Car Rental at Christchurch Airport
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Airport Car Rental
The largest city on New Zealand’s South Island, Christchurch is one of the main gateways to everything that this majestic, sparsely populated region has to offer, as well as being an interesting destination in its own right. Continuing to admirably recover from the series of earthquakes that plagued the city at the beginning of the 2010s, it is home to a surprising number of landmarks and things to do and has many great places around it that are perfect for day trips. Here are three of them:
- International Antarctic Centre. One of the southernmost cities in the world, Christchurch is a global hub for the exploration of the relatively-nearby Antarctica. Shared by the New Zealandic, Italian, and American Antarctic programs, the International Antarctic Centre is a fascinating place to learn about the majestic seventh continent. Attractions include the experience of what an Antarctic field trip is like, a snow storm room, and even a rescue center for the kororā (or little blue penguin). Visit the centre’s website to find out about visiting.
- Orana Wildlife Park. The largest of its kind in New Zealand, Orana is a wildlife sanctuary dedicated to the protection of threatened species. With minimal fencing and many of the animals roaming free, it feels more like a safari than a zoo (visitors, instead of animals, are kept inside portable cages where barriers are necessary). Some of Orana’s inhabitants include silverback gorillas, lions, and many native animals. It also has educational programs about conservation.
- Arthur’s Pass National Park. Named after a mountain pass in New Zealand’s Southern Alps, this is one of the largest and most popular nature reserves in the area. Retaining its original wilderness, Arthur’s Pass National Park is also a great place for climbing, hiking, skiing, or simply taking in the mountain views. Located about 135 km (84 miles) northwest of Christchurch, Arthur’s Pass takes less than two hours to reach and can thus be visited on a day trip (although there are opportunities for accommodation in and around the park). Other, smaller nature areas closer to Christchurch include the Torlesse Tussocklands Park and Waimakariri River Regional Park (both are on the way to Arthur’s Pass), as well as the Banks Peninsula to the east.
Top international routes
- Gold Coast
Qantas, Australia’s flag carrier, provides service between Christchurch and the three largest cities in Australian, Brisbane, Melbourne, and Sydney.
Virgin Australia provides year-round service between the airport and Brisbane and Melbourne and seasonal service to Rarotonga and Sydney.
China South Airlines and Emirates serve international routes to Guangzhou in southern China and Dubai, respectively.
Most popular types of rental car
Car rental desks
The rental companies that are located outside of the airport all provide shuttles to their locations. These shuttles can be found outside of the Regional Lounge at the opposite side of the terminal (exit through Doors 1 or 2).
Services and facilities
Nearest gas station
For renters returning cars to companies that are not located at the airport, other gas stations may be more convenient. Those returning cars to GO Rentals or Discount Car Rentals are best served by a BP station located on the roundabout of Highway 1 and Harewood Rd, which is directly on the way to those companies’ locations.
If coming from the city center of Christchurch and returning a rental car to Hitch or Right Cars, A Z service station on Wairakei Rd. is the best station to use. If coming from the north along Highway 1, the previously mentioned BP station would be best. And if coming from the south along Highway 1 a Caltex station located at the intersection of Highway 1 and Highway 73, though a little further away, may be the best choice.
Popular one-way rentals
- Auckland (1,075 km / 668 miles)
- Wellington (439 km / 273 miles)
- Queenstown (479 km / 297 miles)
Christchurch Airport (CHC)
- IATA: CHC
- ICAO: NZCH
- Name: Christchurch Airport (CHC)
- Size: Large Airport
- Aircraft movements (per year): 94,955
- Passengers (per year): 6,439,703
- Distance from City: 5.6 miles / 9 km WNW of town
- Working hours: 24 hours a day
- Phone: +64 3 358 5029
- Email: email@example.com
Top 15 Locations near Christchurch Airport
Car Rental at Blenheim Airport from $35.53 per day246.1 km / 152.9 miles away
Car Rental at Nelson Airport from $21.48 per day253.0 km / 157.2 miles away
Car Rental at Wellington Airport from $10.95 per day303.0 km / 188.3 miles away
Car Rental at Wellington Inter Island Ferry Terminal from $34.57 per day307.8 km / 191.3 miles away
Car Rental at Dunedin Airport from $31.75 per day328.3 km / 204.0 miles away
Car Rental at Queenstown Airport from $14.72 per day351.7 km / 218.5 miles away
Car Rental at Palmerston North Airport from $45.83 per day433.8 km / 269.5 miles away
Car Rental at Invercargill Airport from $37.63 per day466.8 km / 290.1 miles away
Car Rental at New Plymouth Airport from $45.83 per day519.2 km / 322.6 miles away
Car Rental at Napier Airport from $47.77 per day573.3 km / 356.2 miles away
Car Rental at Rotorua Airport from $49.42 per day677.7 km / 421.1 miles away
Car Rental at Tauranga Airport from $49.42 per day717.6 km / 445.9 miles away
Car Rental at Auckland Airport from $10.80 per day748.0 km / 464.8 miles away
Car Rental in Auckland Ponsonby from $14.73 per day764.1 km / 474.8 miles away
Car Rental at Whangarei Airport from $39.06 per day876.0 km / 544.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices cheapest at Christchurch Airport?
What’s the most popular rental length at Christchurch Airport?
Which is the busiest car rental month at Christchurch Airport?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Snap Rentals||Toyota Vitz||5||2||Small cars|
|Bargain Rental Cars||Mazda Demio||4||2||Medium cars|
|Snap Rentals||Toyota Aqua||5||1||Medium cars|
|Discount Car Rentals New Zealand||Toyota Yaris||5||2||Small cars|
|yesaway||Toyota Corolla||4||3||Large cars|
|Mode Car Rentals||Toyota RAV4||5||2||SUVs|
|yesaway||Subaru Forester 4WD||5||3||SUVs|
|Ezu Car Rental||Suzuki Swift||4||1||Small cars|
|Ezu Car Rental||Kia Rio||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.