Car Rental in Pisa
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Pisa?
Pisa is a great place to pick up a rental car. It makes an excellent starting point for visiting many other interesting places in Tuscany and elsewhere in Italy.
One-Way Car Rentals in Pisa
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Pisa and drop off in another city include:
- From Pisa to Rome - 403 offers from $17.49 per day
- From Pisa to Florence - 195 offers from $17.53 per day
- From Pisa to Bologna - 167 offers from $17.53 per day
- From Pisa to Naples - 161 offers from $17.53 per day
- From Pisa to Milan - 267 offers from $17.49 per day
Top ways to enter Pisa
- Pisa Airport (PSA): Small, but busy and modern, Pisa is served by more than 30 airlines, even though some of its destinations are only served during summer.
- Florence Airport (FLR): About 80 minutes drive from Pisa, the airport serving Tuscany’s capital hosts flights to and from destinations in France, United Kingdom, Germany, Austria, and more than 15 other countries.
- By Rail: If you’re arriving in Pisa by train, you can conveniently pick up a rental car at the Pisa Centrale Railway Station.
- The average temperature in August, the hottest month, is 23.4 °C (74.1 °F), but can get significantly hotter during the day. The average temperature in January is 6.8 °C (44.2 °F). Due to its location, the city gets more rain than many other Italian cities.
- Some travelers are surprised to find out that Pisa is also very near the sea. Its suburbs, Marina di Pisa and Tirrenia, are on the Ligurian Coast.
Top destinations and activities
- The Leaning Tower. By far the most famous of Pisa’s landmarks, the Torre Pendente is one of the most recognized symbols of Italy. It is possible to climb to the top, but it’s best to book ahead.
- Pisa Cathedral. Not only a religious center and a beautiful building, the Pisa Cathedral hosts many famous paintings, sculptures, and mosaics by artists such as Giambologna, Della Robia, Giovanni Pisani, and others.
- Baptistry of St. John (Battistero di San Giovanni). This large Romanesque building is beloved by tourists because of the great views of the Leaning Tower that you can get from its upper floor
- Camposanto. The ‘old cemetery’ is home to striking frescoes and an enormous collection of relics.
- Pisa Botanical Garden. A green oasis in the city, Pisa’s Botanical Garden was the first university botanical garden founded in the world (in the 1500s) and it’s still run by the University of Pisa today. Inside, you’ll find a museum, multiple greenhouses, towering trees, herb gardens, and a relaxing atmosphere.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- The speed limit on the Autostrada (toll road) is 130 km/h, reduced to 110 km/h if it’s raining. The speed limit on highways ranges from 90-110 km/h.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your driver’s license and International Driving Permit (if required for you) with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
- It’s easiest to park outside the city walls and walk or take public transport or a taxi into the historic center. Blue lines are pay parking.
Be careful not to enter the ZTL (zona traffico limitato - limited traffic zone) if you don’t have permission.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of a vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for day trips
- Florence. Just 86 km (53 mi) east of Pisa, the most important city of Italian Renaissance is full of stunning buildings, world-class museums, and historyThe city’s culinary tradition shouldn’t be overlooked, either.
- Lucca. A favorite of many travelers to Tuscany, Lucca has a quiet city center, gorgeous piazzas, and wide city walls that you can cycle on.
- San Miniato. A somewhat secret culinary hotspot, charming San Miniato offers hip bars for aperitivo and excellent dining options.
- Chianti. Drive into the hills and taste the world-famous wines, explore hilltop villages, and delight in some of Italy’s most iconic scenery.
- Beaches. While Pisa has nice beaches along its coast, head north to Forte dei Marmi for a luxury beach stay, or south for some of the region’s wilder beaches.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Italy is the Fiat Panda, although travelers also tend to pick the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500 a lot. The most popular car type is an economy, followed by compact and mini.
- Rome. About four hours drive south of Pisa, the Eternal City is an historic, artistic, cultural, and culinary destination like no other. If you ever get overwhelmed by all it has to offer, the beaches just west of the city offer perfect relaxation.
- Southern Italy. Start by exploring edgy and exciting Naples, and then travel even farther south where regions of Apulia, Basilicata, and Calabria offer tradition, stunning nature, and endless hospitality.
- Bologna and Venice. Just northeast of Tuscany, these two famous cities offer just as much culture as Pisa and Florence, but have their own unique atmosphere and character. Bologna can be reached in about two hours from Pisa and Venice in about three and a half.
Car Rental Prices in Pisa
- Convertibles - from $12 per day
- Station wagons - from $4 per day
- Large cars - from $8 per day
- Medium cars - from $3 per day
- Vans - from $18 per day
- Premium cars - from $25 per day
- Small cars - from $2 per day
- SUVs - from $3 per day
There are different things you can do to get a good rental deal in Pisa:
Compare rates of different rental car providers
Book your rental car well in advance
Know your fuel and mileage requirements
Visit during low seasons - outside of summer months and major holidays (like Easter, Ferragosto, Christmas).
Explore pickup locations. A nearby town that’s reached easily by train may have a better rate.
Don’t rent a car for time you’ll spend in cities. It will just sit in a parking lot or garage (and you’ll need to pay for parking!).
Look into renting ‘open jaw’ - pick up your car in one destination and drop it off in another. While you will likely need to pay a supplement for your car rental, you’ll save money on gas and tolls and you’ll save precious vacation time!
Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Pisa is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 43% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Pisa
Livorno Car Rentals from $11.39 per day16.6 km / 10.3 miles away
Lucca Car Rentals from $14.20 per day20.4 km / 12.7 miles away
La Spezia Car Rentals from $15.35 per day64.5 km / 40.1 miles away
Florence Car Rentals from $6.02 per day66.7 km / 41.4 miles away
Figline Valdarno Car Rentals from $24.70 per day87.4 km / 54.3 miles away
Siena Car Rentals from $14.54 per day88.3 km / 54.9 miles away
Modena Car Rentals from $14.20 per day114.3 km / 71.0 miles away
Bologna Car Rentals from $2.37 per day118.7 km / 73.8 miles away
Arezzo Car Rentals from $12.76 per day120.9 km / 75.1 miles away
Parma Car Rentals from $10.38 per day125.9 km / 78.2 miles away
Forli Car Rentals from $12.78 per day145.8 km / 90.6 miles away
Chiusi Car Rentals from $21.03 per day146.9 km / 91.3 miles away
Genoa Car Rentals from $7.15 per day148.4 km / 92.2 miles away
151.0 km / 93.8 miles away
Piacenza Car Rentals from $15.39 per day161.8 km / 100.5 miles away
Orvieto Scalo Car Rentals from $21.10 per day176.7 km / 109.8 miles away
Rimini Car Rentals from $13.45 per day179.6 km / 111.6 miles away
Perugia Car Rentals from $6.69 per day183.4 km / 114.0 miles away
Imperia Car Rentals from $20.14 per day190.5 km / 118.4 miles away
Pavia Car Rentals from $14.89 per day193.4 km / 120.2 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Pisa
Pisa Airport Car Rentals from $2.15 per day
Livorno Port Car Rentals from $11.39 per day16.6 km / 10.3 miles away
Florence Airport Car Rentals from $6.02 per day66.7 km / 41.4 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $9.98 per day69.2 km / 43.0 miles away
Florence Santa Maria Novella Railway Station Car Rentals from $8.71 per day69.4 km / 43.1 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $27.04 per day118.5 km / 73.6 miles away
Bologna Airport Car Rentals from $2.37 per day118.7 km / 73.8 miles away
Bologna Train Station Car Rentals from $7.30 per day118.8 km / 73.8 miles away
Parma North Car Rentals from $14.20 per day128.1 km / 79.6 miles away
Chiusi Train Station Car Rentals from $32.70 per day147.5 km / 91.7 miles away
Genova Airport Car Rentals from $7.15 per day148.4 km / 92.2 miles away
Rimini Airport Car Rentals from $14.20 per day181.8 km / 113.0 miles away
Perugia Airport Car Rentals from $6.69 per day183.4 km / 114.0 miles away
Verona Airport Car Rentals from $3.37 per day194.4 km / 120.8 miles away
Milan Linate Airport Car Rentals from $2.66 per day214.9 km / 133.5 miles away
Milan Viale Umbria Car Rentals from $14.92 per day217.8 km / 135.3 miles away
Milan Duomo Car Rentals from $28.91 per day219.8 km / 136.6 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $12.69 per day220.4 km / 137.0 miles away
Bergamo Airport Car Rentals from $2.88 per day227.9 km / 141.6 miles away
Ancona Airport Car Rentals from $6.69 per day239.0 km / 148.5 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Pisa?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Pisa?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Pisa?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||3|
|Popular suppliers||RentalPlus, RentSmart24, Easycarhire, Italy Car Rent, Drivalia|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Large cars|
|Lowest price||$2 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|RentalPlus||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Italy Car Rent||Volkswagen T-Roc||5||3||SUVs|
|RentalPlus||Fiat Panda||5||1||Medium cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Easycarhire||Fiat Panda||5||2||Small cars|
|Easycarhire||Toyota Aygo||3||2||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500L||5||2||Medium cars|
|Ecovia||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.