Car Rental in Limoges
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Limoges?
Limoges is a great place to visit. A quiet and calm city, it nonetheless has plenty to enjoy when it comes to beautiful architecture, parks, gardens, and historic sites. Thanks to its central location, it is only a few hours' drive from such famous French cities as Paris, Bordeaux, Toulouse, and Lyon.
One-Way Car Rentals in Limoges
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Limoges and drop off in another city include:
- From Limoges to Bordeaux - 27 offers from US$ 41.38 per day
Top ways to enter Limoges
- Limoges Airport: Also known as Limoges-Bellegarde, this small airport handles about 300,000 travelers every year. As of September 2019, it is served by four airlines: British Airways, Chalair Aviation, Flybe, and Ryanair. Located 10km (6 miles) northwest of the city center, the airport can be reached in about 15 minutes.
- Brive–Souillac Airport: Serving the commune of Brive-la-Gaillarde and its surrounding region, Brive Airport is only served by two airlines, HOP! and Ryanair. In addition to domestic connections, it also hosts flights to and from Portugal and the United Kingdom. The airport is 107km (66 miles) south of Limoges and can be reached in about one hour.
- Bergerac Airport: Also known as Dordogne Périgord and Bergerac-Roumanière, it is another small international airport in Southern France. As of September 2019, the airport is served by six different airlines, although some of the flights are only active during the summer months. Located 204km (129 miles) southwest of Limoges, the airport can be reached in about two hours.
- Bordeaux Airport: With 6.7 million travelers served in 2018, Bordeaux Airport is the eighth-busiest in France. The airport is a large hub for low-cost carriers Volotea, Ryanair, and easyJet and is also served by more than 20 other airlines. Located 230km (143 miles) west of Limoges, the airport can be reached in about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- By rail: If you arrive in Limoges by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at the Limoges-Bénédictins Railway Station.
Useful city facts
- Located not too far from the Bay of Biscay, Limoges has an oceanic climate with hot, but tolerable summers and short, mild winters. The average high temperature is 24°C (75°F) in July, the hottest month (with many individual days in July and August hotter than 30°C (86°F)) and 7°C (44°F) in January, the coldest month. Precipitation is relatively high and steady throughout the year. Limoges has, on average, seven snowy days per year.
- Founded in the year 10 BC by the Romans, the area of Limoges was originally known as Augustoritom (meaning August’s ford). The ancient Roman city had an amphitheater, a forum, and several temples dedicated to different Roman gods, although little more than ruins remain of them to this day. During medieval times, Limoges was an important religious center and was the location of several decisive Catholic councils.
Top destinations and activities
- Limoges Cathedral. While the first stone of Limoges Cathedral was laid in 1273, the impressive building took more than 600 years to be fully finished. Consequently, different architectural influences can be observed - the building is a blend of Gothic, Renaissance, and Romanesque styles. It is not only impressive from the outside, but also from the inside due to the impressive religious artworks it houses.
- The Botanical Garden of the Bishopric. Located right next to the cathedral, this botanical garden is one of the nicest green areas in Limoges. The garden is a place for long, relaxing walks and its terraces offer great views of the River Vienne below. After visiting this one, drive to visit the Botanical Garden Daniella, another botanical garden that specializes in unique alpine plants.
- The Abbey of Saint Martial. For nearly 1,000 years, the Abbey of Saint Martial was a Christian monastery in Limoges. However, the memory of it faded soon after its dissolution in 1791, and the site was only found again, by accident, in 1960. The excavations that followed discovered the tomb of Saint Martial, the first bishop of Limoges, as well as impressive mosaics and ruins of ancient chapels. Today, the historic site is open for visitors.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30km/h. Unlike with inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by weather.
- Outside cities, as of July 2018 the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110km/h, and 2- or 3- lane roads to 90km/h. During the rain, the limits are respectively lowered to 110km/h, 100km/h, and 80km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2018, hands-free mobile phone use is banned in France and the fines are hefty.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with the letter A and you can recognize them by a red number sign.The toll for these roads depends on the specific route, the distance traveled, as well as the type of vehicle - cars with trailers and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by credit card or with cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road.
Some rental cars are equipped with toll road transponders and can use the automatic toll road payment booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with toll road transporters.
See the official French toll road website for more information. Use the website's toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Regional Natural Park Périgord Limousin. A vast protected area, Périgord Limousin is made up of meadows, little brooks, blue lakes, and unique rock formations. Go on a long walk and try to spot an otter, a red deer, a black kite, or one of the other animal species that live there. Located just 53km (33 miles) south of Lyon, the park can be reached in about 50 minutes.
- Angouleme. A small, picturesque town west of Limoges, Angouleme has its fair share of things to see and do. The city attracts visitors with its Art and History Museum, Paper Making Museum, and the beautiful Angouleme Theater. If you’re visiting in January, make sure to check out the Angouleme International Comics Festival, the largest such event in Europe. Regardless of the season, trying the city’s famous chocolate is simply a must. Located 108km (67 miles) from Limoges, Angouleme can be reached in about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Clermont-Ferrand. This French city is famous for the Place de Jaude, its large and interesting historic center with plenty of restaurants, galleries, and event venues. Other attractions include the statue of Vercingetorix, a heroic commander who fought against the Romans in the Gallic Wars, and Vulcania, a volcano-based theme park that visitors of every age will enjoy. With a rental car, you can afterward drive to the nearby Auvergne Volcanoes Regional Nature Park which is home to a number of extinct volcanoes. Located 230km (143 miles) east of Limoges, Clermont-Ferrand can be reached in about 2 hours and 20 minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Limoges is the Citroen C3, followed by the Ford Focus and the Peugeot 208. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact, and standard.
- Lyon. Large and impressive, Lyon is known for its amazing cultural heritage - according to some, its churches, basilicas, and old chapels are even more beautiful than those of Paris. Lyon is also a food metropolis and has an endless amount of delicious local specialties and high-quality restaurants. Located 411km (255 miles) east of Limoges, the city can be reached in about 3 hours and 40 minutes.
- Bordeaux. As famous for its quays along the River Garonne as it is for its red wine, Bordeaux is a beautiful city in Western France. Marvel at the Church of the Holy Cross, go on a vineyard tour through the surrounding villages (and even sample the local produce if you’re traveling with a friend who can drive), or visit the nearby coast of the Bay of Biscay. Located 220km (137 miles) west of Limoges, Bordeaux can be reached in about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Côte d'Azur. Also known as French Riviera, this beautiful Mediterranean coastal stretch is all about enjoying life. Get a tan in Cannes, try surfing near St. Tropez, or visit the best seafood restaurants in Nice - the region truly has something for everyone. Toulon, the nearest city, is 750km (466 miles) south of Limoges and takes about seven hours to reach, but the long trip is worth it. You can explore the rest of the region from there.
Car Rental Prices in Limoges
- Station wagons - from $84 per day
- Large cars - from $75 per day
- Medium cars - from $52 per day
- Small cars - from $40 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are things you can do to improve your chances of getting a great rental car:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Limoges is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 28% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 43% cheaper than renting a car in November or December.
Top 20 Cities near Limoges
Paris Car Rentals from $19.06 per day358.4 km / 222.7 miles away
Nice Car Rentals from $45.62 per day537.1 km / 333.7 miles away
Lyon Car Rentals from $18.70 per day282.9 km / 175.8 miles away
Marseille Car Rentals from $30.37 per day439.7 km / 273.2 miles away
Toulouse Car Rentals from $28.87 per day251.1 km / 156.0 miles away
Bastia Car Rentals from $45.17 per day756.9 km / 470.3 miles away
Ajaccio Car Rentals from $46.37 per day750.7 km / 466.4 miles away
Figari Car Rentals from $51.95 per day799.4 km / 496.8 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $13.02 per day187.0 km / 116.2 miles away
Nantes Car Rentals from $30.56 per day257.5 km / 160.0 miles away
Grenoble Car Rentals from $23.55 per day327.7 km / 203.6 miles away
Montpellier Car Rentals from $27.52 per day335.2 km / 208.3 miles away
Lille Car Rentals from $36.85 per day541.6 km / 336.5 miles away
Strasbourg Car Rentals from $33.89 per day579.9 km / 360.3 miles away
Cannes Car Rentals from $27.52 per day528.3 km / 328.3 miles away
364.9 km / 226.7 miles away
Beauvais Car Rentals from $55.46 per day405.6 km / 252.1 miles away
Toulon Car Rentals from $32.15 per day483.8 km / 300.6 miles away
Perpignan Car Rentals from $37.61 per day377.0 km / 234.2 miles away
Biarritz Car Rentals from $35.18 per day341.6 km / 212.3 miles away
Top 16 Locations near Limoges
Limoges Bellegarde Airport Car Rentals from $26.43 per day7.1 km / 4.4 miles away
Brive Airport Car Rentals from $44.68 per day78.2 km / 48.6 miles away
Brive Train Station Car Rentals from $36.06 per day78.8 km / 49.0 miles away
Angouleme Train Station Car Rentals from $39.82 per day87.7 km / 54.5 miles away
Poitiers-Biard Airport Car Rentals from $51.10 per day111.4 km / 69.2 miles away
Bergerac Airport Car Rentals from $33.70 per day126.8 km / 78.8 miles away
Aurillac Railway Station Car Rentals from $95.05 per day136.9 km / 85.0 miles away
Aurillac Airport Car Rentals from $103.26 per day138.7 km / 86.2 miles away
Clermont-Ferrand Auvergne Airport Car Rentals from $36.85 per day147.1 km / 91.4 miles away
Moulins-sur-Allier Train Station Car Rentals from $28.25 per day178.7 km / 111.0 miles away
Bordeaux–Mérignac Airport Car Rentals from $13.02 per day190.8 km / 118.6 miles away
La Rochelle – Île de Ré Airport Car Rentals from $65.02 per day193.8 km / 120.4 miles away
Angers - Loire Airport Car Rentals from $37.90 per day226.2 km / 140.6 miles away
Angers Train Station Car Rentals from $33.03 per day228.2 km / 141.8 miles away
Toulouse Barriere de Paris Car Rentals from $40.62 per day244.7 km / 152.1 miles away
Toulouse-Blagnac Airport Car Rentals from $20.98 per day245.0 km / 152.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Limoges?
What’s the usual rental length in Limoges?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Limoges?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Alamo||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|Enterprise||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|Enterprise||Opel Combo||5||3||Medium cars|
|Enterprise||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Enterprise||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|Keddy||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Enterprise||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Opel Corsa||4||2||Small cars|
|Enterprise||Opel Mokka X||4||2||SUVs|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.