Car Rental in France
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in France?
France is a great country to explore by car. From its capital, Paris, to other historic cities, the Atlantic coast in the west, the Mediterranean in the south, and the Alps in the east, you could explore it for weeks or even months without growing bored.
If you want to know more about renting a car in France, don't miss our complete guide.
One-way Car Rentals in France
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in France and drop off in another country:
- From France to Italy - 366 offers from US$ 430.33 per day
- From France to Spain - 260 offers from US$ 110.89 per day
- From France to Germany - 285 offers from US$ 77.18 per day
- From France to Switzerland - 81 offers from US$ 83.91 per day
- From France to Netherlands - 48 offers from US$ 197.12 per day
Top ways to enter France
- Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport: Largest in France and one of the busiest airports in Europe.
- Nice Airport: Best way to reach southern France’s Cote d’Azur.
- Bordeaux Airport: Serves not only the city of Bordeaux, but also much of the coastal Southwest France.
- Marseille Airport: Serves France’s second city in the country’s south.
- By land: If your rental car provider permits it, you can pick up a rental car in a neighboring country and then drive to France. Some large airports near France include Barcelona Airport in Spain, Brussels Airport in Belgium, and Geneva Airport in Switzerland.
- By Sea: Ferries arrive from vairous locations including the United Kingdom in ferry ports like the Cherbourg Ferry Port.
Top cities and places to visit
- Paris: The Eiffel Tower, Champs-Élysées, and the Notre Dame Cathedral are just some of the world-famous landmarks and sites of Paris.
- Cote d’Azur: Relaxed and picturesque, this coastal stretch along the Mediterranean is the perfect place to enjoy life.
- The Alps: France’s high mountains offer stunning landscapes and opportunities for winter sports while valley towns like Chambery are among the most picturesque you’ll find anywhere in Europe.
- Southwest France: From wine-making Bordeaux to surfing paradise in Biarritz and the foothills of Pyrenees, this part of France is just as captivating as some of the more famous destinations.
- Brittany: Home to a proud local culture and beautiful Atlantic beaches, Brittany is one of the calmest and coziest places in all of the land.
- Dijon: The capital of Burgundy is about 340 km south east of Paris. Dijon is a good place to visit for a day or two with its relaxing historic center. Visitors should also be sure to try the Burgundy wine.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in France is the Renault Twingo, but travelers also love the Volkswagen Polo and the Ford Fiesta.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in France is an economy, followed by compact and mini.
Top driving routes
- Paris - Brussels (325 km / 202 mi) Brussels, the capital of the European Union (EU), can be reached in less than four hours, and other Belgian cities like Antwerp and Ghent are just a little bit further. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
- Nice - Milan (317 km / 197 mi) The Italian metropolis is at the foothills of the Alps, but you can reach it from the Mediterranean Coast in only four hours. It’s also possible to visit Monaco on the way. Note that to visit Milan from Nice (or vice versa) you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
- Marseille - Barcelona (507 km / 315 mi) Second cities of France and Spain are just five hours apart, though you may want to explore the nature reserves and the Costa Brava beaches on the way. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
Car Rental Prices
- Convertibles - from $90 per day
- Station wagons - from $64 per day
- Large cars - from $58 per day
- Medium cars - from $42 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $69 per day
- Premium cars - from $92 per day
- Small cars - from $34 per day
- SUVs - from $77 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in France:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting France is the cheapest in March when renting a car is about 20% cheaper than the yearly average and about 38% cheaper than renting a car in December.
Top 20 Most Popular Cities in France
Car Rental in Paris from $39.33 per day
Car Rental in Lyon from $26.46 per day
Car Rental in Nice from $20.41 per day
Car Rental in Marseille from $18.22 per day
Car Rental in Toulouse from $23.73 per day
Car Rental in Lille from $26.78 per day
Car Rental in Montpellier from $24.02 per day
Car Rental in Bordeaux from $39.54 per day
Car Rental in Nantes from $25.42 per day
Car Rental in Biarritz from $33.28 per day
Car Rental in Bastia from $20.83 per day
Car Rental in Figari from $19.97 per day
Car Rental in Nimes from $53.93 per day
Car Rental in Toulon from $30.81 per day
Car Rental in Strasbourg from $23.11 per day
Car Rental in Grenoble from $22.77 per day
Car Rental in Ajaccio from $19.81 per day
Car Rental in Perpignan from $33.65 per day
Car Rental in Aix-en-Provence from $26.41 per day
Car Rental in Cannes from $21.25 per day
Top 20 Most Popular Locations in France
Car Rental at Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport from $28.67 per day
Car Rental at Paris Orly Airport from $25.51 per day
Car Rental at Nice Airport from $20.41 per day
Car Rental at Marseille Provence Airport from $18.22 per day
Car Rental at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport from $23.73 per day
Car Rental at Lyon-Saint-Exupéry Airport from $28.89 per day
Car Rental at Marseille-Saint-Charles Train Station from $25.69 per day
Car Rental at Bordeaux–Mérignac Airport from $39.54 per day
Car Rental at Nice Train Station from $25.44 per day
Car Rental at Lyon-Part-Dieu Train Station from $26.46 per day
Car Rental at Lyon-Perrache Train Station from $26.46 per day
Car Rental at Montpellier-Méditerranée Airport from $22.91 per day
Car Rental at Lille Airport from $26.78 per day
Car Rental at Lille Europe Train Station from $20.69 per day
Car Rental at Toulouse Train Station from $23.00 per day
Car Rental at Corsica Bastia - Poretta Airport from $20.83 per day
Car Rental at Biarritz Airport from $33.28 per day
Car Rental at Figari-Sud Corse Airport from $19.97 per day
Car Rental at Nantes Atlantique Airport from $25.42 per day
Car Rental at Nimes Airport from $53.93 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in France?
What’s the average rental length in France?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in France?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Ace Rent a car||Opel Astra||5||2||Medium cars|
|Ace Rent a car||Opel Adam||2||1||Small cars|
|Ace Rent a car||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
|Keddy||Toyota Aygo||3||1||Small cars|
|Interrent||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
|Interrent||Peugeot 108||3||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|Goldcar||Peugeot 208||4||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Citroen C3||4||2||Small cars|