Car Hire in France
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Offers
Why hire a car in France?
France is a great country to travel around by car. From its capital, Paris, to other historic cities, the Atlantic coast in the west, the Mediterranean in the south, and the Alps in the east, you could explore it for weeks or even months without growing bored.
If you want to know more about hiring a car in France, don't miss our complete guide.
One-way Car Hire in France
Here are the most popular one-way car hire options for pickup in France and drop off in another country:
- From France to Italy - 366 offers from £ 308.22 per day
- From France to Spain - 260 offers from £ 79.43 per day
- From France to Germany - 285 offers from £ 55.28 per day
- From France to Switzerland - 81 offers from £ 60.10 per day
- From France to Netherlands - 48 offers from £ 141.19 per day
Top ways to enter France
- Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport: Largest in France and one of the busiest airports in Europe.
- Nice Airport: Best way to reach southern France’s Cote d’Azur.
- Bordeaux Airport: Serves not only the city of Bordeaux, but also much of the coastal Southwest France.
- Marseille Airport: Serves France’s second city in the country’s south.
- By land: If your car hire provider permits it, you can pick up a car in a neighboring country and then drive to France. Some large airports near France include Barcelona Airport in Spain, Brussels Airport in Belgium, and Geneva Airport in Switzerland.
- By Sea: Ferries arrive from vairous locations including the United Kingdom in ferry ports like the Cherbourg Ferry Port.
Top cities and places to visit
- Paris: The Eiffel Tower, Champs-Élysées, and the Notre Dame Cathedral are just some of the world-famous landmarks and sites of Paris.
- Cote d’Azur: Relaxed and picturesque, this coastal stretch along the Mediterranean is the perfect place to enjoy life.
- The Alps: France’s high mountains offer stunning landscapes and opportunities for winter sports while valley towns like Chambery are among the most picturesque you’ll find anywhere in Europe.
- Southwest France: From wine-making Bordeaux to surfing paradise in Biarritz and the foothills of Pyrenees, this part of France is just as captivating as some of the more famous destinations.
- Brittany: Home to a proud local culture and beautiful Atlantic beaches, Brittany is one of the calmest and coziest places in all of the land.
- Dijon: The capital of Burgundy is about 340 km south east of Paris. Dijon is a good place to visit for a day or two with its relaxing historic center. Visitors should also be sure to try the Burgundy wine.
Most popular hire car
The most hired car in France is the Renault Twingo, but travelers also love the Volkswagen Polo and the Ford Fiesta.
Most popular types of hire car
The most hired car type in France is an economy, followed by compact and mini.
Top driving routes
- Paris - Brussels (325 km / 202 mi) Brussels, the capital of the European Union (EU), can be reached in less than four hours, and other Belgian cities like Antwerp and Ghent are just a little bit further. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car hire company in advance to make sure they permit it.
- Nice - Milan (317 km / 197 mi) The Italian metropolis is at the foothills of the Alps, but you can reach it from the Mediterranean Coast in only four hours. It’s also possible to visit Monaco on the way. Note that to visit Milan from Nice (or vice versa) you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car hire provider first to make sure they permit it.
- Marseille - Barcelona (507 km / 315 mi) Second cities of France and Spain are just five hours apart, though you may want to explore the nature reserves and the Costa Brava beaches on the way. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car hire provider first to make sure they permit it.
Car Hire Prices
- Convertibles - starting at £ 72 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 56 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 47 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 36 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - starting at £ 69 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 86 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 27 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 70 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car hire deal in France:
- Compare rates of different car hire companies
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the car hire prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting France is the cheapest in March when hiring a car is about 20% cheaper than the yearly average and about 38% cheaper than hiring a car in December.
Top 16 Most Popular Cities in France
Car Hire in Paris starting at £ 23.15 per day
Car Hire in Lyon starting at £ 26.79 per day
Car Hire in Marseille starting at £ 46.79 per day
Car Hire in Nice starting at £ 27.81 per day
Car Hire in Toulouse starting at £ 16.68 per day
Car Hire in Bordeaux starting at £ 24.20 per day
Car Hire in Montpellier starting at £ 19.40 per day
Car Hire in Nantes starting at £ 17.68 per day
Car Hire in Bastia starting at £ 20.59 per day
Car Hire in Figari starting at £ 34.36 per day
Car Hire in Ajaccio starting at £ 20.59 per day
Car Hire in Strasbourg starting at £ 20.45 per day
Car Hire in Grenoble starting at £ 17.40 per day
Car Hire in Toulon starting at £ 16.98 per day
Car Hire in Perpignan starting at £ 20.45 per day
Car Hire in Caen starting at £ 16.83 per day
Top 12 Most Popular Destinations in France
Car Hire at Paris Orly Airport South starting at £ 16.98 per day
Car Hire at Pau Pyrenees Airport starting at £ 16.91 per day
Car Hire at Nice Railway Station starting at £ 16.91 per day
Car Hire at Marseille Port starting at £ 16.98 per day
Car Hire Manduel Railway Station starting at £ 24.02 per day
Car Hire at Tours Airport starting at £ 16.84 per day
Car Hire at Massy Railway Station starting at £ 17.07 per day
Car Hire at Bordeaux Railway Station starting at £ 24.20 per day
Car Hire at Beauvais–Tillé Airport starting at £ 20.59 per day
Car Hire at Valence Railway Station starting at £ 20.59 per day
Car Hire at Nantes Railway Station starting at £ 17.68 per day
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in France?
How many days do people keep their hire cars, on average, in France?
What month is the most favoured for hiring a car in France?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Goldcar||Peugeot 108||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
|Keddy||Peugeot 208||4||2||Small cars|
|Alamo||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|Hertz||Fiat 500||3||2||Small cars|
|Europcar||Peugeot 208||4||2||Small cars|