Car Rental in Croatia
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Croatia?
With a diverse landscape, stunning nature, fascinating cities, small distances, and a host of interesting neighbors, Croatia is one of the true up-and-coming travel destinations of Europe.
If you want to know more about renting a car in Croatia, don't miss our complete guide.
One-way Car Rentals in Croatia
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Croatia and drop off in another country:
- From Croatia to Montenegro - 248 offers from US$ 16.81 per day
- From Croatia to Italy - 188 offers from US$ 42.22 per day
- From Croatia to Slovenia - 134 offers from US$ 26.33 per day
- From Croatia to Romania - 72 offers from US$ 80.57 per day
- From Croatia to Czech Republic - 30 offers from US$ 114.20 per day
Top ways to enter Croatia
- Split Airport: Located in the south of the country, Split Airport hosts flights to and from most European countries and is the best entry point to reach the beaches and islands of Dalmatia.
- Zagreb Airport: Croatia’s largest international airport serving the nation’s capital and the country’s north.
- Dubrovnik Airport: Another Dalmatian airport, located on the very southeastern point of Croatia.
- By land: It’s possible to rent a car in a nearby country and then drive to Croatia. Some large international airports near Croatia include Budapest Airport in Hungary, Vienna Airport in Austria, and Venice Airport in Italy. It should be noted, however, that different visa requirements may be in place for citizens of different countries, so contact your embassy in advance to find out about any international borders you would like to cross.
- By ferry: There is a regular ferry service between various port cities in Croatia and Bari and Ancona in Italy. Bringing your rental car on the ferry may or may not be possible depending on the terms of ferry company, so make sure to check first.
Top cities and places to visit
- Zagreb. Croatia’s marvelous capital is full of modernity, history, and stunning architecture in equal measure.
- Istria. The peninsula in the northwest of the country is a home of a distinct culture, beaches, and the charming towns of Pula and Opatija.
- Slavonia. Croatia’s forested northeast offers more traditional way of life. Compared to other parts of the country, Slavonia has a more Central European feel.
- Split. The largest city of Dalmatia region, Split offers everything from Roman relics to famous seafood and access to Croatia’s many islands.
- Dubrovnik. Although it is best known for Game of Thrones being filmed there, it is not an overstatement to say that Dubrovnik and nearby towns have some of the best beaches in Europe.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental in Croatia is the VW Polo, closely followed by the Opel Corsa and the Skoda Fabia.
Driver license requirements
- Croatia accepts all driver licenses issued in the European Union (EU).
- If your driver license is issued by a non-EU country, for it to be considered valid you’ll need a Croatian visa. Another requirement is to have been in the EU for no more than six months at the time of the rental. If you’ve been in the EU longer, you’ll need a driver license issued by an EU country.
- If your driver license is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) or an official translation of your license into English or Croatian.
- You must carry your driver license, not its copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver license for at least one or two years, depending on the car provider’s requirements.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car provider and car category, so make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking.
While a member state of the European Union (EU), Croatia is not a member of the Schengen Area. Croatia is bordered by Slovenia, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Montenegro. Hungary and Slovenia are part of the Schengen Area. The other three countries are not and each of them have their own visa policy, so you may or may not be able to enter them, depending on your citizenship. If you plan to visit Croatia’s neighbor during your rental period, we advise to get in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs in advance to find out about the visa requirements.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The type of car rented most often in Croatia is an economy, but mini and compact are also very popular.
Top driving routes
Split–Dubrovnik (229 km / 142 mi) The road between these two beach cities is extremely scenic as it stretches right along the Adriatic Coast in all its length.
Zagreb–Budapest (345 km / 214 mi) Budapest can be reached in under for hours from Zagreb, but if you decide to take a relaxing break on the shores of Balaton, Hungary’s largest lake that will be on your way, we really can’t blame you. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so first check with your rental car provider to find out if they allow it.
Rijeka–Venice (232 km / 144 mi) Although Croatia and Italy don’t share a border, you can reach one of the Europe’s most iconic cities in about three hours. Note that you’ll have to cross the national borders of Slovenia and Italy, so first check with your rental car provider to find out if they allow it.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $45 per day
- Large cars - from $63 per day
- Medium cars - from $35 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $81 per day
- Premium cars - from $117 per day
- Small cars - from $25 per day
- SUVs - from $63 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Croatia:
- Compare rates
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
Top 15 Most Popular Cities in Croatia
Car Rental in Zagreb from $21.68 per day
Car Rental in Split from $21.68 per day
Car Rental in Zadar from $4.02 per day
Car Rental in Rijeka from $6.62 per day
Car Rental in Pula from $4.02 per day
Car Rental in Osijek from $16.90 per day
Car Rental in Trogir from $8.92 per day
Car Rental in Sibenik from $4.02 per day
Car Rental in Brač from $52.99 per day
Car Rental in Porec from $18.49 per day
Car Rental in Rovinj from $8.55 per day
Car Rental in Opatija from $9.35 per day
Car Rental in Primošten from $4.02 per day
Car Rental in Biograd from $4.02 per day
Top 20 Most Popular Locations in Croatia
Car Rental at Zagreb Airport from $2.74 per day
Car Rental at Split Airport from $4.20 per day
Car Rental at Zagreb Train Station from $21.68 per day
Car Rental at Dubrovnik Airport from $2.38 per day
Car Rental at Zadar Airport from $4.20 per day
Car Rental at Panorama Zagreb Hotel from $16.90 per day
Car Rental at Zagreb, Westin Hotel from $13.26 per day
Car Rental in Zagreb Esplanade Hotel from $12.79 per day
Car Rental Zagreb Hotel Slisko from $22.14 per day
Car Rental at Split Port from $21.68 per day
Car Rental at Pula Airport from $4.20 per day
Car Rental at the Port of Zadar from $4.02 per day
Car Rental at Rijeka Airport from $6.33 per day
Car Rental at Dubrovnik Port from $21.68 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Croatia?
What’s the average rental length in Croatia?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Croatia?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|AddCar||Suzuki Swift||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
|RightCars||VW Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Citroen C1||3||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Citroen C3||5||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Suzuki Baleno||5||2||Medium cars|
|GreenMotion||Opel Corsa||4||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Hyundai i20||4||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Chevrolet Spark||5||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Opel Astra||5||2||Medium cars|