Car Rental Venice
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Venice?
Venice is a great place to explore by car. The city’s historic center and most of the landmarks can only be visited on foot, but having your own ride will still be useful to explore the city’s mainland Mestre area and to visit other nearby cities and sites.
Top ways to enter Venice
- Venice Airport: Located just 8 km (4.9 mi) of the city center, Venice Marco Polo is the fourth busiest airport in Italy.
- Verona Airport: Small, cozy, and less than 90 minutes drive from Venice, Verona Airport is especially active during the summer months.
- Treviso Airport: Just 40 minutes drive north of Venice, Treviso Airport is popular with many low-cost carriers.
- By sea or rail: If you’re arriving in Venice by ferry, you can conveniently pick up your rental car the Port of Venice. If you’re arriving by train, you can pick up your rental car at the Venice Mestre Railway Station.
Useful city facts
- The municipality of Venice is divided into six boroughs. The history city borough that has most of Venice’s landmarks is further divided into six areas.
- Venice experiences pleasantly warm summers, with sea water temperature sometimes exceeding 25 °C (77 °F) in July and August. The average air temperature in January, the coldest month, is 3.3 °C (37.9 °F).
Top destinations and activities
- Piazza San Marco. Venice’s most famous area has landmarks like Saint Mark’s Basilica, St Mark’s Bell Tower, and Doge’s Palace. Try getting here early in the morning to avoid the large crowds.
- The Jewish Quarter. Once the old Venice Jewish Ghetto, this unique neighborhood is still home to an active Jewish Community and five synagogues.
- Museums and galleries. The story of Venice is incomplete without its culture and history. Galleria dell'Accademia di Venezia, the Natural History Museum, and the Naval History Museum are just some of the places where you can learn more about it.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of a vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- The islands. Spend a day on of the nearby islands like Murano, Burano, or Lido. Artistic, relaxed, and each with a unique character, some people find them to be more “Venice” than Venice itself.
- Padua. Called Padova in Italian, this city just 40 km (25 mi) west of Venice has the Basilica of St. Anthony, the Scrovegni Chapel, and the oldest Botanical Gardens in the world.
- Verona. Home to Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, of course, but also to impressive architecture, ancient artefacts, and delicious cuisine, Verona is a great place to visit.
- Vicenza. Less than an hour from Venice, Vicenza is a UNESCO World Herritage site due to the architectural works of Andrea Palladio.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most often picked rental car in Italy are the Fiat Panda, although the Ford Fiesta, and the Fiat 500 are also very popular. The most often picked rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Slovenia, Croatia, or Austria. These three unique countries each make a worthy travel destination in their own right, but the fact that they can be reached by car in a matter of hours means they a great next destination after Venice. Note that to visit any of these three countries you’ll have to cross at least one national border, so first check with your rental car provider if they permit it.
- Tuscany. Picturesque, traditional and welcoming, Tuscany embodies Italy through and through, from cities like Pisa and Florence to famous Chianti wineries.
- Lombardy. From bustling Milan to Lake Como and the Alps, nearby Lombardy offers all the right reasons to go and explore it.
Car Rental Prices in Venice
- Station wagons - from $112 per day
- Large cars - from $80 per day
- Medium cars - from $52 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $159 per day
- Premium cars - from $149 per day
- Small cars - from $42 per day
- SUVs - from $90 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Here are some tips & tricks for getting a cheap rental car deal in Venice:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Venice is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 57% cheaper than the yearly average and almost unbelievable 79% cheaper than renting a car in April. Also on the plus side, even though the weather will be colder than in spring or summer, there will be significantly less other travelers in the city.
Top 20 Cities near Venice
Milan Car Rentals from $55.09 per day282.4 km / 175.5 miles away
Rome Car Rentals from $25.48 per day412.5 km / 256.3 miles away
Bergamo Car Rentals from $35.51 per day206.9 km / 128.5 miles away
Naples Car Rentals from $26.38 per day537.1 km / 333.7 miles away
Turin Car Rentals from $32.37 per day368.9 km / 229.3 miles away
Bologna Car Rentals from $26.38 per day136.4 km / 84.8 miles away
Bari Car Rentals from $18.55 per day602.4 km / 374.3 miles away
Pisa Car Rentals from $23.47 per day255.1 km / 158.5 miles away
Florence Car Rentals from $18.64 per day209.2 km / 130.0 miles away
Verona Car Rentals from $38.08 per day114.8 km / 71.3 miles away
Brindisi Car Rentals from $20.24 per day704.6 km / 437.8 miles away
Lamezia Terme Car Rentals from $21.64 per day800.5 km / 497.4 miles away
Treviso Car Rentals from $29.23 per day20.1 km / 12.5 miles away
Genoa Car Rentals from $17.93 per day302.0 km / 187.6 miles away
Pescara Car Rentals from $24.47 per day371.8 km / 231.0 miles away
Rimini Car Rentals from $20.11 per day166.4 km / 103.4 miles away
Ancona Car Rentals from $24.47 per day224.8 km / 139.7 miles away
Trieste Car Rentals from $19.07 per day94.1 km / 58.5 miles away
Perugia Car Rentals from $29.58 per day268.2 km / 166.7 miles away
Padua Car Rentals from $40.80 per day38.0 km / 23.6 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Venice
Venice Mestre Railway Station Car Rentals from $21.80 per day
Venice Airport Car Rentals from $41.38 per day7.5 km / 4.7 miles away
Treviso Airport Car Rentals from $29.23 per day25.1 km / 15.6 miles away
Padua Railway Station Car Rentals from $40.80 per day34.5 km / 21.4 miles away
San Bonifacio Downtown Car Rentals from $14.13 per day80.5 km / 50.0 miles away
Trieste Airport Car Rentals from $19.07 per day99.3 km / 61.7 miles away
Verona Railway Station Car Rentals from $11.56 per day104.5 km / 64.9 miles away
Verona Airport Car Rentals from $38.08 per day111.9 km / 69.5 miles away
Bologna Airport Car Rentals from $26.38 per day129.4 km / 80.4 miles away
Bologna Railway Station Car Rentals from $25.24 per day129.4 km / 80.4 miles away
Bolzano Airport Car Rentals from $18.43 per day136.9 km / 85.1 miles away
Bolzano Railway Station Car Rentals from $79.69 per day139.0 km / 86.4 miles away
Modena Dworzec kolejowy Car Rentals from $16.10 per day139.9 km / 86.9 miles away
Rimini Airport Car Rentals from $20.11 per day159.6 km / 99.2 miles away
Brescia Railway Station Car Rentals from $28.88 per day164.7 km / 102.3 miles away
Florence Airport Car Rentals from $18.64 per day201.7 km / 125.3 miles away
Bergamo Airport Car Rentals from $35.51 per day205.4 km / 127.6 miles away
Ancona Airport Car Rentals from $24.47 per day219.0 km / 136.1 miles away
Milan Linate Airport Car Rentals from $29.23 per day237.5 km / 147.6 miles away
Pisa Airport Car Rentals from $23.47 per day248.0 km / 154.1 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Venice?
What’s the usual rental length in Venice?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Venice?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Sicily By Car||Ford Fiesta||4||1||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Opel Crossland X||5||3||Medium cars|
|Ecovia||Fiat Panda||2||1||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Citroen Berlingo||5||3||Large cars|
|Optimo Rent||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Optimo Rent||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Ecovia||Fiat 500 L||5||1||Medium cars|
|JoyRent||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 20 Suppliers for Venice in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.6 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email