Car Rental in Perpignan
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Perpignan?
Perpignan is a great place to visit. From unique medieval architecture and contemporary museums to a number of nearby Mediterranean beaches, the city has something for everyone. Perpignan is also the capital of the Catalan community in France and has plenty of landmarks and cultural centers for those who wish to learn more about it.
One-Way Car Rentals in Perpignan
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Perpignan and drop off in another city include:
- From Perpignan to Carcassonne - 46 offers from US$ 43.21 per day
- From Perpignan to Paris - 59 offers from US$ 44.05 per day
- From Perpignan to Nice - 46 offers from US$ 44.05 per day
- From Perpignan to Turin - 7 offers from US$ 443.14 per day
- From Perpignan to Lille - 13 offers from US$ 48.68 per day
Top ways to enter Perpignan
- Perpignan Airport: One of the smallest international airports in France, Perpignan-Rivesaltes handles about 400,000 travelers every year. The airport hosts a number of domestic flights, as well as flights to and from Morocco, the United Kingdom, and Belgium. Located 7km (4.3 miles) north of the city center, the airport can be reached in about 10 minutes.
- Montpellier Airport: One of the fastest-growing airports in the country, Montpellier–Méditerranée handled nearly 2 million travelers in 2018. The airport is especially active during the summer months when it hosts flights by about 20 different airlines. Located 160km (100 miles) northeast of Perpignan, Montpellier Airport can be reached in about 90 minutes.
- Toulouse Airport: Serving France’s fourth-largest city, Toulouse-Blagnac Airport handles nearly ten million travelers every year. The airport is a large hub for the low-cost carriers easyJet, Ryanair, and Volotea and is served by around 25 other airlines. Located 215km (133 miles) northwest of Perpignan, the airport takes 2 hours and 30 minutes to reach.
- Barcelona El Prat Airport: The second-busiest in Spain and among the largest in Europe, in 2018, El Prat Airport handled more than 50 million travelers for the first time in its history. A focus city for a number of large airlines, it offers flights to and from destinations in Europe, Africa, the Americas, and Asia. Barcelona El Prat Airport is just 205km (128 miles) south of Perpignan and can be reached in about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Since you’d have to cross the border between Spain and France, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it. If not, you can travel by public transportation and pick up your rental car upon arrival in Perpignan.
- By rail: If you arrive in Perpignan by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Gare de Perpignan railway station.
Useful city facts
- Located on rivers Têt and Basse near the sea coast, Perpignan has a Mediterranean climate with hot summers and short, mild winters. The average high temperature is 29°C (85°F) in July, the warmest month, and 12°C (54°F) in January. Its summers are drier than its winters, but the precipitation differences between the seasons are not as stark as in some of the nearby coastal cities of Italy and Spain.
- Just 8km (5 miles) from the Mediterranean, Perpignan is a popular beach destination. Some well-known spots include Leucate Beach and La Franqui Beach which are great for water sports like surfing, Torreilles Beach which attracts visitors with impressive sand dunes, and Canet Beach which has the largest crowds. With a rental car, you can easily travel up or down the coast and explore the best that the Mediterranean shoreline has to offer.
- La Gare de Perpignan, or Perpignan Train Station, is not only a public transit hub, but also a famous painting by Salvador Dalí. The Spanish surrealist created it shortly after experiencing a “cosmogonic ecstasy” when visiting Perpignan in 1963; he would later always refer to the station as the center of the universe. The original 3m x 4m painting is now on display in Ludwig Museum in Cologne, Germany, but Perpignan’s visitors can still see the train station itself. Fittingly, it is located at 1 Salvador Dalí Square.
Top destinations and activities
- Perpignan Cathedral. Also known as the Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist, the most famous building of Perpignan took nearly 200 years to build - the first stone was laid in 1324, but the cathedral was only finished in the early 16th Century. Built in the Catalan Gothic style and therefore similar to the famous churches of Barcelona, it is one of the symbols of Perpignan.
- Palace of the Kings of Majorca. An impressive architectural complex, the fortified palace was built in the early 14th century. At the time, Perpignan had been recently made the capital of the Kingdom of Majorca and the building of the palace cemented its status as a center of power. In the 16th century, the palace suffered heavily during the Franco-Spanish wars, but was later restored to its former glory. Today, it is surrounded by beautiful gardens and often serves as a venue for concerts and other cultural events.
- The Aviation Museum. In 1976, a former French war pilot, Charles Notinger, purchased a large vineyard with a dream of turning it into an aviation museum. Now having been open for more than four decades, this small and interesting museum houses a number of French fighter jets as well as some civilian aircraft and different exhibits related to the aviation industry in France.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30km/h. Unlike for inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by weather.
- Outside cities and as of May 2019, the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110km/h, and 2 or 3-lane roads to 90km/h. When it is raining, the limits are respectively lowered to 110km/h, 100km/h, and 80km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50km/h during periods of heavy fog or other times of impaired visibility.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When you are driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2019, hands-free mobile phone use is banned in France and the fines are hefty.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names begin with the letter A and you can recognize them by their red number sign. The price for using a toll road depends on the specific route, distance traveled, as well as the type of vehicle - trailer cars and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by credit card or with cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road that will indicate where you got on. Then you have to pay for the distance you have traveled upon exiting the road.
Some rental cars are equipped with toll transponders that can be used at the automatic toll booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with transponders.
See the official French toll road website for more information. Use the website's toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Haut-Languedoc Regional Nature Park. One of the largest protected areas in Southwestern France, this national park is the perfect place to escape the city. Made up of the Montagne Noire mountain range, deep gorges, and picturesque rivers, it is home to a large number of bird species and the mouflon wild sheep. Located 115km (70 miles) north of Perpignan, it can be reached in about 90 minutes.
- Beziers. An idyllic French town, Beziers is split into two halves by the Canal du Midi. Built in the 17th century, it connects the Mediterranean Sea to the Atlantic Ocean, and is one of the very few canals in the world that has a UNESCO World Heritage status. In Beziers, you can take a nice and long walk along the canal which will let you see much of the city. Beziers is also famous for its architecture, of which the Saint-Nazaire cathedral and the Saint-Jean-de Aureilhan tower are examples. Located 95km (59 miles) north of Perpignan, Beziers can be reached in about one hour.
- Carcassonne. The city of Carcassonne is best known for its impressive fortifications. Known as Cité de Carcassonne, the fortified citadel was first built in the 3rd century during the Gallo-Roman period. It was later ruled by the Visigoths, Moors, and Franks, all of whom added new fortifications but left the initial structure intact. Located 115km (70 miles) northwest of Perpignan, Carcassonne can be reached in about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Perpignan is the Opel Corsa, closely followed by the Citroen C4 and the Renault Clio. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact, and intermediate.
- Catalonia. Rich in both nature and culture, Catalonia is one of the most interesting regions of Europe. From sparsely populated mountainous areas to scenic vineyards and from the beaches of Costa Brava to the architecture of Gaudi, Catalonia has something for every traveler. Barcelona, it’s largest city and capital, is just 195km (120 miles) south of Perpignan and can be reached in about two hours. Since you’d have to cross the border between France and Spain, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it. If not, you can go by public transportation and pick up a rental car after arriving in Barcelona.
- Andorra. Hidden high in the Pyrenees between France and Spain, Andorra is one of Europe’s smallest countries. But that should not stop anyone from visiting, as its great skiing resorts, medieval villages, and stunning mountain scenery are more than enough reasons to go and see it if you’re nearby. Andorra la Vella, the country’s capital, is 170km (105 miles) from Perpignan and can be reached in 2 hours and 40 minutes. Like with Spain, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit you crossing the border.
- Marseille. France’s second largest city is located right in the heart of the French Mediterranean. You’ll find countless beautiful beaches to the east and west of Marseille, but the city itself also has plenty to offer including the old Vieux Port area, Marseille Cathedral and Longchamp Palace which houses some classy museums. After seeing Marseille, you can travel further to visit other famous destinations such as Cannes and Saint-Tropez. Located 318km (197 miles) east of Perpignan, Marseille can be reached in about 3 hours.
Car Rental Prices in Perpignan
- Station wagons - from $39 per day
- Large cars - from $41 per day
- Medium cars - from $45 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $50 per day
- Premium cars - from $73 per day
- Small cars - from $27 per day
- SUVs - from $51 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Follow these tips and land a great rental car in Perpignan:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Perpignan is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 44% cheaper than the yearly average and 63% cheaper than renting a vehicle in July.
Top 20 Cities near Perpignan
Paris Car Rentals from $18.07 per day693.4 km / 430.8 miles away
Lyon Car Rentals from $13.63 per day369.0 km / 229.3 miles away
Nice Car Rentals from $15.60 per day366.8 km / 227.9 miles away
Marseille Car Rentals from $16.27 per day213.3 km / 132.5 miles away
Toulouse Car Rentals from $17.08 per day157.2 km / 97.7 miles away
Lille Car Rentals from $16.58 per day870.0 km / 540.6 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $17.08 per day369.5 km / 229.6 miles away
Bastia Car Rentals from $19.23 per day541.3 km / 336.4 miles away
Montpellier Car Rentals from $20.04 per day128.9 km / 80.1 miles away
Nantes Car Rentals from $20.60 per day604.2 km / 375.4 miles away
Ajaccio Car Rentals from $19.23 per day495.5 km / 307.9 miles away
Grenoble Car Rentals from $37.97 per day351.8 km / 218.6 miles away
Toulon Car Rentals from $20.42 per day252.8 km / 157.1 miles away
Massy Car Rentals from $17.20 per day668.1 km / 415.1 miles away
Figari Car Rentals from $22.12 per day531.6 km / 330.3 miles away
Strasbourg Car Rentals from $18.60 per day743.8 km / 462.1 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Car Rentals from $13.14 per day214.0 km / 133.0 miles away
Cannes Car Rentals from $13.38 per day349.0 km / 216.9 miles away
Rennes Car Rentals from $20.42 per day692.9 km / 430.5 miles away
Caen Car Rentals from $20.42 per day759.7 km / 472.1 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Perpignan
Perpignan Airport Car Rentals from $22.83 per day2.4 km / 1.5 miles away
Perpignan Train Station Car Rentals from $22.83 per day2.8 km / 1.8 miles away
Carcassonne Airport Car Rentals from $21.72 per day72.2 km / 44.9 miles away
Béziers Train Station Car Rentals from $23.98 per day73.6 km / 45.7 miles away
Beziers Airport Car Rentals from $21.27 per day77.0 km / 47.9 miles away
Montpellier Train Station Car Rentals from $21.00 per day127.2 km / 79.1 miles away
Montpellier-Méditerranée Airport Car Rentals from $20.04 per day129.7 km / 80.6 miles away
Toulouse Train Station Car Rentals from $16.27 per day152.5 km / 94.7 miles away
Toulouse Barriere de Paris Car Rentals from $26.73 per day156.0 km / 96.9 miles away
Toulouse-Blagnac Airport Car Rentals from $17.08 per day159.5 km / 99.1 miles away
Nimes Airport Car Rentals from $37.53 per day169.3 km / 105.2 miles away
Manduel Train Station Car Rentals from $23.40 per day179.2 km / 111.4 miles away
Rodez Airport Car Rentals from $46.56 per day190.2 km / 118.2 miles away
Avignon Train Station Car Rentals from $18.07 per day203.6 km / 126.5 miles away
Marseille Provence Airport Car Rentals from $17.58 per day205.3 km / 127.6 miles away
Marseille-Saint-Charles Train Station Car Rentals from $17.08 per day213.0 km / 132.4 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Train Station Car Rentals from $13.14 per day213.8 km / 132.8 miles away
Tarbes-Lourdes-Pyrenees Airport Car Rentals from $26.63 per day240.5 km / 149.5 miles away
Aurillac Airport Car Rentals from $46.56 per day244.1 km / 151.7 miles away
Agen Train Station Car Rentals from $26.63 per day246.3 km / 153.1 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Perpignan?
What’s the usual rental length in Perpignan?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Perpignan?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Alamo||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Toyota Aygo||3||1||Small cars|
|Thrifty||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Citroen C3||4||2||Small cars|
|SIXT||Fiat 500||2||1||Small cars|
|Enterprise||Opel Combo||5||3||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Opel Corsa||2||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Opel Insignia||4||3||Large cars|
|Alamo||Peugeot 5008 5+2||5||People Carriers/Vans|
|Keddy||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|