Car Rental Verona
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Verona?
Verona is a fascinating city to explore. Its pleasures lie just as much in its splendid architecture and grand history as in its narrow side streets and many hidden gems. Its great location means that it is near the Adriatic Coast, Lake Garda, many other famous Italian cities, and even three fascinating neighboring countries, all destinations that you can visit with a rental car.
Top ways to enter Verona
- Verona Airport. Small, yet cozy and active, Verona Villafranca Airport serves more than 3 million travelers every year. There are plenty of flights to and from domestic destinations, cities in other European countries, and even airports in Africa and the Middle East. Verona Airport is 10km (6.2 miles) southwest of Verona.
- Bergamo Airport. Also known as Orio al Serio and Il Caravaggio, this airport is experiencing steady growth. In 2018, it served nearly 13 million travelers, a figure that it is expected to surpass in 2019. Bergamo Airport is just a little more than an hour’s drive west of Verona.
- Venice Marco Polo Airport. Named after the famous Venetian traveler, the fourth-busiest airport in Italy is served by old established airlines and low-cost carriers alike. Venice Airport is less than two hour’s drive east of Verona.
- Treviso Airport. This small airport that’s also in the province of Veneto is a large base for the low-cost carrier Ryanair which has flights to and from Germany, France, the Netherlands, Poland, and many other countries. Treviso Airport is about a 2-hour drive east of Verona.
- Milan Malpensa Airport. The second-busiest in Italy and among the 25 largest in Europe, Milan Malpensa serves countless daily flights to destinations in Italy, the rest of Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Americas. Modern and traveler-friendly, Malpensa Airport is just a two-hour drive west of Verona.
- By rail. If you arrive in Verona by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Verona Porta Nuova station.
Useful city facts
- Verona enjoys a humid subtropical climate with warm summers and mild winters. The average temperature is 29.2°C (84.6°F) in July and 6.1°C (43°F) in January. The precipitation is spread rather evenly between the seasons, with the period from March to May being slightly more rainy than the rest of the year.
- Like many other Italian cities, Verona boasts a long and fascinating history. First established in the 2nd century BC, it has been ruled by ancient Romans, Byzantines, Lombards, Venetians, and others. All of these groups have influenced the city’s appearance and traditions.
Top destinations and activities
- Arena. The impressive Roman amphitheater was built in the 1st century A.D. and despite suffering from a major earthquake in the 12th century, it remains one of the city’s main attractions to this day. Nowadays it sometimes hosts grand opera performances and the concerts of world-famous musicians like Pink Floyd, Leonard Cohen, and others.
- Basilica of San Zeno. Devoted to a 4th-century fisherman who became the Bishop (and later the patron saint) of Verona, the basilica was first built in the 9th century. Damaged and destroyed by invaders a number of times, it was always successfully renovated turning into a symbol of the resilience of the Veronese. The basilica and the Benedictine abbey located next to it still house the shrine of Zeno’s tomb as well as a smiling statue of the man himself.
- Castelvecchio. A fortified castle first built nearly 700 years ago, nowadays Castelvecchio houses the Verona City Art Museum. With an impressive collection of paintings, sculptures, and other artworks by medieval and Renaissance masters, the museum provides an insight into the city’s impressive history.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Like in many other historic Italian cities, the traffic is limited in the historic center of Verona (the area is called the limited traffic zone or ZTL). As a visitor of the city, you are only be allowed to drive your rental car inside ZTL if your hotel is be located within the area. If that is the case, you have to ask your hotel about this and they’ll register your vehicle’s plate number with the local police and will provide you a designated parking area within the ZTL. Driving inside the ZTL without the special permit will lead to high fines. If unsure about which parts of Verona are inside ZTL or if you have any other questions regarding this topic, please ask your rental car provider for more information.
- Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. When it is raining, the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during periods of heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- Proof insurance and the car’s documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of choice and the type of vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Venice. Although the sinking city obviously deserves a much longer visit than just a day trip, the fact that it is just a 90-minute drive east of Verona means you can still see it if you’re in a rush. Park your car near the center of Venice on the mainland and go admire the Doge’s Palace and the Clock Tower, roam through the narrow side streets to discover small cafeterias and art galleries, or travel to picturesque nearby islands like Murano.
- Lake Garda. The famous lake that is one of the favorite vacation places of Northern Italians is less than an hour’s drive from Verona. With a rental car, you can easily travel around it visiting towns like Torbole and Gargnano, enjoying the panoramic views from Monte Baldo or finding special spots and adventures of your own.
- Milan. Much more than just a business and fashion metropolis, Milan is a city that’s full of surprises. The historic center with the Duomo Cathedral and the Teatro alla Scala opera house is splendid. Its impressive museums cover not only art but also topics like archaeology and natural science. The parks on the southern side of the city are the perfect place to unwind from the hustle and bustle of the city. Milan is just a two-hour drive west of Verona.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car type in Verona is the mini, although many travelers also choose economy and compact vehicles. The most popular rental car is the Peugeot 108, followed by the Opel Corsa and the Fiat 500.
- Bologna. Historic, rebellious, and most importantly, delicious, Bologna is one of the most underrated cities of Northern Italy. While the Bolognese cuisine is the number one reason to come here because it’s so great, Bologna is also an upbeat university city with many events and festivals and some of the greatest bar and party culture in the country. From Verona, it’s only about a two-hour drive south.
- Switzerland. Southern Switzerland - the Italian-speaking part of the country - is one of the most picturesque regions of Europe. The mountain scenery is breathtaking. Towns like Locarno and Bellinzona look like they’re from fairy tales, and Lake Maggiore is just as scenic as Lake Garda. Lugano, the region’s capital, is just a 2-hour-and-30-minute drive northwest of Verona. Keep in mind that you’d be crossing an international border, so first, make sure your rental car provider allows it.
- Slovenia. With plenty of forests, mountains, valleys, a fun capital in Ljubljana and picturesque towns like Bled, it’s understandable why Slovenia is one of the up-and-coming travel destinations of Europe. Influenced by neighboring Hungarians, Austrians, and Italians, its unique culture is not to be missed. The Italian-Slovenian border is only about a three-hour drive east of Verona. Keep in mind that you’d be crossing an international border, so first, make sure your rental car provider permits it.
Car Rental Prices in Verona
- Station wagons - from $210 per day
- Large cars - from $176 per day
- Medium cars - from $89 per day
- Premium cars - from $141 per day
- Small cars - from $51 per day
- SUVs - from $173 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Keep in mind these simple tips when booking a rental car for Verona:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Verona is the cheapest in December when renting a car is about 43% cheaper than the yearly average and an entire 55% cheaper than booking a car in May. Come visit Verona in winter; it’s just as historic and charming!
Top 20 Cities near Verona
Milan Car Rentals from $55.17 per day170.3 km / 105.8 miles away
Rome Car Rentals from $25.51 per day422.8 km / 262.7 miles away
Naples Car Rentals from $26.41 per day572.3 km / 355.6 miles away
Bergamo Car Rentals from $35.56 per day97.3 km / 60.5 miles away
Venice Car Rentals from $41.44 per day114.8 km / 71.3 miles away
Turin Car Rentals from $32.41 per day254.2 km / 158.0 miles away
Bologna Car Rentals from $26.41 per day100.7 km / 62.6 miles away
Bari Car Rentals from $18.58 per day670.8 km / 416.8 miles away
Pisa Car Rentals from $23.51 per day194.4 km / 120.8 miles away
Florence Car Rentals from $18.67 per day178.1 km / 110.7 miles away
Brindisi Car Rentals from $20.27 per day778.4 km / 483.7 miles away
Lamezia Terme Car Rentals from $21.67 per day845.5 km / 525.4 miles away
Genoa Car Rentals from $17.96 per day195.0 km / 121.2 miles away
Treviso Car Rentals from $29.27 per day105.5 km / 65.6 miles away
Pescara Car Rentals from $24.50 per day422.0 km / 262.2 miles away
Rimini Car Rentals from $20.14 per day204.8 km / 127.2 miles away
Ancona Car Rentals from $24.50 per day278.6 km / 173.1 miles away
Perugia Car Rentals from $29.63 per day286.6 km / 178.1 miles away
Trieste Car Rentals from $19.10 per day206.6 km / 128.4 miles away
Reggio di Calabria Car Rentals from $21.68 per day904.9 km / 562.3 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Verona
Verona, Downtown Car Rentals from $66.99 per day
Verona Train Station Car Rentals from $11.58 per day
Verona Airport Car Rentals from $38.13 per day8.2 km / 5.1 miles away
San Bonifacio Downtown Car Rentals from $14.15 per day24.2 km / 15.0 miles away
Brescia Train Station Car Rentals from $28.92 per day61.1 km / 38.0 miles away
Padua Train Station Car Rentals from $40.86 per day70.1 km / 43.6 miles away
Modena Dworzec kolejowy Car Rentals from $16.13 per day86.2 km / 53.6 miles away
Treviso Airport Car Rentals from $29.27 per day97.5 km / 60.6 miles away
Bologna Airport Car Rentals from $26.41 per day102.2 km / 63.5 miles away
Bergamo Airport Car Rentals from $35.56 per day103.2 km / 64.1 miles away
Venice Mestre Train Station Car Rentals from $21.83 per day104.5 km / 64.9 miles away
Bologna Train Station Car Rentals from $25.27 per day106.6 km / 66.2 miles away
Venice Airport Car Rentals from $41.44 per day107.1 km / 66.6 miles away
Bolzano Airport Car Rentals from $18.46 per day117.7 km / 73.1 miles away
Bolzano Train Station Car Rentals from $79.80 per day122.2 km / 75.9 miles away
Milan Linate Airport Car Rentals from $29.27 per day133.1 km / 82.7 miles away
Milan Airport Malpensa Car Rentals from $55.17 per day177.0 km / 110.0 miles away
Florence Airport Car Rentals from $18.67 per day180.9 km / 112.4 miles away
Trieste Airport Car Rentals from $19.10 per day198.6 km / 123.4 miles away
Pisa Airport Car Rentals from $23.51 per day199.6 km / 124.0 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Verona?
What’s the usual rental length in Verona?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Verona?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Global Rent a Car||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Renault Clio||4||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Ford Focus 5d||5||2||Medium cars|
|Ecovia||Fiat Panda||2||1||Small cars|
|Target Rent||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Interrent||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Optimo Rent||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Optimo Rent||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Target Rent||Fiat Panda||2||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 20 Suppliers for Verona in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.6 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email