Car Rental in Nantes
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Nantes?
Nantes is a great place to rent a car. Its historic center has many impressive buildings from different historical periods while just outside the city borders there are nice green areas for relaxation. Near both the Bay of Biscay and large cities like Paris and Bordeaux, Nantes can also serve as a great base from which to explore the rest of France.
One-Way Car Rentals in Nantes
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Nantes and drop off in another city include:
- From Nantes to Rennes - 127 offers from US$ 45.79 per day
- From Nantes to Paris - 128 offers from US$ 46.89 per day
- From Nantes to Toulouse - 56 offers from US$ 49.47 per day
- From Nantes to Bordeaux - 79 offers from US$ 49.47 per day
Top ways to enter Nantes
- Nantes Atlantique Airport: Handling more than 6 million travelers every year, Nantes Airport is served by more than 25 different airlines, including some low-cost carriers. Located in the nearby town of Bouguenais, the airport is just 8km (5 miles) southwest of the city center.
- Rennes-Saint-Jacques Airport: Small and cozy, Rennes Airport offers a number of domestic flights, as well as air connections to the Netherlands, Ireland, the United Kingdom, Portugal, Spain, and other countries. Also known as Rennes Bretagne Airport, it is about 104km (64 miles) north of Nantes.
- La Rochelle Airport: Located in the nearby Charente-Maritime Region, La Rochelle Airport serves only 240,000 travelers per year, but the airport is quite active during the summer months when it hosts the international flights of six different airlines. About 137km (85 miles) south of Nantes, the airport can be reached in 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport: Serving the French capital, CDG is the second-busiest airport in Europe and in the top 10 in the world. The airport offers flights to and from countless destinations in all parts of the world. About 410km (255 miles) northeast of Nantes, the distance between the two can be covered in four to five hours.
- By rail: If you’re arriving in Nantes by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Nantes Railway Station.
Useful city facts
- Located near the Bay of Biscay (which is part of the Atlantic Ocean), Nantes has a Western European oceanic climate with moderate to warm summers and mild winters. The average temperature is 19.6°C (67.3°F) in June and July, the warmest months, and 6.1°C (43°F) in January, the coldest month. Precipitation is at highest from October to January.
- Nantes has more than 100 public parks, gardens, and other green areas. The oldest and the most famous of them is the Jardin des Plantes, a botanical garden that is home to both native and exotic, tropical species. The combination of relatively warm weather and high precipitation means Nantes is a great place for rich and varied plant life. Nantes City Council has also created three special eco-districts that aim to provide affordable, ecological housing.
Top destinations and activities
- The Jules Verne Museum. Dedicated to the famous French fantasy and science fiction author who was born in Nantes, this museum has been recently renovated, making it one of the most important places in the city. Here you’ll find many objects, artifacts, and other memorabilia relating to Verne’s fantastical books such as The Mysterious Island, Around the World in Eighty Days, and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. On top of that, the museum’s building also provides an impressive view of the nearby Nantes Port.
- Place du Bouffay. A large square in the central part of the city, Place du Bouffay (and the neighborhood around it) is home to some of the most famous attractions in Nantes, such as the Castle of the Dukes of Brittany, the building of the former Palais de la Bourse, and the medieval Nantes Vieux quarter.
- Nantes Cathedral. Also known as the Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul of Nantes, it is arguably the most famous building in the city. With foundations laid in the 15th century, it took more than 400 years to finish it. The epic result is a mixture of Romanesque and Late Gothic styles that was worth the long wait.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30km/h. Unlike for inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by weather.
- Outside cities and as of May 2019, the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110 km/h, and 2 or 3-lane roads to 90km/h. When it is raining, the limits are respectively lowered to 110km/h, 100km/h, and 80km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50km/h during periods of heavy fog or other times of impaired visibility.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When you are driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2019, hands-free mobile phone use is banned in France and the fines are hefty.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with a letter A and you can recognize them by their red number sign. The fee for using a toll road depends on the specific route, distance traveled, as well as the type of vehicle - trailer cars and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by credit card or in cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road.
Some rental cars are equipped with toll road transponders that can be used at the automatic toll road payment booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with toll road transporters.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Guerande. Known as Gwenrann in the Breton language in which it means the “White land,” Guarande is a medieval town that is still populated but has been kept in its original state. A fortified settlement once frequented by dukes of Brittany, walking past its wooden and stone buildings feels like a journey back in time. On the coast of the Bay of Biscay, Guerande is 79km (49 miles) west of Nantes and can be reached in a little more than one hour.
- Marais Poitevin. Often called the Green Venice, Marais Poitevin is a large wetland area near the seashore about 135km (84 miles) south of Nantes. A regional natural park made up of countless streams and canals, it has some human settlement like small villages and standalone houses, but is also rich with plant, animal, bird, and fish life. A lot of the territory is only navigable by boat.
- Rennes. Capital of the Brittany region, Rennes might not have a lot of famous landmarks, but there are many delights to be found. Places like the Rue du Chapitre, the medieval Portes Mordelaises, and the Le marché des Lices where you can buy local delicacies like snails, crêpes, and oysters, create a special atmosphere that cannot be found anywhere else in France. About 115km (71 miles) north of Nantes, Rennes can be reached in less than two hours.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Nantes is the Renault Twingo. Many travelers also go with the Opel Corsa and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car types are mini, economy, and compact.
- Brittany. Famous for its long rugged beaches, megalithic prehistoric sites, and Celtic heritage, the peninsula of Brittany is one of the unique regions of France in terms of landscape and culture. With plenty of fishing villages, inland hiking paths, and protected natural areas, Brittany is best enjoyed at a slow pace. Brest, the westernmost city of France at the edge of Brittany, is a bit more than a three-hour drive from Nantes.
- Paris. It would be impossible to list even one-tenth of the world-famous landmarks that the French capital has to offer. Coming here is an experience of a lifetime that won’t be lessened by the large crowds of other travelers. About 385km (239 miles) northeast of Nantes, it can be reached by car in four hours.
- French Basque Country. The southwestern part of France is famous for its picturesque coastal towns, unique Basque culture, and, above all, the amazing water sports opportunities it offers. Biarritz, one of the European capitals of surfing, is about a five-hour drive south of Nantes.
Car Rental Prices in Nantes
- Station wagons - from $41 per day
- Large cars - from $42 per day
- Medium cars - from $38 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $55 per day
- Premium cars - from $70 per day
- Small cars - from $28 per day
- SUVs - from $56 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Try these tricks to land a cheap rental car in Nantes:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Nantes is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 32% cheaper than the yearly average and about 48% cheaper than renting a car in July.
Top 20 Cities near Nantes
Paris Car Rentals from $39.53 per day362.1 km / 225.0 miles away
Nice Car Rentals from $20.51 per day789.9 km / 490.8 miles away
Lyon Car Rentals from $26.59 per day517.0 km / 321.2 miles away
Marseille Car Rentals from $24.57 per day696.7 km / 432.9 miles away
Toulouse Car Rentals from $42.51 per day457.3 km / 284.1 miles away
Lille Car Rentals from $26.92 per day511.1 km / 317.6 miles away
Montpellier Car Rentals from $24.14 per day582.6 km / 362.0 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $39.75 per day267.8 km / 166.4 miles away
Biarritz Car Rentals from $33.45 per day410.2 km / 254.9 miles away
Toulon Car Rentals from $30.97 per day741.1 km / 460.5 miles away
Nimes Car Rentals from $54.21 per day602.7 km / 374.5 miles away
Perpignan Car Rentals from $33.82 per day608.7 km / 378.2 miles away
Strasbourg Car Rentals from $34.71 per day714.2 km / 443.8 miles away
Grenoble Car Rentals from $37.70 per day569.4 km / 353.8 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Car Rentals from $26.54 per day679.8 km / 422.4 miles away
Cannes Car Rentals from $21.85 per day784.1 km / 487.2 miles away
Massy Car Rentals from $33.80 per day338.1 km / 210.1 miles away
Rennes Car Rentals from $25.94 per day102.2 km / 63.5 miles away
Caen Car Rentals from $24.88 per day240.1 km / 149.2 miles away
Angers Car Rentals from $39.30 per day107.4 km / 66.7 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Nantes
Nantes Train Station Car Rentals from $25.55 per day
Nantes Airport Car Rentals from $25.55 per day8.4 km / 5.2 miles away
Angers Train Station Car Rentals from $19.14 per day79.2 km / 49.2 miles away
Rennes–Saint-Jacques Airport Car Rentals from $25.94 per day96.1 km / 59.7 miles away
Angers - Loire Airport Car Rentals from $39.30 per day100.1 km / 62.2 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $20.90 per day101.6 km / 63.1 miles away
La Rochelle – Île de Ré Airport Car Rentals from $33.32 per day118.4 km / 73.6 miles away
Lorient Train Station Car Rentals from $19.93 per day149.6 km / 93.0 miles away
Lorient South Brittany Airport Car Rentals from $19.93 per day154.9 km / 96.2 miles away
Poitiers-Biard Airport Car Rentals from $33.89 per day156.9 km / 97.5 miles away
St Malo Train Station Car Rentals from $20.97 per day162.6 km / 101.0 miles away
Saint-Brieuc Train Station Car Rentals from $19.93 per day170.0 km / 105.6 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $28.21 per day182.2 km / 113.2 miles away
Quimper Train Station Car Rentals from $22.85 per day209.8 km / 130.4 miles away
Angouleme Train Station Car Rentals from $28.21 per day217.6 km / 135.2 miles away
Caen Airport Car Rentals from $24.88 per day232.0 km / 144.2 miles away
Caen Train Station Car Rentals from $19.14 per day235.1 km / 146.1 miles away
Brest Airport Car Rentals from $23.66 per day254.2 km / 158.0 miles away
Limoges Bellegarde Airport Car Rentals from $79.35 per day257.1 km / 159.7 miles away
Limoges-Bénédictins Train Station Car Rentals from $36.07 per day263.9 km / 164.0 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Nantes?
What’s the usual rental length in Nantes?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Nantes?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Enterprise||Opel Combo||5||3||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Enterprise||Renault Clio||3||3||Small cars|
|Europcar||Toyota Aygo||5||2||Small cars|
|Alamo||Peugeot 5008 5+2||5||People Carriers/Vans|
|SIXT||Peugeot 208||4||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Fiat 500||2||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|Thrifty||Peugeot 2008||5||2||Medium cars|
|Avis||Fiat 500||2||1||Small cars|