Car Hire at Thessaloniki Airport
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Offers
Airport Car Hire
Although Thessaloniki is Greece’s second-largest city, it sometimes gets overshadowed by the historic splendour of Athens and the beach holiday promises of Crete and the Cycladic and Ionian Islands. But those who will travel to this metropolis in the north of the country will discover an ancient city with plenty of history, atmosphere, and things to do — and there are great beaches, too. Here’s our pick of the best attractions in and around Thessaloniki:
- Paleochristian and Byzantine monuments. Combining some of the city’s most famous landmarks, the Paleochristian and Byzantine monuments are UNESCO World Heritage sites made up of 15 beautiful monasteries and churches around the city. They include the iconic city walls and rotunda which date back to the 4th century, the church of San Demetrios, and even Thessaloniki’s own Hagia Sophia built in the likeness of the world-famous cathedral (and later mosque) in Istanbul. Even if you’re not interested in religion or history, some of these buildings are likely to take your breath away.
- Beaches. Thessaloniki might not be as famous for its coast as Rhodes, Mykonos, and Santorini, but, located on a picturesque gulf of the Aegean Sea, Thessaloniki has plenty to offer in the beach holiday department. There’s the 12-km(7.5-mile)-long promenade and a number of nice beaches within its city limits, but with a hire car, you can also travel along the coast of the bordering peninsula of Halkidiki, discovering fun coastal resorts and pristine private spots that you’d have all to yourself. A bit further down the coast, but possible to reach in about three hours, is the beautiful island of Thasos. To reach it, you need to drive to either the city of Kavala or the village of Keramoti and take a ferry from there. Some ferries permit bringing a rental car onboard while others don’t, and you should also ask your rental car company in advance. Either way, it’s usually possible to park near the port and pick up your car after returning from the island.
- Mount Olympus. The home of the Greek gods and the highest point in the country, Mount Olympus is a legendary destination not to be missed if you’re in the neighbourhood. Not only a peak, but also a national park, it is home to beautiful gorges, forests, and waterfalls. Take a hike along one of the mountaintop paths and you might get to spot a monk vulture, a golden eagle, or a roe deer. Also, don’t miss out on the Agios Dionysios monastery and its truly stunning chapel which sits under an overhanging rock much larger than itself. Located about 100 km (62 miles) south of Thessaloniki, the national park can be reached in about 90 minutes. Much closer to the city and less famous, but also lovely to visit, is the Axios Delta National Park.
Top international routes
Most popular types of hire car
- Station wagons - starting at £ 19 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 22 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 13 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - starting at £ 41 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 10 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 45 per day
Car hire desks
Services and facilities
Nearest petrol station
Popular one-way hires
Thessaloniki Airport (SKG)
- IATA: SKG
- ICAO: LGTS
- Name: Thessaloniki Airport (SKG)
- Size: Large Airport
- Flights per year: 54,931
- Passengers (per year): 6,395,523
- Distance from the city centre: 9.9 miles / 16 km S of town
- Working hours: 24 hours a day
- Phone: +30 231 473700, 2310 473312
- Email: email@example.com
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car at Thessaloniki Airport?
What’s the most popular hire length at Thessaloniki Airport?
Which month sees the highest demand for car hire at Thessaloniki Airport?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|RightCars||Nissan Micra||4||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Citroen C1||3||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Peugeot 208||4||1||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Suzuki Celerio||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Peugeot 208||4||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Hyundai i10||4||1||Small cars|
|ABBYCAR||Ford Fiesta||4||2||Small cars|
|ABBYCAR||Toyota Aygo||2||1||Small cars|
|Autounion||Citroen C1||4||1||Small cars|