
Car Rental in Wollongong Unanderra from $55.06 per day975.7 km / 606.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices the lowest at Hobart Airport?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
For how long do renters keep their vehicles at Hobart Airport?
What is the most popular time of year to rent a car at Hobart Airport?
Car Rental Information
|Popular suppliers||Bargain Car Rentals, YesDrive Car Rentals, SIXT, EastCoast Car Rentals, Thrifty|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Medium cars, Large cars, Vans|
|Lowest price||$26 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||YesDrive Car Rentals|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Bargain Car Rentals||Hyundai Accent||4||2||Medium cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Kia Stonic||4||2||SUVs|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Nissan X-Trail||4||2||SUVs|
|YesDrive Car Rentals||Toyota Corolla||5||2||Medium cars|
|YesDrive Car Rentals||Mitsubishi Outlander||5||2||SUVs|
|EastCoast Car Rentals||Hyundai Kona||5||2||SUVs|
|YesDrive Car Rentals||Toyota Corolla Sedan||4||2||Medium cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Large cars|
|SIXT||Toyota Yaris||5||Small cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Holden Acadia||5||3||SUVs|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.