Car Rental Rennes
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Rennes?
Rennes is a great place to visit. While it may lack in the international fame of other destinations in Western France, the city has plenty to offer in terms of history, architecture, quality museums, and unique cuisine. After seeing Rennes, get in your rental to explore the rest of the beautiful, rugged, and culturally unique region of Brittany.
Top ways to enter Rennes
- Rennes Airport: Also known as Saint-Jacques Airport, this small airport handled about 850,000 travelers in 2018, an 18% increase from the year before. The airport is a hub for the national carrier Air France as well as other airlines, including easyJet, Vueling, and Flybe. Located 12km (7.4 miles) south of the city center, the airport can be reached in about 20 minutes.
- Nantes Airport: Serving the large city of the same name, Nantes Atlantique Airport is one of the busiest airports in Northwest France, having handled more than six million travelers in 2018. The airport is a hub for low-cost airlines Volotea, Transavia, and easyJet, and offers flights to and from a large number of holiday destinations in Southern Europe and North Africa. Located some 120km (74.5 miles) south of Rennes, Nantes Airport can be reached in about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Lorient Airport: Also known as Lorient-South Brittany and Lorient-Lann-Bihoué, this small international airport hosts domestic flights to and from Paris, Lyon, and Toulouse as well as to Porto in Portugal. Many of Brittany’s famous places, such as Quimper and Brest, are easily reached from the airport. Rennes is 160km (100 miles) northeast of Lorient Airport and can be reached in about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Caen Airport: Also known by its full name Caen-Carpiquet, this international airport might be small, but in 2018 it recorded a 50% increase in passengers served compared to the year before. As of October 2019, the airport is served by three airlines, Flybe, HOP!, and Volotea. Located in Normandy, Caen Airport is 180km (120 miles) north of Rennes and takes less than two hours to reach.
- Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport: The largest airport in France and second-busiest airport in Europe, Charles de Gaulle Airport primarily serves Paris, but is also the main port of entry for many travelers going to other parts of the country. The airport served 72 million travelers in 2018 and offers flights to and from all the continents of the world. Located 380km (236 miles) northwest of Rennes, the airport can be reached in about four hours.
- By rail: If arriving in Rennes by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at the Rennes Central Train Station or Gare de Rennes.
Useful city facts
- Located near the coast, Rennes has an oceanic climate similar, if slightly warmer than, to that of the United Kingdom. The average high temperature is 24°C (75°F) in July and August, the warmest months, and 9°C (48°F) in January, the coldest. The city has moderate precipitation that is considerably lower than in the westernmost reaches of Brittany (e.g., Brest). October is the rainiest month while August is the driest.
- Although Rennes is the capital city of Brittany, it has never been a stronghold of the Breton language; instead, Gallo, a Romance language more closely related to French, was for centuries the main local tongue (nowadays, French is the dominant language). Nonetheless, Rennes has a number of language schools and centers of both Gallo and Breton cultures. Knowledge of English varies but is quite high among the people working in the tourism and service industries.
Top destinations and activities
- The Parlement of Brittany. The former parlement building is one of the most impressive buildings of Rennes and, consequently, one of its main tourist attractions. The institution of parlement, a type provincial court, was formally abolished after the French Revolution in 1790. For the last two hundred years, the building has hosted the Rennes Court of Appeals. Despite this function, the building is also open at certain times to visitors who can marvel at its painted ceilings and imposing courtrooms.
- Museum of Fine Arts of Rennes. Home to some seriously amazing collections, it has been named the most important French museum outside Paris. The exhibitions are quite varied and cover everything from the art of the world’s first civilizations to masterpieces painted by world-famous artists like Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Paolo Veronese, Paul Gauguin, and Pablo Picasso.
- Saint George Palace. Built in the 17th century, it was initially an abbey, but it ceased to fulfill its religious function after the French Revolution. Sitting on the bank of the Vilaine River, the palace is located near the city center and is surrounded by a beautifully landscaped garden. One of the most beloved tourist attractions in Rennes, it is also one of the most photographed buildings in the region of Brittany.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30km/h. Unlike for inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by weather.
- Outside cities and as of May 2019, the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110km/h, and 2 or 3-lane roads to 90km/h. When it is raining, the limits are respectively lowered to 110km/h, 100km/h, and 80km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50km/h during periods of heavy fog or other times of impaired visibility.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When you are driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2019, hands-free mobile phone use is banned in France and the fines are hefty.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with the letter A and you can recognize them by their red number sign. The toll for using a toll road depends on the specific route, distance traveled, as well as the type of vehicle - trailer cars and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by credit card or in cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road.
Some rental cars are equipped with toll road transponders that can be used at the automatic toll road payment booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with toll road transporters.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Mont Saint-Michel. A unique walled settlement on a small island, Mont Saint-Michel is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The island is best known for the impressive Abbey of Mont Saint Michel, a Gothic 10th-century structure that is one of the most visited buildings in France. The island can be accessed by car via a bridge that connects it to the mainland (although during low tide, some tourists might be tempted to access the island overland, it is strongly advised against as the tides are unpredictable and it can be very dangerous). Located 83km (51 miles) north of Rennes, Mont Saint-Michel can be reached in about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Saint-Malo. A small and picturesque walled city, Saint-Malo is a well-loved destination for many visitors of Brittany. The walls were erected for protection against pirates and have since become the city’s main symbol. Outside the walls, the city boasts beautiful beaches and a rather unique tidal power station. Located 69km (43 miles) north of Rennes, Saint-Malo takes only 50 minutes to reach.
- Carnac. A small and quiet town, Carnac is home to some literally giant history as it is the site of a number of menhirs, prehistoric megalithic stones aligned in specific shapes. Historians and archaeologists are still unsure of the stones’ symbolic meaning to the historic peoples who erected them, but the site is undoubtedly impressive to visit. Located 140km (87 miles) southwest of Rennes, Carnac can be reached in about 1 hour and 40 minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Rennes is the Opel Corsa, followed by the Citroen C3 and the Renault Clio. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Broceliande. Also known as Paimpont, the Broceliande Forest is a legendary place as it has been identified as the woodland appearing in the legends of King Arthur. According to the myth, the forest is said to contain the Vale of No Return and the resting place of the wizard Merlin. It’s up to each visitor to decide how much of the legend is true, but Broceliande is an undoubtedly beautiful nature area that is home to unique trees and long hiking paths. Located 44km (27 miles) north of Rennes, the forest can be reached in about 40 minutes.
- Quiberon. Known as Côte Sauvage or the Wild Coast, Quiberon is a small town at the edge of a narrow peninsula. It is said to have the wildest waves in all of France, giving the place a truly special atmosphere. Many visitors love to go surfing or visit one of Quiberon’s spas. Located 158km (98 miles) southwest of Rennes, Quiberon can be reached in about 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- Armorica Regional Natural Park. A protected area on the edge of the Brittany peninsula, Armorica is made up of remote beaches, strange rock formations, wetlands, and uninhabited islands. A truly wild place that any nature lover will enjoy, the area is home to such wildlife species such as otters, beavers, various birds of prey, and even sundew, a carnivorous plant. Located 215km (133 miles) west of Rennes, Armorica can be reached in about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Car Rental Prices in Rennes
- Station wagons - from $77 per day
- Large cars - from $53 per day
- Medium cars - from $43 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $87 per day
- Premium cars - from $105 per day
- Small cars - from $34 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Get a cheap rental car in Rennes by following these simple tips:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Rennes is the cheapest in March when renting a car is about 64% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 85% cheaper than renting a vehicle in July.
Top 20 Cities near Rennes
Paris Car Rentals from $17.86 per day331.8 km / 206.2 miles away
Nice Car Rentals from $67.89 per day847.6 km / 526.7 miles away
Lyon Car Rentals from $41.81 per day562.6 km / 349.6 miles away
Marseille Car Rentals from $25.41 per day745.2 km / 463.1 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $27.01 per day368.8 km / 229.2 miles away
Toulouse Car Rentals from $30.24 per day548.6 km / 340.9 miles away
Nantes Car Rentals from $27.54 per day102.2 km / 63.5 miles away
Montpellier Car Rentals from $28.92 per day665.8 km / 413.7 miles away
Lille Car Rentals from $17.95 per day445.7 km / 276.9 miles away
Grenoble Car Rentals from $41.97 per day616.8 km / 383.2 miles away
Beauvais Car Rentals from $27.57 per day321.0 km / 199.4 miles away
Perpignan Car Rentals from $30.77 per day692.9 km / 430.5 miles away
Limoges Car Rentals from $33.71 per day330.5 km / 205.4 miles away
Toulon Car Rentals from $23.37 per day810.1 km / 503.4 miles away
Strasbourg Car Rentals from $23.37 per day694.5 km / 431.5 miles away
Caen Car Rentals from $23.37 per day154.5 km / 96.0 miles away
Massy Car Rentals from $23.37 per day304.7 km / 189.3 miles away
Biarritz Car Rentals from $18.89 per day512.1 km / 318.2 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Car Rentals from $45.61 per day749.5 km / 465.7 miles away
Carcassonne Car Rentals from $17.59 per day624.5 km / 388.0 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Rennes
Rennes–Saint-Jacques Airport Car Rentals from $22.04 per day
St Malo Railway Station Car Rentals from $22.04 per day67.0 km / 41.6 miles away
Saint Brieuc, Saint-Brieuc Railway Station Car Rentals from $17.37 per day90.5 km / 56.2 miles away
Nantes Railway Station Car Rentals from $23.37 per day96.1 km / 59.7 miles away
Nantes Airport Car Rentals from $27.54 per day102.2 km / 63.5 miles away
Angers Railway Station Car Rentals from $27.39 per day110.8 km / 68.9 miles away
Angers - Loire Airport Car Rentals from $38.18 per day120.3 km / 74.8 miles away
Lorient Railway Station Car Rentals from $17.37 per day126.8 km / 78.8 miles away
Ploemeur, Lorient South Brittany Airport Car Rentals from $22.40 per day131.9 km / 82.0 miles away
Caen Airport Car Rentals from $23.37 per day154.5 km / 96.0 miles away
Caen Railway Station Car Rentals from $21.58 per day159.5 km / 99.1 miles away
Cherbourg Railway Station Car Rentals from $24.30 per day173.8 km / 108.0 miles away
Quimper Railway Station Car Rentals from $17.37 per day175.7 km / 109.2 miles away
Brest Airport Car Rentals from $17.12 per day202.9 km / 126.1 miles away
La Rochelle – Île de Ré Airport Car Rentals from $22.66 per day214.3 km / 133.2 miles away
Poitiers-Biard Airport Car Rentals from $21.44 per day225.5 km / 140.1 miles away
Rouen Railway Station Car Rentals from $28.74 per day257.6 km / 160.1 miles away
Orleans Railway Station Car Rentals from $29.00 per day271.2 km / 168.5 miles away
Massy Railway Station Car Rentals from $23.37 per day304.7 km / 189.3 miles away
Angouleme Railway Station Car Rentals from $21.65 per day305.2 km / 189.6 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Rennes?
What’s the usual rental length in Rennes?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Rennes?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Avis||Fiat 500||2||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Avis||Peugeot 208||3||2||Small cars|
|Keddy||Citroen C3||5||Small cars|
|Keddy||Citroen C3||4||2||Small cars|
|Enterprise||Opel Vivaro||4||8||Large cars|
|Avis||Peugeot 2008||5||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Renault Mégane Estate||5||3||Station wagons|
|Alamo||Peugeot 3008||5||3||Large cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 7 Suppliers for Rennes in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.6 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email