Car Rental in Nantes
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Nantes?
Nantes is a great place to rent a car. Its historic center has many impressive buildings from different historical periods while just outside the city borders there are nice green areas for relaxation. Near both the Bay of Biscay and large cities like Paris and Bordeaux, Nantes can also serve as a great base from which to explore the rest of France.
One-Way Car Rentals in Nantes
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Nantes and drop off in another city include:
- From Nantes to Rennes - 127 offers from US$ 41.36 per day
- From Nantes to Paris - 128 offers from US$ 42.35 per day
- From Nantes to Toulouse - 56 offers from US$ 44.68 per day
- From Nantes to Bordeaux - 79 offers from US$ 44.68 per day
Top ways to enter Nantes
- Nantes Atlantique Airport: Handling more than 6 million travelers every year, Nantes Airport is served by more than 25 different airlines, including some low-cost carriers. Located in the nearby town of Bouguenais, the airport is just 8km (5 miles) southwest of the city center.
- Rennes-Saint-Jacques Airport: Small and cozy, Rennes Airport offers a number of domestic flights, as well as air connections to the Netherlands, Ireland, the United Kingdom, Portugal, Spain, and other countries. Also known as Rennes Bretagne Airport, it is about 104km (64 miles) north of Nantes.
- La Rochelle Airport: Located in the nearby Charente-Maritime Region, La Rochelle Airport serves only 240,000 travelers per year, but the airport is quite active during the summer months when it hosts the international flights of six different airlines. About 137km (85 miles) south of Nantes, the airport can be reached in 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport: Serving the French capital, CDG is the second-busiest airport in Europe and in the top 10 in the world. The airport offers flights to and from countless destinations in all parts of the world. About 410km (255 miles) northeast of Nantes, the distance between the two can be covered in four to five hours.
- By rail: If you’re arriving in Nantes by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Nantes Railway Station.
Useful city facts
- Located near the Bay of Biscay (which is part of the Atlantic Ocean), Nantes has a Western European oceanic climate with moderate to warm summers and mild winters. The average temperature is 19.6°C (67.3°F) in June and July, the warmest months, and 6.1°C (43°F) in January, the coldest month. Precipitation is at highest from October to January.
- Nantes has more than 100 public parks, gardens, and other green areas. The oldest and the most famous of them is the Jardin des Plantes, a botanical garden that is home to both native and exotic, tropical species. The combination of relatively warm weather and high precipitation means Nantes is a great place for rich and varied plant life. Nantes City Council has also created three special eco-districts that aim to provide affordable, ecological housing.
Top destinations and activities
- The Jules Verne Museum. Dedicated to the famous French fantasy and science fiction author who was born in Nantes, this museum has been recently renovated, making it one of the most important places in the city. Here you’ll find many objects, artifacts, and other memorabilia relating to Verne’s fantastical books such as The Mysterious Island, Around the World in Eighty Days, and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. On top of that, the museum’s building also provides an impressive view of the nearby Nantes Port.
- Place du Bouffay. A large square in the central part of the city, Place du Bouffay (and the neighborhood around it) is home to some of the most famous attractions in Nantes, such as the Castle of the Dukes of Brittany, the building of the former Palais de la Bourse, and the medieval Nantes Vieux quarter.
- Nantes Cathedral. Also known as the Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul of Nantes, it is arguably the most famous building in the city. With foundations laid in the 15th century, it took more than 400 years to finish it. The epic result is a mixture of Romanesque and Late Gothic styles that was worth the long wait.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30km/h. Unlike for inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by weather.
- Outside cities and as of May 2019, the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110 km/h, and 2 or 3-lane roads to 90km/h. When it is raining, the limits are respectively lowered to 110km/h, 100km/h, and 80km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50km/h during periods of heavy fog or other times of impaired visibility.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When you are driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2019, hands-free mobile phone use is banned in France and the fines are hefty.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with a letter A and you can recognize them by their red number sign. The fee for using a toll road depends on the specific route, distance traveled, as well as the type of vehicle - trailer cars and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by credit card or in cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road.
Some rental cars are equipped with toll road transponders that can be used at the automatic toll road payment booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with toll road transporters.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Guerande. Known as Gwenrann in the Breton language in which it means the “White land,” Guarande is a medieval town that is still populated but has been kept in its original state. A fortified settlement once frequented by dukes of Brittany, walking past its wooden and stone buildings feels like a journey back in time. On the coast of the Bay of Biscay, Guerande is 79km (49 miles) west of Nantes and can be reached in a little more than one hour.
- Marais Poitevin. Often called the Green Venice, Marais Poitevin is a large wetland area near the seashore about 135km (84 miles) south of Nantes. A regional natural park made up of countless streams and canals, it has some human settlement like small villages and standalone houses, but is also rich with plant, animal, bird, and fish life. A lot of the territory is only navigable by boat.
- Rennes. Capital of the Brittany region, Rennes might not have a lot of famous landmarks, but there are many delights to be found. Places like the Rue du Chapitre, the medieval Portes Mordelaises, and the Le marché des Lices where you can buy local delicacies like snails, crêpes, and oysters, create a special atmosphere that cannot be found anywhere else in France. About 115km (71 miles) north of Nantes, Rennes can be reached in less than two hours.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Nantes is the Renault Twingo. Many travelers also go with the Opel Corsa and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car types are mini, economy, and compact.
- Brittany. Famous for its long rugged beaches, megalithic prehistoric sites, and Celtic heritage, the peninsula of Brittany is one of the unique regions of France in terms of landscape and culture. With plenty of fishing villages, inland hiking paths, and protected natural areas, Brittany is best enjoyed at a slow pace. Brest, the westernmost city of France at the edge of Brittany, is a bit more than a three-hour drive from Nantes.
- Paris. It would be impossible to list even one-tenth of the world-famous landmarks that the French capital has to offer. Coming here is an experience of a lifetime that won’t be lessened by the large crowds of other travelers. About 385km (239 miles) northeast of Nantes, it can be reached by car in four hours.
- French Basque Country. The southwestern part of France is famous for its picturesque coastal towns, unique Basque culture, and, above all, the amazing water sports opportunities it offers. Biarritz, one of the European capitals of surfing, is about a five-hour drive south of Nantes.
Car Rental Prices in Nantes
- Station wagons - from $73 per day
- Large cars - from $103 per day
- Medium cars - from $72 per day
- Vans - from $190 per day
- Premium cars - from $163 per day
- Small cars - from $71 per day
- SUVs - from $118 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Try these tricks to land a cheap rental car in Nantes:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Nantes is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 32% cheaper than the yearly average and about 48% cheaper than renting a car in July.
Top 19 Cities near Nantes
Paris Car Rentals from $71.07 per day342.6 km / 212.9 miles away
Nice Car Rentals from $74.67 per day789.8 km / 490.8 miles away
Marseille Car Rentals from $43.41 per day696.3 km / 432.6 miles away
Lyon Car Rentals from $126.70 per day520.7 km / 323.6 miles away
Toulouse Car Rentals from $150.21 per day459.8 km / 285.7 miles away
Lille Car Rentals from $36.63 per day503.3 km / 312.7 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $56.41 per day272.4 km / 169.3 miles away
Montpellier Car Rentals from $83.40 per day589.1 km / 366.1 miles away
Cannes Car Rentals from $76.52 per day782.5 km / 486.2 miles away
Biarritz Car Rentals from $52.79 per day416.2 km / 258.6 miles away
Beauvais Car Rentals from $59.75 per day367.7 km / 228.5 miles away
Perpignan Car Rentals from $42.96 per day606.0 km / 376.6 miles away
Strasbourg Car Rentals from $36.07 per day700.0 km / 435.0 miles away
Limoges Car Rentals from $93.72 per day256.7 km / 159.5 miles away
Toulon Car Rentals from $56.50 per day740.5 km / 460.1 miles away
Béziers Car Rentals from $76.37 per day577.4 km / 358.8 miles away
621.6 km / 386.2 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Car Rentals from $99.72 per day679.2 km / 422.1 miles away
Grenoble Car Rentals from $33.12 per day601.7 km / 373.9 miles away
Top 17 Locations near Nantes
Nantes Chantenay Railway Station Car Rentals from $73.87 per day4.2 km / 2.6 miles away
Nantes North East Car Rentals from $73.87 per day4.5 km / 2.8 miles away
Nantes Atlantique Airport Car Rentals from $47.30 per day7.8 km / 4.8 miles away
Nantes Saint-Herblain Car Rentals from $106.83 per day7.8 km / 4.8 miles away
Nantes Saint-Aignan-Grandlieu Car Rentals from $64.56 per day11.2 km / 7.0 miles away
Challans North Car Rentals from $65.34 per day46.7 km / 29.0 miles away
Cholet Railway Station Car Rentals from $84.31 per day53.4 km / 33.2 miles away
La Barre de Monts Heliport Car Rentals from $63.69 per day54.6 km / 33.9 miles away
Angers Train Station Car Rentals from $42.76 per day79.5 km / 49.4 miles away
Rennes–Saint-Jacques Airport Car Rentals from $62.32 per day96.8 km / 60.1 miles away
Angers - Loire Airport Car Rentals from $35.49 per day100.4 km / 62.4 miles away
Rennes Cesson-Sevigne Car Rentals from $56.32 per day100.8 km / 62.7 miles away
Laval Railway Station Car Rentals from $43.41 per day112.7 km / 70.0 miles away
La Rochelle – Île de Ré Airport Car Rentals from $53.00 per day117.8 km / 73.2 miles away
Auray Train Station Car Rentals from $58.22 per day121.3 km / 75.4 miles away
Lorient Train Station Car Rentals from $64.29 per day149.8 km / 93.1 miles away
Poitiers-Biard Airport Car Rentals from $99.72 per day156.7 km / 97.4 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Nantes?
What’s the usual rental length in Nantes?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Nantes?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|RentScape||Peugeot 208||5||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|RentScape||Ford Focus||5||1||Medium cars|
|Europcar||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Hertz||Renault Clio||5||3||Small cars|
|RentScape||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Avis||Fiat 500||2||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Opel Corsa||4||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Peugeot 208||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.