Car Rental in Biarritz
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Biarritz?
You don’t need a car to visit the center of Biarritz: the town is small and cozy and easy to get around. But Biarritz is at the heart of a stunning region - the French Basque country - and a car will give you the freedom to explore everything from pristine beaches on the Bay of Biscay to small Aquitaine villages, coastal cities in nearby Spain, the Basque interior, and the Pyrenees.
One-Way Car Rentals in Biarritz
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Biarritz and drop off in another city include:
- From Biarritz to Bordeaux - 47 offers from $34.20 per day
- From Biarritz to Toulon - 69 offers from $33.46 per day
- From Biarritz to Tarbes - 34 offers from $30.53 per day
Top ways to enter Biarritz
There are two main ways of reaching Biarritz: air and rail.
Biarritz by air:
Biarritz Airport. Located just a short ride from the city center, Biarritz Pays Basque Airport served more than 1 million travelers every year before 2020 and is especially active during the summer months. The airport is served by a number of airlines, including low-cost giants Easyjet and Ryanair Flying into Biarritz is the easiest way to reach the city by air.
Bordeaux–Mérignac Airport. One of the busiest in France, Bordeaux Airport has flights from many European destinations, as well as some in Africa and Asia. Bordeaux Airport is a tad more than a two-hour drive north of Biarritz. Several bus and shuttle companies also ply this route.
Toulouse-Blagnac Airport. Serving the capital of the Haute-Garonne Region, Toulouse Airport has flights to around 80 different destinations and is served by many airlines, including some low-cost carriers. It is located about three hours drive east of Biarritz.
Bilbao Airport. Located in the largest city of neighboring Spain’s Biscay province, Bilbao Airport serves about 5.5 million passengers every year. It is a focus airport for large Spanish airlines like Volotea, Iberia, and Vueling. Bilbao Airport is just a two-hour drive west of Biarritz. Keep in mind that you’ll have to cross an international border to travel between Bilbao and Biarritz, so first make sure your car rental provider permits this. Alternatively, you can reach Biarritz by public transportation and pick up your rental car there.
Biarritz by rail:
Rail is an excellent way to reach Biarritz, both by regional TER train or by high-speed TGV from Paris. Because many trains transit through Paris, however, the ride can be long so arriving by rail is best from Paris or from the nearby region. If you arrive in Biarritz by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Biarritz Rail Station.
- Located on the Bay of Biscay, Biarritz has a temperate oceanic climate with warm summers and mild winters. The average temperature in August, the hottest month, is 25°C (77°F), while the average temperature in January is 8.5°C (47°F). Unlike on the Mediterranean coast, summers in Biarritz are only slightly drier than winters, and the city still experiences a significant number of rainy days (an average of 141 per year).
Both French and Basque are widely spoken in and around Biarritz, with most street signs, menus, etc. written in both languages. Basque is a unique language spoken in Southwest France and Northeast Spain that has no living relative. The Basque identity is important for many inhabitants of the region and the Basque red-and-green flag with a white cross can be seen in many places in Biarritz.
Top destinations and activities
- The beaches. Located on the Bay of Biscay, Biarritz is one of the top surfing destinations in Europe. The Grand Plage Beach is very central and the most picturesque, although it does get quite full of people during the summer season. Cote de Basque, another beach inside Biarritz, is a good alternative. With a rental car, you can also travel to more remote (and equally beautiful) spots like Anglet Beach. If you’re not big on surfing, but simply want to enjoy the sun and the sea, the beach near the Esplanade du Port Vieux area is your best bet.
- The Museum of the Sea. The people of Biarritz have lived off the sea for centuries. Before tourism and surfing became big, fishing, whaling, and maritime trading were the main industries. The sea also features prominently in the local Basque mythology. Consequently, it’s no surprise that one of the best maritime museums in Europe can be found in Biarritz. Focusing on the aforementioned topics, it also houses many interesting sea creatures such as anemones, different invertebrates, and seals and fish in its aquariums.
- Rocher de la Vierge. Easily reached by car, the Rock of the Virgin is one of the symbols of Biarritz. From the top of this large rock, you can enjoy amazing views of the nearby city and the Bay of Biarritz. It was used as a whale-watching place for centuries. Some say that on a clear day, it’s possible to see the Pyrenees in the distance.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h. Unlike on inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by weather.
- Speed limits in France depend on the type of road.
- Highways (autoroutes): 130 km/h
- 4-lane expressways: 110 km/h
- Most other roads: 80 km/h, unless they are signposted at 90 km/h
- Towns and villages: 50 km/h, although at times that may be lowered to 30 km/h
- In rain or fog, speed limits on roads drop by 20 km/h
- The car’s registration and insurance documents must be in it at all times.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2018, hands-free mobile phone use is banned in France and the fines are hefty.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with a letter A and you can recognize them by a red number sign. The fare for taking a toll road depends on the specific route, the distance, as well as the type of vehicle - cars with trailers and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by credit card or by cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road.
Some rental cars are equipped with toll road transporters and can use the automatic toll road payment booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with toll road transporters, though note that this service usually comes with a fee.
Ideas for day trips
- Bayonne. Located just 8 km (5 mi) east of Biarritz, Bayonne is a quiet and picturesque place with surprisingly many attractions. Admire its gothic Saint Mary Cathedral, learn more about the local culture and traditions at the Basque Museum, or stroll along scenic quays of the River Nive. Bayonne is the city that introduced chocolate into France, and there are several chocolatiers in the Old Town where you can watch it being made.
- St-Jean-de-Luz. This delightful town is an easy 20-minute drive from Biarritz along a stunning coastal road. There is a surprising amount to do in this town - explore the bay and its fort, sample some of its culinary specialties (like the Gâteau Basque, or Basque Cake, and Basque macaroons), or walk down history lane. See the houses in which Louis XIV and his fiancée the Infanta of Spain stayed before they married, and admire Saint Jean-Baptiste Church, where they tied the knot.
- Basque Country interior. Just minutes from the coast is the historical heartland of France’s Basque Country, which contains three of the seven historical Basque provinces (the other four are in Spain). Here you’ll find traditional Basque houses, with their green or deep red trim, and some of the most picturesque villages in France.
- San Sebastián. Many locals refer to it by its Basque name, Donostia, but however you call it, this city is a place you simply must visit. World-class restaurants, long promenades, lifestyle, and interesting local traditions are just some of the things that characterize San Sebastián. About 50km (31 miles) west of Biarritz, it can be reached by car in less than one hour. Keep in mind, though, that you’ll have to cross the French-Spanish border, so first make sure your rental car provider permits it.
- Pyrenees National Park. A natural border between France and Spain, the Pyrenees are considered by some hikers to be even more spectacular than the Alps. Its long valleys, rapid mountain rivers, and striking summits are easily explored thanks to the many marked trails that you can find in this park. Pyrenees National Park is also home to unique wildlife such as golden eagles, Pyrenean chamois (a species of goat-antelope), alpine marmots, and brown bears. The edge of the park nearest to Biarritz is about a two-hour drive from the city.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car type in Biarritz is the mini, perhaps thanks to the many narrow and old streets in Biarritz’s city center. The economy and compact classes are also chosen often. The most popular rental car in Biarritz is the Opel Adam, followed by the Fiat Panda and the Fiat 500.
- Spanish Basque Country. San Sebastián is a wonderful city, but it only gives you a taste of the wider region west of the border. With a rugged coastline, spectacular mountain villages, and some of the most delicious food on the planet, Euskadi can be explored for weeks. Bilbao is just 148km (92 miles) west of Biarritz, less than two hours, and harbors the world-renowned Bilbao Guggenheim Museum.
- Nouvelle-Aquitaine. This is the largest region in France and the one to which Biarritz belongs. Beyond Biarritz, there is so much to explore! From its stunning riverfront capital of Bordeaux to its world-renowned vineyards, it is no wonder the region is so popular. Visit ancient castles and churches, farmers markets in villages, or soak in the seaside atmosphere of the Bassin d’Arcachon and sample its delectable oysters. Bordeaux is about 200km (124 miles) northeast of Biarritz, with many other destinations in Nouvelle-Aquitaine being a lot closer.
- Andorra. A tiny country high in the mountains between Spain and France, Andorra is still ruled by a succession of princes. Best known for its skiing bases like Grandvalira and Vallnord, it also has attractions like the Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley wildlife sanctuary, Caldea spa complex, and plenty of ancient churches and small villages to explore. Andorra is about a five-hour drive east of Biarritz, with much of the road snaking upwards through the spectacular Pyrenees. To come to Andorra, you’ll have to cross an international border, so first, make sure your rental car provider permits it. Although Andorra is not a part of the Schengen Area like France and Spain, the entry requirements are effectively the same.
Car Rental Prices in Biarritz
- Convertibles - from $46 per day
- Station wagons - from $87 per day
- Large cars - from $39 per day
- Medium cars - from $33 per day
- Vans - from $93 per day
- Premium cars - from $101 per day
- Small cars - from $31 per day
- SUVs - from $51 per day
Try these tips to get a great rental car in Biarritz:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Biarritz is cheapest in January when renting a car is about 65% cheaper than the yearly average. Come visit Southwest France in winter!
Top 20 Cities near Biarritz
Pau Car Rentals from $32.70 per day90.4 km / 56.2 miles away
Tarbes Car Rentals from $32.70 per day127.6 km / 79.3 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $27.36 per day165.0 km / 102.5 miles away
Bergerac Car Rentals from $27.36 per day222.6 km / 138.3 miles away
Toulouse Car Rentals from $32.70 per day234.3 km / 145.6 miles away
Angouleme Car Rentals from $45.31 per day277.7 km / 172.6 miles away
La Rochelle Car Rentals from $41.09 per day302.6 km / 188.0 miles away
Brive Car Rentals from $46.97 per day307.0 km / 190.8 miles away
Carcassonne Car Rentals from $26.70 per day311.7 km / 193.7 miles away
Limoges Car Rentals from $28.04 per day341.6 km / 212.3 miles away
Perpignan Car Rentals from $25.24 per day366.3 km / 227.6 miles away
Narbonne Car Rentals from $28.04 per day368.2 km / 228.8 miles away
Béziers Car Rentals from $33.53 per day394.9 km / 245.4 miles away
Nantes Car Rentals from $23.76 per day410.2 km / 254.9 miles away
Saumur Car Rentals from $46.41 per day436.6 km / 271.3 miles away
Montpellier Car Rentals from $40.74 per day442.9 km / 275.2 miles away
Clermont-Ferrand Car Rentals from $46.01 per day448.4 km / 278.6 miles away
Angers Car Rentals from $40.43 per day450.8 km / 280.1 miles away
Nimes Car Rentals from $36.27 per day476.1 km / 295.8 miles away
Arles Car Rentals from $46.01 per day497.2 km / 308.9 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Biarritz
Biarritz Airport Car Rentals from $30.51 per day
Tarbes-Lourdes-Pyrenees Airport Car Rentals from $32.70 per day127.6 km / 79.3 miles away
Bordeaux Airport Car Rentals from $35.06 per day165.0 km / 102.5 miles away
Bergerac Airport Car Rentals from $42.44 per day222.6 km / 138.3 miles away
Toulouse Blagnac Airport Car Rentals from $37.84 per day234.3 km / 145.6 miles away
Angouleme Train Station Car Rentals from $46.82 per day277.7 km / 172.6 miles away
La Rochelle – Île de Ré Airport Car Rentals from $94.02 per day302.6 km / 188.0 miles away
303.5 km / 188.6 miles away
Carcassonne Airport Car Rentals from $26.70 per day311.7 km / 193.7 miles away
Limoges Bellegarde Airport Car Rentals from $62.20 per day341.6 km / 212.3 miles away
Perpignan Airport Car Rentals from $38.82 per day366.3 km / 227.6 miles away
Beziers Airport Car Rentals from $34.82 per day394.9 km / 245.4 miles away
Nantes Airport Car Rentals from $23.76 per day410.2 km / 254.9 miles away
Nantes North East Car Rentals from $40.34 per day420.4 km / 261.2 miles away
Montpellier Sud de France Car Rentals from $45.15 per day440.0 km / 273.4 miles away
Montpellier-Méditerranée Airport Car Rentals from $40.74 per day442.9 km / 275.2 miles away
Angers Train Station Car Rentals from $40.43 per day450.8 km / 280.1 miles away
Clermont-Ferrand Auvergne Airport Car Rentals from $55.84 per day452.0 km / 280.9 miles away
Nimes Airport Car Rentals from $44.23 per day479.8 km / 298.1 miles away
Lorient Train Station Car Rentals from $26.83 per day497.5 km / 309.1 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Biarritz?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Biarritz?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Biarritz?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||3|
|Popular suppliers||RentScape, Alamo, Europcar, Enterprise, SIXT|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, Large cars, Vans|
|Lowest price||$31 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|RentScape||Peugeot 208||5||1||Small cars|
|RentScape||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|RentScape||Peugeot 2008||5||2||Medium cars|
|RentScape||Peugeot 5008 5+2||5||1||Vans|
|RentScape||Audi A1||3||1||Medium cars|
|RentScape||Renault Clio||5||1||Small cars|
|RentScape||Fiat 500 Cabrio||2||1||Convertibles|
|RentScape||Peugeot 3008||5||3||Large cars|
|RentScape||BMW 3 Series||5||2||Large cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.