Car Rental in Mulhouse
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Mulhouse?
Mulhouse is a great holiday destination. Retaining many qualities of a charming little French town, it at the same time has many qualities of a large and modern city such as great restaurants and high-quality museums. Mulhouse can serve as a perfect base to explore the beautiful Alsace region or to see the rest of France or even visit its neighboring countries like Germany, Luxembourg, or Switzerland.
One-Way Car Rentals in Mulhouse
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Mulhouse and drop off in another city include:
- From Mulhouse to Paris - 77 offers from $33.36 per day
- From Mulhouse to Milan - 12 offers from $392.59 per day
- From Mulhouse to Strasbourg - 126 offers from $32.19 per day
- From Mulhouse to Nantes - 76 offers from $33.36 per day
- From Mulhouse to Dijon - 31 offers from $46.43 per day
Top ways to enter Mulhouse
- EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg: Although physically located in France, the airport serves cities in three different countries - Mulhouse in France, Basel in Switzerland, and Freiburg im Breisgau in Germany. The airport’s landside area is divided into French and Swiss sections. It’s important to note that some rental car providers do not permit crossing international borders - if that is the case with your provider, you should make sure to pick up your rental car in the airport’s French section. Ask your rental car provider about the permission to cross the border before booking the car. EuroAirport is about 30km (19 miles) southeast of Mulhouse and can be reached in about 25 minutes.
- Strasbourg Airport: Serving one of the capitals of the European Union, Strasbourg Airport handled 1.3 million travelers in 2018. In addition to connecting the city to many destinations in Europe, the airport also hosts a number of flights to North Africa and the Middle East. Located 110km (68.3 miles) north of Mulhouse, the airport can be reached in about one hour.
- Dole-Jura Airport: A small regional airport formerly known as Dole-Tavaux, it hosts flights to and from other destinations in France, as well as London in the United Kingdom, Fez and Marrakesh in Morocco, Cagliari in Italy, Corfu and Rhodes in Greece, and Brač in Croatia. Located near the city of Besancon, the airport is 190km (118 miles) southwest of Mulhouse and can be reached in about two hours.
- Zurich Airport: The largest in Switzerland and among the 15 busiest in Europe, Zurich Airport served more than 31 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a hub for Edelweiss Air and Swiss International Air Lines and is also served by a large number of other companies. There are flights to and from countless destinations in Europe as well as Asia, Africa, and the Americas. Located 120km (74 miles) east of Mulhouse, Zurich Airport can be reached in just 1 hour and 40 minutes. You’ll have to cross the border between Switzerland and France, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- Metz–Nancy–Lorraine Airport: A small airport located halfway between the cities of Nancy and Metz, it hosts a number of domestic flights as well as flights to and from such varied destinations as Greece, Algeria, Morocco, Bulgaria, and Spain. The airport is 236km (146 miles) northwest of Mulhouse and can be reached in about 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- By rail: If you arrive in Mulhouse by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Gare de Mulhouse-Ville Train Station.
- Located in the northeastern part of France, Mulhouse has a temperate oceanic climate with warm summers and cool winters. The average high temperature is 26°C (79°F) in July, the warmest month, and 5°C (41°F) in January. Summers are much more humid in Mulhouse than in much of the rest of France, with precipitation especially high from May to September. Mulhouse experiences some snow every year, especially from December to February.
- Mulhouse is located in a highly and densely populated part of Europe, and many other famous cities are near it. In addition to many French cities, Stuttgart, Heidelberg, and Frankfurt in Germany, Innsbruck in Austria, Milan in Italy, Geneva and Zurich in Switzerland, and Luxembourg City in Luxembourg are located 400km (250 miles) or less from Mulhouse.
Top destinations and activities
- National Auto Museum - Schlumpf Museum. Known as Cité de l’Automobile, this motor museum is said to host the largest collection of classic cars in the world. Made up of three different sections, the museum has an especially impressive collection of old racing Bugattis, but has at least one exhibit of practically every classic car imaginable. Even if you’re not a fan of motor vehicles, seeing this museum is one of the highlights of Mulhouse.
- Place de la Réunion. A large square in the old town of Mulhouse, it is surrounded by some of the most beautiful buildings in the city, including the Temple Church of St. Etienne and the City History Museum. Other highlights of the old town, like Cour des Chaînes building, are within a short walk from here.
- Eco Museum of Alsace. Mulhouse is one of the largest cities of historical region of Alsace. Mainly rural, and squeezed between France and Germany, its culture, lifestyle, and cuisine was for centuries influenced by both, creating a unique blend of its own. The eco museum, which is the largest open-air museum in France, tells the region’s story through more than 70 original Alsatian buildings, introduction of agricultural traditions, and interactive workshops.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit in cities is 50km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30km/h. Unlike with inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by weather.
- Outside cities, as of July 2018 the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110km/h, and 2- or 3- lane roads to 90km/h. When it is raining, the limits are respectively lowered to 110km/h, 100km/h, and 80km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2018, hands-free mobile phone use is banned in France and the fines are hefty.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with a letter A and you can recognize them by a red number sign. The fee for taking a toll road depends on the specific route, the distance traveled, as well as the type of your vehicle - cars with trailers and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by credit card or with cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road.
Some rental cars are equipped with toll road transponders and can use the automatic toll road payment booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with toll road transponders.
Ideas for day trips
- The Ballons des Vosges Regional Nature Park. A vast protected woodland, Ballons des Vosges is one of the largest natural areas near Mulhouse. The park is home to a great variety of wildlife that includes the boreal owl, lynx, Western capercaillie, and gray wolf. Just 58km (36 miles) northwest of Strasbourg, it can be reached in about 50 minutes.
- The Alsatian Vineyard Route. For centuries, winemaking has been one of the most important industries of Alsace. It’s worth driving your rental car to one of the quaint villages such as Molsheim, Thann, or Geubwiller, stay for a night or two and sample the produce of local domains. Even if you’re in a rush and cannot try the wines, the region is still an interesting place to see - and you can definitely taste the local cuisine which includes sauerkraut cabbage, tarte flambé pastry, and the Black Forest cake.
- Basel. Switzerland’s third-largest city, Basel is a mix of proud local culture and recent international influences. Here you’ll find beautiful Protestant churches like Basel Minster and Elisabethenkirche and also the Ethnographic Museum with famous exhibits from Tibet, Indonesia, and pre-Columbian Americas as well as the Museum of Ancient Art with collections from Greece, Egypt, and Mesopotamia. Just 36km (22 miles) south of Mulhouse, Basel can be reached in about 30 minutes. You’ll have to cross an international border, so make sure in advance that your rental car provider permits it.
- Freiburg im Breisgau. Situated on the edge of the Black Forest, Freiburg is a university city in Southern Germany. Its medieval city center boasts old city gates and a number of impressive churches, the first among them Freiburg Minster, while the city’s newer districts have some of the most innovative eco-friendly buildings in Europe. Just 59km (37 miles) northeast of Strasbourg, Freiburg can be reached in 50 minutes by car. Like with Basel, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit you to cross the international border.
- Doubs Regional Nature Park. Also located just across the border in Switzerland, Doubs Nature Park is situated around the river of the same name. Although the mountains here are not as high as further south, the region’s beautiful forests and waterfalls make it a beloved nature destination. The drive from Mulhouse takes about an hour and 35 minutes; as with other foreign destinations, ask your rental supplier in advance if they permit it.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Mulhouse is the Opel Adam. Many travelers also go for the Renault Twingo and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car types are mini, economy, and compact.
- Strasbourg. The largest city in Alsace is best known as one of the capitals of the EU, but there’s so much more about it than just international diplomacy. The entire city center, known as Grande Île or the large island, has been designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Its gothic architecture, large parks, and interesting museums are not to be missed. 115km (71 miles) north of Mulhouse, Strasbourg can be reached in about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Lyon. Both immense and cozy, France’s third city is home to beautiful and varied architecture, innovative museums, large public gardens, and scenic promenade along the Rhône River. The city is also known as the French food capital - and any place that is said to have better restaurants than Paris deserves a visit. Located 385km (239 miles) southwest of Mulhouse, Lyon can be reached in just over four hours.
- Forêts National Park. The only national park of mainland France that’s located outside the Alps or the far south of the country, it is also the youngest – it was only established in 2019. It takes up a sizable scenic territory of woodlands, waterways, and more than 50 small villages. The drive from Mulhouse takes just about three hours. A visit to the area can be combined with seeing the city of Dijon (to the east of the park) or the wine-making hub of Chablis (to the west).
- Lausanne and Geneva. The two beautiful, French-speaking Swiss cities are located at either end of Lake Geneva (also known as Lake Leman), with a one-hour drive between them. Each of the cities has its own unique character, but both are known as hubs of architecture, culture, and arts; both cities also provide easy access to Jura Vaudois Nature Park. The drive from Mulhouse to Lausanne, the nearest of the two, takes just under three hours.
Car Rental Prices in Mulhouse
- Station wagons - from $81 per day
- Large cars - from $73 per day
- Medium cars - from $52 per day
- Vans - from $252 per day
- Premium cars - from $141 per day
- Small cars - from $34 per day
Try out these tips and see if you can land a great rental car in Mulhouse:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Mulhouse is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 36% cheaper than the yearly average. Come visit Alsace in early springtime!
Top 20 Cities near Mulhouse
Paris Car Rentals from $28.94 per day407.3 km / 253.1 miles away
Marseille Car Rentals from $31.00 per day507.5 km / 315.4 miles away
Lyon Car Rentals from $53.90 per day287.2 km / 178.5 miles away
Lille Car Rentals from $36.12 per day468.7 km / 291.2 miles away
Nice Car Rentals from $32.27 per day437.1 km / 271.6 miles away
Toulouse Car Rentals from $33.03 per day653.8 km / 406.3 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $30.11 per day703.9 km / 437.4 miles away
Nantes Car Rentals from $51.80 per day687.8 km / 427.4 miles away
Montpellier Car Rentals from $28.13 per day524.8 km / 326.1 miles away
Beauvais Car Rentals from $39.53 per day449.4 km / 279.3 miles away
457.4 km / 284.2 miles away
Strasbourg Car Rentals from $29.43 per day106.3 km / 66.1 miles away
Figari Car Rentals from $37.15 per day688.2 km / 427.6 miles away
Cannes Car Rentals from $24.01 per day450.7 km / 280.0 miles away
Perpignan Car Rentals from $35.22 per day652.2 km / 405.3 miles away
Grenoble Car Rentals from $34.22 per day300.8 km / 186.9 miles away
Biarritz Car Rentals from $33.03 per day840.7 km / 522.4 miles away
Rennes Car Rentals from $25.25 per day693.0 km / 430.6 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Car Rentals from $29.74 per day482.3 km / 299.7 miles away
603.6 km / 375.1 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Mulhouse
Airport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg Car Rentals from $10.98 per day22.3 km / 13.9 miles away
Strasbourg Airport Car Rentals from $29.43 per day91.3 km / 56.7 miles away
Strasbourg Train Station Car Rentals from $32.21 per day97.5 km / 60.6 miles away
Dijon North Car Rentals from $34.30 per day178.0 km / 110.6 miles away
Dijon Train Station Car Rentals from $31.30 per day180.1 km / 111.9 miles away
Geneva Airport French sector Car Rentals from $32.56 per day192.3 km / 119.5 miles away
Annecy Train Station Car Rentals from $44.02 per day225.2 km / 139.9 miles away
Moûtiers-Salins-Brides-les-Bains Train Station Car Rentals from $46.25 per day258.8 km / 160.8 miles away
Lyon-Saint-Exupéry Airport Car Rentals from $12.34 per day283.2 km / 176.0 miles away
Reims Train Station Car Rentals from $46.80 per day296.7 km / 184.4 miles away
Grenoble Alpes–Isère Airport Car Rentals from $105.74 per day306.4 km / 190.4 miles away
Grenoble Train Station Car Rentals from $34.22 per day310.3 km / 192.8 miles away
Paris Disneyland Car Rentals from $42.94 per day358.7 km / 222.9 miles away
Paris Evry Car Rentals from $35.08 per day377.0 km / 234.3 miles away
Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport Car Rentals from $33.83 per day380.9 km / 236.7 miles away
Paris Bondy Car Rentals from $30.66 per day381.7 km / 237.2 miles away
Paris Maisons Alfort Car Rentals from $30.66 per day381.8 km / 237.2 miles away
Paris Orly Airport South Car Rentals from $44.60 per day383.2 km / 238.1 miles away
Paris Orly Airport Car Rentals from $30.66 per day383.2 km / 238.1 miles away
Clermont-Ferrand Auvergne Airport Car Rentals from $34.22 per day385.8 km / 239.7 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Mulhouse?
What’s the usual rental length in Mulhouse?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Mulhouse?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Keddy||Fiat 500X||4||2||Medium cars|
|Keddy||Toyota Yaris||4||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Europcar||Toyota Corolla||5||3||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|Keddy||Hyundai Tucson||4||3||Large cars|
|Enterprise||Renault Kangoo||4||8||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Opel Mokka X||4||2||SUVs|