Car Rental in Pula
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Pula?
Pula is a great place to explore by car. A historic city with plenty of Roman and Medieval sites, it is also near many stunning beaches, islands, and natural areas, offering something for everyone. From Pula, you can easily explore the Istrian peninsula, the rest of Croatia, and even neighboring Slovenia and Italy.
One-Way Car Rentals in Pula
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Pula and drop off in another city include:
- From Pula to Dubrovnik - 214 offers from US$ 24.22 per day
- From Pula to Split - 287 offers from US$ 22.52 per day
- From Pula to Zadar - 156 offers from US$ 22.52 per day
- From Pula to Zagreb - 156 offers from US$ 22.52 per day
- From Pula to Rovinj - 50 offers from US$ 32.02 per day
Top ways to enter Pula
- Pula Airport: Especially active during the summer months, Pula Airport offers flights to and from domestic destinations, as well as the United Kingdom, Germany, Switzerland, Russia, and many other European countries. Conveniently, the airport is located just 6km (3.7 miles) northeast of the city center.
- Rijeka Airport: Another small and cozy airport on the Croatian coast, Rijeka Airport serves flights to such varied destinations as Israel, Norway, Bulgaria, and Latvia, as well as more popular Western European ones. The airport is 131km (81 miles) northeast of Pula.
- Zagreb Airport: The largest and busiest in Croatia, Zagreb Airport serves the nation’s capital in the center of the country. It might seem quite far from Pula, but thanks to good road conditions the distance between the two cities can be covered in just over three hours.
- Ljubljana Airport: Serving the capital of neighboring Slovenia, Ljubljana Jože Pučnik Airport sees almost two million travelers every year. The airport is just a two-and-a-half-hour drive north of Pula. Keep in mind, though, that if you plan to come from Ljubljana to Pula, you’ll have to cross an international border, so first check to see if your car rental provider permits this. Also, be sure to check Croatia's entry requirements for citizens of your country.
Useful city facts
- Like much of the Adriatic coast, Pula enjoys a pleasant and warm subtropical climate. The average temperature is 23 °C (73 °F) in July and August and 6 °C (43 °F) in January and February. The precipitation is spread out rather evenly throughout the year.
- Like the rest of the Istria County, Pula is bilingual as both Croatian and Italian languages have official status. Nowadays, most of the population of the region is Croatian, but around 5% of Pula’s inhabitants are native Italian-speakers.
Top destinations and activities
- Arena of Pula. One of the largest Roman amphitheaters in the world, this impressive complex was built during the 1st century A.D. Fights between gladiators or between men and animals were held here until the year 681 when they were finally forbidden. One of the most impressive architectural monuments in Croatia, the amphitheater is a must-see place if you’re in Pula. Visitors can also visit the caverns beneath the main structure.
- Beaches. No worse than their Italian and Greek counterparts, the beaches of Pula are quite simply world-class. Have fun with locals at the Ambrela Beach (also known as the St. John’s Beach) or drive to the nearby Zlatne Stijene, or the Golden Rocks Beach. Just a bit further away, near the picturesque village of Premantura, are the beaches of the Kamenjak Peninsula, considered by some to be the most picturesque in all of Croatia.
- Archaeological Museum of Istria. Once home to ancient Romans, Illyrians, Venetians, and others, the region of Istria has seen its fair share of epic rulers over the centuries. Many of their weapons, jewelry, and art objects have now found a home in this great museum in Pula. In addition to more mundane objects, fossils, idol images, and sarcophagi can be seen here.
Traffic and parking tips
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 130 km/h on motorways, 110 km/h on main highways, 90 km/h on most other roads, and 50 km/h in populated and built-up areas.
- During autumn and spring (from October to March) you need to drive with your headlights on, even during the day.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers and drivers under the age of 24. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines, an EU-wide license ban, or even imprisonment.
- Gas stations are usually open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., although many stay open until 10 p.m. during summer.
- The car’s registration and insurance documents must be in it at all times.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
A toll must be paid for using most Croatian motorways. There are two types of toll systems in Croatia, open and closed. On open toll highways, which are mostly tunnels, bridges, and short stretches of highway, all drivers must stop to pay tolls at various locations. On closed toll highways, the driver is given a receipt upon entering the highway that shows where they entered the toll road. They then need to present the receipt when leaving the toll road and pay for the section driven. If you lose the receipt, you’ll need to pay as if you drove the maximum length of the toll road. If your receipt is more than 24 hours old, for example, because you stay for the night somewhere along the toll road, you’ll need to provide a valid explanation of the situation at the exit toll booth.
The payment for the toll road can be made either with cash or by credit card. You can also purchase an electronic toll collection device or a monthly prepaid ticket that includes a 10% discount, both of which are non-refundable. Some rental cars are equipped with an electronic toll transponder, the price of which is usually included in the rental price. Ask your car rental provider about it in advance. Find out more about the toll roads in Croatia on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Brijuni. An archipelago known for its natural beauty, Brijuni Islands National Park is another of those too-beautiful-not-to-visit places in Croatia. The islands are home to many native plant species like olive trees, but cedars and bamboos also seem to like the climate here. Animals like deer, cormorants, water turtles, and even dolphins can be spotted sometimes. You cannot reach Brijuni by car but drive to the nearby town of Fažana from which the islands are only a short boat ride away.
- Rovinj. Beautiful and bilingual, Rovinj is a place where Croatian and Italian influences have mixed to create beautiful architecture, tranquil locals, and delicious cuisine (truffles, olive oil, seafood, and wine are some of the local specialties). The town is just about a 40-minute drive north of Pula.
- Rijeka. Sitting on the Kvarner Bay, Rijeka is a place of proud maritime traditions and an artistic, multicultural present. Explore its many castles and museums, visit its impressive theaters (a grand experience even if you don’t speak Croatian), hit the local market for fresh produce from the area’s farmers, and, like elsewhere in Croatia, don’t forget about the beach. Rijeka is about 110km (68 miles) northeast of Pula, a distance that can be driven in 90 minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Pula is the VW Golf, closely followed by the VW Up and Toyota Yaris. The most popular rental car types in Pula are the mini, economy, and compact classes.
- Slovenia. Croatia’s northwest neighbor has a rather short coastline, but it’s largest beach town Koper is awesome! Just 100km (62 miles) north of Pula, it is just as fun but has a different atmosphere and culture. From here, travel further to enjoy the pleasures of the capital city Ljubljana or to climb the majestic Julian Alps. Keep in mind that to travel from Pula to Slovenia you’ll have to cross an international border, so first ask your rental car provider if this is permitted. Also, while both countries are in the EU, Slovenia is a member of the Schengen Agreement while Croatia is not, yet; therefore, be sure to check the Schengen entry requirements for your nationality.
- Venice. One of the most famous places of the old world, Venice is just a three-and-a-half hour drive from Pula. Full of world-famous museums and galleries, crowded squares, and small isolated islands, visiting the sinking city is an experience of a lifetime. To visit Venice, you’ll have to cross two international national borders (Croatia-Slovenia and Slovenia-Italy), so first, make sure your rental car provider permits it. Also, check to see if you need a visa to visit the Schengen area.
- Zagreb. While most of Croatia’s coast is Mediterranean in atmosphere in respects to architecture to cuisine, Zagreb feels more Central European. Such stark contrast within one country can alone be a fine reason to travel there. But the capital city is also a true metropolis that is equal parts historical, classy, and fun. From Pula by car, it can be reached in just a little over three hours.
Car Rental Prices in Pula
- Station wagons - from $39 per day
- Large cars - from $58 per day
- Medium cars - from $26 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $80 per day
- Small cars - from $17 per day
- SUVs - from $45 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Try these tips and tricks to get a good car rental deal in Pula:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Pula is the cheapest in June when renting a car is about 59% cheaper than the yearly average and an entire 80% cheaper than renting a car in August. Choosing the right month of summer can be crucial when visiting the Croatian coast!
Top 18 Cities near Pula
220.2 km / 136.8 miles away
419.2 km / 260.5 miles away
Zagreb Car Rentals from $22.96 per day196.4 km / 122.1 miles away
Zadar Car Rentals from $22.96 per day136.8 km / 85.0 miles away
Rijeka Car Rentals from $22.96 per day69.6 km / 43.3 miles away
Trogir Car Rentals from $22.96 per day242.8 km / 150.9 miles away
Porec Car Rentals from $20.10 per day44.5 km / 27.6 miles away
Rovinj Car Rentals from $16.26 per day28.4 km / 17.6 miles away
Sibenik Car Rentals from $6.69 per day205.8 km / 127.9 miles away
Osijek Car Rentals from $16.91 per day394.5 km / 245.1 miles away
Opatija Car Rentals from $9.80 per day63.7 km / 39.6 miles away
Primošten Car Rentals from $6.69 per day217.9 km / 135.4 miles away
Biograd Car Rentals from $6.69 per day163.2 km / 101.4 miles away
Vela Luka Car Rentals from $12.08 per day312.6 km / 194.3 miles away
196.7 km / 122.2 miles away
182.2 km / 113.2 miles away
106.3 km / 66.1 miles away
328.7 km / 204.2 miles away
Top 19 Locations near Pula
Pula Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $22.96 per day
Pula Airport Car Rentals from $6.69 per day6.5 km / 4.0 miles away
Porec Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $22.96 per day44.6 km / 27.7 miles away
Rijeka Airport Car Rentals from $7.52 per day68.8 km / 42.7 miles away
Rijeka Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $22.96 per day69.6 km / 43.3 miles away
Zadar Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $22.96 per day136.8 km / 85.0 miles away
Zadar Port Car Rentals from $6.69 per day137.4 km / 85.4 miles away
Zadar Airport Car Rentals from $6.69 per day145.6 km / 90.5 miles away
Panorama Zagreb Hotel Car Rentals from $16.91 per day194.8 km / 121.0 miles away
Zagreb, Westin Hotel Car Rentals from $13.27 per day195.7 km / 121.6 miles away
Zagreb Esplanade Hotel Car Rentals from $12.79 per day196.3 km / 122.0 miles away
Zagreb Train Station Car Rentals from $22.96 per day196.4 km / 122.1 miles away
Zagreb Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $22.96 per day196.6 km / 122.1 miles away
Zagreb Hotel Slisko Car Rentals from $22.14 per day197.6 km / 122.8 miles away
Zagreb Airport Car Rentals from $5.15 per day199.1 km / 123.7 miles away
Split Airport Car Rentals from $3.69 per day244.7 km / 152.0 miles away
Split Port Car Rentals from $22.96 per day256.1 km / 159.1 miles away
Split Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $22.96 per day256.3 km / 159.3 miles away
Osijek Airport Car Rentals from $16.91 per day394.5 km / 245.1 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Pula?
What’s the usual rental length in Pula?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Pula?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Flizzr||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Suzuki Swift||5||2||Small cars|
|Flizzr||Opel Corsa||3||1||Small cars|
|Flizzr||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Opel Karl 3d||3||1||Small cars|
|RightCars||VW Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Toyota Yaris||4||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Suzuki Swift||5||1||Small cars|
|Flizzr||Opel Astra||5||2||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|