Car Rental at Thessaloniki Airport
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Airport Car Rental
The second-largest city in Greece, Thessaloniki is a fascinating historical destination. Inhabited for over 3,000 years, it has seen the rise and fall of many classical civilizations that have left behind rich architecture and numerous artifacts. In addition to that, it is also a proud maritime city and is surrounded by plenty of coastline, mountains, and wilderness. These are three of the most interesting attractions in and around Thessaloniki:
- Arch of Galerius and Rotunda. Dating back to the 3rd and 4th centuries, the Rotunda was built by the Roman Emperor Galerius. Initially a pagan site, the impressive structure was later turned into a church, then a mosque, then a church again, always remaining one of the symbols of the city.
- Museums. Befitting a city of its size and stature, Thessaloniki is home to many fun, high-quality museums. There are many museums primarily concerned with the city’s past such as the Archaeological Museum, Byzantine Museum, Folklore and Ethnological Museum of Macedonia and Thrace, and Museum of Ancient Greek and Byzantine Musical Instruments. Others are more niche, but just as interesting — these include two museums of contemporary art, the Museum of Photography, Museum of Science, and the Museum of Cinematography. Every visitor can find something for themselves.
- Kerkini Lake National Park. Located near the borders of Bulgaria and North Macedonia, Lake Kerkini is a protected wetland area and an important refuge for flora and fauna. The lake is a great bird watching area as its inhabitants include flamingos, pelicans, hawks, falcons, and hundreds of other species; there is also a herd of water buffalos. Visitors can explore the park in a canoe, on horseback, or by following one of its hiking trails. Lake Kerkini is a 90-minute drive north of Thessaloniki and can thus be visited on a day-trip, but there are also many guesthouses around the national park. Other scenic areas near Thessaloniki include Axios-Loudias National Park, Mount Olympus, and plenty of beaches.
- The White Tower of Thessaloniki. Thessaloniki’s White Tower is one of the city’s most famous landmarks. It dates back to the 15th century and today, it contains a small photography exhibition that show Thessaloniki through the decades. From the top, you can enjoy unparalleled views over the city and the Thermaic Gulf that are particularly magical at sunset. The tower wasn’t always such a romantic setting though. During the Ottoman occupation, it operated as a prison, a garrison and a torture chamber. It was even given the terrifying nickname “the tower of blood”!
- Peraia. It can get very hot in Thessaloniki during the summer months. If you want to escape from the congested city to the coast, you can drive or ride the taxi ferry to the beach town of Peraia. The coastal town offers serviced beaches with all the amenities. Most of the beachfront restaurants will let you rent a sunbed and an umbrella for the day as long as you spend a few euros on food and drinks. There are also quiet, undisturbed sections of coastline where you can simply lay your towels on the white sand and relax. Peraia may not be quite as stunning as Halkidiki or the Greek islands. However, it still boasts crystal-clear turquoise waters that are perfect for swimming in.
- Modiano market. This covered marketplace is one of the oldest in Thessaloniki and has been in operation for more than 80 years. If you spend any amount of time in Greece you will notice that people prefer to shop at traditional farmers' markets like this one instead of supermarkets. Why? Because doing so enables them to get better quality produce at lower prices, all while supporting small local businesses. The colorful displays of perfectly polished fruits and vegetables and fragrant flowers are a photographer’s dream. The market makes for a great people-watching opportunity. If you are staying in self-catered accommodation in Thessaloniki, it is also a good place to pick up ingredients for dinner.
- Greek coffee culture. If there were to be a national sport of Greece, going out for coffee would be it. Coffee shops sit on virtually every street corner in Thessaloniki. Head to Leof. Nikis to have coffee and pastries by the sea. There is an abundance of coffee shops here to choose from. However, Achilleion (Leof. Nikis 37) and BLANC gastrobar (Leof. Nikis 9) are local favorites. The “Greek” way to enjoy a coffee is to order a freddo. A freddo espresso is a shot of strong espresso poured over ice with sugar. To make a freddo cappuccino, frothed ice cold milk is added.
- Ladadika. The cobbled streets of Ladadika make up Thessaloniki’s main nightlife district. Here, you will find an abundance of traditional tavernas, bouzoukias, bars and clubs. During the Ottoman era, this was actually a marketplace. The neighborhood’s location close to the port made it a convenient place to trade, particularly products made with olive oil. (Ladadika literally translates to mean “with oil”.)
Top international routes
Most popular types of rental car
- Convertibles - from $70 per day
- Station wagons - from $13 per day
- Large cars - from $8 per day
- Medium cars - from $6 per day
- Vans - from $35 per day
- Premium cars - from $100 per day
- Small cars - from $4 per day
- SUVs - from $8 per day
Car rental desks
Services and facilities
Nearest gas station
Popular one-way rentals
Thessaloniki Airport (SKG)
- IATA: SKG
- ICAO: LGTS
- Name: Thessaloniki Airport (SKG)
- Distance from city: 9.9 miles / 16 km
Top 20 Locations near Thessaloniki Airport
Car Rental in Thessaloniki (Downtown) from $6.34 per day2.8 km / 1.7 miles away
Car Rental at Thessaloniki Port from $10.91 per day13.2 km / 8.2 miles away
Car Rental at Volos Airport from $15.11 per day145.3 km / 90.3 miles away
Car Rental at Skiathos Airport from $14.39 per day156.1 km / 97.0 miles away
Car Rental at Skiathos Port from $14.39 per day157.2 km / 97.7 miles away
Car Rental at Ioannina Airport from $10.65 per day204.4 km / 127.0 miles away
Car Rental at Skyros Island National Airport from $16.23 per day215.9 km / 134.2 miles away
Car Rental at Alexandroupoli Airport from $12.18 per day254.5 km / 158.1 miles away
Car Rental at Preveza Airport from $4.93 per day258.8 km / 160.8 miles away
Car Rental in Lefkada (Downtown) from $13.66 per day269.3 km / 167.3 miles away
Car Rental at Barbati Village from $351.75 per day278.6 km / 173.1 miles away
Car Rental at Corfu Port from $14.58 per day278.7 km / 173.2 miles away
Car Rental at Corfu Cruise Terminal from $351.75 per day279.3 km / 173.5 miles away
Car Rental at Corfu Airport from $6.38 per day279.6 km / 173.7 miles away
Car Rental at Athens Train Station from $25.61 per day288.4 km / 179.2 miles away
Car Rental in Athens (Downtown) from $8.47 per day291.3 km / 181.0 miles away
Car Rental at Piraeus Port from $14.75 per day291.9 km / 181.4 miles away
Car Rental at Athens Port from $39.83 per day292.8 km / 181.9 miles away
Car Rental at Athens Airport from $3.22 per day299.2 km / 185.9 miles away
Car Rental at Kefalonia Fiskardo Port from $11.58 per day307.5 km / 191.1 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices the lowest at Thessaloniki Airport?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
For how long do renters keep their vehicles at Thessaloniki Airport?
What is the most popular time of year to rent a car at Thessaloniki Airport?
Car Rental Information
|Popular suppliers||SKG Rent A Car, Centauro, AACARS, Record-go, Avance|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Vans|
|Lowest price||$4 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|SKG Rent A Car||Peugeot 108||5||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|AACARS||Peugeot 208||5||3||Medium cars|
|Avance||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|Record-go||Opel Corsa||5||2||Small cars|
|SKG Rent A Car||Hyundai i20||5||2||Small cars|
|AACARS||Peugeot 108||5||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Peugeot 208||4||1||Small cars|
|CarQ||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|CarQ||Citroen C3||4||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.