Car Rental in Bergamo
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Bergamo?
Bergamo is a great place for renting a car. Historic and cozy, it is also close to the Alps, many other famous Italian cities, and the Adriatic Sea which you can all easily reach if you have your own wheels.
One-Way Car Rentals in Bergamo
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Bergamo and drop off in another city include:
- From Bergamo to Milan - 257 offers from $10.47 per day
- From Bergamo to Rome - 248 offers from $10.47 per day
- From Bergamo to Treviso - 112 offers from $20.46 per day
- From Bergamo to Naples - 111 offers from $20.46 per day
- From Bergamo to Venice - 123 offers from $20.46 per day
Top ways to enter Bergamo
- Bergamo Airport: Located just 6 km (3.6 mi) from the city center, Bergamo Airport is served by more than 30 airlines. It sometimes also called Orio al Serio Airport and Il Caravaggio Airport.
- Milan Linate Airport: Located about 50 km (31 mi) from Bergamo and the one closest to Milan, Linate Airport is a hub for Alitalia and is also served by many other airlines like British Airways, Lufthansa, and KLM.
- Milan Malpensa Airport: Second busiest in Italy, Malpensa Airport is by far the largest one in the Lombardy region. Driving from there to Bergamo takes about 90 minutes.
- The average temperature in Bergamo is 22.8 °C (73 °F) in July and 2.7 °C (36.9 °F) in January. Due to its rather high elevation, the city quite often experiences snow in winter.
- Bergamo is built on the site of Bergomum, an ancient town built by Cenomani, a Celtic tribe. The city has been part of many different domains like the Roman Empire, the Ostrogothic Kingdom, the Republic of Venice and many others.
Top destinations and activities
- Santa Maria Maggiore. One of the most notable churches of Bergamo’s Città Alta, or Upper Town, this basilica was built in medieval times and took several centuries to finish, and it has been one of the most recognizable landmarks of the city ever since. Make sure to see it from the inside as well because, curiously, the church has a Romanesque exterior but a Baroque interior.
- Accademia Carrara. Both a place of learning and a gallery, the Carrara Academy is one of Bergamo’s most notable art centers. Established in the 18th century, it boasts works by many famous masters and has recently also hosted exhibitions of Velasquez, Caravaggio, and Tiziano. Visit the gallery’s English language website to learn more. Unlike most of Bergamo’s landmarks, the academy is in the Lower Town.
- The Venetian Walls. Having kept the Upper City safe for hundreds of years, the construction of the walls that enclose it dates back to the Venetian rule of Bergamo in the 16th century. Nowadays, the walls have been recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of a vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for day trips
- Milan. Bergamo’s much larger neighbor is the capital of Lombardy and one of Europe’s most famous cities. Roaming its streets, interacting with locals, and eating in small side-street restaurants is just as fun as seeing incredible architecture like the Duomo or visiting the city’s many museums. The drive from Bergamo takes only about an hour.
- Lake Garda. Slightly less than an hour and a half drive east of Bergamo, Lago di Garda is located on the foothills of the Dolomite Mountains and is considered one of the most picturesque lakes in Europe. Many a lovely lakeside town can be found on its nearest western shore, and the area is also worth visiting during the winter months as it is located near several winter sports resorts.
- Valtellina Orobie Alps Regional Park. Also known as Bergamo Alps Park, this wilderness area is one of the most popular day trips from the city. Made up of snow-capped peaks, highland lakes, and even glaciers, it is a biodiversity hub and provides a home to such varied species as western capercaillies, alpine ibexes, and grey wolves. The drive from Bergamo takes only about 70 minutes.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Italy is the Fiat Panda, although travelers also like the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500. The most often picked rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Venice. The famous sinking city comprised of 118 islands and countless canals could be explored for weeks. Most of historic Venice cannot be accessed by car, so it’s a good idea to find a parking space in advance, or make sure you’ll be provided one by your accommodation. The drive from Bergamo takes slightly over two hours, and on your way east, you’ll cross other historical gems like Verona and Padua.
- Florence. When it comes to history, architecture, and art, there are very few places that can compete with Florence. Better yet, this splendid city is the capital of Tuscany and can be used as a hub for exploring the rest of that bucolic region. The drive from Bergamo to Florence takes about four hours.
- Switzerland. Just an hour’s drive north of Bergamo, Switzerland's beautiful, Italian-speaking Ticino region offers fascinating cities like Lugano and Locarno, stunning landscapes, and food that’s as delicious as on the other side of the border. From here, you can continue to explore the rest of Switzerland. Note that if you’re coming from Bergamo to Switzerland, you’ll have to cross an international border, so check with your car rental supplier first to make sure they allow it.
Car Rental Prices in Bergamo
- Station wagons - from $122 per day
- Large cars - from $70 per day
- Medium cars - from $56 per day
- Vans - from $296 per day
- Premium cars - from $237 per day
- Small cars - from $26 per day
- SUVs - from $65 per day
Follow these tips to get a good rental car deal in in Bergamo:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Bergamo is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 47% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Bergamo
Rome Car Rentals from $19.31 per day476.6 km / 296.1 miles away
Milan Car Rentals from $52.78 per day50.1 km / 31.1 miles away
Naples Car Rentals from $21.33 per day650.4 km / 404.1 miles away
204.7 km / 127.2 miles away
Bari Car Rentals from $18.90 per day765.5 km / 475.7 miles away
Florence Car Rentals from $12.14 per day243.8 km / 151.5 miles away
Bologna Car Rentals from $3.97 per day177.4 km / 110.3 miles away
175.0 km / 108.7 miles away
225.3 km / 140.0 miles away
Verona Car Rentals from $6.89 per day97.3 km / 60.5 miles away
Lamezia Terme Car Rentals from $17.96 per day923.4 km / 573.8 miles away
871.3 km / 541.4 miles away
Treviso Car Rentals from $9.59 per day193.5 km / 120.3 miles away
Genoa Car Rentals from $9.72 per day155.8 km / 96.8 miles away
Bolzano Car Rentals from $36.46 per day157.0 km / 97.5 miles away
507.3 km / 315.2 miles away
Salerno Car Rentals from $9.71 per day691.0 km / 429.3 miles away
Perugia Car Rentals from $53.67 per day356.7 km / 221.7 miles away
Padua Car Rentals from $10.24 per day171.8 km / 106.7 miles away
Trieste Car Rentals from $20.61 per day316.1 km / 196.4 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Bergamo
Bergamo Airport Car Rentals from $4.23 per day3.4 km / 2.1 miles away
Milan Via Conte Suardi Car Rentals from $99.81 per day35.2 km / 21.9 miles away
Milan Novegro Car Rentals from $60.93 per day38.1 km / 23.7 miles away
Milan Airport Linate Car Rentals from $4.79 per day39.7 km / 24.7 miles away
Milan Viale Umbria Car Rentals from $29.86 per day42.8 km / 26.6 miles away
Milan Duomo Car Rentals from $25.93 per day44.1 km / 27.4 miles away
Milan Via Canonica Car Rentals from $34.89 per day44.2 km / 27.5 miles away
Milan Morivione Car Rentals from $29.86 per day45.7 km / 28.4 miles away
Milan Lorenteggio Car Rentals from $31.44 per day48.1 km / 29.9 miles away
Pavia East Car Rentals from $110.07 per day66.6 km / 41.4 miles away
Milan Airport Malpensa Car Rentals from $2.65 per day72.8 km / 45.2 miles away
Verona Airport Car Rentals from $6.89 per day100.6 km / 62.5 miles away
Mantova Mottella Downotwn Car Rentals from $43.84 per day108.0 km / 67.1 miles away
Mantova Valdaro Car Rentals from $48.36 per day110.5 km / 68.7 miles away
Trento Borgo Valsugana Car Rentals from $40.76 per day144.9 km / 90.1 miles away
Vicenza Railway Station Car Rentals from $20.61 per day147.0 km / 91.3 miles away
Bolzano Airport Car Rentals from $11.61 per day155.0 km / 96.3 miles away
Genoa Airport Car Rentals from $9.72 per day155.0 km / 96.3 miles away
Bolzano Train Station Car Rentals from $36.46 per day159.3 km / 99.0 miles away
Turin Airport Car Rentals from $6.63 per day165.8 km / 103.0 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Bergamo?
What’s the usual rental length in Bergamo?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Bergamo?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Sicily By Car||Opel Karl||4||2||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500L||5||2||Medium cars|
|Ecovia||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|Target Rent||Fiat Panda||2||1||Small cars|
|Target Rent||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Surprice||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.