Car Rental in Carcassonne
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Carcassonne?
Carcassonne is a great place to visit. Though best known for its fortified city center, it has much more to enjoy including ancient historic sites, unique museums, religious architecture, and delicious local cuisine. Located near both the Mediterranean and the Pyrenees mountain range, it also offers plenty to outdoors lovers.
One-Way Car Rentals in Carcassonne
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Carcassonne and drop off in another city include:
- From Carcassonne to Beauvais - 12 offers from US$ 51.77 per day
Top ways to enter Carcassonne
- Carcassonne Airport: A small international airport, as of August 2019, it is only served by one airline, Ryanair. The company provides flights to and from Belgium, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, and Portugal. Located just 4km (2.5 miles) west of the city center, the airport can be reached in ten minutes or less.
- Perpignan Airport: Also known as Llabanère and Perpignan–Rivesaltes, the airport is served by eight different airlines. Perpignan Airport is especially active during the summer months when it is served by seven different airlines. Located 110km (68 miles) southeast of Carcassonne, the airport can be reached in 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Toulouse Airport: Also known as Toulouse–Blagnac, the airport serving the capital of Occitanie handles nearly ten million travelers every year. Served by around 20 different airlines, it offers flights to 75 different destinations, mostly in Europe and some in North Africa. Located 104km (64 miles) northwest of Carcassonne, the airport can be reached in 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Beziers Airport: Another small international airport in Southwestern France, Béziers Cap d'Agde handles about 300,000 travelers every year. Only served by Ryanair, it provides flights to and from Brussels, London, Stockholm, and other European cities. The airport is 100km (62 miles) west of Carcassonne and can be reached in 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Montpellier Airport: Located near the Mediterranean Coast, Montpellier Airport handles nearly 2 million travelers every year. The airport is served by around 15 different airlines, including low-cost carriers easyJet and Volotea. 155km (96 miles) northeast of Carcassonne, it can be reached in about 90 minutes.
Useful city facts
- Although not located on the coast, Carcassonne enjoys a Mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers and mild, wet winters. The average high temperature is 29°C (84°F) in July, the warmest month, and 10°C (50°F) in January. The city experiences at least a couple of snowy days every January and February.
- Carcassonne is a famous gastronomic destination, known for its special ways of cooking well-known French dishes. Try cassoulet, a casserole of pork sausage, beans, and duck meat, and Brandade de morue, cod with milk, vegetables, and lemons. Make sure to also taste the region’s great cheeses and olives; and if you’re done driving for the day, sample one of the delicious local wines.
Top destinations and activities
- Cité de Carcassonne. More than 1,500 years old, the Cité de Carcassonne is one of the most famous citadels in Europe. It has withstood many sieges and has been significantly altered by each new ruler (those include the Romans, Gauls, Moors, and others), and has always remained the main symbol of the city. Nowadays, the fortress is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- The Basilica of Saints Nazarius and Celsus. Located inside the citadel, the basilica is an important monument of Gothic-Romanesque architecture. It was significantly rebuilt in the 11th century; before that, in its place stood a 6th-century Arian Christian church built by the Visigoths.
- Museum of Torture. While it obviously won’t be everyone’s cup of tea (and is not for the faint of heart), the Museum of Torture tells the story of a very real and gruesome chapter of Europe’s medieval history. Those who dare to visit will be able to learn about the methods and instruments of torture. The museum also tells the story of the Cathars, a Christian dualist movement that was very active in Southern France from the 12th to 14th centuries and was heavily persecuted by the Catholic Church.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30km/h. Unlike with inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by weather.
- Outside cities, as of July 2018 the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110km/h, and 2- or 3- lane roads to 90km/h. During the rain, the limits are respectively lowered to 110km/h, 100km/h, and 80km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2018, hands-free mobile phone use is banned in France and the fines are hefty.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with the letter A and you can recognize them by a red number sign. The fee for taking a toll road depends on the specific route and distance traveled as well as the type of your vehicle - trailer cars and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by credit card or with cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road that will indicate where you got on. Then you have to pay for the distance you have traveled upon exiting the road.
Some rental cars are equipped with transponders and can use automatic toll booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with transponders.
See the official French toll road website for more information. Use the website's toll calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Perpignan. Although Perpignan’s own citadel is not as impressive as that of Carcassonne, the picturesque city is still worth a visit both for its beautiful 13th-century architecture and for the nearby Mediterranean beaches. The city is an important French Catalan center and is also home to two of the best rugby teams in Europe. Located 115km (71 miles) southwest of Carcassonne, Perpignan can be reached in 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Toulouse. The capital of the Occitanie region and the fourth-largest city in France, Toulouse is home to beautiful basilicas, museums, and modern art centers. The city is also one of the food capitals of France - its cassoulet stews alone are a fine reason to visit. Located 93km (58 miles) northwest of Carcassonne, Toulouse can be reached in one hour.
- The Pyrenees. Shared between France and Spain, the Pyrenees mountain range is one of the prime tourist destinations of the region. Made up of dramatic peaks, glacial lakes, and forests brimming with wildlife, the area is not to be missed when visiting Southern France. Pyrenees National Park is 240km (149 miles) southwest of Carcassonne and can be reached in about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Carcassonne is the Opel Astra, although many travelers also go for the Renault Twingo and the Chevrolet Aveo. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- The French Riviera. Also known as Cote d’Azur, the French Riviera is perhaps the most famous coastal stretch in Europe. Made up of beautiful beaches, restaurants serving fresh seafood, serene coastal villages, and countless yacht marinas, it is all about a leisurely enjoyment of life. Nice, the largest city, is 470km (292 miles) east of Carcassonne and can be reached in about five hours, but some smaller towns are even closer.
- Andorra. A tiny country high in the Pyrenees, Andorra punches way above its size when it comes to attractions. The area is famous as a winter sports destination, but travelers also love its wildlife refuges, excellent hiking options, and diverse cuisine. Located just 180km (112 miles) south of Carcassonne, Andorra can be reached in about three hours. You’d have to cross an international border, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- Barcelona. One of the most famous cities in Europe, Barcelona has something for everyone. While some visitors love its beautiful beaches or go to see the city’s famous football team, others spend hours wandering around the Gothic Quarter or marveling at the buildings designed by Antoni Gaudí. Located 305km (190 miles) south of Carcassonne, Barcelona can be reached in just three hours. Like with Andorra, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit you crossing the border.
Car Rental Prices in Carcassonne
- Large cars - from $53 per day
- Medium cars - from $60 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $62 per day
- Small cars - from $44 per day
- SUVs - from $57 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Follow these simple tips and land a great rental car in Carcassonne:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Carcassonne is the cheapest in May when renting a car is about 52% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 67% cheaper than renting a car in June.
Top 20 Cities near Carcassonne
Paris Car Rentals from $23.97 per day625.3 km / 388.6 miles away
Marseille Car Rentals from $66.58 per day249.5 km / 155.0 miles away
Nice Car Rentals from $39.57 per day403.6 km / 250.8 miles away
Lyon Car Rentals from $23.95 per day345.3 km / 214.5 miles away
Ajaccio Car Rentals from $29.30 per day550.3 km / 341.9 miles away
Bastia Car Rentals from $29.30 per day589.2 km / 366.1 miles away
Figari Car Rentals from $48.89 per day589.2 km / 366.1 miles away
Toulouse Car Rentals from $23.97 per day89.1 km / 55.4 miles away
Montpellier Car Rentals from $27.61 per day139.6 km / 86.8 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $34.44 per day300.8 km / 186.9 miles away
Lille Car Rentals from $24.22 per day827.5 km / 514.2 miles away
Nantes Car Rentals from $31.37 per day544.3 km / 338.2 miles away
Toulon Car Rentals from $29.10 per day311.5 km / 193.6 miles away
Perpignan Car Rentals from $32.15 per day74.1 km / 46.1 miles away
222.6 km / 138.3 miles away
Cannes Car Rentals from $41.55 per day383.0 km / 238.0 miles away
Grenoble Car Rentals from $27.13 per day349.2 km / 217.0 miles away
Calvi Car Rentals from $42.28 per day534.0 km / 331.8 miles away
Biarritz Car Rentals from $29.10 per day311.7 km / 193.7 miles away
Strasbourg Car Rentals from $29.10 per day721.5 km / 448.3 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Carcassonne
Carcassonne Airport Car Rentals from $29.10 per day
Perpignan Airport Car Rentals from $29.10 per day69.8 km / 43.4 miles away
Perpignan Train Station Car Rentals from $32.15 per day74.1 km / 46.1 miles away
Béziers Train Station Car Rentals from $26.02 per day74.9 km / 46.5 miles away
Toulouse Train Station Car Rentals from $23.74 per day81.9 km / 50.9 miles away
Toulouse Barriere de Paris Car Rentals from $47.10 per day85.2 km / 53.0 miles away
Beziers Airport Car Rentals from $24.06 per day85.4 km / 53.1 miles away
Toulouse-Blagnac Airport Car Rentals from $23.97 per day89.1 km / 55.4 miles away
Rodez Airport Car Rentals from $22.95 per day133.2 km / 82.8 miles away
Montpellier Train Station Car Rentals from $28.12 per day134.2 km / 83.4 miles away
Montpellier-Méditerranée Airport Car Rentals from $27.61 per day139.6 km / 86.8 miles away
Agen Train Station Car Rentals from $38.50 per day174.9 km / 108.6 miles away
Nimes Airport Car Rentals from $46.92 per day180.4 km / 112.1 miles away
Aurillac Airport Car Rentals from $51.60 per day186.5 km / 115.9 miles away
Tarbes-Lourdes-Pyrenees Airport Car Rentals from $29.10 per day187.4 km / 116.4 miles away
Manduel Train Station Car Rentals from $29.11 per day189.5 km / 117.8 miles away
Avignon Train Station Car Rentals from $27.00 per day214.4 km / 133.2 miles away
Pau Pyrenees Airport Car Rentals from $29.10 per day221.4 km / 137.6 miles away
Brive Train Station Car Rentals from $27.71 per day224.2 km / 139.3 miles away
Brive Airport Car Rentals from $26.66 per day225.1 km / 139.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Carcassonne?
What’s the usual rental length in Carcassonne?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Carcassonne?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Enterprise||Opel Combo||5||3||Medium cars|
|Keddy||Toyota Aygo||3||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Peugeot 2008||5||2||Medium cars|
|Enterprise||Renault Clio||3||3||Small cars|
|Enterprise||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Enterprise||Iveco Daily||4||8||Large cars|
|Enterprise||Opel Mokka X||4||2||SUVs|
|Keddy||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Avis||Peugeot 208||4||2||Small cars|