Car Rental Lille
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Lille?
Lille is a great place to visit. Its Flemish-influenced old city has plenty of beautiful churches, palaces, and museums. The city also doesn’t shy away from its more recent industrial past and there are many attractions and landmarks connected to it. After seeing Lille, you can explore the rest of Northwest France or even travel over the border to visit one of its neighbors, Belgium or the United Kingdom.
Top ways to enter Lille
- Lille Airport: Also known as Lille-Lesquin, the largest airport of Northwestern France served 2 million travelers in 2018. The airport is popular with a number of low-cost carriers like easyJet, Vueling, and Volotea. Located just 11km (6.8 miles) south of Lille center, the airport can be reached in about 15 minutes.
- Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport: By far the largest in France and one of the busiest in the world, Paris-Charles de Gaulle handled more than 72 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a hub for Air France, easyJet, Norwegian Air Shuttle, and other companies, and is served by more than 70 different airlines. Located 200km (125 miles) south of Lille, it can be reached in about 1 hour and 50 minutes.
- Beauvais Airport: Sometimes called Tille Airport and also Paris-Beauvais, this small airport in the Picardy region is a hub for low-cost companies like Ryanair and Wizz Air. The airport offers many domestic connections, as well as flights to and from destinations in Eastern and Southern Europe and in North Africa. Located 195km (121 miles) south of Lille, the airport can be reached in about two hours.
- Charleroi Airport: Often also called Brussels-South, this small airport provides a cheap alternative to reach the Belgian capital, but is also near the French border and Lille. As of 2019, the airport has flights by nine different airlines, most of them low-cost companies. Charleroi Airport is just 120km (75 miles) east of Lille and takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes to reach. Since you’d have to cross a border, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it. An alternative is to go from Charleroi to Lille by public transportation and to pick up a rental car after arriving in France.
- Brussels Airport: Serving the capital of the European Union and NATO, Brussels-Zaventem handles 25 million travelers every year. The airport provides flights to and from most European countries, as well as destinations in Africa, Asia, and the Americas. The airport is 130km (78 miles) northeast of Lille and can be reached in about 90 minutes. Like with Charleroi Airport, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit you crossing the international border.
- By rail: If you arrive in Lille by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car either at the Lille Europe Railway Station or at the Lille Flandres Railway Station.
Useful city facts
- Located near the North Sea and the English Channel, Lille has a temperate oceanic climate. The average high temperature is 23°C (74°F) in July and August, the warmest months, and 6°C (43°F) in January. Precipitation in the city is quite even throughout the year, with a small drop from June to September. Lille experiences at least some snow every winter.
- Often referred to as being at the crossroads of Western Europe, Lille is only 300km (185 miles) or less from four of Europe’s most famous and influential capitals, Paris, Brussels, London, and Amsterdam. Cologne and Dusseldorf, two of Germany’s largest cities, are also only about 320km (200 miles) from Lille.
Top destinations and activities
- Palais des Beaux-Arts. Established in 1809 under Napoleon's orders, Lille Palace of Fine Arts was one of the first museums in Western Europe. The museum has a vast collection of paintings, including works by world-famous artists like Donatello, Pieter Boel, Francisco de Goya, and Pablo Picasso as well as displays of sculptures and print work.
- Citadel of Lille. The pentagon-shaped Citadel of Lille was built in the 17th century as part of the historic city walls. Although Lille has since spread far outside of its original borders, the citadel remains one of the symbols of the city. Today, it is surrounded by beautiful gardens as well as a zoo that visitors can enter free of charge.
- Vieille Bourse. The former home of Lille Chamber of Commerce and Industry, the Vieille Bourse is not only a beautiful building but also the center of one of the city’s most interesting neighborhoods. Situated between the Theater Squarer and de Gaulle Square, the area is full of art galleries, bookshops, and performance venues.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30km/h. Unlike with inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by weather.
- Outside cities, as of July 2018 the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110km/h, and 2- or 3- lane roads to 90km/h. During the rain, the limits are respectively lowered to 110km/h, 100km/h, and 80km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2018, hands-free mobile phone use is banned in France and the fines are hefty.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with the letter A and you can recognize them by a red number sign. The fee for taking a toll road depends on the specific route, distance, and the type of your vehicle - cars with trailers and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by credit card or with cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road that will indicate where you got on. Then you have to pay for the distance you have traveled upon exiting the road.
Some rental cars are equipped with transponders and can use automatic toll booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with transponders.
See the official French toll road website for more information. Use the website's toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Amiens. The city of Amiens is best known for Amiens Cathedral. The tallest cathedral in France, it is a UNESCO World Heritage site and is considered by many to be one of the most impressive Gothic buildings in the world. Amiens has plenty of other beautiful architecture as well as the Jules Verne Museum celebrating one of the fathers of science fiction writing. Located 140km (87 miles) southwest of Lille, Amiens can be reached in about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Brugge. Also known as Bruges, this city in Belgian Flanders is one of the most picturesque places in Europe. Thousands of visitors come here every year to enjoy the medieval old town, the Basilica of the Holy Blood, and the view from the Belfry Tower (its 366 stairs are narrow and steep, but the reward at the top is worth it). Located just 80km (50 miles) north of Lille, Brugge can be reached in about one hour by car. You’d have to cross an international border, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- Dunkirk. The small town of Dunkirk is famous for its role in the Second World War. There are plenty of sites and attractions connected to it, such as the Allies Memorial and the Dunkirk War Museum. But from the Port Museum’s retelling of Dunkirk’s maritime and trading history to the Dunkirk Belfry, the city has more to offer, Located 82km (50 miles) northwest of Lille, Dunkirk can be reached in about one hour.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Lille is the Ford Focus, closely followed by the Renault Megane and the Citroen C3. The most popular rental car types are the mini, economy, and compact classes.
- Paris. From the Eiffel Tower to Montmartre and from Sacré Cœur to Moulin Rouge, the City of Light has more famous landmarks than it’s possible to list. Yes, there are plenty of tourists, but that’s only because the city has so much on offer. Located 225km (140 miles) south of Lille, Paris is just 2 hours and 20 minutes away.
- Brittany. The peninsula of Brittany is the westernmost region of France. A diverse and culturally unique place, it has plenty to explore including the megalithic stone structures erected by the prehistoric inhabitants of France, long rocky beaches, inland mountain villages, and centers celebrating the native Celtic Breton culture. Rennes, the nearest large city of Brittany, is 570km (354 miles) southwest of Lille and can be reached in about 5 hours and 15 minutes.
- London. A melting pot, a pioneering city, and a global metropolis, London is unlike any other city in Europe. A hub of arts, music, finance, innovation, cuisine, and practically anything else that one can imagine, it can be explored for days, if not weeks or months. Located just 280km (175 miles) northwest of Lille, it can be reached by car in four hours. You’d be crossing an international border, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it. If not, it’s possible to go by public transportation and pick up a rental car after arriving in London. Also,check to see if you need a visa to enter the UK - unlike France, the country is not a member of the Schengen Area.
Car Rental Prices in Lille
- Station wagons - from $56 per day
- Large cars - from $53 per day
- Medium cars - from $39 per day
- People Carriers / Vans - from $90 per day
- Premium cars - from $99 per day
- Small cars - from $28 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Follow these tips and land a great rental car in Lille:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Lille is the cheapest in August when renting a car is about 36% cheaper than the yearly average. Come visit the north of France at the height of summer!
Top 20 Cities near Lille
Paris Car Rentals from $17.97 per day177.0 km / 110.0 miles away
Nice Car Rentals from $68.28 per day827.9 km / 514.4 miles away
Lyon Car Rentals from $42.05 per day550.0 km / 341.7 miles away
Marseille Car Rentals from $25.56 per day808.6 km / 502.5 miles away
Toulouse Car Rentals from $30.41 per day781.2 km / 485.4 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $27.16 per day697.7 km / 433.5 miles away
Nantes Car Rentals from $27.70 per day511.1 km / 317.6 miles away
Montpellier Car Rentals from $29.08 per day778.9 km / 484.0 miles away
Grenoble Car Rentals from $42.21 per day601.9 km / 374.0 miles away
Beauvais Car Rentals from $27.73 per day141.6 km / 88.0 miles away
Perpignan Car Rentals from $30.94 per day870.0 km / 540.6 miles away
Limoges Car Rentals from $33.90 per day541.6 km / 336.5 miles away
Strasbourg Car Rentals from $23.51 per day397.6 km / 247.1 miles away
Rennes Car Rentals from $22.17 per day445.7 km / 276.9 miles away
Toulon Car Rentals from $23.51 per day854.4 km / 530.9 miles away
Caen Car Rentals from $23.51 per day296.9 km / 184.5 miles away
Massy Car Rentals from $23.51 per day211.6 km / 131.5 miles away
Biarritz Car Rentals from $19.00 per day862.7 km / 536.1 miles away
Carcassonne Car Rentals from $17.69 per day819.1 km / 509.0 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Car Rentals from $45.87 per day808.2 km / 502.2 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Lille
Lille Europe Railway Station Car Rentals from $26.73 per day
Villeneuve d`Ascq, Lille Villeneuve d'Ascq Car Rentals from $23.51 per day3.4 km / 2.1 miles away
Lille Airport Car Rentals from $18.05 per day8.5 km / 5.3 miles away
Beauvais–Tillé Airport Car Rentals from $27.73 per day148.6 km / 92.3 miles away
Reims Railway Station Car Rentals from $22.79 per day167.8 km / 104.3 miles away
Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport Car Rentals from $17.97 per day185.1 km / 115.0 miles away
Paris Airport Le Bourget Car Rentals from $70.50 per day191.2 km / 118.8 miles away
Rouen Railway Station Car Rentals from $28.90 per day193.7 km / 120.4 miles away
Paris Orly Airport Car Rentals from $50.87 per day218.8 km / 136.0 miles away
Massy Railway Station Car Rentals from $23.51 per day219.5 km / 136.4 miles away
Metz-Nancy-Lorraine Airport Car Rentals from $17.24 per day293.0 km / 182.1 miles away
Caen Railway Station Car Rentals from $21.70 per day294.1 km / 182.8 miles away
Caen Airport Car Rentals from $23.51 per day300.5 km / 186.7 miles away
Orleans Railway Station Car Rentals from $29.17 per day315.9 km / 196.3 miles away
Cherbourg Railway Station Car Rentals from $24.44 per day352.9 km / 219.3 miles away
Dijon Railway Station Car Rentals from $17.24 per day395.2 km / 245.6 miles away
Strasbourg Airport Car Rentals from $23.51 per day402.9 km / 250.3 miles away
Angers - Loire Airport Car Rentals from $38.40 per day421.9 km / 262.1 miles away
St Malo Railway Station Car Rentals from $22.17 per day427.5 km / 265.6 miles away
Tavaux, Dole Airport Car Rentals from $39.95 per day435.5 km / 270.6 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Lille?
What’s the usual rental length in Lille?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Lille?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Keddy||Citroen C3||5||Small cars|
|Keddy||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Citroen C3||4||2||Small cars|
|SIXT||Peugeot 3008||4||3||Large cars|
|Keddy||Citroen C3||4||2||Small cars|
|SIXT||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|Avis||Fiat 500||2||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Fiat 500||2||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Peugeot 508||5||3||Large cars|
|SIXT||BMW X3 xDrive||5||2||SUVs|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 7 Suppliers for Lille in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.6 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email