Car Rental in Zakynthos
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Zakynthos?
Zakynthos is a great place to explore by car. Different from most of the other Greek Islands and unique in heritage, it has everything from long beaches to ancient sites and spectacular natural areas. Public transportation on the islands is limited and infrequent, so getting a rental car is your best bet to see it all.
One-Way Car Rentals in Zakynthos
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Zakynthos and drop off in another city include:
- From Zakynthos to Athens - 43 offers from US$ 41.30 per day
Top ways to enter Zakynthos
- Zakynthos Airport: Also known as Dionysios Solomos Airport in honor of a Greek poet who hailed from the island, Zakynthos Airport handles nearly 2 million travelers every year. Like many other Greek airports, it is especially active during the summer months when nearly 40 different airlines fly to and from the island, including low-cost carriers like Wizz Air, Ryanair, Vueling, and easyJet. Located only 5km (3 miles) southeast of Zakynthos city center, the airport can be reached in about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on traffic.
- By ferry: It is also possible to fly to another international airport in Greece and then take a ferry to Zakynthos. Some airports near Zakynthos include Kefalonia Airport, Patras Airport, Kalamata Airport, Preveza Airport, and Ioannina Airport. It might be possible to pick up a rental car at the airport and then take it on a ferry to Zakynthos, but you should first ask your rental car provider if they permit it. You can also pick up a rental car at Zakynthos Airport after arriving. It’s also important to look up the ferry schedule in advance - the services are much more frequent during the spring and summer months.
Useful city facts
- Like much of the rest of Greece, Zakynthos enjoys a warm and mild Mediterranean climate. The average temperature is 31°C (87°F) in July and August, the warmest months of the year, and 14°C (58°F) in January and February, the coldest months. Precipitation is quite high from October to March but extremely low from May to August.
- Inhabited since prehistory, Zakynthos was mentioned in both the Iliad and the Odyssey, the two epics of Homer. Zakynthos has been ruled by many civilizations, each of them having left an influence on the island’s culture. Unlike most of the rest of Greece, Zakynthos was, for a time, a part of the Republic of Venice, and this heritage can still be noticed in the island’s architecture and cuisine.
Top destinations and activities
- Zakynthos Town. Located on the east coast, the island’s largest city is the main entry point for those visiting Zakynthos and also its most active and upbeat place. With many restaurants, taverns, museums, and galleries that are mainly centered around the town’s piazza or main square, Zakynthos Town has something for everyone. With some of the best hotels on the island located here, it can serve as a great base from which to explore the rest of Zakynthos.
- Laganas. Something of Greece’s response of Ibiza, the resort town of Laganas is one of the busiest party spots not only on Zakynthos, but in the whole region. A picturesque place, it is home to many bars, nightclubs, and concert venues frequented by electronic music DJs from all over Europe. If crazy parties is not exactly your thing but you’d still like to enjoy the beautiful nature, head to nearby Kalamaki which is much quieter and more relaxed.
- Navagio. Also known as Shipwreck Beach, Navagio is a small cape on the northern part of Zakynthos that is most famous for the wreck of MV Panagiotis, a smuggler’s ship that crashed and washed ashore here nearly 40 years ago. Combine a visit here to the nearby Agios Gergio Kremnao monastery in the nearby hills. An interesting place in its own right, it also offers amazing views of the beach and shipwreck below.
Traffic and parking tips
- There are no highways on Zakynthos (nor on any other Greek islands).
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 90 km/h (55.9 mph) on roads outside populated areas and 50 km/h (31 mph) in populated and built-up areas.
- Many gas stations might be closed during the weekends and public holidays.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to steep fines and a license ban. Exceeding the limit of 0.08% is a criminal offense and can lead to up to two years of imprisonment.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112. The police number is 100, the ambulance number is 166, and the fire brigade number is 199.
- There are no toll roads in Zakynthos. There are a number of toll roads, tunnels, and bridges on the Greek mainland. Many travelers find them very hard to navigate and some choose to avoid using the toll roads altogether because of the very complex system that is in place. Different toll roads are administered by different private companies and so there is not a single, nationwide (or even region-wide) system in place.
- For most toll roads, payment can be either made with cash at a toll gate, by credit card, or with coins at an automatic toll machine. For some roads, an electronic transponder might be used to pay for using the toll road. Some rental cars might be equipped with such an electronic transponder. However, because of the aforementioned different systems that are in place, this payment method might work for some toll roads but not for others. Plan your route in advance and ask your car rental provider about the best way to pay for the toll roads that you plan to use.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Cape Skinari. Sitting on the very northern edge of Zakynthos, Cape Skinari is one of the most famous tourist destinations on the island thanks to its magnificent panoramic views of the sea both to the west and to the east of the cape. If you’re visiting during the summer months, chances are you might join a Greek wedding party as they take place frequently in this beautiful place. Cape Skinari is located 35km (22 miles) from Zakynthos Town, a trip that can be done in about one hour.
- The Blue Caves. Stunning geological formations filled with bright blue water, the Blue Caves are truly impressive places to visit. They are located on different parts of the island and you’ll need a boat to reach them. Most of the departure points can be reached by car, such as the Agios Nikolaos Port that is about a 45-minute drive north of Zakynthos Town.
- The beaches. Although Zakynthos has many attractions, the number one of which is its long, beautiful sea coast. There are plenty of beaches to choose from too - Agios Nikolaos Beach is fun and busy, and also has opportunities for different water sports, calm Xehoriati Beach and its rocky reefs offer great snorkeling locations, and Alikes Beach is stony but has many great beach restaurants.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Zakynthos is the Fiat Panda, followed by the Fiat 500 and the Nissan Micra. The most popular rental car type is a mini, although many travelers also pick economy and compact vehicles.
- Kefalonia. Also known as Cefalonia, the beautiful Ionian island is one of Zakynthos’ closest neighbors. Despite its small size, you’ll find not only beaches, but other natural attractions as well, such as the Melissani Lake, the Drogarati Caves, and the picturesque Paliki Mountain chain. The two islands are linked by a ferry service, though it’s a good idea to look up the schedule in advance as the service is much more active during the summer months. On Zakynthos, the ferry departs from Agios Nikolaos Port. If you’d like to take your rental car on a ferry, first make sure your rental car provider permits it.
- Peloponnese. This large peninsula is the part of the mainland Greece that’s the closest to Zakynthos. Mentioned in many Greek myths, it remains one of the most traditional areas of the country. Highlights include sites such as Ancient Corinth, the Acropolis of Mycenae, and the Apollo Temple, as well as a rugged coastline with picturesque towns like Nafplio. The Peloponnese can be reached by ferry, but if you’d like to take a rental car on it, first make sure your rental car provider permits it. Alternatively, you can drop off one rental car in Zakynthos and pick up a new one in places like Patras, Kalamata, Argos, or Nafplio.
- Olympia. Located in the southern part of Peloponnese not far from Zakynthos, Ancient Olympia is a place where the first Olympic Games took place in 776 BC. It was not only a venue for sports, but also an important religious complex dedicated to Zeus. The ruins of many monuments are still standing. From Zakynthos, you can take a ferry to Kyllini; from there, Olympia is about an hour’s drive southeast. If your rental car provider doesn’t permit bringing a car on a ferry, you can drop off one rental car in Zakynthos and pick up a new one in Kyllini.
Car Rental Prices in Zakynthos
- Large cars - from $24 per day
- Medium cars - from $22 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $197 per day
- Small cars - from $18 per day
- SUVs - from $49 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Follow these tips and land a great rental car in Zakynthos:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Zakynthos is the cheapest in September when renting a car is an entire 75% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Zakynthos
Heraklion Car Rentals from $7.03 per day468.1 km / 290.8 miles away
Athens Car Rentals from $4.28 per day269.5 km / 167.5 miles away
Corfu Car Rentals from $10.12 per day222.5 km / 138.2 miles away
Rhodes Car Rentals from $7.42 per day656.0 km / 407.6 miles away
Chania Car Rentals from $8.44 per day381.8 km / 237.2 miles away
Thessaloniki Car Rentals from $4.83 per day356.6 km / 221.6 miles away
Mykonos Car Rentals from $13.79 per day394.8 km / 245.3 miles away
Santorini Car Rentals from $12.89 per day434.4 km / 269.9 miles away
402.1 km / 249.9 miles away
Kefalonia Car Rentals from $12.89 per day53.1 km / 33.0 miles away
Kos Car Rentals from $5.85 per day559.4 km / 347.6 miles away
Paros Car Rentals from $12.89 per day383.8 km / 238.5 miles away
Preveza Car Rentals from $5.98 per day131.0 km / 81.4 miles away
Skiathos Car Rentals from $16.17 per day277.8 km / 172.6 miles away
Kalamata Car Rentals from $11.13 per day126.2 km / 78.4 miles away
Piraeus Car Rentals from $10.27 per day243.0 km / 151.0 miles away
614.5 km / 381.8 miles away
Samos Car Rentals from $12.89 per day530.1 km / 329.4 miles away
Kavala Car Rentals from $9.02 per day476.4 km / 296.1 miles away
Syros Car Rentals from $14.60 per day358.3 km / 222.6 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Zakynthos
Zakynthos Airport Car Rentals from $7.71 per day0.6 km / 0.4 miles away
Zakynthos Hotel Delivery Car Rentals from $9.05 per day3.4 km / 2.1 miles away
Grecotel Olympia Oasis Hotel Car Rentals from $34.74 per day22.5 km / 14.0 miles away
Kefalonia Airport Car Rentals from $12.89 per day52.9 km / 32.9 miles away
Patras Airport Car Rentals from $32.82 per day64.5 km / 40.1 miles away
Meganisi Vathi Port Car Rentals from $19.05 per day101.5 km / 63.0 miles away
Kalamata Airport Car Rentals from $11.13 per day126.2 km / 78.4 miles away
Preveza Aktion Airport (Lefkada) Car Rentals from $5.98 per day130.6 km / 81.1 miles away
Igoumenitsa Hotel delivery Car Rentals from $13.03 per day201.1 km / 125.0 miles away
Ioannina Airport Car Rentals from $9.14 per day215.9 km / 134.2 miles away
Corfu Airport Car Rentals from $10.12 per day222.1 km / 138.0 miles away
Aegina Port Car Rentals from $24.67 per day223.4 km / 138.8 miles away
Corfu Hotel Delivery Car Rentals from $13.17 per day224.1 km / 139.3 miles away
Corfu Port Car Rentals from $10.62 per day224.6 km / 139.6 miles away
Corfu Cruise Terminal Car Rentals from $39.87 per day225.0 km / 139.8 miles away
Volos Airport Car Rentals from $18.64 per day232.5 km / 144.5 miles away
Barbati Village Car Rentals from $39.87 per day235.4 km / 146.2 miles away
Nissaki Village Car Rentals from $39.87 per day235.5 km / 146.3 miles away
Athens Port Car Rentals from $19.23 per day242.1 km / 150.4 miles away
Piraeus Port Car Rentals from $10.27 per day242.6 km / 150.8 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Zakynthos?
What’s the usual rental length in Zakynthos?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Zakynthos?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|AddCar||Opel Corsa||5||2||Small cars|
|AddCar||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Suzuki Celerio||5||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Up||5||1||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Fiat Panda||5||2||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Hyundai i10||4||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Opel Astra||5||2||Medium cars|
|RightCars||VW Up||5||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Peugeot 108||4||1||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Suzuki Swift||4||2||Small cars|