Car Rental in Bologna
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Bologna?
Bologna is a great place to explore by car. The city is the capital of the Emilia-Romagna region and is located in the heart of northern Italy. It is a fascinating destination in its own right, and it’s in close proximity to many other interesting destinations.
One-Way Car Rentals in Bologna
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Bologna and drop off in another city include:
- From Bologna to Pisa - 296 offers from $19.10 per day
- From Bologna to Rome - 358 offers from $19.10 per day
- From Bologna to Milan - 270 offers from $20.80 per day
- From Bologna to Naples - 152 offers from $21.35 per day
- From Bologna to Venice - 167 offers from $19.10 per day
Top ways to enter Bologna
- Bologna Airport (BLQ): Seventh busiest in Italy, Bologna’s Airport is popular with both high-end airlines and low-cost carriers.
- Florence Airport (FLR): About an hour-and-a-half drive from Bologna, Florence Airport is served by low-cost airline Vueling, as well as many other airlines that connect it to destinations around Italy and Europe.
- Venice Airport (VCE): Less than a two-hour drive north, Venice’s Marco Polo Airport is another convenient place to fly to if your final destination is Bologna.
- By Train: If you’re arriving in Bologna by train, you can pick up a rental car at the Bologna Centrale train station.
- A city of culture and education, Bologna is home to University of Bologna, the oldest university in the world.
- Bologna has about 390,000 inhabitants, but a tad more than 1 million people live in its wider metropolitan area.
- The city is a foodie destination for Italians and visitors from abroad.
Top destinations and activities
- National Picture Gallery. Exhibiting the best of Venetian and Emilia-Romagna art, this gallery has world-famous works by Giotto, Raffaello, Parmigianino, and many others.
- The Bolognese Cuisine. Calling yourself the food capital is a mighty claim in Italy, but Bologna can back it up. Many Bolognese residents claim that leaving without trying their cured meats and cheeses, lasagna, and stuffed tortellini pasta amounts to a crime.
- Towers of Bologna. Many of the city’s original towers are no longer standing, but more than 20 remain, including the central Due Torri or Two Towers that are over 900 years old. You can climb the tallest of the two, the Asinelli Tower.
- San Petronio. The first stone of this basilica was laid in the 14th century, but it has remained unfinished to this day – that hasn’t stopped it from becoming one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture in Italy though. The church has a truly impressive collection of religious art, and a unique indoor sundial.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The speed limit on the Autostrada (toll road) is 130 km/h, reduced to 110 km/h if it’s raining. The speed limit on highways ranges from 90-110 km/h.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your driver’s license and International Driving Permit (if required for you)passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines. and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
- It’s easiest to park outside the city walls and walk or take public transport or a taxi into the historic center. Blue lines are pay parking.
- Be careful not to enter the ZTL (zona traffico limitato - limited traffic zone) if you don’t have permission.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of a vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for day trips
- Modena and Parma. Foodies will delight in two other culinary destinations in the Emilia-Romagna region, each with a beautiful historic center. Modena is home to balsamic vinegar, and can be reached from Bologna in less than an hour. Parma is home to parmigiano Reggiano cheese and prosciutto di Parma and can be reached from Bologna in about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Ferrara. Another neighbor, Ferrara is about an hour’s drive to the northeast of Bologna. Yet to be discovered en masse by tourists, the city has anauthentic atmosphere and there are no crowds at its landmarks that include the stunning Este Castle, the ancient frescoes of Schifanoia Castle, and the rotunda of the Claudio Abbado Theater.
- Casentinesi, Monte Falterona, and Campigna Forest National Park. The region of Emilia-Romagna is one of the most urbanized parts of Italy but has found a place for this scenic nature preserve. Characterized by beech and oak woodlands, deep valleys, and ancient monasteries, it has all the right ingredients for an enjoyable day outdoors. The drive from Bologna takes about two hours.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental cars in Italy are the Fiat Panda, the Ford Fiesta, and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Florence. As famous and interesting as Bologna is, Florence is a place every visitor should consider a side trip to. The wealth of culture, art, and history in the Renaissance capital will blow away even the most seasoned travelers. The drive from Bologna takes only about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- San Marino. One of the smallest countries on the planet, San Marino is completely surrounded by Italy. Reasons to visit include its picturesque fortresses, elevated landscape, and beautiful vineyards. Despite its small size, San Marino claims to be the oldest republic in the world. The drive from Bologna takes about two hours.
- Venice. A destination like no other, the floating city is another world-famous destination that’s within a two-hour drive of Bologna. Landmarks like Doge’s Palace and the St. Mark’s Basilica are not to be overlooked, but if you have time, make sure to also check out the surrounding islands that offer even more character and atmosphere than the busy center.
- Italian Car Museums. Racecar and Formula 1 fans should head into Italy’s ‘Motor Valley’ to see some of Italy’s car factories and museums, including those of Ferrari and Lamborghini, both less than an hour from Bologna.
Car Rental Prices in Bologna
- Station wagons - from $40 per day
- Large cars - from $29 per day
- Medium cars - from $13 per day
- Vans - from $136 per day
- Premium cars - from $131 per day
- Small cars - from $12 per day
- SUVs - from $16 per day
There are many things you can do to get a good rental deal in Bologna:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during low seasons - outside of summer months and major holidays (like Easter, Ferragosto, Christmas).
- Explore pickup locations. A nearby town that’s reached easily by train may have a better rate.
- Don’t rent a car for time you’ll spend in cities. It will just sit in a parking lot or garage (and you’ll need to pay for parking!).
- Look into renting ‘open jaw’ - pick up your car in one destination and drop it off in another. While you will likely need to pay a supplement for your car rental, you’ll save money on gas and tolls and you’ll save precious vacation time!
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Bologna is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 60% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Bologna
Modena Car Rentals from $58.50 per day33.3 km / 20.7 miles away
Forli Car Rentals from $54.69 per day72.8 km / 45.2 miles away
Florence Car Rentals from $19.12 per day80.9 km / 50.3 miles away
Parma Car Rentals from $48.42 per day83.0 km / 51.6 miles away
Lucca Car Rentals from $36.00 per day98.5 km / 61.2 miles away
Verona Car Rentals from $13.83 per day100.7 km / 62.6 miles away
Padua Car Rentals from $26.39 per day108.6 km / 67.5 miles away
Vicenza Car Rentals from $71.33 per day113.1 km / 70.3 miles away
Pisa Car Rentals from $11.60 per day118.7 km / 73.8 miles away
Rimini Car Rentals from $42.90 per day119.9 km / 74.5 miles away
La Spezia Car Rentals from $44.78 per day123.9 km / 77.0 miles away
Arezzo Car Rentals from $35.30 per day127.0 km / 78.9 miles away
Livorno Car Rentals from $36.00 per day134.4 km / 83.5 miles away
Siena Car Rentals from $35.30 per day136.3 km / 84.7 miles away
Venice Car Rentals from $12.75 per day136.4 km / 84.8 miles away
Brescia Car Rentals from $29.02 per day139.4 km / 86.6 miles away
Treviso Car Rentals from $24.17 per day142.7 km / 88.7 miles away
Pesaro Car Rentals from $31.85 per day145.7 km / 90.5 miles away
Lodi Car Rentals from $89.16 per day165.2 km / 102.7 miles away
Trento Car Rentals from $21.65 per day171.4 km / 106.5 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Bologna
Bologna Airport Car Rentals from $12.36 per day
Bologna Train Station Car Rentals from $18.73 per day5.5 km / 3.4 miles away
Florence Airport Car Rentals from $19.12 per day80.9 km / 50.3 miles away
Parma North Car Rentals from $113.74 per day81.9 km / 50.9 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $24.72 per day84.8 km / 52.7 miles away
Verona Airport Car Rentals from $16.62 per day100.7 km / 62.6 miles away
Pisa Airport Car Rentals from $11.60 per day118.7 km / 73.8 miles away
Rimini Airport Car Rentals from $48.90 per day119.9 km / 74.5 miles away
Venice Mestre Train Station Car Rentals from $35.09 per day128.9 km / 80.1 miles away
Livorno Port Car Rentals from $45.19 per day135.0 km / 83.9 miles away
Venice Airport Car Rentals from $12.75 per day136.4 km / 84.8 miles away
Treviso Airport Car Rentals from $24.17 per day142.7 km / 88.7 miles away
Bergamo Airport Car Rentals from $12.48 per day177.4 km / 110.2 miles away
Chiusi Train Station Car Rentals from $47.91 per day178.7 km / 111.0 miles away
Milan Linate Airport Car Rentals from $10.73 per day187.8 km / 116.7 miles away
Perugia Airport Car Rentals from $29.59 per day187.8 km / 116.7 miles away
Milan Viale Umbria Car Rentals from $71.87 per day192.4 km / 119.6 miles away
Ancona Airport Car Rentals from $21.32 per day194.6 km / 120.9 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $34.82 per day194.7 km / 121.0 miles away
Milan Duomo Car Rentals from $42.38 per day194.9 km / 121.1 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Bologna?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Bologna?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Bologna?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||9|
|Popular suppliers||RentalPlus, Drivalia, Noleggiare, Felirent, Sicily By Car|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Large cars|
|Lowest price||$12 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|RentalPlus||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|RentalPlus||Fiat Panda||5||1||Medium cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500L||5||2||Medium cars|
|RentSmart24||Fiat 500||2||1||Small cars|
|RentalPlus||Toyota Yaris||5||1||Medium cars|
|Felirent||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|RentalPlus||Fiat 500X||5||3||Medium cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.