Car Rental in Rome
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Rome?
Rome is a great place for renting a car. Having your own ride will let you explore this large and varied city, as well as visit the rest of the Lazio Region with its beaches, cozy towns, and nature areas.
One-Way Car Rentals in Rome
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Rome and drop off in another city include:
- From Rome to Milan - 452 offers from $6.45 per day
- From Rome to Bergamo - 232 offers from $6.45 per day
- From Rome to Naples - 438 offers from $19.03 per day
- From Rome to Pisa - 295 offers from $6.45 per day
- From Rome to Bari - 314 offers from $19.03 per day
Top ways to enter Rome
- Rome Fiumicino Airport: One of the busiest in Europe, Fiumicino serves more than 40 million passengers every year and has connections to and from destinations in all parts of the world.
- Rome Ciampino Airport: Rome’s second airport is currently served by only two airlines, Ryanair and Wizz Air, but they offer flights to and from more than 40 different destinations.
- Naples Airport: Flying to the large and modern Naples Airport is another good way to reach Rome as it is only 225 km (140 mi) away.
- By rail: If you’re arriving in Rome by train, you can conveniently pick up a rental car at the Rome Termini Railway Station.
- The metropolitan population of Rome is more than 4,000,000 people, making it one of the largest capitals in Europe.
- The warmest month is Rome is August when the average temperature is 24.5 °C (76.1 °F). Even during the winter months the average temperature rarely drops below 5 °C (41 °F).
Top destinations and activities
- Colosseum. Perhaps the most famous landmark of the city, Colosseum is the symbol of the Ancient Rome. Other places of similar historic significance include ruins of the Flavian Palace, Pantheon, and the Baths of Caracalla.
- The basilicas. Rome has some of the most impressive religious buildings in the world, including the St. Peter’s Basilica, Santa Maria Maggiore, and San Giovanni.
- Vatican Museums. The Vatican City, an independent city-state completely surrounded by Rome, is one of the most popular attractions for visitors to the Eternal City. More than just a chance of catching a glimpse of the pope, the Holy See is also home to many fascinating museums. Attractions include the stunning Sistine Chapel and Raphael Rooms, but also the Vatican Historical Museum and Collection of Modern Religious Art.
- National Etruscan Museum. Predating even the Latin-speaking Ancient Romans, Etruscans were a mysterious and highly influential culture that inhabited early Rome. While not much is known about them — even their language has not been deciphered — they left behind a vast amount of fascinating art. Many of the vases, sarcophagi, and inscribed golden plates can now be seen in the Etruscan Museum located inside the beautiful Villa Giulia building.
- Galleria Borghese. Located just a stone’s throw away from the Etruscan Museum, the Borghese Gallery is one of the many impressive art spaces of Rome. The museum has an impressive collection of artworks, not least by such masters as Raphael, Titian, Caravaggio, and Rubens. If you crave something more challenging after taking in all the classical art, another nearby attraction is the National Gallery of Modern Art.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- The beach. Rome is not usually thought of as a beach destination, but the Tyrrhenian Sea is just about 24 km (15 mi) from the city center. Lido di Ostia is a fun and popular if occasionally overcrowded destination, and Santa Marinella further to the north and Anzio to the south offer good alternatives.
- Nature areas. The Marcigliana Nature Reserve is just east of the city, the Bracciano Martignano Nature Park is a bit further north, and even the mountainous and wild Monti Navegna and Cervia Nature Reserve can be reached in an hour and a half.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Italy is the Fiat Panda, but travelers also love the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car type is economy, followed by mini and compact.
For more about traveling around Italy with a rental car, check out our complete guide.
- Naples. Just a bit over two hours drive south, Naples is a stunning city that boasts history and cuisine that’s just as impressive as that of the capital city.
- Apulia and Calabria. Even further south than Naples, these two regions are yet to be fully discovered by international tourists but offer hospitality, beautiful scenery, and character in abundance.
- Sicily. Italy’s largest island is famous for its beautiful beaches and old cities like Palermo, but the inland areas are just impressive and can be explored for days and weeks.
Car Rental Prices in Rome
- Station wagons - from $195 per day
- Large cars - from $239 per day
- Medium cars - from $165 per day
- Vans - from $365 per day
- Premium cars - from $321 per day
- Small cars - from $121 per day
- SUVs - from $246 per day
There are many things you can do to get a good rental deal in Rome:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Rome is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 43% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Rome
479.6 km / 298.0 miles away
Naples Car Rentals from $136.18 per day186.7 km / 116.0 miles away
Bergamo Car Rentals from $53.07 per day476.6 km / 296.1 miles away
Venice Car Rentals from $33.93 per day396.6 km / 246.4 miles away
238.8 km / 148.4 miles away
Turin Car Rentals from $123.23 per day525.3 km / 326.4 miles away
Bologna Car Rentals from $65.70 per day310.5 km / 192.9 miles away
Bari Car Rentals from $129.00 per day372.7 km / 231.6 miles away
Verona Car Rentals from $55.15 per day411.2 km / 255.5 miles away
Pisa Car Rentals from $145.59 per day246.8 km / 153.4 miles away
Lamezia Terme Car Rentals from $63.35 per day460.3 km / 286.0 miles away
Treviso Car Rentals from $95.86 per day420.0 km / 261.0 miles away
Genoa Car Rentals from $62.75 per day407.1 km / 253.0 miles away
Bolzano Car Rentals from $146.93 per day519.5 km / 322.8 miles away
Brindisi Car Rentals from $61.10 per day478.4 km / 297.3 miles away
Brescia Car Rentals from $75.49 per day430.5 km / 267.5 miles away
Padua Car Rentals from $77.62 per day396.5 km / 246.4 miles away
158.3 km / 98.4 miles away
Reggio di Calabria Car Rentals from $67.25 per day499.4 km / 310.3 miles away
Trieste Car Rentals from $198.84 per day433.6 km / 269.4 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Rome
Rome Termini Train Station Car Rentals from $74.01 per day4.7 km / 2.9 miles away
Rome Tiburtina Train station Car Rentals from $105.44 per day7.1 km / 4.4 miles away
Rome Centocelle Car Rentals from $14.83 per day8.5 km / 5.3 miles away
Rome Ciampino Airport Car Rentals from $49.08 per day14.3 km / 8.9 miles away
Rome Fiumicino Airport Car Rentals from $58.81 per day18.7 km / 11.6 miles away
Chiusi Train Station Car Rentals from $175.88 per day131.8 km / 81.9 miles away
Perugia Airport Car Rentals from $106.97 per day135.8 km / 84.4 miles away
Pescara Airport Car Rentals from $61.15 per day155.1 km / 96.4 miles away
Naples Airport Car Rentals from $58.86 per day188.5 km / 117.2 miles away
Ancona Airport Car Rentals from $81.41 per day207.2 km / 128.8 miles away
Salerno Fisciano Car Rentals from $135.07 per day229.9 km / 142.9 miles away
Salerno Train Station Car Rentals from $121.14 per day235.1 km / 146.1 miles away
Florence Airport Car Rentals from $73.21 per day238.0 km / 147.9 miles away
Rimini Airport Car Rentals from $54.78 per day238.8 km / 148.4 miles away
Salerno Fuorni Car Rentals from $74.01 per day242.4 km / 150.6 miles away
Salerno Zona Industriale Car Rentals from $57.22 per day242.6 km / 150.7 miles away
Livorno Port Car Rentals from $117.14 per day256.3 km / 159.3 miles away
Pisa Airport Car Rentals from $66.07 per day262.2 km / 162.9 miles away
Bologna Train Station Car Rentals from $95.51 per day306.0 km / 190.1 miles away
Bologna Airport Car Rentals from $65.70 per day310.5 km / 192.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Rome?
What’s the usual rental length in Rome?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Rome?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Sicily By Car||Opel Karl||4||2||Small cars|
|Leasys Rent - Drivalia||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Fiat 500X||5||3||Medium cars|
|Ok Mobility||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Centauro||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|Leasys Rent - Drivalia||Jeep Renegade||5||3||SUVs|
|Ecovia||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|Leasys Rent - Drivalia||Fiat 500L||5||2||Medium cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Leasys Rent - Drivalia||Lancia Ypsilon||4||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.