Car Rental in Preveza
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Preveza?
Preveza is a fun city to visit. Although less known than Athens, Thessaloniki, or the many Greek islands, it offers plenty of things to see and do. The city has a wealth of ancient sites, eclectic architecture, and stunning Ionian Sea beaches. Preveza’s location ensures that from here, you can easily explore the rest of Greece’s Western coast.
Top ways to enter Preveza
- Preveza Airport: Also known as Preveza-Aktion, the airport is especially active during the summer months when about 95% of all yearly flights take place. However, the service to the nearby Ionian Islands of Kefalonia, Corfu, and Sitia is active year-round. Located just 7km (4.3 miles) south of Preveza, the airport can be reached in about 10-15 minutes.
- Ioannina Airport: One of the smallest international airports in Greece, Ioannina-King Pyrrhus Airport is also one of the fastest-growing ones. It served about 110,000 travelers in 2018, a 15% increase from the year before. The airport specializes in connections with Scandinavia. Located 105km (65 miles) northeast of Preveza, the airport can be reached in about 90 minutes.
- Patras Airport: Another small and cozy airport, Patras is only active during the summer months. Served by a number of low-cost and charter companies, it offers flights to such varied destinations as Austria, Latvia, Armenia, Ukraine, and Germany. Located 210km (130 miles) south of Preveza, the airport can be reached in 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- Kefalonia Airport: Also known as Anna Pollatou Airport after a Greek gymnast who hailed from this island, Kefalonia Airport handled 760,000 travelers in 2018. Served mainly by low-cost carriers such as Volotea, Vueling, and Norwegian Air, it offers flights to more than 10 different European countries.
- Corfu Ioannis Kapodistrias Airport: With 3.3 million travelers served in 2018, Corfu Airport is the fifth-busiest in Greece and the busiest in the Ionian Islands. Like other Greek airports, it is especially active during the summer months when more than 30 different airlines fly to and from Corfu.
A note: It is possible to travel to Preveza by flying to Corfu, Kefalonia, Zakynthos, or another airport in the Ionian Islands and then taking a ferry to the Greek mainland. Do keep in mind, though, that many car rental providers do not permit taking a rental car on the boat. A better idea could be to take a ferry as a passenger and then pick up a rental car after arriving in Preveza.
- Located on the coast of the Ambracian Gulf, Preveza has a pleasant climate with long, hot summers and mild winters. The average high temperature is 26°C (79°F) in August, the warmest month, and 8°C (46°F) in February. Precipitation is quite high from October to March, but there’s practically no rain in July and August.
- Preveza is about 7km (4 miles) south of Nicopolis, the capital of the historic Roman province of Epirus. Founded in the 1st century BC, it was an important historic center of trade, religion, and philosophy. Although the city’s importance declined after the 8th century and the rise of neighboring Preveza, its ruins remain among the most impressive in Northwestern Greece and are accessible to any traveler visiting the region. You can learn more about it by visiting the Archaeological Museum of Nikopolis in Preveza.
Top destinations and activities
- The castles. There are three famous castles in and around Preveza: Agios Andreas Castle, Agios Georgios Castle, and Pantokratoras Castle. Each of them is unique and worth visiting, but the latter of them is the one that especially stands out. Built in the shape of a pentagon, Pantokratoras Castle and Bastion are right on the coast and offer truly amazing views of the Ionian Sea at sunset.
- Venetian clock tower. Built in 1792 when Preveza was part of the Venetian Empire, the clock tower is one of the symbols of the city. Located in the historic city center, it is close to a number of other important landmarks in the city. The area is also popular as the place with the best seafood restaurants in Preveza.
- Beaches. Preveza is a beach destination and there’s plenty of beaches to choose from. Alonaki Beach, with its golden sands and many beach restaurants, is hip and busy, Kiani Akti Beach is calm and located right on the edge of the forest, and Pantokratoras Beach offers great opportunities for snorkelling and doing other water sports. All these three beaches are located in Preveza, but with a rental car, you can also travel up or down the coast to find even more secluded and special coastal spots.
Traffic and parking
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 90km/h (55.9 mph) on roads outside populated areas and 50km/h (31 mph) in populated and built-up areas.
- While the larger roads are in good shape, some of the smaller, rural roads might have poor surfacing and potholes. Be careful when driving on them, especially after dark.
- Many gas stations might be closed during weekends and public holidays.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to high fines and a licence ban. Exceeding the limit of 0.08% is a criminal offence and can lead to up to two years of imprisonment.
- Proof of insurance and car documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112. The police number is 100, the ambulance number is 166, and the fire brigade number is 199.
There are a number of toll roads, tunnels, and bridges on mainland Greece. Many travelers find them very hard to navigate and some choose to avoid using the toll roads altogether because of the very complex toll system that is in place. Different toll roads are administered by different private companies and so there is not a single, nationwide (or even region-wide) system in place.
For most toll roads, payment can be either made with cash at a toll gate, by credit card, or with coins at an automatic toll machine. For some roads, an electronic transponder might be used to pay for using the toll road. Some rental cars may be equipped with such an electronic transponder. However, because of the aforementioned different toll systems that are in place, this payment method might work for some toll roads, but not for others. Determine out your route in advance and ask your car rental provider about the best way to pay for all the toll roads that you plan to use.
Ideas for day trips
- Amvrakikos Wetlands National Park. Built around a local monastery which administers parts of the park, Amvrakikos is one of the most interesting nature areas in Western Greece. A large wetlands area that for a long time suffered from human activity, there have recently been a number of conversation efforts to return it to its original state. The national park is home to such bird species as the Dalmatian pelican, ferruginous duck, and great cormorant. Located 52km (32 miles) northeast of Preveza, Amvrakikos can be reached in about 45 minutes.
- Ancient Elatreia. Also known as Elatria and Elateia, the Ancient Greek settlement was built almost 2,500 years ago. Nowadays, its ruins and remains are open to visitors who can observe some of the remaining buildings and structures as well as ancient sculptures, tools, and other objects. About 30km (18 miles) north of Preveza, the site can be reached in about 30 minutes.
- Arta. Like other cities in the region, Arta has many Hellenistic monuments and ruins like the temple of Apollo and an ancient Greek theater. But Arta is also famous for its many beautiful churches from the Byzantine era. some of the standouts are the Church of Parigoritissa that’s more than 700 years old and the Monastery of Saint Theodora. Located 49km (30 miles) northeast of Preveza, Arta can be reached in 40-45 minutes.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Preveza is the Hyundai i10, although many travelers also go for the Toyota Aygo and the Renault Clio. The most popular rental car types are mini, economy, and intermediate.
- Kefalonia. Thanks to its long and accessible coastline the island of Kefalonia has become an increasingly popular beach destination. Travelers come here to swim, enjoy the sun, and do water sports. But there’s even more to this island, from tiny inland villages to the beautiful Drogarati and Melissani caves. You can take a ferry from Preveza to Kefalonia, but ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it; if not, you can drop off one rental car in Preveza, take the ferry without a vehicle, and pick up a new car upon arriving on Kefalonia.
- The Peloponnese. The traditional heartland of Greece, The Peloponnese Peninsula is one of the most interesting Greek regions. It attracts visitors with a wealth of historical sites, impressive nature, and delicious local cuisine. Landmarks include Ancient Olympia, the coastal town of Nafplio, and Porto Kagio, a village that is considered to be the southernmost point of mainland Europe. Patras, the nearest large city of Peloponnese, is just 165km (102 miles) from Preveza and can be reached in 2 hours and 10 minutes. You can explore the rest of the region from there.
- National Park of Tzoumerka. Known for its waterfalls, gorges, and biodiversity, this inland national park is definitely worth the three hours that it takes to reach it from Preveza. Don’t miss out on the Kipina Monastery that’s dramatically hanging over a cliffside nor the stone-arch Plaka Bridge, the largest of its kind in all of Greece.
- Athens. A city like no other, the Greek capital is best known for the Parthenon and other Ancient Hellenic landmarks found in its area. But don’t miss out on the city center, either — over the last two decades, Athens has attempted to reinvent itself as a hub of contemporary art and entertainment. The drive from Preveza takes about four hours.
- Albania. Less discovered and more wild than Greece, Albania is influenced by their Greek, Italian, and Slavic neighbors, but has a unique culture of its own. The country’s attractions include a long, beautiful coastline known as the Albanian Riviera and stunning mountain scenery that’s unlike anywhere else in Europe. Sarande, the nearest Albanian city, is just 148km (92 miles) north of Preveza and can be reached in about 2 hours and 30 minutes. To go from Albania to Greece, you’ll have to cross an international border, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it. Many won’t, but if that’s the case, you can travel to Albania with a public transportation and pick up a new rental car after arriving. Also, make sure you don’t need a visa to visit Albania - unlike Greece, the country isn’t a member of the Schengen Area and the EU.
Car Rental Prices in Preveza
- Convertibles - from $22 per day
- Station wagons - from $15 per day
- Large cars - from $13 per day
- Medium cars - from $9 per day
- Vans - from $38 per day
- Small cars - from $8 per day
- SUVs - from $19 per day
Follow these tips to land a great rental car in Preveza:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting April is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 65% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 80% cheaper than renting a vehicle in July.
Top 20 Cities near Preveza
Lefkada Car Rentals from $11.37 per day11.2 km / 7.0 miles away
Parga Car Rentals from $18.04 per day50.9 km / 31.6 miles away
Ithaca Car Rentals from $37.50 per day62.6 km / 38.9 miles away
Igoumenitsa Car Rentals from $15.64 per day76.8 km / 47.7 miles away
Ioannina Car Rentals from $10.73 per day85.9 km / 53.4 miles away
Kefalonia Car Rentals from $7.12 per day92.5 km / 57.5 miles away
Patras Car Rentals from $12.03 per day103.5 km / 64.3 miles away
Corfu Car Rentals from $6.36 per day105.2 km / 65.4 miles away
Kyllini Car Rentals from $23.38 per day114.8 km / 71.3 miles away
Zakynthos Car Rentals from $9.75 per day131.0 km / 81.4 miles away
Volos Car Rentals from $13.41 per day194.2 km / 120.7 miles away
Katerini Car Rentals from $26.72 per day212.4 km / 132.0 miles away
Kalamata Car Rentals from $9.44 per day234.2 km / 145.5 miles away
Skiathos Car Rentals from $17.19 per day238.1 km / 147.9 miles away
Chalkidiki Car Rentals from $19.85 per day254.3 km / 158.0 miles away
Skopelos Car Rentals from $17.78 per day257.1 km / 159.8 miles away
Thessaloniki Car Rentals from $4.83 per day258.8 km / 160.8 miles away
Alonissos Car Rentals from $17.78 per day268.8 km / 167.0 miles away
Piraeus Car Rentals from $7.12 per day273.8 km / 170.1 miles away
Athens Car Rentals from $3.74 per day297.9 km / 185.1 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Preveza
Preveza Airport Car Rentals from $7.83 per day
Downtown Car Rentals from $13.35 per day11.2 km / 7.0 miles away
Kefalonia Fiskardo Port Car Rentals from $7.33 per day54.1 km / 33.6 miles away
Kefalonia Argostoli Port Car Rentals from $20.25 per day85.6 km / 53.2 miles away
Ioannina Airport Car Rentals from $10.73 per day85.9 km / 53.4 miles away
Kefalonia Pessada Port Car Rentals from $8.23 per day92.2 km / 57.3 miles away
Kefalonia Airport Car Rentals from $7.12 per day92.5 km / 57.5 miles away
Corfu Airport Car Rentals from $6.36 per day105.2 km / 65.4 miles away
Corfu Port Car Rentals from $14.34 per day107.1 km / 66.5 miles away
Corfu Cruise Terminal Car Rentals from $350.66 per day107.7 km / 66.9 miles away
Barbati Village Car Rentals from $350.66 per day117.1 km / 72.8 miles away
Zakynthos Airport Car Rentals from $9.75 per day131.0 km / 81.4 miles away
Volos Airport Car Rentals from $16.05 per day178.2 km / 110.7 miles away
Kalamata Airport Car Rentals from $9.44 per day234.2 km / 145.5 miles away
Skiathos Port Car Rentals from $17.19 per day236.8 km / 147.1 miles away
Skiathos Airport Car Rentals from $17.19 per day238.1 km / 147.9 miles away
Thessaloniki Airport Car Rentals from $4.83 per day258.8 km / 160.8 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $9.95 per day261.4 km / 162.4 miles away
Thessaloniki Port Car Rentals from $11.99 per day265.6 km / 165.0 miles away
Athens Port Car Rentals from $5.89 per day273.1 km / 169.7 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Preveza?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Preveza?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Preveza?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||2|
|Popular suppliers||Dirent a car Greece, AddCar, WheeGo, Yours Car Rental, Alma Car Hire|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Large cars|
|Lowest price||$8 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Dirent a car Greece||Peugeot 107||3||1||Small cars|
|Dirent a car Greece||Volkswagen Up||4||1||Small cars|
|Dirent a car Greece||Nissan Note||5||2||Medium cars|
|WheeGo||Renault Twingo||5||1||Small cars|
|Yours Car Rental||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Opel Corsa||4||1||Small cars|
|Dirent a car Greece||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|WheeGo||Skoda Fabia||5||2||Small cars|
|Dirent a car Greece||Seat Mii||5||1||Small cars|
|Alma Car Hire||Toyota Aygo||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.