Car Rental in Clermont-Ferrand
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Clermont-Ferrand?
Clermont-Ferrand is a great place to visit. It might not be Paris or Marseille, but this small city is home to beautiful museums and well-preserved architecture. The city is surrounded by unique nature areas including dormant volcanoes and national parks full of wildlife and hiking trails. Lyon, one of Europe’s most unique cities, is practically next door, and the Mediterranean coast is just a short drive south.
One-Way Car Rentals in Clermont-Ferrand
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Clermont-Ferrand and drop off in another city include:
- From Clermont-Ferrand to Bordeaux - 22 offers from $72.85 per day
Top ways to enter Clermont-Ferrand
- Clermont-Ferrand Airport: Also known as Clermont Ferrand-Auvergne after the larger region which it serves, this small airport handled 430,000 travelers in 2018. The airport is served by five different airlines, although some flights are only active during the summer months. Located just 6.5km (4 miles) east of the city center, the airport can be reached in about 15 minutes.
- Lyon Airport: Also known as Saint-Exupery Airport and Lyon-Satolas, it served 11 million travelers in 2018 making it the fourth-busiest airport in France. Lyon is a focus city for a number of airlines including Air France, HOP!, and easyJet. Located 190km (118 miles) east of Clermont-Ferrand, the airport can be reached in about two hours.
- Limoges Bellegarde Airport: Serving Limoges, the largest city in the department of Haute-Vienne department, this small airport handles about 300,000 travelers every year. The airport is served by four different airlines and offers domestic connections as well as flights to and from various destinations in the United Kingdom. Located 240km (150 miles) west of Clermont-Ferrand, Limoges Airport can be reached in about 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- Alpes–Isère Airport: Another small international airport near the city of Grenoble, it is only open during the winter months when it offers access to winter sports bases in the French Alps. Nonetheless, with the airport hosting flights to and from the United Kingdom, Sweden, Poland, and other European countries, flying here can be a good way to access all of southern France Located 255km (160 miles) east of Clermont-Ferrand, the airport can be reached in about 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- Montpellier Airport: One of the fastest-growing airports in the country, Montpellier–Méditerranée handled nearly two million travelers in 2018. Located near the Mediterranean coast, the airport hosts the flights of around 20 different airlines which offer flights to and from destinations all over Europe as well as some in North Africa. The airport is located 340km (211 miles) south of Clermont-Ferrand and can be reached in about 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- By rail: If arriving in Clermont-Ferrand by train, you can pick up your rental car at the Gare de Clermont-Ferrand railway station.
- Clermont-Ferrand has a humid subtropical climate with oceanic influences. The average high temperature is 27°C (78°F) in July, the warmest month, and 8°C (46°F) in January, the coldest. Extreme temperatures can also occur, with the city having experienced both temperatures of 41°C (106°F) and negative 29°C (-20°F) in 2019. Clermont-Ferrand is one of the driest cities in France with a small spike in precipitation usually occurring from May to June and from August to September.
- Considered one of the oldest cities in the region, Clermont-Ferrand was inhabited by different Celtic tribes and was mentioned in the writings of the ancient Greek geographer Strabo. Later, the city was invaded (and ruled) by the Romans, Visigoths, Carolingians, Vikings, and other powers. It became the property of the French Crown in 1610.
Top destinations and activities
- Place de Jaude. The beating heart of the city, the central square is the place where many of Clermont’s best restaurants, cafes, and performance venues are located. It is also home to not one, but three interesting statues - the most important one is dedicated to the Gallic leader Vercingetorix who fought Julius Caesar, but there are also monuments of Pope Urban II and scientist Blaise Pascal.
- Clermont Ferrand Cathedral. Also known by its full name, the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption of Clermont-Ferrand, this beautiful Gothic church is one of the landmarks of the city. Built in the 13th and 14th centuries in the place of former cathedrals which were destroyed during various wars, it is made entirely from a distinctly black lava stone obtained in the nearby volcanic mountains.
- Roger-Quilliot Museum. An interesting, high-quality museum, it hosts pieces of art made by famous French masters as well as the best works of the artists of the Auvergne region. The museum also has a collection of a number of artifacts relating to the history of Clermont-Ferrand.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h. Unlike for inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by weather.
- Outside cities and as of May 2019, the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130 km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110km/h, and 2 or 3-lane roads to 90 km/h. When it is raining, the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during periods of heavy fog or other times of impaired visibility.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When you are driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2019, hands-free mobile phone use is banned in France and the fines are hefty.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with letter A and you can recognize them by a red number sign. The toll for taking a toll road depends on the specific route, the distance, as well as the type of your vehicle - cars with trailers and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by credit card or with cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road.
Some rental cars are equipped with toll road transporters and can use the automatic toll road payment booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with toll road transporters.
See the official French toll road website for more information. Use the website's toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Auvergne Volcanoes Regional Nature Park. Volcanoes are not the first thing that comes to mind when most people think of France, but Clermont-Ferrand is surrounded by a number of extinct volcanoes. The largest of them, Puy de Dôme, can be seen from most places in the city and has become a symbol of Clermont-Ferrand. The Volcanic Regional Nature Park is a protected area where you can take in the stunning landscape. You can also visit Vulcania, a volcano-based theme park with many attractions and information about the unique geology of the area. The volcanoes nature park is 23km (14 miles) southwest of Clermont-Ferrand and can be reached in about 30 minutes.
- Livradois-Forez Natural Regional Park. More traditional than the volcanoes nature park but just as beautiful, Livradois-Forez is a protected area to the east of Clermont-Ferrand. Made up woodlands, deep valleys, and hiking trails, the park is home to unique raptors like the grey buzzard and red kite. Located some 60km (37 miles) from Clermont-Ferrand, the park takes 50 minutes to reach.
- Mont Dore. Located inside Vulcania Nature Park, Mont Dore is the most famous spa town in the Auvergne region. Located on the banks of the Dordogne river, Mont Dore’s thermal springs and their healing qualities have been known since at least Roman times. In addition to spas, the hilly setting of town also makes it a regional hub for skiing and hiking. The drive from Clermont-Ferrand takes only about 50 minutes.
- Vichy. Nowadays an unassuming regional town of about 25,000 souls, Vichy is known for its historical importance as it was the de-facto capital of Nazi-occupied France in the early 1940s. In addition to this, Vichy is a famous spa town (in 2021, this gave the town UNESCO World Heritage status) and is also home to several interesting museums. The drive from Clermont-Ferrand takes only 20 minutes.
- Lyon. The largest city in south-central France and the third-largest in the country, Lyon is a stunning place. Home to the second-largest Renaissance heritage in Europe (after only Venice), the city is known for the grandness of its churches and palaces and the quality of its cuisine that is rumored to be the best in all of France. Located 167km (104 miles) east of Clermont-Ferrand, Lyon can be reached in just two hours.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Clermont-Ferrand is the Citroen C4, although many travelers also go for the Renault Clio and Ford Fiesta. The most popular rental car types are compact, economy, and standard.
- Paris. From the Eiffel Tower to Champs-Élysées and Sacré Coeur, the City of Lights has an abundance of world-class attractions. But it can be just as fun to get off the beaten path and visit the artist residency at 59 Rivoli or go on a tour of the Paris catacombs. Whichever you choose, prepare to be impressed. Located 425km (264 miles) north of Clermont-Ferrand, Paris can be reached in about 4 hours and 20 minutes.
- Dijon. As famous for mustard as it is for its well-preserved architecture, Dijon is one of the most beautiful cities in Eastern France. Better yet, it is also near beautiful nature areas like Morvan Regional Nature Park (to the west) and Forests National Park (to the north). The drive from Clermont-Ferrand to Dijon takes about 3 hours and 20 minutes.
- The Pyrenees. Although they might not be as high as the Alps, the Pyrenees is one of the most scenic places in Europe. Stretching from the Bay of Biscay all the way to the Mediterranean, the mountain range encompasses beautiful national parks, stunning long valleys, and tiny villages that have changed little over the centuries. Lourdes, a city often seen as one of the gateways to the Pyrenees, is 545km (338 miles) from Clermont-Ferrand and can be reached in just over five hours.
- The French Riviera. The home of golden beaches, millionaires, and expensive yachts, Cote d’Azur is all about glamour. Travel here if you feel like going on a shopping spree, getting a perfect tan, learning how to do a new water sport, or slowly sipping a cocktail at a world-class beach restaurant. Saint-Tropez, perhaps the most famous beach town of them all, is 575km (357 miles) from Clermont-Ferrand and can be reached in about 5 hours and 40 minutes.
Car Rental Prices in Clermont-Ferrand
- Station wagons - from $136 per day
- Large cars - from $154 per day
- Medium cars - from $97 per day
- Vans - from $193 per day
- Premium cars - from $197 per day
- Small cars - from $78 per day
- SUVs - from $195 per day
Improve your odds of landing a cheap rental car in France by following these tips:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Clermont-Ferrand is the cheapest in August when renting a car is about 40% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 63% cheaper than renting a car in March.
Top 20 Cities near Clermont-Ferrand
347.6 km / 216.0 miles away
Marseille Car Rentals from $62.65 per day329.7 km / 204.9 miles away
Lyon Car Rentals from $82.67 per day129.1 km / 80.2 miles away
281.7 km / 175.0 miles away
Nice Car Rentals from $40.00 per day397.5 km / 247.0 miles away
Nantes Car Rentals from $60.91 per day393.6 km / 244.6 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $64.60 per day309.2 km / 192.1 miles away
Lille Car Rentals from $102.00 per day539.4 km / 335.2 miles away
Strasbourg Car Rentals from $37.16 per day456.4 km / 283.6 miles away
Beauvais Car Rentals from $82.26 per day415.4 km / 258.1 miles away
Montpellier Car Rentals from $61.58 per day251.4 km / 156.2 miles away
210.6 km / 130.9 miles away
249.9 km / 155.3 miles away
Figari Car Rentals from $90.49 per day674.1 km / 418.9 miles away
Mulhouse Car Rentals from $45.10 per day388.7 km / 241.5 miles away
Massy Car Rentals from $113.05 per day334.7 km / 208.0 miles away
Rennes Car Rentals from $32.01 per day444.9 km / 276.5 miles away
Cannes Car Rentals from $73.71 per day390.0 km / 242.3 miles away
Perpignan Car Rentals from $46.37 per day341.5 km / 212.2 miles away
465.5 km / 289.2 miles away
Top 18 Locations near Clermont-Ferrand
Clermont-Ferrand Auvergne Airport Car Rentals from $72.91 per day3.5 km / 2.2 miles away
Lyon Limonest Car Rentals from $63.06 per day127.9 km / 79.4 miles away
Lyon East Car Rentals from $52.86 per day135.1 km / 84.0 miles away
Brive Train Station Car Rentals from $64.60 per day142.2 km / 88.4 miles away
Brive Airport Car Rentals from $41.31 per day146.0 km / 90.7 miles away
Limoges Bellegarde Airport Car Rentals from $92.52 per day151.0 km / 93.8 miles away
Lyon-Saint-Exupéry Airport Car Rentals from $46.17 per day151.9 km / 94.4 miles away
Grenoble Alpes–Isère Airport Car Rentals from $21.77 per day177.7 km / 110.4 miles away
Grenoble Train Station Car Rentals from $44.02 per day211.9 km / 131.7 miles away
Dijon Train Station Car Rentals from $57.26 per day225.9 km / 140.4 miles away
Dijon North Car Rentals from $40.40 per day229.0 km / 142.3 miles away
Bergerac Airport Car Rentals from $78.55 per day229.1 km / 142.4 miles away
Angouleme Train Station Car Rentals from $64.60 per day230.0 km / 142.9 miles away
Annecy Train Station Car Rentals from $103.78 per day232.6 km / 144.5 miles away
Poitiers-Biard Airport Car Rentals from $98.44 per day235.2 km / 146.2 miles away
Geneva Airport French sector Car Rentals from $45.10 per day236.4 km / 146.9 miles away
Nimes Pont du Gard Car Rentals from $110.28 per day243.0 km / 151.0 miles away
Avignon Train Station Car Rentals from $71.59 per day243.7 km / 151.4 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Clermont-Ferrand?
What’s the usual rental length in Clermont-Ferrand?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Clermont-Ferrand?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Keddy||Fiat 500X||4||2||Medium cars|
|Keddy||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Toyota Yaris||4||1||Small cars|
|Thrifty||Renault Clio||4||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|Thrifty||Peugeot 308 STW||5||3||Station wagons|
|Alamo||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|Enterprise||Renault Kangoo||4||8||Medium cars|
|Enterprise||Opel Corsa||4||2||Small cars|