Car Rental in Italy
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Italy?
Italy is a great destination to visit by car. It is home to great cities, world-famous culture, distinct regions, and natural beauty. Having your own ride will give you a chance to visit both the north and the south, as well as the capital Rome that is in the middle.
This article is about Mainland Italy. For information about Sicily, see the article of Sicily. For information about Sardinia, see the article of Sardinia.
If you want to know more about renting a car in Italy, don't miss our complete guide.
One-way Car Rentals in Italy
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Italy and drop off in another country:
- From Italy to Sicily - 2466 offers from ₩ 21498.94 per day
- From Italy to Sardinia - 298 offers from ₩ 33699.21 per day
- From Italy to Switzerland - 18 offers from ₩ 164865.67 per day
- From Italy to Spain - 27 offers from ₩ 207917.53 per day
- From Italy to France - 27 offers from ₩ 162517.39 per day
Top ways to enter Italy
- Milan Malpensa Airport: Serving the large Northern Italian city of Milan, Malpensa Airport handled 28 million travelers in 2019. The airport is served by more than 40 airlines offering flights to and from destinations all over the world. Other airports in the Milan area include Bergamo Airport and Linate Airport.
- Rome Fiumicino Airport: Also known as Leonardo Da Vinci Airport, Rome-Fiumicino is the busiest airport in the country, having served more than 43 million passengers in 2019. Meanwhile, the other airport in the Rome area, Ciampino Airport, focuses exclusively on low-cost airlines.
- Naples Airport: Serving the multi-million metropolis of Southern Italy, Naples Airport has flights by more than 30 airlines, including low-cost carriers like Volotea, easyJet, and Ryanair.
- Venice Airport: Serving not just the famous floating city, but the larger Northeastern Italian region, Venice Airport handled about 12 million travelers in 2019. It is also called Marco Polo Airport after the famous traveler who hailed from the city.
- Overland: If your rental car provider permits, it’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Italy. Some large international airports near Italy are Nice Airport in France, Zurich Airport in Switzerland, and Ljubljana Airport in Slovenia.
Top cities and places to visit
- Rome: Full of traces of its ancient grandeur, Rome is a great history, culture, and culinary destination.
- Venice: One of the most unique cities in Europe, Venice is full of wonderful art and architecture, and also provides access to the wider Veneto region in the Italy’s northeast.
- Tuscany: From countless arts and culture monuments in Florence to vineyards and classical farmer villages, Tuscany is the picture that most people have in mind when they think of Italy.
- Naples and Campania: Proud yet hospitable, Campania is a place of ancient sites and delicious cuisine, as well as beautiful Naples and Pompeii.
- The South: Showing traces of its Greek heritage and independent nature, Southern Italy is very different from north in atmosphere, and offers mountain villages, wild nature, and coasts of three different seas.
Most popular rental car
Travelers most often choose the Fiat Panda, while the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500 are also popular.
Driver license requirements
- Italy recognizes foreign driver’s licenses if they are written in a Latin alphabet and if you’re visiting on a trip that’s shorter than six months. If you’re visiting on a longer trip or if you’re a permanent resident of Italy, you need to acquire a local driver’s license.
- If your driver’s license is in another alphabet (e.g., Cyrillic or Arabic), you need to have an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Even if you have an IDP, you still need to also provide your valid driver’s license from your country
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking.
Italy is bordered by France, Switzerland, Austria, and Slovenia, as well as San Marino and the Vatican City, two enclaves inside it. Like Italy, France, Switzerland, Austria, and Slovenia are all members of the Schengen Area, meaning that three entry requirements for these four countries are the same as for Italy. The microstates of San Marino and Vatican City are not members of the Schengen Area, but their entry requirements are the same as those for Italy.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Mainland Italy is an Economy, followed by Mini and Compact.
Top driving routes
- Rome - Florence (271 km / 168 mi) The drive from the Italian capital into the heart of Tuscany will take you through some of the most picturesque Italian countryside, especially if you set aside time for detours through villages.
- Milan - Venice (266 km / 165 mi) Milan might be near the Alps, but in just three hours you can reach Venice on the Adriatic Coast.
- Naples - Bari (257 km / 160 mi) Going between these two large southern cities, you’ll cross all of the Italian peninsula from east to west (or vice versa).
Car Rental Prices
- Convertibles - from $140 per day
- Station wagons - from $204 per day
- Large cars - from $216 per day
- Medium cars - from $157 per day
- Vans - from $272 per day
- Premium cars - from $296 per day
- Small cars - from $122 per day
- SUVs - from $218 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Italy:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. Visiting Mainland Italy during the low season might be at least two times cheaper than coming here during the high season of tourism.
Top 19 Most Popular Cities in Italy
Car Rental in Rome from $48.54 per day
Car Rental in Milan from $39.94 per day
Car Rental in Naples from $101.81 per day
Car Rental in Bari from $80.41 per day
Car Rental in Florence from $127.32 per day
Car Rental in Bergamo from $18.72 per day
Car Rental in Venice from $101.56 per day
Car Rental in Bologna from $64.32 per day
Car Rental in Verona from $93.36 per day
Car Rental in Brindisi from $59.81 per day
Car Rental in Turin from $120.63 per day
Car Rental in Pisa from $142.52 per day
Car Rental in Lamezia Terme from $62.02 per day
Car Rental in Genoa from $92.65 per day
Car Rental in Mestre Venice from $143.83 per day
Car Rental in Treviso from $93.84 per day
Car Rental in Bolzano from $111.02 per day
Car Rental in Trieste from $70.09 per day
Top 19 Most Popular Locations in Italy
Car Rental at Rome Airport Fiumicino from $57.57 per day
Car Rental at Milan Airport Malpensa from $55.82 per day
Car Rental at Rome Airport Ciampino from $48.04 per day
Car Rental at Naples Airport from $57.62 per day
Car Rental at Rome Termini Train Station from $72.45 per day
Car Rental at Rome Tiburtina Train station from $103.22 per day
Car Rental at Bergamo Airport from $51.96 per day
Car Rental at Milan Linate Airport from $66.18 per day
Car Rental at Bari Airport from $80.41 per day
Car Rental at Florence Airport from $71.67 per day
Car Rental at Venice Airport from $55.82 per day
Car Rental at Brindisi Airport from $59.81 per day
Car Rental at Pisa Airport from $64.68 per day
Car Rental at Lamezia Terme Airport from $62.02 per day
Car Rental at Bologna Airport from $64.32 per day
Car Rental at Venice Mestre Train Station from $101.56 per day
Car Rental at Verona Airport from $53.99 per day
Car Rental at Mestre Train Station from $143.83 per day
Car Rental at Treviso Airport from $93.84 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Italy?
What’s the average rental length in Italy?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Italy?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Sicily By Car||Opel Karl||4||2||Small cars|
|Leasys||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Ecovia||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|Leasys||Fiat 500L||5||2||Medium cars|
|Maggiore||Lancia Ypsilon||5||1||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Fiat 500X||5||3||Medium cars|
|Target Rent||Fiat Panda||2||1||Small cars|
|Brent||Fiat 500||3||2||Small cars|
|Brent||Toyota Aygo||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.