Car Rental in Montpellier
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Montpellier?
Montpellier is an interesting place to visit. Although less famous than some other French Mediterranean cities, it has plenty to offer to a traveler from its small, but picturesque old city center to many impressive beaches that are easily reached with a rental car. From it, you can also explore the nearby Pyrenees or even travel to France’s neighboring countries, Spain and Andorra.
One-Way Car Rentals in Montpellier
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Montpellier and drop off in another city include:
- From Montpellier to Nice - 79 offers from US$ 46.60 per day
- From Montpellier to Bordeaux - 51 offers from US$ 52.03 per day
- From Montpellier to Aix-en-Provence - 51 offers from US$ 50.91 per day
Top ways to enter Montpellier
- Montpellier Airport: The tenth-busiest airport in France, Montpellier–Méditerranée handled 1.8 million travelers in 2018. The airport is especially active during the summer months when it is served by around 15 different airlines. Located on the coast, the airport is about 11km (7 miles) southwest of Montpellier city center and can be reached in about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Nîmes–Alès–Camargue–Cévennes Airport: Possibly, the airport with the longest name in France, it is sometimes also called Nîmes-Garons. Although, as of 2019, it is only served by two airlines, it does offer connections to the French island of Corsica as well as Belgium, the United Kingdom, and Morocco. Just 60km (37 miles) northeast of Montpellier, the airport can be reached in less than one hour.
- Beziers Airport: Another small airport near the French Mediterranean coast, Béziers Cap d'Agde is served by only one airline, the low-cost carrier Ryanair. As of July 2019, it offers flights to Brussels, London, Edinburgh, Stockholm, and other destinations in Europe. Located 65km (40 miles) southwest of Montpellier, the airport can be reached in one hour.
- Marseille Provence Airport: The fifth-busiest in France, Marseille Airport handled 9.3 million travelers in 2018. It hosts flights to and from countless destinations in Europe as well as some in North Africa, the Middle East, and Sub-Saharan Africa. The airport is 150km (93 miles) east of Montpellier and the distance between the two can be traveled in less than two hours.
- Nice Côte d'Azur Airport: The third-busiest in France, Nice-Côte d'Azur is a focus airport for Air France, EasyJet, and HOP! and is also served by around 40 other airlines. Unlike most other airports in the region, most flights are active year-round and not just during the summer. The airport, located 320km (198 miles) east of Montpellier, can be reached in about three hours and there are many interesting potential stops on the way.
- By rail: If you arrive in Montpellier by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Montpellier-Saint-Roch train station.
Useful city facts
- Montpellier has a hot Mediterranean climate. The average high temperature is 29°C (85°F) in July, the warmest month, and 7°C (45°F) in January. Autumns and winters are quite humid in Montpellier while summers are very dry with extremely low precipitation from June to August.
- The area of Montpellier has been inhabited since early Medieval times. Although the original settlement was right on the coast, regular pirate attacks pushed the inhabitants a bit further inland where the city is still located today. Despite its long history, Montpellier is very much a young place - it has been the fastest-growing French city for the last three decades. Many of the city’s neighborhoods were built in the 20th century.
- Located near the border with the Spanish region of Catalonia, Montpellier is often known as the most Spanish city in France. Spaniards have been living in the city for decades, influencing its lifestyle and cuisine. Nowadays, Montpellier is also home to large Italian, Moroccan, Algerian, and Malian communities.
Top destinations and activities
- Old Town. Also known as Ecusson, the old town is the only part of Montpellier with a truly historical atmosphere. The area has some of the city’s most famous landmarks like Saint-Pierre Cathedral and Fabre Art Museum. Areas like St. Roch Square and Rue de la Loge have the largest concentration of tourists, but the old town’s narrow side streets can be even more fun to explore.
- La promenade du Peyrou. An impressive esplanade in the western part of the old town, Peyrou Promenade is famous for the statue of French king Louis XIV on a horse and for the beautiful Water Manor or Chateau d’Eau which are located there. Nearby you’ll also find Montpellier’s own Arc de Triomphe.
- Le Carré Sainte-Anne. Built in the 19-the century as an impressive church, it has recently been turned into an art gallery and cultural space. More than 600m2 (6,485 sq.ft.) large, the center hosts frequent exhibits by French and foreign painters, sculptors, and photographers. The gallery is located in the neighborhood of Sainte-Anne, a beautiful part of the city that is interesting to explore.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30km/h. Unlike with inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by weather.
- Outside cities, as of July 2018 the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110km/h, and 2- or 3- lane roads to 90km/h. When it is raining, the limits are respectively lowered to 110km/h, 100km/h, and 80km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2018, hands-free mobile phone use is banned in France and the fines are hefty.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with the letter A and you can recognize them by a red number sign. The fee for taking a toll road depends on the specific route, the distance traveled, as well as the type of your vehicle - trailer cars and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by credit card or by cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road.
Some rental cars are equipped with transponders and can use the automatic toll road payment booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with toll road transponders.
Ideas for a day-trip
- The beaches. Although a little inland, Montpellier is near the French Mediterranean coast. A lot of beautiful beaches are easily accessed with a rental car, like the hip and developed Carnon Beach which has plenty of bars and restaurants or the more relaxed Palavas Beach which is favored by locals.
- Avignon. The former pope’s residence, Avignon is one of the most picturesque cities in southern France. Famous landmarks include the Palace of the Popes which is the largest Gothic building in the world and a city center that is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. There are different museums in Avignon housing exhibitions of many renowned artists as well as on the area’s history dating back to the pre-Roman times. About 95km (59 miles) northeast of Montpellier, Avignon can be reached in 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Haut-Languedoc Regional Nature Park. Near the sea, but offering impressive mountain scenery, Haut-Languedoc park is the best place in Montpellier area for a day outdoors. There are many opportunities for hiking or just having a picnic. The park is home to mouflon wild sheep as well as around 250 bird species. Just 122km (76 miles) west of Montpellier, the national park can be reached in about 90 minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Montpellier is the Opel Corsa, and many travelers also choose the Citroen C3 and the Renault Clio. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- The Pyrenees. Forming the natural border between France and Spain, the Pyrenees might not be the highest mountain range in Europe, but it is certainly one of the most impressive ones. Made up haunting summits, blue lakes, and sparse mountain villages, it is a place to completely escape civilization. Stunning Pyrenees National Park, a good place from where to start the exploration, is 390km (242 miles) west of Montpellier and can be reached in about four hours.
- Barcelona. A special place to visit, Barcelona is world-famous for landmarks and areas like the Sagrada Familia or La Rambla. But its lesser-known highlights, like the Miramar Gardens, Barcelona Pavilion, the Archaeology Museum of Catalonia, and the small beach villages that surround the city can be just as exciting. Just 345km (214 miles) southwest along the Mediterranean coast, Barcelona can be reached in about four hours and is definitely worth anyone’s time. You’ll have to cross an international border to go from France to Spain, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- French Riviera. With remarkable villas, high-class beaches in Nice, Cannes, and Saint-Tropez, and more yacht owners per capita than probably anywhere else on the planet, the French Riviera is Europe’s glamour hub. Its pull of the rich and famous is no wonder, either, since the natural beauty of this coastal area is truly stunning. And even if displays of opulence is not exactly your style, we can bet you won’t say no to the area’s delicious seafood. Nice, the region’s largest city, is 325km (201 miles) east of Montpellier and can be reached in about three-and-a-half hours, but the coast itself begins closer to Montpellier.
Car Rental Prices in Montpellier
- Station wagons - from $83 per day
- Large cars - from $62 per day
- Medium cars - from $45 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $88 per day
- Premium cars - from $149 per day
- Small cars - from $43 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
It’s easy to land a great rental car in Montpellier if you follow these tips:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Montpellier is the cheapest in March when renting a car is about 42% cheaper than the yearly average and about 68% cheaper than renting a car in January. Come visit the Mediterranean in early springtime!
Top 20 Cities near Montpellier
Paris Car Rentals from $29.29 per day613.1 km / 380.9 miles away
Marseille Car Rentals from $41.33 per day102.4 km / 63.6 miles away
Lyon Car Rentals from $27.33 per day252.3 km / 156.8 miles away
Nice Car Rentals from $34.97 per day266.2 km / 165.4 miles away
Toulouse Car Rentals from $29.29 per day208.9 km / 129.8 miles away
Ajaccio Car Rentals from $49.21 per day435.8 km / 270.8 miles away
Bastia Car Rentals from $49.21 per day463.1 km / 287.7 miles away
Figari Car Rentals from $46.50 per day480.0 km / 298.3 miles away
Lille Car Rentals from $25.33 per day778.9 km / 484.0 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $34.03 per day397.3 km / 246.9 miles away
Nantes Car Rentals from $29.75 per day588.9 km / 365.9 miles away
Grenoble Car Rentals from $24.92 per day225.8 km / 140.3 miles away
Toulon Car Rentals from $46.45 per day167.0 km / 103.7 miles away
Perpignan Car Rentals from $29.29 per day128.9 km / 80.1 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Car Rentals from $51.67 per day110.2 km / 68.5 miles away
Cannes Car Rentals from $22.07 per day241.1 km / 149.8 miles away
Caen Car Rentals from $21.57 per day707.4 km / 439.6 miles away
Strasbourg Car Rentals from $21.02 per day620.0 km / 385.3 miles away
Rennes Car Rentals from $21.57 per day665.8 km / 413.7 miles away
Biarritz Car Rentals from $29.29 per day442.9 km / 275.2 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Montpellier
Montpellier Train Station Car Rentals from $29.29 per day2.9 km / 1.8 miles away
Montpellier-Méditerranée Airport Car Rentals from $29.29 per day7.7 km / 4.8 miles away
Nimes Airport Car Rentals from $47.23 per day48.5 km / 30.1 miles away
Beziers Airport Car Rentals from $34.10 per day50.3 km / 31.2 miles away
Manduel Train Station Car Rentals from $29.29 per day57.9 km / 36.0 miles away
Béziers Train Station Car Rentals from $34.10 per day58.8 km / 36.6 miles away
Avignon Train Station Car Rentals from $51.67 per day83.0 km / 51.6 miles away
Marseille Provence Airport Car Rentals from $41.33 per day110.0 km / 68.4 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Train Station Car Rentals from $51.67 per day117.9 km / 73.3 miles away
Perpignan Airport Car Rentals from $29.29 per day123.5 km / 76.7 miles away
Marseille-Saint-Charles Train Station Car Rentals from $124.40 per day126.2 km / 78.4 miles away
Perpignan Train Station Car Rentals from $42.63 per day126.8 km / 78.8 miles away
Carcassonne Airport Car Rentals from $29.29 per day132.2 km / 82.1 miles away
Rodez Airport Car Rentals from $51.93 per day143.8 km / 89.3 miles away
Toulon Train Station Car Rentals from $46.45 per day174.3 km / 108.3 miles away
Aurillac Airport Car Rentals from $51.93 per day185.6 km / 115.3 miles away
Toulon-Hyères Airport Car Rentals from $41.33 per day192.1 km / 119.4 miles away
Toulouse Train Station Car Rentals from $29.29 per day194.2 km / 120.7 miles away
Toulouse Barriere de Paris Car Rentals from $48.98 per day196.2 km / 121.9 miles away
Toulouse-Blagnac Airport Car Rentals from $29.29 per day201.2 km / 125.0 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Montpellier?
What’s the usual rental length in Montpellier?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Montpellier?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Keddy||Toyota Aygo||3||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Citroen C3||4||2||Small cars|
|Alamo||Opel Corsa||2||1||Small cars|
|Enterprise||Renault Clio||3||3||Small cars|
|Enterprise||Opel Combo||5||3||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Fiat 500||2||1||Small cars|
|Avis||Peugeot 108||2||1||Small cars|
|Europcar||VW Touran||5||3||Station wagons|
|Alamo||Peugeot 5008 5+2||5||People Carriers/Vans|