Car Rental in Nantes
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Nantes?
Nantes is a great place to rent a car. Its historic center has many impressive buildings from different historical periods while just outside the city borders there are nice green areas for relaxation. Near both the Gulf of Morbihan and large cities like Paris and Bordeaux, Nantes can also serve as a great base from which to explore the rest of France.
One-Way Car Rentals in Nantes
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Nantes and drop off in another city include:
- From Nantes to Paris - 128 offers from $42.47 per day
- From Nantes to Rennes - 127 offers from $41.47 per day
- From Nantes to Bordeaux - 79 offers from $44.80 per day
- From Nantes to Toulouse - 56 offers from $44.80 per day
Top ways to enter Nantes
- Nantes Atlantique Airport: Handling more than 6 million travelers every year, Nantes Airport is served by more than 25 different airlines, including some low-cost carriers. Located in the nearby town of Bouguenais, the airport is just 8km (5 miles) southwest of the city center.
- Rennes-Saint-Jacques Airport: Small and cozy, Rennes Airport offers a number of domestic flights, as well as air connections to the Netherlands, Ireland, the United Kingdom, Portugal, Spain, and other countries. Also known as Rennes Bretagne Airport, it is about 104km (64 miles) north of Nantes.
- La Rochelle Airport: Located in the nearby Charente-Maritime Region, La Rochelle Airport serves only 240,000 travelers per year, but the airport is quite active during the summer months when it hosts the international flights of six different airlines. About 137km (85 miles) south of Nantes, the airport can be reached in 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport: Serving the French capital, CDG is the second-busiest airport in Europe and in the top 10 in the world. The airport offers flights to and from countless destinations in all parts of the world. About 410km (255 miles) northeast of Nantes, the distance between the two can be covered in four to five hours.
- By rail: If you’re arriving in Nantes by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Nantes Railway Station.
- Located near the Gulf of Morbihan (which is South of Brittany), Nantes has a Western European oceanic climate with moderate to warm summers and mild winters. The average temperature is 19.6°C (67.3°F) in June and July, the warmest months, and 6.1°C (43°F) in January, the coldest month. Precipitation is at highest from October to January.
- Nantes has more than 100 public parks, gardens, and other green areas. The oldest and the most famous of them is the Jardin des Plantes, a botanical garden that is home to both native and exotic, tropical species. The combination of relatively warm weather and high precipitation means Nantes is a great place for rich and varied plant life. Nantes City Council has also created three special eco-districts that aim to provide affordable, ecological housing.
Top destinations and activities
- Les Machines de l’Île. This project has become the number one attraction in Nantes. While rehabilitating the former docks of the port of Nantes, Les Machines de l’Île pay tribute to Jules Verne’s “Invented Worlds.” Enter the Galerie, the living space showcasing a veritable bestiary of machines, embark on the Grand Elephant’s back for a unique journey or plunge into the imaginary universe of an incredible mechanical aquarium, the Carrousel des mondes marins.
- Place du Bouffay. A large square in the central part of the city, Place du Bouffay (and the neighborhood around it) is home to some of the most famous attractions in Nantes, such as the Castle of the Dukes of Brittany, the building of the former Palais de la Bourse, and the medieval Nantes Vieux quartier.
- Nantes Cathedral. Also known as the Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul of Nantes, it is arguably the most famous building in the city (along with the Castle of the Dukes of Brittany, which is close by). With foundations laid in the 15th century, it took more than 400 years to finish it. The epic result is a mixture of Romanesque and Late Gothic styles that was worth the long wait.
- The Jules Verne Museum. Dedicated to the famous French fantasy and science fiction author who was born in Nantes, this museum has been recently renovated. Here you’ll find many objects, artifacts, and other memorabilia relating to Verne’s fantastical books such as The Mysterious Island, Around the World in Eighty Days, and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. On top of that, the museum’s building also provides an impressive view of the nearby Nantes Port.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit in cities is 50km/h, although a major part of Nantes is limited at 30km/h. Unlike for inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by weather.
- Outside cities and as of May 2019, the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110 km/h, and 2 or 3-lane roads to 90km/h. When it is raining, the limits are respectively lowered to 110km/h, 100km/h, and 80km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50km/h during periods of heavy fog or other times of impaired visibility.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When you are driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2015, mobile phone use while driving is strictly regulated. Holding a mobile phone in hand while driving is prohibited, as well as wearing any device in one’s ear (except a medical device). Fines are hefty. If you are involved in a car accident without respecting the above restrictions, you may face the suspension of your driver's license.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with a letter A and you can recognize them by their blue sign. The fee for using a toll road depends on the specific route, distance traveled, as well as the type of vehicle - trailer cars and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by credit card or in cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road.
Some rental cars are equipped with toll road transponders that can be used at the automatic toll road payment booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with toll road transponders.
See the official French toll road website for more information. Use the website's toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for day trips
- Guérande. Known as Gwenrann in the Breton language in which it means the “White land,” Guérande is a medieval town that is still populated but has been kept in its original state. A fortified settlement once frequented by dukes of Brittany, walking past its wooden and stone buildings feels like a journey back in time. On the coast of the Atlantic Ocean, Guérande is 79km (49 miles) west of Nantes and can be reached in a little more than one hour.
- Marais Poitevin. Often called the Green Venice, Marais Poitevin is a large wetland area near the seashore about 135km (84 miles) south of Nantes. A regional natural park made up of countless streams and canals, it has some human settlements like small villages and standalone houses, but is also rich with plant, animal, bird, and fish life. A lot of the territory is only navigable by boat.
- Rennes. Capital of the Brittany region, Rennes might not have a lot of famous landmarks, but there are many delights to be found. Places like the Rue du Chapitre, the medieval Portes Mordelaises, and Le marché des Lices where you can buy local delicacies like seafood and shellfish, charcuterie, cheese and butter, ciders, and of course galettes-saucisses, create a special atmosphere that cannot be found anywhere else in France. About 115km (71 miles) north of Nantes, Rennes can be reached in less than two hours.
- Angers. The city of Angers is famous for its castle — known for its characteristic towers (of which there are 17), it is perhaps the most impressive medieval building in this part of the country. The castle is also where the Apocalypse Tapestry is located. Other reasons to visit Angers include a number of art museums and a rich historical atmosphere. The drive from Nantes takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Nantes is the Renault Twingo. Many travelers also go with the Opel Corsa and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car types are mini, economy, and compact.
- Brittany. Famous for its long rugged beaches, megalithic prehistoric sites, and Celtic heritage, the peninsula of Brittany is one of the unique regions of France in terms of landscape and culture. With plenty of fishing villages, inland hiking paths, and protected natural areas, Brittany is best enjoyed at a slow pace. Brest, the westernmost city of France at the edge of Brittany, is a bit more than a three-hour drive from Nantes.
- Paris. It would be impossible to list even one-tenth of the world-famous landmarks that the French capital has to offer. Coming here is an experience of a lifetime that won’t be lessened by the large crowds of other travelers. About 385km (239 miles) northeast of Nantes, it can be reached by car in four hours.
- French Basque Country. The southwestern part of France is famous for its picturesque coastal towns, unique Basque culture, and, above all, the amazing water sports opportunities it offers. Biarritz, one of the European capitals of surfing, is about a five-hour drive south of Nantes.
- Mont Saint-Michel. An island and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Mont Saint-Michel is one of the most interesting attractions in the Lower Normandy region. Known for its spectacular abbey, the island is only accessible on foot, though there is a parking lot for those arriving with a vehicle. The only safe way to reach Mont Saint-Michel is over the designated bridge that connects it to the mainland — even when the tide is low, it is very easy to get stuck in the quicksand if you try to just drive over land. The drive from Nantes to Mont Saint-Michel takes about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Car Rental Prices in Nantes
- Convertibles - from $151 per day
- Station wagons - from $85 per day
- Large cars - from $39 per day
- Medium cars - from $39 per day
- Vans - from $55 per day
- Premium cars - from $75 per day
- Small cars - from $37 per day
- SUVs - from $55 per day
Try these tricks to land a cheap rental car in Nantes:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Nantes is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 32% cheaper than the yearly average and about 48% cheaper than renting a car in July.
Top 20 Cities near Nantes
Angers Car Rentals from $45.15 per day86.3 km / 53.6 miles away
Rennes Car Rentals from $41.27 per day105.4 km / 65.5 miles away
La Rochelle Car Rentals from $45.75 per day113.2 km / 70.3 miles away
Saumur Car Rentals from $73.62 per day116.1 km / 72.1 miles away
Lorient Car Rentals from $37.15 per day148.0 km / 92.0 miles away
St Malo Car Rentals from $41.27 per day168.3 km / 104.6 miles away
Quimper Car Rentals from $51.85 per day208.0 km / 129.2 miles away
Angouleme Car Rentals from $40.63 per day215.5 km / 133.9 miles away
Caen Car Rentals from $39.52 per day243.2 km / 151.1 miles away
Brest Car Rentals from $35.92 per day253.9 km / 157.8 miles away
Limoges Car Rentals from $46.74 per day257.5 km / 160.0 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $44.57 per day267.8 km / 166.4 miles away
Orleans Car Rentals from $33.28 per day274.8 km / 170.8 miles away
Cherbourg Car Rentals from $39.52 per day276.0 km / 171.5 miles away
Le Havre Car Rentals from $39.52 per day290.3 km / 180.4 miles away
Bergerac Car Rentals from $59.87 per day307.1 km / 190.8 miles away
Rouen Car Rentals from $39.52 per day321.6 km / 199.8 miles away
Brive Car Rentals from $56.76 per day325.8 km / 202.4 miles away
Massy Car Rentals from $33.39 per day338.1 km / 210.1 miles away
Paris Car Rentals from $32.23 per day371.0 km / 230.5 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Nantes
Nantes Atlantique Airport Car Rentals from $36.93 per day
Angers Train Station Car Rentals from $45.15 per day86.3 km / 53.6 miles away
Rennes–Saint-Jacques Airport Car Rentals from $41.27 per day102.2 km / 63.5 miles away
La Rochelle – Île de Ré Airport Car Rentals from $45.75 per day113.2 km / 70.3 miles away
Lorient Train Station Car Rentals from $50.14 per day148.0 km / 92.0 miles away
Angouleme Train Station Car Rentals from $56.76 per day215.5 km / 133.9 miles away
Caen Airport Car Rentals from $39.52 per day240.1 km / 149.2 miles away
Caen Train Station Car Rentals from $39.52 per day243.2 km / 151.1 miles away
Brest Airport Car Rentals from $54.97 per day253.9 km / 157.8 miles away
Limoges Bellegarde Airport Car Rentals from $115.70 per day257.5 km / 160.0 miles away
Bordeaux–Mérignac Airport Car Rentals from $44.57 per day267.8 km / 166.4 miles away
Bergerac Airport Car Rentals from $84.85 per day307.1 km / 190.8 miles away
Rouen Train Station Car Rentals from $58.15 per day323.8 km / 201.2 miles away
325.8 km / 202.4 miles away
Paris Evry Car Rentals from $40.84 per day342.5 km / 212.8 miles away
Paris Orly Airport Car Rentals from $59.77 per day344.2 km / 213.9 miles away
Paris Porte Maillot Car Rentals from $55.11 per day347.0 km / 215.6 miles away
Paris-Gare de Lyon Train Station Car Rentals from $38.25 per day350.5 km / 217.8 miles away
Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport Car Rentals from $56.17 per day371.0 km / 230.5 miles away
Beauvais–Tillé Airport Car Rentals from $53.90 per day375.4 km / 233.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Nantes?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Nantes?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Nantes?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||8|
|Popular suppliers||RentScape, Alamo, Europcar, SIXT, Enterprise|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, Large cars, Vans|
|Lowest price||$37 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|RentScape||Peugeot 208||5||1||Small cars|
|RentScape||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|RentScape||Peugeot 2008||5||2||Medium cars|
|RentScape||Ford Focus||5||1||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|Thrifty||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|RentScape||Peugeot 2008||5||2||Medium cars|
|Thrifty||Renault Clio||4||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Fiat 500||2||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.