Car Rental in Florence
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Florence?
Florence is a great destination to visit by car. Not only one of the most beautiful cities in Italy (and indeed, Europe), it also serves as a great base for exploring the surrounding Tuscany region of which it is a capital.
One-Way Car Rentals in Florence
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Florence and drop off in another city include:
- From Florence to Rome - 441 offers from lei 89.42 per day
- From Florence to Pisa - 219 offers from lei 89.42 per day
- From Florence to Catania - 147 offers from lei 89.42 per day
- From Florence to Naples - 137 offers from lei 89.42 per day
- From Florence to Bologna - 194 offers from lei 89.42 per day
Top ways to enter Florence
- Florence Airport: Located near city center, Florence Airport serves such varied European destinations as Spain, the United Kingdom, Albania, Moldova, and many others.
- Pisa Airport: Just a bit more than an hour’s drive from Florence and popular with low-cost carriers, flying to nearby Pisa Airport is another great way to reach Florence.
- Bologna Airport: An hour and a half’s drive north of Florence, Bologna Airport is one of the largest and busiest in Italy.
- Livorno Port: Around an hour and a half's drive west of Florence, Livorno Port also has car rental facilities. Ferries from Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, and Barcelona arrive at the port.
Useful city facts
- The capital of Tuscany province, Florence has more than 1,500,000 inhabitants living in its metropolitan area.
- The hottest months in Florence are July and August when the average temperature reaches around 25 °C (77 °F), although it can get much warmer during the day. The coldest months are December and January when the average temperature is about 6.5 °C (44 °F).
Top destinations and activities
- Uffizi Gallery. First established in the 16th Century, the Uffizi Gallery is perhaps the most important renaissance art museum in the world. The nearby Bargello Museum with its sculptures by Michelangelo, Donatello, and others is also very much worth a visit.
- Palazzo Vecchio. Once a city hall, this impressive palace is an architectural monument and a home of art exhibitions. It is also famous for the replica of Michelangelo's "David" that’s placed right outside it, in the original location of the statue.
- Boboli Gardens. The visitors to this green area that’s next to Pitti Palace can observe both interesting sculptures and great views of the rest of Florence.
- Piazza del Duomo. Often called one of the most visited places in Italy, the Cathedral Square is the beating heart of Florence. Much of the city’s magnificent history can be read from the square’s buildings. These include the Cathedral itself, an Italian Gothic architectural masterpiece that is the third-largest church in the world, as well as Giotto’s Tower and the Museum of the Works of the Cathedral.
- Bargello. Another impressive art museum, the Bargello is located in a 13th-century building that served as a prison and barracks until the 19th century. Dedicated to the art of sculpture, the museum has a collection that includes the important works of many famous Renaissance artists — not just Michelangelo, but also Donatello, Giambologna, and many more.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of a vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Pisa. The main attraction of this nearby Tuscan city is, of course, its leaning tower, but it offers so much more in architecture, arts, and cuisine.
- Tuscany countryside. For many visitors, a trip to Chianti wineries is a highlight of their Italian travels. The surrounding farmers villages are just idyllic.
- Perugia. About 2 hours drive south of Florence and the capital of the Umbria Region, this medieval city often gets overlooked because of its more fabled neighbors, but is a great place to visit because of its underground labyrinths, historic landmarks, and youthful atmosphere.
- La Spezia. Just a two hour drive from Florence, La Spezia is beuatiful city on the coast. The Cinque Terre National Park is also nearby.
- Arezzo. Just over an hours drive south of Florence lies Arezzo, a former Etruscan town. it is home to a lovely old town dereft of crowds. It also hosts an interesting antique market in the main square once a month.
- Viareggio. About an hour drive west of Florence on the coast is Viareggio. This small town is home to one of the most famous Carnival celebrartions in Europe. It also hosts beach resorts and old walls which have a bike trail on top of them.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Italy is the Fiat Panda, followed by the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Northern Italy. Cities like Milan, Ravenna, Venice and others each warrant travel to Italy in their own right, but if you’re already in Florence, all of them are just a couple of hours drive north.
- Rome. Italy’s timeless capital can be explored for weeks, and its contemporary arts scene and amazing cuisine can very nearly rival its countless historic landmark.
- Southern Italy. Different in atmosphere, Southern Italy’s impressive nature and hospitable locals are just a couple of reasons why some travelers like it even more than the north.
Car Rental Prices in Florence
- Station wagons - from $286 per day
- Large cars - from $220 per day
- Medium cars - from $180 per day
- Vans - from $347 per day
- Premium cars - from $196 per day
- Small cars - from $123 per day
- SUVs - from $244 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are things you can do to get a good rental deal in Florence:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Florence is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 44% cheaper than the yearly average and a whopping 60% cheaper than renting a car in June.
Top 19 Cities near Florence
Milan Car Rentals from $50.56 per day239.8 km / 149.0 miles away
Rome Car Rentals from $49.71 per day235.7 km / 146.4 miles away
Naples Car Rentals from $119.18 per day411.5 km / 255.7 miles away
Bari Car Rentals from $85.67 per day541.7 km / 336.6 miles away
Bergamo Car Rentals from $63.35 per day243.4 km / 151.2 miles away
Bologna Car Rentals from $61.62 per day82.8 km / 51.4 miles away
202.4 km / 125.8 miles away
Pisa Car Rentals from $119.18 per day52.4 km / 32.6 miles away
Verona Car Rentals from $61.54 per day180.2 km / 112.0 miles away
Brindisi Car Rentals from $26.74 per day654.0 km / 406.4 miles away
Turin Car Rentals from $79.70 per day316.2 km / 196.5 miles away
Lamezia Terme Car Rentals from $40.86 per day685.9 km / 426.2 miles away
Mestre Venice Car Rentals from $109.61 per day204.2 km / 126.9 miles away
Treviso Car Rentals from $63.88 per day220.2 km / 136.8 miles away
Genoa Car Rentals from $58.32 per day202.6 km / 125.9 miles away
Bolzano Car Rentals from $73.73 per day300.9 km / 187.0 miles away
Pescara Car Rentals from $44.16 per day283.8 km / 176.4 miles away
Trieste Car Rentals from $39.36 per day287.5 km / 178.7 miles away
Perugia Car Rentals from $79.70 per day120.0 km / 74.6 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Florence
Firenze Novoli Car Rentals from $145.82 per day0.5 km / 0.3 miles away
Firenze Peretola Car Rentals from $89.75 per day2.0 km / 1.3 miles away
Florence Airport Car Rentals from $68.16 per day2.4 km / 1.5 miles away
Firenze Railway Station Car Rentals from $92.89 per day2.6 km / 1.6 miles away
Firenze Porta al Prato Car Rentals from $119.18 per day2.7 km / 1.7 miles away
Firenze Via Borgognissanti Car Rentals from $142.97 per day2.9 km / 1.8 miles away
Florence Santa Croce Car Rentals from $107.22 per day4.4 km / 2.7 miles away
Florence Capalle Car Rentals from $111.20 per day8.7 km / 5.4 miles away
Pisa Ponsacco Car Rentals from $119.18 per day52.4 km / 32.6 miles away
Pisa Airport Car Rentals from $74.10 per day67.8 km / 42.1 miles away
Livorno Port Car Rentals from $124.79 per day78.9 km / 49.0 miles away
Bologna Casteldebole Car Rentals from $81.37 per day79.3 km / 49.3 miles away
Bologna Giardino Giovanni Amendola Car Rentals from $135.05 per day79.7 km / 49.5 miles away
Bologna Train Station Car Rentals from $65.57 per day79.8 km / 49.6 miles away
Bologna Borgo Panigale Car Rentals from $109.61 per day80.5 km / 50.0 miles away
Bologna Airport Car Rentals from $61.62 per day82.8 km / 51.4 miles away
Bologna Bargellino Car Rentals from $77.56 per day83.6 km / 51.9 miles away
Bologna Funo Car Rentals from $123.90 per day88.7 km / 55.1 miles away
Modena Dworzec kolejowy Car Rentals from $10.91 per day98.6 km / 61.3 miles away
Ravenna Fornace Zarattini Car Rentals from $123.90 per day101.0 km / 62.8 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Florence?
What’s the usual rental length in Florence?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Florence?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Sicily By Car||Opel Karl||4||2||Small cars|
|Leasys||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Maggiore||Lancia Ypsilon||5||1||Small cars|
|Ecovia||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|Noleggiare||Peugeot 108||5||2||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Fiat 500X||5||3||Medium cars|
|Noleggiare||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|Autovia||Kia Picanto||3||1||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Renault Zoe||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.