Car Rental in Pisa
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Pisa?
Pisa is a great place to rent a car in. Having your own ride will let you not only explore the city itself, but also visit many other interesting places across the Tuscany Region and elsewhere in Italy.
One-Way Car Rentals in Pisa
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Pisa and drop off in another city include:
- From Pisa to Rome - 403 offers from US$ 19.13 per day
- From Pisa to Florence - 195 offers from US$ 19.18 per day
- From Pisa to Bologna - 167 offers from US$ 19.18 per day
- From Pisa to Naples - 161 offers from US$ 19.18 per day
- From Pisa to Milan - 267 offers from US$ 19.13 per day
Top ways to enter Pisa
- Pisa Airport: Small, but busy and modern, Pisa is served by more than 30 airlines, even though some of them only have flights during summer.
- Florence Airport: About 80 minutes drive from Pisa, the airport serving Tuscany’s capital hosts flights to and from destinations in France, United Kingdom, Germany, Austria, and more than 15 other countries.
- By rail: If you’re arriving in Pisa by train, you can conveniently pick up a rental car at Pisa Railway Station.
Useful city facts
- The average temperature in August, the hottest month, is 23.4 °C (74.1 °F), but can get significantly hotter during the day. The average temperature in January is 6.8 °C (44.2 °F). Due to its location, the city gets more rain than most other Italian cities.
- Some travelers are surprised to find out that Pisa is also very near the sea. Its near suburbs, Marina di Pisa and Tirrenia, are located right on the Ligurian Coast.
Top destinations and activities
- The leaning tower. By far the most famous of Pisa’s landmarks, Torre Pendente is one of the symbols of whole Italy. It is possible to climb to its top, but you’ll have to buy a ticket and the waiting times can be anywhere between 1 to 3 hours.
- Pisa Cathedral. Not only a religious center and a beautiful building, the Pisa Cathedral hosts many famous paintings, sculptures, and mosaics by artists such as Giambologna, Della Robia, Giovanni Pisani, and others.
- Baptistry of St. John (Battistero di San Giovanni). This large Romanesque dome is beloved by tourists because of the great views of the leaning tower that you can get from its top, but the building itself with its mixed architectural style is very much worth a visit as well.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of a vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Casciana Terme. This small town about 40 minute drive southeast of Pisa is famous for its thermal spas. Known to locals for centuries, the thermal waters are now often used in modern therapies. Even if you’re in great health, enjoying the spas makes for a fun and relaxing day. A similar, but an even closer travel destination is San Giuliano Terme.
- Florence. Just 86 km (53 mi) east of Pisa, the most important city of Italian Renaissance is full of stunning buildings, world-class museums, and history on every step of the way. The city’s culinary tradition shouldn’t be overlooked, either.
- Casentinesi National Forest Park. This nature area is about 2 and half hour’s drive east of Pisa, but if the weather is good, it more than justifies the rather long way thanks to its beautiful cliffs, hills, and lakes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Italy is the Fiat Panda, although travelers also tend to pick the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500 a lot. The most popular car type is an economy, followed by compact and mini.
- Rome. About four hours drive south of Pisa, the Eternal City is a history, arts, culture, and culinary destination like no other. If you ever get overwhelmed by all it has to offer, the beaches just west of the city offer perfect relaxation.
- Southern Italy. Start by exploring beautiful Naples, but do travel even farther south where regions of Apulia, Basilicata, and Calabria offer tradition, stunning nature, and endless hospitality.
- Bologna and Venice. Just northeast of Tuscany, these two famous cities offer just as much culture as Pisa and Florence, but have their own unique atmosphere and character. Bologna can be reached in about two hours from Pisa and Venice in about three and a half.
Car Rental Prices in Pisa
- Station wagons - from $55 per day
- Large cars - from $69 per day
- Medium cars - from $43 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $131 per day
- Premium cars - from $330 per day
- Small cars - from $35 per day
- SUVs - from $53 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are different things you can do to get a good rental deal in Pisa:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Pisa is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 43% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Pisa
269.4 km / 167.4 miles away
Milan Car Rentals from $29.48 per day217.4 km / 135.1 miles away
Naples Car Rentals from $17.42 per day449.5 km / 279.3 miles away
Bari Car Rentals from $10.86 per day605.5 km / 376.3 miles away
Turin Car Rentals from $12.42 per day274.1 km / 170.3 miles away
Venice Car Rentals from $17.60 per day245.0 km / 152.3 miles away
Brindisi Car Rentals from $13.05 per day708.1 km / 440.0 miles away
Bologna Car Rentals from $13.05 per day116.4 km / 72.3 miles away
Lamezia Terme Car Rentals from $13.05 per day723.1 km / 449.3 miles away
Bergamo Car Rentals from $21.84 per day229.0 km / 142.3 miles away
Florence Car Rentals from $12.42 per day65.8 km / 40.9 miles away
Verona Car Rentals from $17.23 per day195.4 km / 121.4 miles away
Pescara Car Rentals from $10.81 per day338.4 km / 210.3 miles away
Bolzano Car Rentals from $24.94 per day319.1 km / 198.3 miles away
Reggio di Calabria Car Rentals from $14.60 per day766.4 km / 476.2 miles away
Treviso Car Rentals from $16.15 per day258.2 km / 160.5 miles away
Genoa Car Rentals from $13.05 per day147.3 km / 91.5 miles away
Modena Car Rentals from $21.61 per day111.6 km / 69.4 miles away
Padua Car Rentals from $18.61 per day223.4 km / 138.8 miles away
Trieste Car Rentals from $10.87 per day338.2 km / 210.1 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Pisa
Pisa Airport Car Rentals from $14.23 per day2.8 km / 1.7 miles away
Livorno Port Car Rentals from $31.43 per day19.3 km / 12.0 miles away
Firenze Peretola Car Rentals from $28.65 per day65.0 km / 40.4 miles away
Florence Airport Car Rentals from $12.42 per day65.8 km / 40.9 miles away
Firenze Via Borgognissanti Car Rentals from $40.63 per day68.4 km / 42.5 miles away
Modena Dworzec kolejowy Car Rentals from $12.42 per day113.4 km / 70.5 miles away
Bologna Airport Car Rentals from $11.80 per day116.2 km / 72.2 miles away
Bologna Train Station Car Rentals from $13.05 per day116.4 km / 72.3 miles away
Genoa Airport Car Rentals from $13.05 per day147.3 km / 91.5 miles away
Chiusi Train Station Car Rentals from $36.77 per day148.5 km / 92.3 miles away
Rimini Airport Car Rentals from $15.53 per day180.8 km / 112.3 miles away
Perugia Airport Car Rentals from $19.38 per day183.9 km / 114.3 miles away
Verona Airport Car Rentals from $11.48 per day191.6 km / 119.1 miles away
Verona Train Station Car Rentals from $18.28 per day196.8 km / 122.3 miles away
Brescia Train Station Car Rentals from $13.66 per day203.4 km / 126.4 miles away
Milan San Donato Milanese Car Rentals from $28.65 per day209.3 km / 130.0 miles away
Milan Airport Linate Car Rentals from $13.05 per day212.6 km / 132.1 miles away
Milan Assago Car Rentals from $28.65 per day213.7 km / 132.8 miles away
Milan Vigentino Car Rentals from $21.93 per day213.8 km / 132.8 miles away
Milan Corvetto Car Rentals from $19.95 per day214.0 km / 132.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Pisa?
What’s the usual rental length in Pisa?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Pisa?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Sicily By Car||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|Target Rent||Volkswagen Up||3||Small cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Optimo Rent||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Italy Car Rent||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Fiat 500X||5||3||Medium cars|
|Ecovia||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Noleggiare||Citroen C1||2||1||Small cars|
|Target Rent||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|