Car Hire in Greece
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Greece?
Not just the birthplace of Western civilization, but also a vibrant, culturally distinct country, Greece is rightfully considered one of the most interesting destinations in Europe. Most visitors flock either to the classical heritage of Athens or one of the country’s countless idyllic islands, but Greece is also a home of wild nature, ancient cities, and a village culture unlike anywhere else on the continent.
Top ways to enter Greece
- Athens Airport. The busiest airport in the country is the port of entry for many foreign visitors. Most of its connections are with other European destinations, served in part by low-cost carriers like Ryanair, Volotea, and Wizz Air, but there are also flights to and from other parts of the world.
- Thessaloniki Airport. Serving the magnificent city of the same name, Thessaloniki Airport is the main air hub of the country’s north. During the summer months, it hosts flights by more than 30 different airlines.
- Other airports. Greece is an island country, and it’s possible to fly directly to many of them from other European countries. In total, there are 23 international airports in the country (though keep in mind that many only have scheduled international flights during the summer months).
Top cities and places to visit
- Athens. The birthplace of European civilization, Athens is one of the most famous cities on the planet. Its main attractions like the Parthenon and Ancient Agora are well known, but the city is also a modern metropolis with a busy cultural life and distinct neighbourhoods that are equally fun to explore.
- Crete. The largest of the Greek islands, Crete combines ancient history with a stunning coastline. The most popular places to visit include the island’s capital, Heraklion, where you’ll find the Minoan Palace of Knossos, as well as the Venetian architecture of Chania, the joyful atmosphere of Rethymno, and the stunning Samaria Gorge.
- Thessaloniki. Located in the heart of the traditional Macedonia region, Thessaloniki is the largest city of Northern Greece. Visitors come here for the impressive Byzantine walls, Roman forum, Turkish baths, and plenty of atmosphere. The city is near a number of beautiful beaches, as well as natural beauty such as in the Axios — Loudias and Mount Olympius national parks.
Most popular hire car
The most hired car in Greece is the Fiat Panda, followed by the Peugeot 108 and the Suzuki Alto. The most popular car types are mini, economy, and standard.
Driving licence requirements
- Greece recognizes driving licences from all the member states of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) as long as they are valid.
- Other licences in either the Greek or Latin alphabet are generally also recognized, provided that you have been in Greece for less than 185 days. If you’re visiting on a longer trip or are a permanent resident of Greece, you need to acquire a local driving licence.
- If your driving licence is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Similarly, if your driving licence doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP.
- Even if you have an IDP, you also need to keep your original licence on you as you might be required to provide both.
- You must carry your driving licence, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driving licence for at least two years.
- Some car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the car hire conditions before booking.
Greece is bordered by Albania, North Macedonia, Bulgaria, and Turkey. Greece is a member of the Schengen Area, but none of its neighbours is (even though Bulgaria is a member of the European Union, it is not a member of the Schengen Area).
Each of Greece’s neighbouring countries has its own visa policy. Depending on your citizenship, you may or may not need a visa to enter them. We advise getting in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs to find out about the visa requirements in each country that you’d like to visit.
In many European countries, it is almost a given that you can travel from one country to another with a hired car. In Greece, though, this is not the case. Only a few car hire companies allow cars hired in Greece to leave the country. Enterprise and Alamo are two of these companies, though they only allow their cars to be taken to countries in the European Union (i.e., only Bulgaria from Greece’s immediate neighbours). For this, they also charge 90 euros for a green card and 10 euros per day.
Hertz, Avis, and Carwiz also allow their cars to be taken out of the country, though you must arrange this at least five days prior to the start of your car hire period.
Most other car hire companies in Greece explicitly state that they do not allow their cars to be taken outside of the country and that doing such will lead to hefty fines and/or void any insurance coverage.
Another popular question is whether it is possible to take a car on a ferry. This is asked time and time again on online travel forums often with no clear answer. Car hire companies often respond to the question by stating that hirers can take their cars on ferries but that the hirer is fully responsible for any damage to the car which occurs boarding, onboard, or disembarking the ferry.
Enterprise, Alamo, Sixt, Hertz, Autounion, Carwiz, and Greenmotion all explicitly allow their cars to be taken on ferries. However, all require both advance notice and charge an extra fee (that is either per ferry trip or for the enter car hire period). If you absolutely plan on taking your hired car on a ferry, then it is best to hire from one of these companies. Be aware that, in most cases, you must return to the location where you picked up the car. Even if you were able to take the car to an island (or another island) and drop it off there, you would be charged not only a one-way car hire fee but also the ferry fare for the car’s return trip (as the company will have to relocate it).
Top driving routes
- The Ionian Islands. Located to the west of the mainland, the Greek Ionian islands is a unique region in terms of culture and scenery. Strongly influenced by their former Venetian rulers who controlled the area for centuries, the Ionian Islands are equally characterized by the historical landmarks of Corfu and the beautiful nature of Zakynthos.
- Rhodes. A large island in the Aegean Sea, Rhodes has plenty of stories to tell. Although the island’s colossus, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world, doesn’t survive to this day, the island’s attractions include the oldest medieval city centre in Europe and the island’s own acropolis, not to mention its scenic coastline.
- Chalkidiki. Known as the Three Fingers for its distinctive shape, Chalkidiki is a large peninsula (that’s made up of three smaller peninsulas or ‘fingers’) in the northeast of the country. Many of Greece’s most beautiful beaches can be found here, and then there’s the Mount Athos area with its stunning cliffside monasteries. Easy to reach, Chalkidiki is to the east of Thessaloniki and to the west of the scenic town of Kavala.
Car Hire Prices
- Convertibles - starting at £ 5 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 10 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 5 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 4 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 8 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 48 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 3 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 6 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
There are several good methods to find a cheaper car for hire:
- Compare rates of different car hire providers
- Book your vehicle well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit in the month when the prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Greece is the cheapest in March when hiring a car is about 43% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 64% cheaper than hiring a car in December.
Top 19 Most Popular Cities in Greece
Car Hire in Athens starting at £ 2.55 per day
Car Hire in Corfu starting at £ 5.06 per day
Car Hire in Thessaloniki starting at £ 2.87 per day
Car Hire in Rhodes starting at £ 4.80 per day
Car Hire in Santorini starting at £ 6.80 per day
Car Hire in Zakynthos starting at £ 7.83 per day
Car Hire in Kefalonia starting at £ 5.32 per day
Car Hire in Mykonos starting at £ 9.84 per day
Car Hire in Kos starting at £ 7.02 per day
Car Hire in Preveza starting at £ 3.91 per day
Car Hire in Kalamata starting at £ 6.85 per day
Car Hire in Skiathos starting at £ 11.40 per day
Car Hire in Kolymbia starting at £ 18.58 per day
Car Hire in Kea starting at £ 57.60 per day
Car Hire in Parga starting at £ 14.34 per day
Car Hire in Chalkidiki starting at £ 15.78 per day
Top 20 Most Popular Destinations in Greece
Car Hire at Athens Airport starting at £ 2.55 per day
Car Hire at Corfu Airport starting at £ 5.06 per day
Car Hire at Thessaloniki Airport starting at £ 2.87 per day
Car Hire at Rhodes Airport starting at £ 5.04 per day
Car Hire at Santorini Airport starting at £ 6.80 per day
Car Hire at Zakynthos Airport starting at £ 7.83 per day
Car Hire at Kefalonia Airport starting at £ 5.32 per day
Car Hire at Mykonos Airport starting at £ 9.84 per day
Car Hire at Kos Airport starting at £ 7.02 per day
Car Hire at Preveza Aktion Airport (Lefkada) starting at £ 3.91 per day
Car Hire in Athens (Downtown) starting at £ 6.72 per day
Car Hire at Kalamata Airport starting at £ 6.85 per day
Car Hire at Mykonos Port starting at £ 12.16 per day
Car Hire at Kefalonia Sami Port starting at £ 17.80 per day
Car Hire at Corfu Port starting at £ 11.56 per day
Car Hire at Skiathos Port starting at £ 11.40 per day
Car Hire at Kefalonia Poros Port starting at £ 9.18 per day
Car Hire at Kefalonia Xi Beach starting at £ 5.32 per day
Car Hire at Kefalonia Lixouri Port starting at £ 5.52 per day
Car Hire at Kefalonia Fiskardo Port starting at £ 9.18 per day
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire in Greece the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
How many days do people keep their hire cars, on average, in Greece?
Which month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Greece?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||260|
|Popular suppliers||Avance, Alma Car Hire, Yours Car Rental, EXER, Dirent a car Greece|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, People Carriers|
|Lowest price||£ 3 per day|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Avance||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|Alma Car Hire||Suzuki Celerio||5||1||Small cars|
|Yours Car Rental||Hyundai i10||5||1||Small cars|
|Avance||Citroen C3||5||1||Small cars|
|EXER||Toyota Aygo||3||1||Small cars|
|CarQ||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|Autounion||Citroen C1||4||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Alma Car Hire||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|WheeGo||Renault Twingo||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.