Car Rental in Cyprus
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Cyprus?
Cyprus is a great place to visit. Known for its beautiful beaches and laid back atmosphere, the Mediterranean island country also has plenty of ancient history, unique culture, and nature to explore. Getting a rental car is the best way to explore everything that Cyprus has to offer.
Note: This article is primarily about the Republic of Cyprus, the southern part of the island of Cyprus which is a member of the European Union.
Top ways to enter Cyprus
- Larnaca Airport: Cyprus’ busiest international airport serves flights to and from many destinations in Europe and the Middle East.
- Paphos Airport: Small and cozy, Paphos Airport is mainly active during the summers and is popular among many low-cost carriers.
Top cities and places to visit
This is just a taste of the places you can go — find more of the best sites to see on Cyprus here.
- Larnaca. Although modern and developed, Larnaca is also one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities on the planet — it was first settled more than 6,000 years ago. The city is surrounded by a number of beaches that are great not just for swimming and tanning, but also diving (it is even possible to explore the wreck of MS Zenobia, a ship that sank off the coast in 1980). Another popular local destination is the Larnaca Salt Lake, a pink flamingo wintering site.
- Nicosia. The divided capital of Cyprus may not get the same amount of tourist attention as the coastal resorts, but is a wonderfully historical destination to explore. Attractions include the Archaeological and Byzantine Museums, a number of impressive churches, and a great atmosphere.
- Paphos. The location of one of the two international airports in Cyprus, Paphos is known for its beaches, but also for well-preserved ancient architecture that has earned it the distinction of being a World Heritage Site. Notable examples of it include the Paphos Archaeological Park with its Roman villas of Theseus and Dionysus, the Tomb of the Kings, and a well-preserved Greek amphitheater.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Cyprus is the Kia Picanto, closely followed by the Suzuki Alto and the Chevrolet Spark. A smaller car is definitely advisable for the narrow mountain roads of the Troodos area.
Driver's license requirements
- The Republic of Cyprus recognizes foreign driver’s licenses if they are written in either a Greek or a Latin alphabet and if you’re visiting on a trip that’s shorter than six months. If you’re visiting on a longer trip or if you’re a permanent resident of Cyprus, you need to acquire a local driver’s license.
- If your driver’s license is in another alphabet (e.g., Cyrillic or Arabic), you need to have an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Even if you have an IDP, you still need to also provide your valid driver’s license from your country
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy of it, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
The Republic of Cyprus, which this article is about, is a European Union member and consists of the southern half of the island of Cyprus. Its only neighbor is Northern Cyprus, a political entity that is only recognized by Turkey but is a de facto independent state. Depending on your citizenship, you may or may not need a visa to visit Northern Cyprus (even if you didn’t need a visa for entering the Republic of Cyprus), so it’s a good idea to consult your Ministry of Foreign Affairs in advance.
Most rental car suppliers in the Republic of Cyprus do not permit taking a vehicle to Northern Cyprus. You might find a few that do (always ask in advance), but even in this case, you won’t be able to drop off the car in Northern Cyprus — you will have to return to Cyprus and drop off your car there.
Most popular types of rental car
The type of car rented most often in Cyprus is a mini, but economy and compact are also popular.
Top driving routes
- The Troodos Mountains. Despite being an island and the third-smallest country of the European Union, Cyprus is home to an impressive mountain range. Located near the geographical center of the island, Mount Olympus, the highest peak of the Troodos Mountains, reaches a height of 1,952 m (6,404 feet). Offering fascinating views of the island below, the area is also known for its hiking paths, ancient farms, and Byzantine monasteries. Especially worth visiting are the UNESCO World Heritage-designated ten painted churches of the Troodos region. They are remote and a bit difficult to find, so be sure to check with the tourist office or the locals to get a good map to the varied locations.
- Ayia Napa. Located even further east than Larnaca, Ayia Napa is the party capital of Cyprus. Popular with locals, it also gets a large number of visitors from the United Kingdom, Germany, Russia, and other European countries. Visit it during the day and you’ll also be able to enjoy its beaches or visit historical attractions like Ayia Napa Sculpture Park and the Thalassa Museum.
- Akamas Peninsula National Park. Encompassing the westernmost edge of the island, the Akamas Peninsula is another popular outdoors destination. The area is home to the beautiful Blue Lagoon and the Avakas Gorge, as well as the Baths of Aphrodite, a natural pool which, according to legend, was the favorite swimming place of the Greek goddess. The peninsula is about a 90-minute drive north of Paphos.
- Choirokoitia. Another UNESCO World Heritage site worth a stop is the reconstructed ruins of the Neolithic settlement at Choirokoitia, the oldest evidence of civilization on Cyprus. Thanks to some nice work by the archeologists, and some few didactic signs, you get a good idea of the organization of the village that dates back almost 9000 years. There are 20-some circular structures encompassing dwellings, storage bins, and even tombs.
Car Rental Prices
- Convertibles - from $102 per day
- Station wagons - from $33 per day
- Large cars - from $20 per day
- Medium cars - from $15 per day
- Vans - from $40 per day
- Premium cars - from $72 per day
- Small cars - from $13 per day
- SUVs - from $23 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Austria:
- Compare rates
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Cyprus is the cheapest in January - prices start from € 17.47 for an economy vehicle per day which is 50% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 7 Most Popular Cities in Cyprus
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Cyprus?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the average rental length in Cyprus?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Cyprus?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||21|
|Popular suppliers||Aercar, Get Your Car, AutoRent Cyprus, Elephant Rent A Car, GreenMotion|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Vans|
|Lowest price||$13 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Elephant Rent A Car||Toyota Passo||5||1||Small cars|
|Aercar||Volkswagen Up||5||2||Small cars|
|AutoRent Cyprus||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|AIDA||Toyota Aygo||4||2||Small cars|
|AutoRent Cyprus||Kia Picanto||5||1||Small cars|
|Get Your Car||Citroen C1||5||1||Small cars|
|Aercar||Toyota Yaris||5||1||Small cars|
|Get Your Car||Opel Corsa||4||1||Small cars|
|Aercar||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|AutoRent Cyprus||Toyota Aygo||4||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.