Car Rental in Nice
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Nice?
Nice is a great destination to visit by heart. Located in the heart of French Riviera, it offers easy to access to all the main attractions of the area, and is an interesting city in its own right.
One-Way Car Rentals in Nice
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Nice and drop off in another city include:
- From Nice to Marseille - 138 offers from € 32.28 per day
- From Nice to Pescara - 12 offers from € 370.05 per day
- From Nice to Barcelona - 46 offers from € 116.28 per day
- From Nice to Milan - 15 offers from € 370.05 per day
- From Nice to Montpellier - 70 offers from € 35.94 per day
Top ways to enter Nice
- Nice Airport: The third-busiest in France (and busiest outside Paris), Nice Côte d'Azur Airport handled 13.8 million travelers in 2018. The airport has flights by more than 20 different airlines, including low-cost carriers like easyJet and Wizz Air. Located just 8 km (5 mi) west of Nice city center, the airport can be reached in about 15 minutes.
- Toulon Airport: Also known as Toulon–Hyères, this small international airport is especially active during the summer months when it hosts flights by nine different airlines; during winter, only domestic flights and flights to Charleroi in Belgium are active. Toulon Airport is 155 km (96 mi) southwest of Nice and can be reached in about 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- Marseille Provence Airport: Serving France’s second city and the surrounding region, Marseille Provence Airport handled 9.3 million travelers in 2018. In addition to many European connections, the airport also hosts flights to and from countries in Africa, the Middle East, and North America. Located 199 km (124 mi) west of Nice, Marseille Airport takes two hours to reach by car.
- Lyon Airport: Located near the border with Switzerland and serving Lyon, France’s third largest city, this airport handled 11 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a hub for Air France, as well as low-cost carriers like easyJet and Transavia. Located 475 km (295 km) north of Nice, the airport can be reached in about 4 hours and 30 minutes.
- By rail: If you’re arriving in Nice by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at the Gare de Nice-Ville Train Station.
Useful city facts
- With the urban population of more than 1 million, Nice is the fifth largest city in France.
- The main language of Nice is French. The knowledge of English varies among the local population, but many people working in the service industry speak it.
- With mild winters, but hot summers Nice is a typical Mediterranean destination. The precipitation is generally low and sometimes almost non-existent during July and August.
Top destinations and activities
- Promenade des Anglais. The most famous landmark of Nice. Walking the whole length of 7 km (4.2 mi) of this seaside promenade is a great way to get your first impressions of the city.
- Colline du Château. The castle hill offers a very scenic view of the harbour and the rest of the city. The castle itself has fallen to disrepair, but is nevertheless interesting to observe.
- The old town (Vieux Nice). Mazy and always full of life, the original settlement of Nice has something for everyone, from the the local cathedral, the Baroque Cathédrale Sainte-Réparate, and the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art (MAMAC), to a market where you can buy fruits and other produce from local farmers.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h. Unlike with inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by weather.
- Outside cities, as of July 2018 the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130 km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110 km/h, and 2- or 3- lane roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2018, hands-free mobile phone use is banned in France and the fines are hefty.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with letter A and you can recognize them by a red number sign. The fare for taking a toll road depends on the specific route, the distance length, as well as the type of your vehicle - trailer cars and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by a credit card or by cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road.
Some rental cars are equipped with toll road transporters and can use the automatic toll road payment booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with toll road transporters.
See the official French toll road website for more information. Use the website's toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Monaco. Just a half an hour’s drive east of Nice, this microstate arguably has the richest population on earth. From opulent architecture to beautiful gardens, interesting museums, and harbour full of five-star yachts, it can be a fun place to explore. Although Monaco is technically not a part of the Schengen Area, it has the same entry requirements as those of France.
- Mercantour National Park. About an hour’s drive from Nice, this beautiful nature area in the Maritime Alps has long valleys, friendly villages, and caves with petroglyphs originating in the Bronze Age.
- Cannes. Smaller than Nice and a host of the world-famous film festival, Cannes is both beautiful and cozy.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in France is the Renault Twingo, but travelers also pick the Volkswagen Polo and the Ford Fiesta a lot. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact and mini.
For more about traveling around France with a rental car, check out our complete guide.
- Avignon. A city of great historic and religious prominence, Avignon is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a more relaxed destination than the large coastal cities.
- Piedmont and Lombardy. These two nearby Italian regions should be visited not only for their famous capitals, Turin and Milan, but also because of beautiful countryside, mountain lakes, and friendly local population.
- The Alps. Winter resorts like Chamonix and Albertville are among the most famous in Europe, and it only takes about five hours to drive north of the Mediterranean to reach them.
Car Rental Prices in Nice
- Convertibles - from $163 per day
- Station wagons - from $91 per day
- Large cars - from $76 per day
- Medium cars - from $70 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $116 per day
- Premium cars - from $114 per day
- Small cars - from $58 per day
- SUVs - from $106 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
These are the ways to get a good car rental deal in Nice:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Nice is the cheapest in March when renting a car is about 42% cheaper than the yearly average and 59% cheaper than renting a car in July.
Top 20 Cities near Nice
688.8 km / 428.0 miles away
Marseille Car Rentals from $23.71 per day167.7 km / 104.2 miles away
Lyon Car Rentals from $23.51 per day298.8 km / 185.6 miles away
Toulouse Car Rentals from $23.52 per day474.4 km / 294.8 miles away
Ajaccio Car Rentals from $28.76 per day233.4 km / 145.0 miles away
Bastia Car Rentals from $28.76 per day220.6 km / 137.0 miles away
Figari Car Rentals from $47.98 per day286.2 km / 177.9 miles away
Montpellier Car Rentals from $27.10 per day266.2 km / 165.4 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $33.80 per day647.3 km / 402.2 miles away
Lille Car Rentals from $24.49 per day826.2 km / 513.4 miles away
Nantes Car Rentals from $24.70 per day790.1 km / 490.9 miles away
Toulon Car Rentals from $23.71 per day125.0 km / 77.7 miles away
Perpignan Car Rentals from $28.56 per day371.7 km / 231.0 miles away
Cannes Car Rentals from $21.52 per day30.4 km / 18.9 miles away
Grenoble Car Rentals from $24.30 per day240.5 km / 149.5 miles away
Béziers Car Rentals from $23.62 per day318.2 km / 197.7 miles away
191.2 km / 118.8 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Car Rentals from $19.58 per day159.3 km / 99.0 miles away
Biarritz Car Rentals from $28.56 per day708.7 km / 440.4 miles away
Strasbourg Car Rentals from $28.56 per day539.8 km / 335.4 miles away
Top 18 Locations near Nice
Nice Airport Car Rentals from $23.62 per day5.3 km / 3.3 miles away
Cannes - Mandelieu Airport Car Rentals from $21.52 per day30.4 km / 18.9 miles away
La Môle - Saint Tropez Airport Car Rentals from $22.34 per day83.4 km / 51.8 miles away
Toulon-Hyères Airport Car Rentals from $28.56 per day112.3 km / 69.8 miles away
Marseille-Saint-Charles Train Station Car Rentals from $23.84 per day158.3 km / 98.3 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Train Station Car Rentals from $19.58 per day159.3 km / 99.0 miles away
Marseille Provence Airport Car Rentals from $23.71 per day167.7 km / 104.2 miles away
Calvi – Sainte-Catherine Airport Car Rentals from $41.50 per day180.1 km / 111.9 miles away
Avignon Train Station Car Rentals from $26.50 per day200.6 km / 124.7 miles away
Grenoble Train Station Car Rentals from $26.63 per day207.0 km / 128.6 miles away
Moûtiers-Salins-Brides-les-Bains Train Station Car Rentals from $39.26 per day207.4 km / 128.9 miles away
Corsica Bastia - Poretta Airport Car Rentals from $28.76 per day220.6 km / 137.0 miles away
Manduel Train Station Car Rentals from $28.57 per day221.9 km / 137.9 miles away
Nimes Airport Car Rentals from $46.05 per day229.1 km / 142.3 miles away
Corsica Ajaccio Airport Car Rentals from $28.76 per day233.4 km / 145.0 miles away
Grenoble Alpes–Isère Airport Car Rentals from $24.30 per day240.5 km / 149.5 miles away
Annecy Train Station Car Rentals from $54.48 per day261.4 km / 162.4 miles away
Montpellier-Méditerranée Airport Car Rentals from $27.10 per day266.2 km / 165.4 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Nice?
What’s the usual rental length in Nice?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Nice?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Goldcar||Peugeot 108||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Interrent||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
|Rhodium||Peugeot 108||3||2||Small cars|
|Rhodium||Peugeot 208||4||1||Small cars|
|Interrent||Peugeot 108||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Tipo||5||2||Medium cars|
|Rhodium||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|