Car Rental in Corfu
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Corfu?
Corfu is a fun place to visit, and you’ll especially enjoy your stay if you get your own ride. Having a rental car will let you to not only explore the hidden spots of the charming Corfu City (known as Kerkyra in Modern Greek), but also to travel to other spots on the island, nature reserves, old monasteries, and remote, beautiful beaches being just some of them.
One-Way Car Rentals in Corfu
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Corfu and drop off in another city include:
- From Corfu to Athens - 52 offers from 29.63 USD per day
Top ways to enter Corfu
- Corfu Airport: Named after Ioannis Kapodistrias, a famous Greek diplomat who hailed from the island, Corfu Airport is located just south of the Corfu City center. It is the only international airport on the island.
- Ioannina Airport: Located in the nearby Epirus Region, Ioannina Airport is one of the closest airports to Corfu, although it is located on the Greek mainland, so you’ll have to take a ferry (or another flight) to get to Corfu.
- Preveza Airport: Another nearby airport on the mainland, Preveza-Aktion is especially active during the summer months when it hosts flights to and from many different European countries, including United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, Denmark, and others.
- Patras Airport: Serving the Peloponnese city of Patras, this airport hosts flights by more than 10 different airlines. There is a frequent ferry service from Patras to Corfu, especially during the summer months.
- By sea: If you’re arriving Corfu by ferry, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Corfu Port or Corfu Cruise Terminal.
Useful city facts
- Corfu enjoys a hot Mediterranean climate. The temperature rises over 30 °C (85 °F) during summers, so getting properly hydrated at all times is important. Even winters are mild, with average temperature 10 °C (50 °F) in January. There are a lot of rainy days from October all the way to April. Summers, on the other hand, are very dry.
- The famous British naturalist Gerald Durrell spent a large part of his childhood living on the island. He has credited his early interactions with local Corfu animals, birds, and fish for creating his interest in wildlife conservation.
- Someone who hails from Corfu is called a Corfiote in English.
Top destinations and activities
- Archaeological Museum. Like many places in Greece, Corfu has a long and impressive history that dates back to ancient times. Corfu City Archaeological Museum is the best place to learn about it. Here you’ll find the breathtaking Gorgon pediment from the nearby Temple of Artemis, as well as works of Greek artists created more than 2500 years ago.
- Benitses. Perhaps the best known and certainly the most picturesque of Corfu fishing villages, Benitses is now a fun and busy place where you’ll find everything from serene Ionian beaches to local restaurants and spas. Once properly relaxed, drive your rental car to check out nearby Achilleion Palace.
- Old Fortress. Unlike many other parts of Greece, Corfu was part of the Venetian Empire for a few centuries. This heritage can be observed in many things, not least the island’s unique cuisine, but when it comes to architecture, its best example is the old fort that helped the island survive numerous Ottoman sieges. More recently, it featured in the James Bond classif For Your Eyes Only.
Traffic and parking tips
- There are no highways in Corfu (nor on any other Greek islands).
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 90 km/h (55.9 mph) on roads outside populated areas, and 50 km/h (31 mph) in populated and built-up areas.
- While the larger Corfu roads are in good shape, the smaller roads might have poor surfacing and potholes. Be careful when driving on them, especially after dark.
- Many gas stations might be closed during the weekends and public holidays.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to high fines and a licence ban. Exceeding the limit of 0.08% is a criminal offence and can lead to up to two years of imprisonment.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112. The police number is 100, the ambulance number is 166, and the fire brigade number is 199.
There are no toll roads in Corfu. There are a number of toll roads, tunnels, and bridges on mainland Greece. Many travelers find them very hard to navigate and some choose to avoid using the toll roads altogether because of the very complex toll road system that is in place. Different toll roads are administered by different private companies and so there is not a single, nationwide (or even region-wide) toll road system in place.
For most toll roads, the payment can be either made by cash at a toll gate, by a credit card, or by coins at an automatic toll slot machine. For some roads, an electronic transponder that’s in a car might be used to pay for using the toll road. Some rental cars might be equipped with such an electronic transponder. However, because of the aforementioned different toll road systems that are in place, this payment method might work for some toll roads, but not for others. Set out your route in advance and ask your car rental provider about the best way to pay for all the toll roads that you plan to use.
Find out more about toll roads in Greece on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Beaches. Corfu is full of fascinating history and natural sites, but it would be a shame to visit here without spending at least a few full days on its world-class beaches. There’s something for everyone, too, from the fun and busy Sidari Beach and Ipsos Beach to picturesque Chalikounas Beach and more remote and quiet Prasoudi Beach.
- Nymphes. Although we cannot promise you’ll get to see one, the legend says that nymphs like to come and bathe in this picturesque villages many waterfalls. Combine these explorations with a stay in a local farm where you can taste many of the delicious fruits and sweets that grow here.
- Old Perithia. Once a hiding place from looming pirate attacks, this historic village cannot be seen from the sea, but the secludedness only adds to its charm. Come here, rent an room from the locals, and go on long walks to observe and enjoy the island’s unique flora and fauna.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Corfu is the Opel Corsa, although travelers also like the Suzuki Alto and the Kia Picanto. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact, and mini. Many roads in Corfu are very narrow, so picking a smaller or medium-sized car is a good idea.
- The rest of Ionian Islands. Similar to one another in landscape and culture, but each retaining its unique character, Lefkada, Kefalonia, Zakynthos, and the rest of the Ionian Islands are fascinating places to visit. Some ferries allow bringing a rental car on board, but just in case, do ask your rental car provider first if they permit it.
- Italy. If you went by land from Greece to Italy, you’d have to cross at least three different countries in between. If you travel by ferry, however, it’s much more straightforward as there is frequent service between Corfu and different Italian cities, from Venice in the north to Ancona in the middle and Bari in the south. Before doing this trip, however, do ask your rental car provider if they permit it. Also, make sure your documents for entering Italy are in order.
- More Corfu. The island of Corfu is quite small and it might sometimes seen that you can see everything there is in a week. Stay a bit longer, however, and you’ll soon discover that the real secrets and delights of the island can only be discovered if you live like a local.
Car Rental Prices in Corfu
- Large cars - from $61 per day
- Medium cars - from $41 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $98 per day
- Small cars - from $26 per day
- SUVs - from $92 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
These are the things to keep in mind before booking your rental car in Corfu:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Corfu is the cheapest in February when renting a car is an unbelievable 70% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Corfu
Heraklion Car Rentals from $27.00 per day663.7 km / 412.4 miles away
Athens Car Rentals from $32.80 per day395.6 km / 245.8 miles away
Mykonos Car Rentals from $50.79 per day530.7 km / 329.7 miles away
Thessaloniki Car Rentals from $30.28 per day279.6 km / 173.8 miles away
Rhodes Car Rentals from $20.21 per day799.1 km / 496.6 miles away
Zakynthos Car Rentals from $26.00 per day222.5 km / 138.2 miles away
Chania Car Rentals from $25.63 per day586.7 km / 364.5 miles away
Santorini Car Rentals from $45.96 per day603.8 km / 375.2 miles away
552.0 km / 343.0 miles away
Kefalonia Car Rentals from $23.24 per day172.5 km / 107.2 miles away
Kos Car Rentals from $18.71 per day700.6 km / 435.3 miles away
Paros Car Rentals from $58.50 per day538.6 km / 334.6 miles away
Preveza Car Rentals from $28.39 per day105.2 km / 65.3 miles away
Kalamata Car Rentals from $15.59 per day336.7 km / 209.2 miles away
Skiathos Car Rentals from $27.58 per day312.3 km / 194.0 miles away
Samos Car Rentals from $22.10 per day643.8 km / 400.0 miles away
Piraeus Car Rentals from $53.59 per day372.0 km / 231.1 miles away
Milos Car Rentals from $47.18 per day513.5 km / 319.1 miles away
Kavala Car Rentals from $18.71 per day425.4 km / 264.3 miles away
785.1 km / 487.8 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Corfu
Corfu Port Car Rentals from $34.00 per day0.6 km / 0.4 miles away
Corfu Cruise Terminal Car Rentals from $46.69 per day0.9 km / 0.6 miles away
Corfu Hotel Delivery Car Rentals from $15.52 per day1.2 km / 0.7 miles away
Corfu Airport Car Rentals from $41.93 per day2.1 km / 1.3 miles away
Barbati Village Car Rentals from $46.69 per day11.3 km / 7.0 miles away
Nissaki Village Car Rentals from $46.69 per day11.8 km / 7.3 miles away
Ioannina Airport Car Rentals from $24.07 per day78.6 km / 48.9 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $28.39 per day103.2 km / 64.1 miles away
Preveza Airport Car Rentals from $28.39 per day106.8 km / 66.3 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $36.34 per day111.4 km / 69.2 miles away
Meganisi Vathi Port Car Rentals from $81.51 per day130.2 km / 80.9 miles away
Kefalonia Airport Car Rentals from $23.24 per day174.5 km / 108.4 miles away
Patras Airport Car Rentals from $50.14 per day209.6 km / 130.2 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $41.21 per day219.5 km / 136.4 miles away
Zakynthos Hotel Delivery Car Rentals from $8.79 per day221.4 km / 137.6 miles away
Grecotel Olympia Oasis Hotel Car Rentals from $33.75 per day222.3 km / 138.1 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $32.30 per day224.1 km / 139.3 miles away
Zakynthos Airport Car Rentals from $26.00 per day224.5 km / 139.5 miles away
Poseidon Palace Hotel Car Rentals from $30.40 per day233.0 km / 144.8 miles away
Volos Airport Car Rentals from $35.54 per day251.8 km / 156.4 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Corfu?
What’s the usual rental length in Corfu?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Corfu?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|GreenMotion||Skoda Citigo||4||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Hyundai i10||4||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Opel Corsa||5||2||Small cars|
|Autounion||Citroen C1||4||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Nissan Micra||5||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Up||5||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Toyota Aygo||3||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Suzuki Celerio||4||2||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Citroen C3||4||3||Medium cars|
|AddCar||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 18 Suppliers in Corfu in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email