Car Rental at Sofia Airport
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Airport Car Rental
The capital city might not be Bulgaria’s number one travel destination — that title belongs to Varna and the rest of the Black Sea coast -— but it offers plenty of fun if you scratch beneath the surface. Independent, historic, and cultured, it can also be used as a hub from which you can explore the northeast of the country. With that in mind, here are a few interesting attractions in and around Sofia:
- National Museum of History. Appropriately monumental, the National History Museum is among both the largest and most interesting in Bulgaria. Occupying what used to be the residence of Bulgaria’s former communist dictator, the museum has more than 600,000 pieces of all things Bulgarian and covers everything from the country’s Hellenic and Roman-influenced past to more recent eras.
- Churches. Bulgarians are overwhelmingly Eastern Orthodox, a fact exemplified by the many beautiful churches that can be found in the capital. The most famous among them is indubitably Alexander Nevsky Cathedral (if you’ve ever seen a tourist video from Sofia, it almost definitely was featured in it), but the UNESCO-recognized Boyana Church and the 1,600-year-old Saint George Rotunda are also not to be missed.
- Rila National Park. The most visited natural landmark near Sofia is definitely Mount Vitosha which is located just a 20-minute drive south of the city center. However, if you’re looking for a wilder, less crowded experience, you can’t do much better than visit Rila National Park. Located a 90-minute drive south of the capital, this beautiful nature preserve is centered around seven highland lakes and is famous for its diverse flora and fauna. The most notable attractions are the Seven Rila Lakes and Rila Monastery.
- Vitosha Boulevard. Sofia's main pedestrian street is full of high-end stores, street performers, and cute cafes and restaurants. About 2.7 km (1.7 miles) long, it is named after the stunning nearby mountain, the snowy cap of which can be seen from the boulevard.
- National Opera and Ballet of Bulgaria. Located in one of the mightiest buildings in the city (the neoclassical structure celebrated its 70th birthday in 2023), the National Opera and Ballet is, according to some, the leading cultural institution in all of Bulgaria. Even if you don’t speak Bulgarian, catching a show during your visit would be a memorable experience.
Top international routes
Most popular types of rental car
Car rental desks
Avis, Budget, Easy, Alamo, Firefly, Hertz, Sixt, Surprice and Thrifty have desks only in Terminal 2
AUTOJET has a desk only in Terminal 1
All of the other rental companies except for Prestige offer a meet a greet service at the airport. That is, a representative of the company will meet you at the airport and take you to their rental office.
Prestige offers a delivery service, that is, they will deliver the car to the airport for you.
Services and facilities
Nearest gas station
Others coming from the south of the city and returning a car to one of the terminals will find an OMV station along Alexander Malinov Blvd just north of the intersection with Andrey Saharov Street the most convenient. After this station, the road becomes highway-like with no further entrances prior to reaching the airport.
Those coming from the south and returning a car to off-airport locations could exit onto Christopher Columbus Blvd. to reach a Shell station and then continue along that road to the off-airport rental locations.
Popular one-way rentals
- Burgas (381km / 236 miles)
- Varna (440km / 273 miles)
- Plovdiv (144km / 89 miles)
- Bucharest (355km / 220 miles)
- Golden Sands(456km / 283 miles)
- Sunny Beach (406km / 252 miles)
- Belgrade (395km / 245 miles)
- Thessaloniki (293 km / 182 miles)
- Istanbul (550 km / 341 miles)
Sofia Airport (SOF)
- IATA: SOF
- ICAO: LBSF
- Name: Sofia Airport (SOF)
- Distance from city: 6.2 miles / 10 km
Top 5 Locations near Sofia Airport
6.9 km / 4.3 miles away
Car Rental in Sofia (Downtown) from $15.29 per day7.3 km / 4.5 miles away
Car Rental at Plovdiv Airport from $20.00 per day137.6 km / 85.5 miles away
Car Rental at Burgas Airport from $14.38 per day336.4 km / 209.0 miles away
Car Rental at Varna Airport from $8.31 per day364.4 km / 226.4 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices the lowest at Sofia Airport?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
For how long do renters keep their vehicles at Sofia Airport?
What is the most popular time of year to rent a car at Sofia Airport?
Car Rental Information
|Popular suppliers||Top Rent A Car, CarRent, Low Cost Cars, GreenMotion, Fly Rent A Car|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Vans|
|Lowest price||$8 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||Yes Rent A Car|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Top Rent A Car||Hyundai i20||5||1||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||Citroen C3||5||1||Small cars|
|Fly Rent A Car||Volkswagen Polo||5||2||Small cars|
|Low Cost Cars||Dacia Sandero||5||1||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||Opel Mokka||5||2||SUVs|
|Fly Rent A Car||Volkswagen Golf||5||3||Medium cars|
|Low Cost Cars||Renault Clio Grandtour||5||2||Station wagons|
|GreenMotion||Citroen C3||4||2||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||Ford Custom Tourneo||5||2||Vans|
|Autounion||Volkswagen Up||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.