Car Rental in Rome
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Rome?
Rome is a great place for renting a car. Having your own ride will let you explore this large and varied city, as well as visit the rest of the Lazio Region with its beaches, cozy towns, and nature areas.
One-Way Car Rentals in Rome
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Rome and drop off in another city include:
- From Rome to Milan - 452 offers from 6.67 USD per day
- From Rome to Bergamo - 232 offers from 6.67 USD per day
- From Rome to Naples - 438 offers from 19.68 USD per day
- From Rome to Pisa - 295 offers from 6.67 USD per day
- From Rome to Bari - 314 offers from 19.68 USD per day
Top ways to enter Rome
- Rome Fiumicino Airport: One of the busiest in Europe, Fiumicino serves more than 40 million passengers every year and has connections to and from destinations in all parts of the world.
- Rome Ciampino Airport: Rome’s second airport is currently served by only two airlines, Ryanair and Wizz Air, but they offer flights to and from more than 40 different destinations.
- Naples Airport: Flying to the large and modern Naples Airport is another good way to reach Rome as it is only 225 km (140 mi) away.
- By rail: If you’re arriving in Rome by train, you can conveniently pick up a rental car at the Rome Termini Railway Station.
Useful city facts
- The metropolitan population of Rome is more than 4,000,000 people, making it one of the largest capitals in Europe.
- The warmest month is Rome is August when the average temperature is 24.5 °C (76.1 °F). Even during the winter months the average temperature rarely drops below 5 °C (41 °F).
Top destinations and activities
- Colosseum. Perhaps the most famous landmark of the city, Colosseum is the symbol of the Ancient Rome. Other places of similar historic significance include ruins of the Flavian Palace, Pantheon, and the Baths of Caracalla.
- The museums. National Etruscan Museum has stunning artefacts of this pre-Roman civilization, Galleria d'Arte Antica houses impressive renaissance collections, and Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna has many Italian masterpieces, as well as works of such world-famous artists as Degas, Monet, van Gogh, Cézanne, and many others.
- The basilicas. Rome has some of the most impressive religious buildings in the world, including the St. Peter’s Basilica, Santa Maria Maggiore, and San Giovanni.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Vatican City. Surrounded by Rome from all sides, the Holy See is home to religious landmarks like Sistine Chapel, but it also has many interesting museums like the Gregorian Egyptian Museum with artifacts from Ancient Egypt, the Pio-Clementino Museum with its unique galleries, and the Pinacoteca which has works of da Vinci, Giotto, Caravaggio, Raphael, and many others.
- The beach. Rome is not usually thought of as a beach destination, but the Tyrrhenian Sea is just about 24 km (15 mi) from the city center. Lido di Ostia is a fun and popular if occasionally overcrowded destination, and Santa Marinella further to the north and Anzio to the south offer good alternatives.
- Nature areas. The Marcigliana Nature Reserve is just east of the city, the Bracciano Martignano Nature Park is a bit further north, and even the mountainous and wild Monti Navegna and Cervia Nature Reserve can be reached in an hour and a half.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Italy is the Fiat Panda, but travelers also love the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car type is economy, followed by mini and compact.
- Naples. Just a bit over two hours drive south, Naples is a stunning city that boasts history and cuisine that’s just as impressive as that of the capital city.
- Apulia and Calabria. Even further south than Naples, these two regions are yet to be fully discovered by international tourists, but offer hospitality, beautiful scenery, and character in abundance.
- Sicily. Italy’s largest island is famous for its beautiful beaches and old cities like Palermo, but the inland areas are be just impressive and can be explored for days and weeks.
Car Rental Prices in Rome
- Station wagons - from $31 per day
- Large cars - from $35 per day
- Medium cars - from $23 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $130 per day
- Premium cars - from $49 per day
- Small cars - from $18 per day
- SUVs - from $29 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are many things you can do to get a good rental deal in Rome:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Rome is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 43% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Rome
Milan Car Rentals from $9.47 per day527.2 km / 327.6 miles away
Naples Car Rentals from $10.80 per day174.2 km / 108.3 miles away
Pisa Car Rentals from $7.03 per day276.1 km / 171.6 miles away
Turin Car Rentals from $13.49 per day549.5 km / 341.4 miles away
Bologna Car Rentals from $8.44 per day322.1 km / 200.2 miles away
Bari Car Rentals from $8.90 per day354.9 km / 220.5 miles away
Venice Car Rentals from $11.57 per day412.5 km / 256.3 miles away
Florence Car Rentals from $11.25 per day250.7 km / 155.8 miles away
Lamezia Terme Car Rentals from $10.68 per day446.1 km / 277.2 miles away
Brindisi Car Rentals from $10.68 per day465.2 km / 289.0 miles away
Verona Car Rentals from $11.56 per day422.8 km / 262.7 miles away
Bergamo Car Rentals from $7.43 per day489.4 km / 304.1 miles away
Genoa Car Rentals from $12.37 per day421.3 km / 261.8 miles away
Reggio di Calabria Car Rentals from $9.84 per day489.6 km / 304.2 miles away
Pescara Car Rentals from $8.44 per day148.5 km / 92.3 miles away
Padua Car Rentals from $13.74 per day406.4 km / 252.5 miles away
Trieste Car Rentals from $8.59 per day453.4 km / 281.7 miles away
Bolzano Car Rentals from $12.67 per day528.0 km / 328.1 miles away
Lecce Car Rentals from $19.92 per day494.1 km / 307.0 miles away
Treviso Car Rentals from $14.99 per day429.2 km / 266.7 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Rome
Rome Termini Train Station Car Rentals from $10.90 per day1.6 km / 1.0 miles away
Rome Tiburtina Train station Car Rentals from $10.93 per day3.1 km / 1.9 miles away
Rome Airport Ciampino Car Rentals from $8.11 per day14.9 km / 9.3 miles away
Rome Airport Fiumicino Car Rentals from $8.68 per day23.0 km / 14.3 miles away
Chiusi Train Station Car Rentals from $23.98 per day129.3 km / 80.3 miles away
Perugia Airport Car Rentals from $15.47 per day132.0 km / 82.0 miles away
Car Rentals from $8.44 per day151.0 km / 93.8 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $14.56 per day153.5 km / 95.4 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $23.08 per day181.1 km / 112.5 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $14.67 per day181.3 km / 112.7 miles away
Naples Airport Car Rentals from $10.80 per day188.4 km / 117.0 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $11.57 per day189.3 km / 117.6 miles away
Ancona Airport Car Rentals from $9.00 per day202.8 km / 126.0 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $13.49 per day230.9 km / 143.5 miles away
Rimini Airport Car Rentals from $17.70 per day235.0 km / 146.0 miles away
Florence Airport Car Rentals from $11.25 per day235.9 km / 146.6 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $14.67 per day255.8 km / 159.0 miles away
Pisa Airport Car Rentals from $7.03 per day261.2 km / 162.3 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $26.24 per day268.6 km / 166.9 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $52.52 per day285.2 km / 177.2 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Rome?
What’s the usual rental length in Rome?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Rome?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Centauro||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Opel Crossland X||5||3||Medium cars|
|Sicily By Car||Ford Fiesta||4||1||Small cars|
|Budget||Mercedes Benz A Class||4||2||Medium cars|
|Interrent||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Volkswagen Up||3||1||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Smart For Four||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 25 Suppliers in Rome in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email