Car Rental in Kalamata
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Kalamata?
Kalamata is a great city to visit. One of the centers of the Peloponnese Peninsula, it has a wealth of attractions. From historic sites dating back to antiquity and interesting museums to long beautiful beaches and traditional restaurants, it is the perfect place to enjoy a long, leisurely holiday. After seeing the city itself, you can travel in your rental car to explore the rest of the peninsula - and perhaps even go all the way to Athens or the Ionian Islands.
One-Way Car Rentals in Kalamata
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Kalamata and drop off in another city include:
- From Kalamata to Thessaloniki - 81 offers from US$ 37.34 per day
- From Kalamata to Athens - 91 offers from US$ 25.88 per day
Top ways to enter Kalamata
- Kalamata Airport: Also known as Captain Vassilis Constantakopoulos Airport, it handled about 300,000 travelers in 2018. The airport is especially active during the summer months when it is served by around 15 different airlines including low-cost carriers Ryanair, easyJet, and Transavia. Located 13 km (8 miles) west of the city center, the airport can be reached in about 15 minutes.
- Athens Airport: By far the busiest in the country, Athens Airport handled over 24 million travelers in 2018. In addition to countless European connections, the airport also hosts flights to and from the Middle East, North and Sub-Saharan Africa, East Asia, and the Americas. Located 270 km (168 miles) northeast of Kalamata, Athens Airport can be reached in 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- Patras Airport: Serving the largest city of the Peloponnese Region, Patras Araxos Airport is closed during the winter. For the rest of the year, however, it has flights by 13 different airlines, providing connections with Russia, Germany, Austria, Latvia, and other European countries. Located 187 km (116 miles) northwest of Kalamata, Patras Airport can be reached in about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Preveza Airport: Another small international airport, Preveza-Aktion handled nearly 600,000 travelers in 2018. During summers, the airport has flights by more than 20 different airlines, including low-cost companies like Volotea, Vueling, and Norwegian Air. Located 420 km (260 miles) north of Kalamata, the trip to Preveza Airport can be done in about 4 hours and 30 minutes.
- By sea: If you’re arriving in Kalamata by ferry, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at the Kalamata Port. There is a ferry service to Kythira, Crete, and other Greek islands. It is important to check the schedule in advance as the service is much more active during the summer months. Check if the ferry company permits taking a rental car onboard (some do, others don’t). Even if it is permitted, ask your rental car provider if they’re okay with you taking a car on a ferry.
Useful city facts
- Like much of the rest of Southern Greece, Kalamata has a Mediterranean climate with very hot summers and mild winters. The average high temperature is 32°C (90°F) in July, the warmest month, and 15°C (60°F) in January, the coolest. There is almost no precipitation from June to August, but it gets quite rainy from November to mid-February.
- Kalamata has been long known for its olives - even in a country like Greece, they are considered among the most excellent ones. An important part of the local economy for centuries, they are so famous that similar varieties grown outside Greece are also called Kalamata. There are many restaurants in the city where you can try them, as well as traditional Greek dishes like gyros, souvlaki, and excellent local seafood.
Top destinations and activities
- Archeological Museum of Messenia. Located in a nice 18th-century building, the museum was opened in 2009. It features many artifacts and exhibits related to the different cultures that have inhabited Kalamata and the rest of the Peloponnese, from different groups of Ancient Greeks to Byzantines and Ottomans. One of the most interesting museums in the regions, it is a must-visit place in Kalamata.
- Cathedral of Ypapanti. Built on the site of a 14th-century castle, the largest cathedral in Kalamata was built in the 1860s. Although the church suffered great damage in an earthquake in 1986, it has since been restored to its former glory. Although the church continues to fulfil its function for the local Greek Orthodox Church, it is also open for visitors.
- Historical and Folkloric Museum. Greece is home to many fascinating ancient sites, but its more recent history can be just as interesting. This little museum shows what the life of the inhabitants of Kalamata and the surrounding regions has been like for the last 200 years through different agricultural objects, relics from the 1821 Greek Revolution, and examples of folk art.
Traffic and parking tips
- Greece drives on the right-hand side of the road.
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 90 km/h (55.9 mph) on roads outside populated areas and 50 km/h (31 mph) in populated and built-up areas.
- While the larger roads are in good shape, some of the smaller, rural roads might have poor surfacing and potholes. Be careful when driving on them, especially after dark.
- Many gas stations might be closed during weekends and public holidays.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to steep fines and a license ban. Exceeding the limit of 0.08% is a criminal offense and can lead to up to two years of imprisonment.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112. The police number is 100, the ambulance number is 166, and the fire brigade number is 199.
There are a number of toll roads, tunnels, and bridges on mainland Greece. Many travelers find them very hard to navigate and some choose to avoid using the toll roads altogether because of the very complex system that is in place. Different toll roads are administered by different private companies and so there is not a single, nationwide (or even region-wide) system in place.
For most toll roads, payment can be either made with cash at a toll gate, by a credit card, or with coins at an automatic toll machine. For some roads, an electronic transponder might be used to pay for using the toll road. Some rental cars may be equipped with such an electronic transponder. However, because of the aforementioned different toll systems that are in place, this payment method might work for some toll roads, but not for others. Plan your route in advance and ask your car rental provider about the best way to pay for all the toll roads that you plan to use.
Find out more about toll roads in Greece on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- The beaches. Although Kalamata is not as famous of a beach destination as many Greek resort towns and islands, there’s still plenty of beautiful coastline to enjoy. Kalamata Central Beach, located right next to the city center, is pretty and accessible, but with a rental car, you can travel to even nicer spots like Archontiko (10 km (6.2 miles) to the southeast), Bouka (16 km (9.9 miles) to the west), Kyparissia (70 km (43 miles) northwest), or any of the other beaches east and west of the city.
- Pylos. Located near the picturesque Voidokilia Bay, Pylos is one of the most picturesque cities of the Peloponnese. Attractions include the Old Venetian Castle and the New Turkish Castle, Nestor’s Cave mentioned in the Odyssey, the impressive Glossa Beach, and Gialova lagoon, a protected nature area. Located 51 km (32 miles) southwest of Kalamata, Pylos can be reached in about one hour.
- Sparta. The site of the legendary Ancient Greek city-state, nowadays Sparta is a sleepy little town with about 25,000 inhabitants. Nonetheless, traces of its glorious history can still be found in the Archaeological Museum, the Acropolis of Sparta, and a number of smaller sites. Other attractions include the interesting Museum of the Olive and the Greek Olive Oil. Located 58 km (36 miles) west of Kalamata, Sparta can be reached in about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Kalamata is the Hyundai i30, although many travelers also go for the Citroen C1 and the Suzuki Alto. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact, and mini.
- Zakynthos. Greece has many idyllic islands, but none other is described by Greeks themselves as ‘Paradise on Earth’ as often as Zakynthos. Located in the Ionian Sea just west of the mainland, it is home to dramatic steep cliffs, quaint beach towns, and many sites for scuba diving and other water sports. Just 200 km (125 miles) northwest of Kalamata, Zakynthos is easy to reach, although you need to take a ferry, so it’s important to check the schedule in advance (the service is much more active during the warmer months of the year). Most, but not all, ferry companies permit bringing a car on deck; you should also ask your rental car provider in advance to find out if they permit it.
- Corinth. Nea Corinthos, or the modern day Corinth, is built right next to the ancient Corinth, a city of once-great cultural and political importance. Many impressive sites have survived to this day, including the Peirene Fountain, the Temple of Apollo, and the Roman Odeon; you can also learn more about the history at the Ancient Corinth Archaeological Museum. Located 160 km (105 miles) northwest of Kalamata, Corinth can be reached in about 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- Athens. The capital and by far the largest city of Greece, Athens is home to many wonders of the ancient world like the Acropolis, the Theatre of Dionysus, and the Agora. But there are more contemporary delights to be found as well, including a bustling modern art scene, unique neighborhoods, fun performance venues, and great restaurants. Try to experience the best of both - you’re not to be disappointed. Located 240 km (150 miles) northwest of Kalamata, the capital can be reached in just under three hours.
Car Rental Prices in Kalamata
- Large cars - from $36 per day
- Medium cars - from $32 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $94 per day
- Small cars - from $24 per day
- SUVs - from $104 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Try these tips to land a great rental car in Kalamata:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Kalamata is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 66% cheaper than the yearly average and 75% cheaper than renting a vehicle in September.
Top 20 Cities near Kalamata
Athens Car Rentals from $20.30 per day171.7 km / 106.7 miles away
Heraklion Car Rentals from $8.33 per day342.1 km / 212.6 miles away
Corfu Car Rentals from $11.58 per day349.4 km / 217.1 miles away
Rhodes Car Rentals from $17.45 per day556.7 km / 345.9 miles away
Thessaloniki Car Rentals from $7.47 per day392.4 km / 243.8 miles away
Chania Car Rentals from $34.26 per day243.8 km / 151.5 miles away
Mykonos Car Rentals from $13.30 per day296.4 km / 184.2 miles away
Santorini Car Rentals from $13.59 per day316.6 km / 196.7 miles away
Zakynthos Car Rentals from $8.77 per day127.5 km / 79.2 miles away
Kos Car Rentals from $9.24 per day451.3 km / 280.4 miles away
Kefalonia Car Rentals from $9.48 per day178.1 km / 110.7 miles away
295.4 km / 183.6 miles away
Preveza Car Rentals from $8.80 per day238.2 km / 148.0 miles away
Samos Car Rentals from $11.82 per day419.1 km / 260.4 miles away
Paros Car Rentals from $13.59 per day275.4 km / 171.1 miles away
Piraeus Car Rentals from $23.99 per day172.7 km / 107.3 miles away
Skiathos Car Rentals from $9.45 per day267.8 km / 166.4 miles away
Milos Car Rentals from $27.45 per day222.0 km / 137.9 miles away
Faliraki Car Rentals from $62.42 per day555.0 km / 344.8 miles away
Ixia Car Rentals from $23.60 per day551.9 km / 342.9 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Kalamata
Kalamata Airport Car Rentals from $12.65 per day1.7 km / 1.0 miles away
Koroni Downtown Car Rentals from $39.31 per day29.5 km / 18.3 miles away
Grecotel Olympia Oasis Hotel Car Rentals from $33.67 per day120.6 km / 75.0 miles away
Kythira Airport Car Rentals from $25.00 per day123.4 km / 76.7 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $41.09 per day124.2 km / 77.2 miles away
Zakynthos Airport Car Rentals from $9.05 per day127.7 km / 79.3 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $10.86 per day127.7 km / 79.4 miles away
Zakynthos Hotel Delivery Car Rentals from $8.77 per day129.0 km / 80.2 miles away
Patras Airport Car Rentals from $22.45 per day133.2 km / 82.7 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $19.63 per day135.8 km / 84.4 miles away
Aegina Port Car Rentals from $36.70 per day145.2 km / 90.2 miles away
Aegina Downtown Car Rentals from $36.70 per day145.3 km / 90.3 miles away
Athens Port Car Rentals from $20.30 per day172.0 km / 106.9 miles away
Piraeus Port Car Rentals from $23.99 per day173.0 km / 107.5 miles away
Kefalonia Airport Car Rentals from $9.48 per day179.7 km / 111.7 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $8.45 per day180.7 km / 112.3 miles away
Agios Panteleimonas Car Rentals from $11.33 per day182.6 km / 113.4 miles away
Athens Airport Car Rentals from $6.31 per day195.0 km / 121.1 miles away
Meganisi Vathi Port Car Rentals from $757.93 per day210.1 km / 130.5 miles away
Kea Port Car Rentals from $47.82 per day212.3 km / 131.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Kalamata?
What’s the usual rental length in Kalamata?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Kalamata?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|GreenMotion||VW Up||5||1||Small cars|
|Autounion||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Autounion||Citroen C1||4||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Toyota Aygo||3||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Suzuki Celerio||4||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Autounion||Toyota Yaris||4||1||Small cars|
|Autounion||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Citroen C3||4||3||Medium cars|
|Surprice||Citroen C1||5||1||Small cars|