Car Rental at Auckland Airport
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Airport Car Rental
The largest city in the country, Auckland is also one of New Zealand’s main tourist attractions. Whether you come for its famous landmarks, vibrant cultural life, or surrounding nature, you’re likely to find something that excites you. These are six of the most interesting attractions in and around Auckland:
- Stardome. An observatory and a planetarium, Stardome is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the city. Run by the Auckland Astronomical Society, it offers different exhibitions and interactive experiences, as well as, of course, the possibility of exploring the majestic space that surrounds the Earth. New Zealand is generally considered one of the best places on the planet for stargazing, and its extreme location in the Southern Hemisphere offers great views of cosmic objects that cannot be seen from many other places in the world. Visit Stardome’s official website to find out more. New Zealand is also known as a great place for viewing the Aurora Australis or the southern lights (the southern island is especially good for it, with places like the Aoraki Mackenzie International Dark Sky Reserve offering tours).
- Auckland Domain. A large park, Auckland Domain is one of the most beautiful urban green spaces in New Zealand and provides great opportunities for enjoying nature without leaving the city. The pride of the domain is the Wintergardens, two large, charming glasshouses named the Temperate House and the Tropical House. They are home to different, unique plants from the country and around the world. Last but not least, the Domain offers scenic views of the harbor below.
- Auckland Art Gallery. The most famous gallery in New Zealand is a treat for all art lovers. Also known as Toi o Tāmaki in Maori, the gallery was first built in the late 19th century. Significantly rebuilt during the last two decades, in 2013, it received the architectural title of World Building of the Year. The gallery hosts a wealth of artworks by artists from New Zealand and the rest of the Oceania region, as well as an impressive collection from world-famous masters like Gauguin, Picasso, Cezanne, and Dali.
- Auckland War Memorial and Museum. Although it has a largely military focus - there is a permanent exhibition called Scars of the Heart dedicated to several tragic chapters of history - this is one of the most diverse cultural institutions in all of New Zealand. The museum has an extensive focus on natural history, as well as several large and very interesting exhibitions on the traditions and crafts of the native Māori and other Polynesian peoples.
- Auckland’s Skytower. Auckland’s tallest building doubles as an observation tower for tourists. You can get a great taste of New Zealand's adventure culture by doing either a SkyWalk, SkyJump, or SkySlide virtual experience from the tower. The building is located right in the city centre. On a day with good weather, you can see up to 80 kilometers away.
- Mount Eden. An extinct volcano and a great lookout point of Auckland’s skyline, the downtown area, and the harbor. The area of the volcano is also famous for Eden Park, the famous stadium, where the ‘All Blacks’ — New Zealand’s beloved rugby team — practice and plays their games.
Top international routes
- Hong Kong
- Los Angeles
Most popular types of rental car
Car rental desks
Alamo (serviced by Enterprise) is located at the Park&Ride car park. Its rental desk can be reached by taking the Park&Ride bus from either terminal.
All other rental car companies are located off-airport and provide shuttles for their customers to their pick up and drop off points.
Services and facilities
Nearest gas station
When dropping off your rental from discount and low-cost rental companies located off-airport, the Z station would require a circle if coming from the north. A better option would be to exit the South Western Motorway (Highway 20) before the airport at Coronation Road (Highway 14) where there is a BP station. From the station, it is just a 5-10 minute drive to all of the rental car locations.
Popular one-way rentals
- Christchurch (1,065 km / 662 mi)
- Queenstown (1,541 km / 957 mi)
- Wellington (632 km / 392 mi)
- Napier (401 km / 249 mi)
- Rotorua (216 km / 134 mi)
- Dunedin (1,419 km / 881 mi)
Auckland Airport (AKL)
- IATA: AKL
- ICAO: NZAA
- Name: Auckland Airport (AKL)
- Distance from city: 11.2 miles / 18 km
Top 20 Locations near Auckland Airport
Car Rental in Auckland Onehunga from $57.81 per day9.5 km / 5.9 miles away
Car Rental in Auckland Penrose from $58.73 per day10.4 km / 6.5 miles away
Car Rental in Auckland East Tamaki from $27.50 per day12.2 km / 7.6 miles away
Car Rental in Auckland Mount Wellington from $57.81 per day12.3 km / 7.6 miles away
Car Rental in Auckland (Downtown) from $27.50 per day17.8 km / 11.1 miles away
Car Rental in Auckland Henderson from $27.50 per day20.5 km / 12.7 miles away
Car Rental in Auckland Glenfield from $27.50 per day25.9 km / 16.1 miles away
Car Rental at Waiheke Island Port from $52.96 per day31.3 km / 19.4 miles away
Car Rental at Whangarei Airport from $43.26 per day143.0 km / 88.9 miles away
Car Rental at Tauranga Airport from $43.47 per day145.0 km / 90.1 miles away
Car Rental at Rotorua Airport from $34.91 per day182.3 km / 113.3 miles away
Car Rental at New Plymouth Airport from $41.64 per day228.8 km / 142.2 miles away
Car Rental at Napier Airport from $36.77 per day328.4 km / 204.1 miles away
Car Rental at Palmerston North Airport from $42.80 per day375.4 km / 233.3 miles away
Car Rental at Wellington Inter Island Ferry Terminal from $62.16 per day473.2 km / 294.0 miles away
Car Rental in Wellington (Downtown) from $29.42 per day477.1 km / 296.5 miles away
Car Rental at Wellington Airport from $26.34 per day480.3 km / 298.4 miles away
Car Rental at Nelson Airport from $49.12 per day495.8 km / 308.1 miles away
Car Rental at Christchurch Airport from $25.81 per day745.1 km / 463.0 miles away
Car Rental in Christchurch (Downtown) from $29.18 per day748.0 km / 464.8 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices the lowest at Auckland Airport?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
For how long do renters keep their vehicles at Auckland Airport?
What is the most popular time of year to rent a car at Auckland Airport?
Car Rental Information
|Popular suppliers||Yes Rentals, Autounion, Discount Car Rentals New Zealand, Mode Car Rentals, Rentalcars247|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Large cars|
|Lowest price||$28 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||EV Hire|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Autounion||Toyota Aqua Hybrid||5||2||Medium cars|
|Discount Car Rentals New Zealand||Toyota Yaris||5||2||Small cars|
|Discount Car Rentals New Zealand||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Large cars|
|Autounion||Mazda Demio||5||2||Small cars|
|Hertz||Hyundai i30||5||2||Medium cars|
|Yes Rentals||Toyota Aqua Hybrid||5||1||Medium cars|
|Bargain Rental Cars||Mazda Demio||4||2||Medium cars|
|Rentalcars247||Suzuki Swift||5||1||Small cars|
|EV Hire||Toyota Aqua Hybrid||5||1||Medium cars|
|Autounion||Nissan March||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.