Car Rental in Biarritz
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Biarritz?
Biarritz is a great place to explore by car. The town itself is small and cozy, but the freedom of your own ride will let you visit some of the countless amazing places that are located nearby, from pristine beaches on the Bay of Biscay to small Aquitaine villages, coastal cities in nearby Spain, and the Pyrenees.
One-Way Car Rentals in Biarritz
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Biarritz and drop off in another city include:
- From Biarritz to Bordeaux - 47 offers from 36.82 USD per day
- From Biarritz to Toulon - 69 offers from 36.02 USD per day
- From Biarritz to Tarbes - 34 offers from 32.88 USD per day
Top ways to enter Biarritz
- Biarritz Airport. Located just a short ride from the city center, Biarritz Pays Basque Airport serves more than 1 million travelers every year and is especially active during the summer months. The airport is served by a number of airlines of different price categories, and flying into it is definitely the easiest way to reach Biarritz.
- Bordeaux–Mérignac Airport. One of the busiest in France, Bordeaux Airport hosts flights by a large number of airlines and offers flights to and from many European destinations, as well as some in Africa and Asia. Bordeaux Airport is a tad more than a two hours ride north of Biarritz.
- Toulouse Airport. Serving the capital of the Haute-Garonne Region, Toulouse Airport has flights to around 80 different destinations and is served by many airlines, including some low-cost carriers. It is located about three hours drive east of Biarritz.
- Bilbao Airport. Located in the largest city of neighboring Spain’s Biscay province, Bilbao Airport serves about 5.5 million passengers every year. It is a focus airport for large Spanish airlines like Volotea, Iberia, and Vueling. Bilbao Airport is just a two-hour drive west of Biarritz. Keep in mind that you’ll have to cross an international border to travel between Bilbao and Biarritz, so first make sure your car rental provider permits this. Alternatively, you can arrive in Biarritz by public transportation and pick up your rental car there.
- By rail: If you arrive in Biarritz by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Biarritz Rail Station.
Useful city facts
- Located on the Bay of Biscay, Biarritz has a temperate oceanic climate with warm summers and mild winters. The average temperature in August, the hottest month, is 25°C (77°F), while the average temperature in January is 8.5°C (47°F). Unlike on the Mediterranean coast, summers in Biarritz are only slightly drier than winters and the city still experiences a significant amount of rainy days.
- Both French and Basque are widely spoken in and around Biarritz, with most street signs, menus, etc. written in both languages. Basque is a unique language spoken in Southwest France and Northeast Spain that has no living relative languages. The Basque identity is important for many inhabitants of the region and the Basque red-and-green flag with a white cross can be seen in many places in Biarritz.
Top destinations and activities
- The beaches. Located on the Bay of Biscay, Biarritz is one of the top surfing destinations in Europe. The Grand Plage Beach is very central and the most picturesque, although it does get quite full of people during the summer season. Cote de Basque, another beach inside Biarritz, is a good alternative. With a rental car, you can also travel to more remote (and equally beautiful) spots like Anglet Beach. If you’re not big on surfing, but simply want to enjoy the sun and the sea, the beach near the Esplanade du Port Vieux area is your best bet.
- The Museum of the Sea. The people of Biarritz have lived off the sea for centuries. Before tourism and surfing became big, fishing, whaling, and maritime trading were the main industries. The sea also features prominently in the local Basque mythology. Consequently, it’s no surprise that one of the best maritime museums in Europe can be found in Biarritz. Focusing on the aforementioned topics, it also houses many interesting sea creatures such as anemones, different invertebrates, and seals and fish in its aquariums.
- Rocher de la Vierge. Easily reached by car, the Rock of the Virgin is one of the symbols of Biarritz. From the top of this large rock, you can enjoy amazing views of the nearby city and the Bay of Biarritz. It was used as a whale watching place for centuries. Some say that on a clear day it’s possible to see the Pyrenees in the distance.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h. Unlike on inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by weather.
- Outside cities, as of July 2018 the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130 km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110 km/h, and 2- or 3- lane roads to 90 km/h. During the rain, the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The car’s registration and insurance documents must be in it at all times.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2018, hands-free mobile phone use is banned in France and the fines are hefty.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with a letter A and you can recognize them by a red number sign. The fare for taking a toll road depends on the specific route, the distance, as well as the type of vehicle - cars with trailers and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by credit card or by cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road.
Some rental cars are equipped with toll road transporters and can use the automatic toll road payment booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with toll road transporters, though note that this service usually comes with a fee.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Bayonne. Located just 8 km (5 mi) east of Biarritz, Bayonne is a quiet and picturesque place with surprisingly many attractions. Admire its gothic Saint Mary Cathedral, learn more about the local culture and traditions at the Basque culture museum, or go on a long walk along the scenic quays of the river Nive.
- San Sebastián. Many locals refer to it by its Basque name, Donostia, but however you call it, this city is a place you simply must visit. World-class restaurants, long promenades, high quality of life, and interesting local traditions are just some of the things that characterize San Sebastián. About 50km (31 miles) west of Biarritz, it can be reached by car in less than one hour. Keep in mind, though, that you’ll have to cross the French-Spanish border, so first make sure your rental car provider permits it.
- Pyrenees National Park. A natural border between France and Spain, the Pyrenees are considered by some hikers to be even more picturesque than the Alps. Its long valleys, rapid mountain rivers, and striking summits are easily explored thanks to the many marked trails that you can find in this park. Pyrenees National Park is also home to unique wildlife such as golden eagles, Pyrenean chamois ( a species of goat-antelope), alpine marmots, and brown bears. The nearest edge of the park is just about a two-hour drive east of Biarritz.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car type in Biarritz is the mini, perhaps thanks to the many narrow and old streets in Biarritz’s city center. The economy and compact classes are also chosen a lot. The most popular rental car in Biarritz is the Opel Adam, followed by the Fiat Panda and the Fiat 500.
- Spanish Basque Country. San Sebastián is a wonderful city, but it only gives you a taste of the wider region to be found west of the border. With a rugged coastline, bullfighting, impressive cities like Bilbao, spectacular mountain villages, and some of the most delicious food on the planet, Euskadi can be explored for weeks. Bilbao is just 148km (92 miles) west of Biarritz, a distance that can be driven in less than two hours.
- Nouvelle-Aquitaine. The largest region of France (that Biarritz is also a part of) Nouvelle-Aquitaine is a fun place to explore. It’s capital, and most famous city, is Bordeaux, a historic place famous for its waterfront. It’s just as interesting to travel around the countryside to see ancient castles and churches, visit farmers markets in villages, and, if you’re traveling with a friend or a partner, to go on an awesome wine adventure to the local vineyards. Bordeaux is about 200km (124 miles) northeast of Biarritz, with many other destinations in Nouvelle-Aquitaine being a lot closer.
- Andorra. A tiny country high in the mountains between Spain and France, Andorra is still ruled by a succession of princes. Best known for its skiing bases like Grandvalira and Vallnord, it also has attractions like Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley wildlife sanctuary, Caldea spa complex, and plenty of ancient churches and small villages to explore. Andorra is about a five-hour drive east of Biarritz, with most of the road snaking upwards through the spectacular Pyrenees. To come to Andorra, you’ll have to cross an international border, so first, make sure your rental car provider permits it. Although Andorra is not a part of the Schengen Area like France and Spain, the entry requirements are effectively the same.
Car Rental Prices in Biarritz
- Station wagons - from $61 per day
- Large cars - from $60 per day
- Medium cars - from $57 per day
- Premium cars - from $121 per day
- Small cars - from $51 per day
- SUVs - from $65 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Try these tips to get a great rental car in Biarritz:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Biarritz is cheapest in January when renting a car is about 65% cheaper than the yearly average. Come visit Southwest France in winter!
Top 20 Cities near Biarritz
Paris Car Rentals from $40.84 per day691.2 km / 429.5 miles away
Ajaccio Car Rentals from $42.37 per day860.8 km / 534.9 miles away
Marseille Car Rentals from $38.18 per day544.4 km / 338.3 miles away
Nice Car Rentals from $47.23 per day708.7 km / 440.4 miles away
Bastia Car Rentals from $42.37 per day900.8 km / 559.8 miles away
Figari Car Rentals from $69.95 per day897.8 km / 557.9 miles away
Lyon Car Rentals from $38.02 per day566.3 km / 351.9 miles away
Toulouse Car Rentals from $31.22 per day234.3 km / 145.6 miles away
Montpellier Car Rentals from $47.23 per day442.9 km / 275.2 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $38.18 per day165.0 km / 102.5 miles away
Lille Car Rentals from $32.26 per day862.7 km / 536.1 miles away
Nantes Car Rentals from $43.97 per day410.2 km / 254.9 miles away
Toulon Car Rentals from $43.97 per day604.7 km / 375.8 miles away
Calvi Car Rentals from $42.37 per day845.7 km / 525.5 miles away
Perpignan Car Rentals from $48.31 per day366.3 km / 227.6 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Car Rentals from $55.17 per day552.6 km / 343.4 miles away
Cannes Car Rentals from $48.35 per day684.0 km / 425.0 miles away
Nimes Car Rentals from $52.78 per day479.8 km / 298.1 miles away
Grenoble Car Rentals from $35.93 per day584.2 km / 363.0 miles away
Limoges Car Rentals from $33.69 per day341.6 km / 212.3 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Biarritz
Downtown Car Rentals from $53.95 per day
Biarritz Airport Car Rentals from $48.31 per day0.7 km / 0.4 miles away
Dax Downtown Car Rentals from $57.98 per day47.5 km / 29.5 miles away
Pau Pyrenees Airport Car Rentals from $48.31 per day91.1 km / 56.6 miles away
Tarbes-Lourdes-Pyrenees Airport Car Rentals from $48.31 per day128.2 km / 79.7 miles away
Bordeaux Airport Car Rentals from $38.18 per day165.3 km / 102.7 miles away
Agen Train Station Car Rentals from $53.95 per day191.8 km / 119.2 miles away
Bergerac Airport Car Rentals from $49.52 per day223.1 km / 138.6 miles away
Toulouse Blagnac Airport Car Rentals from $31.22 per day235.0 km / 146.0 miles away
Toulouse Train Station Car Rentals from $31.89 per day241.8 km / 150.2 miles away
Angouleme Train Station Car Rentals from $29.60 per day278.0 km / 172.8 miles away
La Rochelle – Île de Ré Airport Car Rentals from $45.10 per day302.7 km / 188.1 miles away
Brive Airport Car Rentals from $34.49 per day304.0 km / 188.9 miles away
Brive Train Station Car Rentals from $39.91 per day307.5 km / 191.1 miles away
Carcassonne Airport Car Rentals from $48.31 per day312.4 km / 194.1 miles away
Rodez Airport Car Rentals from $41.22 per day338.6 km / 210.4 miles away
Limoges Bellegarde Airport Car Rentals from $33.69 per day342.1 km / 212.6 miles away
Limoges-Bénédictins Train Station Car Rentals from $42.10 per day344.4 km / 214.0 miles away
Aurillac Airport Car Rentals from $38.08 per day353.3 km / 219.5 miles away
Perpignan Airport Car Rentals from $48.31 per day367.0 km / 228.0 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Biarritz?
What’s the usual rental length in Biarritz?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Biarritz?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Ace Rent a car||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Ace Rent a car||Fiat 500||2||1||Small cars|
|Ace Rent a car||Opel Astra||5||2||Medium cars|
|Firefly||Opel Astra||5||2||Medium cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Peugeot 108||3||1||Small cars|
|Firefly||Chevrolet Spark 3d||3||2||Small cars|
|Firefly||Chevrolet Aveo||4||3||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
Top 14 Suppliers in Biarritz in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email